Page 6 of 107 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Zwift, TR, Sufferfest etc

Alright, I’m on board. Got a Wahoo Kickr when the 2017s went on closeout for $800. Setup is Kickr, Wahoo Tickr, Rotor InPower power meter, Zwift. Zwift uses the Kickr for power output and just uses the InPower for cadence, which is fine. I use a tripod mount for my Ipad with bluetooth connection and so far it’s been fine but will look into an Ant+ dongle if things go south. Also have a full spectrum light in the garage so I can theoretically get some vitimin D while I’m in the pain cave, hahaha.

Finally got it all set up and working. Had some bad shifting issues and finally got it sorted out by replacing the low end SRAM cassette that came on the Kickr with my Ultegra one, and added an inline barrel adjuster to the cable. Figured out I need to keep my Elmnt Bolt OFF so it doesn’t compete for connectivity with Zwift.

Zwift is fun, definitely infinitely easier to stay at it than just rollers. The kickr obviously provides way better power output. One drawback of the 2017 Kickr is it’s louder than the new ones. Not terrible but quite a bit louder than my rollers. I guess the new one is much more quiet and so are the Tacx from what I gather. It would be cool to have something that gives tactile feedback for different surfaces but that shit gets real expensive. A big screen for the garage would also be nice but it’s pretty low on the list. My garage is detached and not heated and I like it that way for riding. Need to find one of those fans with a remote.

Looking forward to using this thing more now that I have the bugs worked out!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0306.JPG 
Views:	84 
Size:	790.8 KB 
ID:	313716
    There's nothing better than sliding down snow, and flying through the air

Be sure to get the Zwift companion app for your phone. Makes using the power-ups way easier. And you can check upcoming races/events. I got booted out of C class into B, this last stage of tour de Zwift is gonna hurt!
    crab in my shoe mouth

Nice, will do. Good work on getting bumped, hahaha!

As you level up, you can start to spend your drops/fake money on nicer frames and wheels. Around level 10 or 11 I upgraded to a sick Cannondale with Enve wheels. It’s for sure faster than the stock bike.
    crab in my shoe mouth

My setup. I trashed my old road wheel (11sp) and didn't have a spare other than my deep carbons which I'm not putting on a trainer. So now I've got my cross bike (10sp) set up on it which is actually really nice. It's a little more upright. Super comfy.

Name:	Annotation 2020-02-03 154447.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	215.4 KB 
ID:	313754

Name:	Annotation 2020-02-03 154355.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	320.4 KB 
ID:	313755

I have no pictures, but made the plunge and bought a Tacx Flux S. I'm using Zwift and liking it.

Curiously, though, I have Zwift set for maximum trainer difficulty in settings (it whatever it's called) but cannot notice a difficulty change on my trainer when I hit a hill. I don't have to shift even though the guy on the screen goes a bit slower.

Should my trainer get harder when I hit a hill and require that I downshift?

Seth

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by sethschmautz View Post
    I have no pictures, but made the plunge and bought a Tacx Flux S. I'm using Zwift and liking it.

Curiously, though, I have Zwift set for maximum trainer difficulty in settings (it whatever it's called) but cannot notice a difficulty change on my trainer when I hit a hill. I don't have to shift even though the guy on the screen goes a bit slower.

Should my trainer get harder when I hit a hill and require that I downshift?

Seth

Does the trainer connect via bluetooth during setup? If so, did you do the calibration? Short answer is yes ... it should get noticeably harder when you hit a hill. Even an increase in grade of 1% should be obvious depending on your speed. See the grade in the upper right hand corner.

Yeah for sure you should notice a difference. Try to climb the alpe de Zwift on max setting and your knees will explode! I run mine closer to the lower setting. I’m a high RPM freak. If you don’t have a cadence sensor you should get one. My rides, I average 90 rpms or higher. It doesn’t make you a cheater if you run the setting lower, you just have to spin high rpms to generate watts.
    crab in my shoe mouth

Even just getting in someone’s draft on the flats it gets noticeably easier. I drop around 20-30 watts at the same speed. Do you have a cadence sensor, is Zwift giving you power readings? Something’s fucky for sure.

I have my trainer smack in the middle of the resistance and I’m using the whole cassette.

My first race went pretty good got a new 20 min average of 371 putting me at 351 FTP... which is right at 4.0, bottom end of A class

Next 3 stages race not so good

I got down graded from A class because 20 min average in last 3 races was under 4.0 w'kg so now B... so sad but can still race A for regained glory lol

As sad as it is I was worn out from too much skiing pow and ended up missing my Stage 5 race... gotta check the make up dates. ButtahFlake you figured out ZwiftPOwer.com yet? I guess you did because you got bumped up or do they notify you elsewhere?

I have to say it was noticeable lack of power after skiing all week

IN other news as of last night Im at 99% done in achieving Tron Bike!! Only need 1600' vert and she is mine. Might get it tonight...

Yes, it connects and I've run the calibration. The calibration is a spin down. I'll try to give Tacx a call this week.

Seth

Go to www.zwiftpower.com and check out the forum there. All things Zwift related might have Tacx answers

Yes, it connects and I've run the calibration. The calibration is a spin down. I'll try to give Tacx a call this week.

Seth

Maybe try a separate calibration using the Rouvy app on your phone. Quick and painless.

Quote Originally Posted by carpathian View Post
    My first race went pretty good got a new 20 min average of 371 putting me at 351 FTP... which is right at 4.0, bottom end of A class

Next 3 stages race not so good

I got down graded from A class because 20 min average in last 3 races was under 4.0 w'kg so now B... so sad but can still race A for regained glory lol

As sad as it is I was worn out from too much skiing pow and ended up missing my Stage 5 race... gotta check the make up dates. ButtahFlake you figured out ZwiftPOwer.com yet? I guess you did because you got bumped up or do they notify you elsewhere?

I have to say it was noticeable lack of power after skiing all week

IN other news as of last night Im at 99% done in achieving Tron Bike!! Only need 1600' vert and she is mine. Might get it tonight...
    Yep, I went all in! ZwiftPower and updating my bikes and whatnot. Working towards the tron bike, I have a long way to go. My last race in C was DPG’d. I averaged 3.6 watts per kilo. Not bad for a skinny ass, old guy. Crazy how much harder I’ve been riding indoors than I would by myself, outdoors. I’m expecting to get smoked in B’s, but I’m for sure getting fit doing this.
    crab in my shoe mouth

Quote Originally Posted by buttahflake View Post
    Yep, I went all in! ZwiftPower and updating my bikes and whatnot. Working towards the tron bike, I have a long way to go. My last race in C was DPG’d. I averaged 3.6 watts per kilo. Not bad for a skinny ass, old guy. Crazy how much harder I’ve been riding indoors than I would by myself, outdoors. I’m expecting to get smoked in B’s, but I’m for sure getting fit doing this.
    Any recommendations for first "C" race to join?

Look at the companion app and find a time that works for you. There’s racing all day everyday, but there is also group rides for all the different levels. The group rides are cool because the group leader will put the ‘fence’ up and won’t let it turn off into a race. If you go past the fence, you have one minute to get back behind it or you get booted from the ride. So the leader keeps it a manageable pace. If you do jump into a race, get a good froth going before the start. These things typically start fast as fuck, and a group will go off the front, and then it will mellow out a bit. If you don’t suffer to get into the first group, you won’t see the front of the race again. You should get a log on for Zwift Power and that way you can really geek out on stats and it will let you know when you have moved into another class. It’s addicting
    crab in my shoe mouth

Look at the companion app and find a time that works for you. There’s racing all day everyday, but there is also group rides for all the different levels. The group rides are cool because the group leader will put the ‘fence’ up and won’t let it turn off into a race. If you go past the fence, you have one minute to get back behind it or you get booted from the ride. So the leader keeps it a manageable pace. If you do jump into a race, get a good froth going before the start. These things typically start fast as fuck, and a group will go off the front, and then it will mellow out a bit. If you don’t suffer to get into the first group, you won’t see the front of the race again. You should get a log on for Zwift Power and that way you can really geek out on stats and it will let you know when you have moved into another class. It’s addicting
    Sorry man. I should have been more specific. I've done dozens of group rides. Love em. I have a Zwiftpower account. I'm a washed up Cat 3 on the road. Was just hoping for a rec on a "C" race that wasn't going to rip my nuts off first time out.

I’ve found that they all start fast Try to make that front group and sit in. Only go to the front in the last 300 meters!
    crab in my shoe mouth

I’ve found that they all start fast Try to make that front group and sit in. Only go to the front in the last 300 meters!
    gracias

Alright ... that sucked. I took your advice and just simply couldn't hold the front group for long. Although I think I got messed up because the race was a mix of A, B and C and I wasn't paying attention to who was in what group. I got my ass kicked, but will be back for more soon.

Funny thing is when I actually went and signed up for a B Race for the first time I thought I would place higher then in the A's. But I think the B field is full of A riders who all think they can win it. I got smoked! Guys were hold 5-6 watts up these hills way longer then I could...

The TDZ has been weird this year I think because the fields are so small and race so short. last year the equivalent Group Ride was the race course. Hour to 1.5 efforts whereas these races this year are all 22-30 min gut busters.

So in an A race last year it was fun, I could pull off any where from 50-20th out of 800 or 1000 riders. Race this year there is like 15 people and I'm middle of field. Less exciting, I like the huge pelotons. maybe go check out a TDZ Group ride.

Starting riding this morning with a Rouvy calibration. That seemed to work great, but Zwift was still funky. In fact, noticed that downhills seemed harder than uphills. Figured maybe it was stuck in erg mode, so unpaired and repaired and that seemed to fix it.

Seth

Starting riding this morning with a Rouvy calibration. That seemed to work great, but Zwift was still funky. In fact, noticed that downhills seemed harder than uphills. Figured maybe it was stuck in erg mode, so unpaired and repaired and that seemed to fix it.

Seth

Great. Let the suffering begin!

I think I asked this before, but are there rides for people recovering from the same surgeries, or just rides for broken people? I obviously won’t be able to hang on the regular rides yet, not sure if I should wait to join when I have more power.
    Thoughts?

Edit: I found this, but it doesn’t answer my question about group rides.

https://zwift.com/news/10028-ask-gcn...g-using-zwift/
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    I think I asked this before, but are there rides for people recovering from the same surgeries, or just rides for broken people? I obviously won’t be able to hang on the regular rides yet, not sure if I should wait to join when I have more power.
    Thoughts?

Edit: I found this, but it doesn’t answer my question about group rides.

https://zwift.com/news/10028-ask-gcn...g-using-zwift/
    Group E rides are super mellow. If you chose a flat course, you can probably get by with 100 watts in the draft. Barring that, I would just explore at your own pace where power, cadence, HR are all tracked and recorded so yo can see how you're progressing.