Page 41 of 107 FirstFirst ... 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 ... LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,025 of 2663
    Pushing for the PR! Gotta beat 49:09...

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Hubbs View Post
    An 11 speed freehub body width is 39.0mm. An 11 speed cassette is 39.0mm. To run a 10sp cassette (which is 37.2) on the 11sp freehub you need to add a 1.8mm spacer behind the 10sp cassette.
    I hope that what you meant by "spacers", and hope that helps.
    Thanks! I went to a bike shop and explained the situation and they sold me a 1.8 mm spacer...but that didn't do it, I needed to add another 1 mm-ish spacer to take out the play in the cassette. Does that sound crazy?

KTOverdrive, thanks for letting me know, I might have just stuck with the 11-speed in erg mode, but I'm too far down the road now, so full speed ahead, I guess. If all else fails, the bike shop said I could bring the trainer and my bike down there and they would set it up for me. Hoping not to have to resort to that, but we'll see.

Re: the tech side of things, it sounds like I can use the Zwift Companion app on my phone to connect to the trainer and heart rate monitor and then my phone can talk to the computer via our wi-fi network (or maybe BT?). I'll get there.

Zwift, TR, Sufferfest etc

Quote Originally Posted by dan_pdx View Post
    Thanks! I went to a bike shop and explained the situation and they sold me a 1.8 mm spacer...but that didn't do it, I needed to add another 1 mm-ish spacer to take out the play in the cassette. Does that sound crazy?
    You are not crazy.
    Sorry, let me be a bit more precise, A 11 speed HG road freehub body width is 39.0mm. An 11 speed road cassette is 39.0mm. To run a 10sp road cassette (which is 36.2) on the 11sp road freehub you need to add a 1mm plus a 1.8mm spacer behind the 10sp cassette.
    A standard 8/9/10 speed freehub for both MTB and Road is the same width of 37.2mm. When they built the 10 speed cassette it turned out to be 1mm narrower than its previous 8 and 9 speed cassettes.
    So you needed a 1mm spacer to run a 10sp cassette on a standard 8/9/10 freehub.
    11 speed MTB cassettes (11-34 and larger) have the same spacing as 8 and 9 speed cassettes and can be run on HG road or MTB freehubs because the largest cog overhangs the freehub body to gain that extra 1.85mm.

Your trainer most likely has a HG road freehub. You can run:
    11 speed road w no spacer
    8 or 9 speed road with 1.85 spacer
    8 or 9 or 11 speed MTB with 1.85 spacer
    OR 10 speed with a 1mm spacer plus 1.85mm
    spacer.
    Gawd I love bike standards. I know what I'm trying to say, and i think I explained it properly, but forgive me as I’ve had a few Whiskys tonight.
    Last edited by Dee Hubbs; 01-19-2021 at 01:38 AM.

I've been checking out different apps with my KICKR Snap for the last month or so, and yesterday got Zwift going. Did the intro ride, and I can see where this could be fun. The other apps I've tried (Rouvy and BKOOL) were good/decent., but Zwift seems to control the trainer a bit mo'bettah, and the graphics are way better looking that the videos of the other two apps. This probably has to do with my 10-11 year old MacBook more than anything, but it's nice that Zwift works on some janky old tech.

Shot of the "pain cave" which is really just my basement workshop. Bikes are hanging out of frame to the right, from the wall opposite the skis.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	full-trucker-pain-cave.jpeg 
Views:	61 
Size:	787.0 KB 
ID:	358647

I followed Dee Hubbs this morning, would like to try and join for the TGR group ride tonight. Like many others have said, I'm not sure I'll be able to keep up but I'll give it a whirl.

Quote Originally Posted by jamal View Post
    Even the wheel-on trainers with power measurement can be suspect because it's so dependent on tire pressure and tension.
    How dependent would you say? This is one thing I haven't dicked around with much. I did find that using a gravel tire is a terrible idea, and once I got a trainer tire on the bike it seemed to make a lot of difference. With the gravel tire, riding X miles and Y feet on the trainer would take substantially longer than a similar X miles and Y foot ride on dirt. Now they seem a bit more equal... ish.

Quote Originally Posted by XtrPickels View Post
    One of the nice things about Zwift is that it runs fairly well on so many different platforms. Yes, a powerful system will give you 4K graphics etc, but a phone will also give you an accurate experience.
    Agreed on this, see my comment above about the 10-11 year old MacBook. Zwift works better on that than the other 2-3 apps I've tried.

Quote Originally Posted by Iowagriz View Post
    Tuesday 6pm MST
    Thursday 4pm MST

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
    Yeeew. Gonna try and join tonight... probably won't join Thursday (might night ride or tour during the day which would mean work in the evening) and then my 7-day trial will be done. Gonna try Sufferfest next, but so far I really see the appeal of this Zwift thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    Kickr Snap?

https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2931629/

I really want a wheel off, but can't justify freaking $800 to ride my bike indoors. But, this will maybe just feel like a bandaid until I can get a better trainer?

The feel of my current trainer is annoying for sure. Having been on a wheel-off trainer I see how that experience is so much better.
    I scored a KICKR Snap off Craig's List for a decent price, works just fine. It's a good enough entry point for me, this is the first trainer (smart or otherwise) that I've ever owned. I could see springing for a wheel-on if I end up doing the indoor cycling thing long term though.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandbox View Post
    Finally got my first ride in a couple of days ago. It was some type of intro ride around watopia.... I enjoyed it a lot actually. Pushed myself more then I normally would on a trainer and just watching TV. Still trying to perfect my setup as I have my iPad connected to a TV but it still needs to be in reach to interact with the app.

I’m gonna look at my trainer settings today and see what my difficulty is setup as.

Overall I think I will enjoy it tho!

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    This.
    The older I get, the faster I was.

Punch it, Chewie.

Damn he seems cool.

You are not crazy.
    Sorry, let me be a bit more precise, A 11 speed HG road freehub body width is 39.0mm. An 11 speed road cassette is 39.0mm. To run a 10sp road cassette (which is 36.2) on the 11sp road freehub you need to add a 1mm plus a 1.8mm spacer behind the 10sp cassette.
    A standard 8/9/10 speed freehub for both MTB and Road is the same width of 37.2mm. When they built the 10 speed cassette it turned out to be 1mm narrower than its previous 8 and 9 speed cassettes.
    So you needed a 1mm spacer to run a 10sp cassette on a standard 8/9/10 freehub.
    11 speed MTB cassettes (11-34 and larger) have the same spacing as 8 and 9 speed cassettes and can be run on HG road or MTB freehubs because the largest cog overhangs the freehub body to gain that extra 1.85mm.

spacer.
    Gawd I love bike standards. I know what I'm trying to say, and i think I explained it properly, but forgive me as I’ve had a few Whiskys tonight.
    Dee...I'm curious. I've seen some DD trainers that come with the 1.8mm spacer but what about the 1mm? Does that come with the 10 speed cassette or is it an extra?
    The Sheriff is near!

spacer.
    Thanks! That makes sense and seems to reflect what I have - the 10 speed with 1mm spacer plus 1.85 mm. I may be able to get the last bugs out tonight, we'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by Garth Bimble View Post
    Dee...I'm curious. I've seen some DD trainers that come with the 1.8mm spacer but what about the 1mm? Does that come with the 10 speed cassette or is it an extra?
    Yes, typically in the packaging with the 10sp cassette. But also common for a shop to have a bunch these as aftermarket parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Full Trucker View Post
    I followed Dee Hubbs this morning, would like to try and join for the TGR group ride tonight. Like many others have said, I'm not sure I'll be able to keep up but I'll give it a whirl.
    You're on the 2x weekly invites now.

I’ve always avoided, as an adult, buying a video game system (Xbox etc) as I know I’d be the guy firing it up at midnight “just to play for a little bit” and then I’d be still up at 3:30am playing and eating Doritos and ballooning up in weight.

My wife has been using the Peloton app with our spin bike for years - I’ve used it on occasion but never got hooked (it does a great job at what it’s supposed to offer though).

Zwift on the other hand is probably stimulating that same part of my brain that gets hooked on video games. Doing all the routes, leveling up, collecting drops, deciding what equipment to buy, competing against other fat people in sprints for 30th place in a C league event - I’m hooked. Except instead of eating Doritos I’m burning calories - what a time to be alive.

(I still eat junk food and drink beer after - just with less guilt)

——

Edit: Full Trucker - that’s a great looking cave/workshop

Quote Originally Posted by bennymac View Post
    Zwift on the other hand is probably stimulating that same part of my brain that gets hooked on video games.
    Because it's a video game right?

Full Trucker - that’s a great looking cave/workshop
    Thanks mang. Gets the job done, and there's a futon and beer fridge 2 steps from where the pic was taken so it sometimes feels a little too much like home. Heh.

Punch it, Chewie.

Damn he seems cool.

I’ve always avoided, as an adult, buying a video game system (Xbox etc) as I know I’d be the guy firing it up at midnight “just to play for a little bit” and then I’d be still up at 3:30am playing and eating Doritos and ballooning up in weight.
    Zwift on the other hand is probably stimulating that same part of my brain that gets hooked on video games. Doing all the routes, leveling up, collecting drops, deciding what equipment to buy, competing against other fat people in sprints for 30th place in a C league event - I’m hooked. Except instead of eating Doritos I’m burning calories - what a time to be alive.

(I still eat junk food and drink beer after - just with less guilt)

——

Edit: Full Trucker - that’s a great looking cave/workshop
    Did you just read my mind? I found chasing the route badges & Tour de Zwift a great way to motivate last winter w/o doing a serious training program on Zwift or TrainerRoad (which if I still cared about being really fast is really the best IMO).

Same on the video games as an adult, we just got a Nintendo Switch for the kids and I've been playing Zelda after they go to bed w/ some consistency. I have been able to pull myself away for Zwift or spending time with my wife though.... but at least a few times looked at the clock and promised myself i'd get up in 10 more minutes on repeat.

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Fuck yeah. Just got a huge birthday gift cert for backcountry and just pulled the trigger on a Tacx Flux S.

Fuck yeah. Just got a huge birthday gift cert for backcountry and just pulled the trigger on a Tacx Flux S.
    Nice score!!

Quote Originally Posted by carpathian View Post
    Pushing for the PR! Gotta beat 49:09...

Man. I’m a pussy. I’m like an hour slower than that. Stage three took me almost 1:40.

Great ride tonight.
    9 guys with 2 first timers.

Name:	IMG_8136.JPG 
Views:	35 
Size:	485.5 KB 
ID:	358765
    New guy Bennymac
    New guy Full Tucker
    Dee Hubbs (D.H.)
    Jamal (P.L.)
    Lowagriz (T.A.) (the other T.A.)
    Huckbucket (PMJ)
    grmountainman (GR)
    Justcuz (K.R.)
    Vtskibum (M.P.)
    Last edited by Dee Hubbs; 01-19-2021 at 09:22 PM.

that was a great workout - definitely earned some pizza slices
    Thanks everyone!

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Great ride tonight.

New guy Bennymac
    New guy Full Tucker
    Dee Hubbs (D.H.)
    Jamal (P.L.)
    WhiteroomGurdian (T.A.)
    Huckbucket (PMJ)
    grmountainman (GR)
    Justcuz (K.R.)
    Vtskibum (M.P.)
    Lol, I was definitely not there tonight unless someone else is now rolling in the Zwift world as Trey Anastasio.

Quote Originally Posted by justcuz View Post
    Man. I’m a pussy. I’m like an hour slower than that. Stage three took me almost 1:40.

...and I think I'm a pussy compared to the guys doing it in 35 min. Do what you can do and you WILL get faster if you keep it up for a while. (and you can eat unlimited ice cream, beer and pizza!)

Great ride tonight.

New guy Bennymac
    New guy Full Tucker
    Dee Hubbs (D.H.)
    Jamal (P.L.)
    WhiteroomGurdian (T.A.)
    Huckbucket (PMJ)
    grmountainman (GR)
    Justcuz (K.R.)
    Vtskibum (M.P.)
    Thanks for the hospitality, gents. That was honestly super fun, and yeah I pushed it for me which is awesome. And now i'm gonna eat half of this 13x9 baking dish of enchilada casserole...

Punch it, Chewie.

Damn he seems cool.

Lol, I was definitely not there tonight unless someone else is now rolling in the Zwift world as Trey Anastasio.
    Lowagriz, the other T.A. Ha!
    Sorry I made that post while soaking my legs in an epsom salt bath, and I trying to match names off of memory.

Iowagriz is T.A.

Full and I pushed each other to the end. It was a good ride. Definitely a learning curve for the first timers. I saw FT and Beni figuring out the draft by lap 2.

It gets easier as you learn the course and nuances of what is going on. Watching others output, watching your own output, knowing what is coming on the course.

For others that are curious about joining, it takes a few times to get comfortable, but it is a fun group.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

That's really fast up adz especially for a not, uh, really light person. 35min is pro territory.

Fun ride tonight, I figured VTskibum was gunning for me after last week so I decided to go on the offensive first. Funny how they start out as a friendly group ride and then end with approaching my best power curve from like 1-5min.

Couple tips for staying in the group:

-if you get shot to the front, or even ahead a bit, don't ever fully stop pedaling, just keep things even or ease off slightly, the group will come back to you. It's not like real life where you can coast a bit. Doing that in zwift is like braking and it'll kick you out the back. If you want to go easier, you still have to keep it within like 0.5-1 w/kg of the rest of the group.

Also, the group effect makes you go faster with pretty low effort, so it's really hard to catch back up once you get a little too far back. So try to avoid that. For the people in the group, it's good to keep an eye on the time gaps and everyone has to really slow up. I'd suggest like 1.0 w/kg when the main group is waiting up.
    Last edited by jamal; 01-19-2021 at 09:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Iowagriz View Post
    Iowagriz is T.A.

Full and I pushed each other to the end. It was a good ride. Definitely a learning curve for the first timers. I saw FT and Beni figuring out the draft by lap 2.

It gets easier as you learn the course and nuances of what is going on. Watching others output, watching your own output, knowing what is coming on the course.

For others that are curious about joining, it takes a few times to get comfortable, but it is a fun group.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk
    Yeah man, that was awesome you were there on that last lap. I would not have kept pushing so hard until the end without you there. I wish I could have taken another pull or two or three to give you a draft, but I was coooooooked.

I'd also say to anyone considering joining, it sounds more intimidating than it is. I'm a bigger guy at 205 lbs so I gotta push some watts to keep up. Once you get the drafting figured out, it's pretty possible to stay with the group. My approach to keeping in the draft was simply to pedal a little harder anytime the game told me to "Close the gap"... seemed to work okay.

Second the idea that learning the course and nuances is (will be) super helpful... knowing where to push it some, how long the efforts are, NOT to do the sprint the game has designated because all that's gonna do is blow you up, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by jamal View Post
    That's really fast up adz especially for a not, uh, really light person. 35min is pro territory.

Fun ride tonight, I figured VTskibum was gunning for me after last week so I decided to go on the offensive first. Funny how they start out as a friendly group ride and then end with approaching my best power curve from like 1-5min.

Couple tips for staying in the group:

-if you get shot to the front, or even ahead a bit, don't ever fully stop pedaling, just keep things even or ease off slightly, the group will come back to you. It's not like real life where you can coast a bit. Doing that in zwift is like braking and it'll kick you out the back. If you want to go easier, you still have to keep it within like 0.5 w/kg of the rest of the group.

Also, the group effect makes you go faster with pretty low effort, so it's really hard to catch back up once you get a little too far back. So try to avoid that. For the people in the group, it's good to keep an eye on the time gaps and everyone has to really slow up. I'd suggest like 1.0 w/kg when the main group is waiting up.
    Can 362% confirm that it's really hard to catch back up once you get a little too far back... just like in real life.

Punch it, Chewie.

Damn he seems cool.

Here's your top 20 up AdZ from Zwift Power. Couple of former (cough ... juiced ... cough) pros on there.

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-01-19 at 11.13.17 PM.png 
Views:	33 
Size:	348.6 KB 
ID:	358780

Jesus some of those guys are under 120lbs. Featherweight power machines.

I bet they don’t float very well.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident