Page 81 of 107 FirstFirst ... 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 ... LastLast
Results 2,001 to 2,025 of 2656
    Group rides are done until fall at this point. Was a good group and workout though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

New ‘World’ drops tomorrow. Just did the update. Japan!
    crab in my shoe mouth

Looks small but appealing

(that’s what she said)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMKFxgVHWcg

Looks pretty cool in the video, could have done without the Japanese accent in the narration. We believe you, it looks like our image of Japan, don't need a stereotypical voice actor to complete the picture.

I like the new world. Great graphics, good mix of road surfaces, so even though it is fairly flat, it rides harder then expected. The 1 climb is just right in length to get a good workout if pushing hard, or taking it easier.

The roads are narrow,so it seems crowded and busy. That will hopefully lighten up after the novelty wears off.

Don't forget to choose a different route each time you log in - I show approx 4k in points available via the new route badges and the associated mileage.

Quote Originally Posted by dan_pdx View Post
    Not me man, you can take my Zwift power readouts and canned workouts from my cold dead hands.

IDK, after almost 20 years in this neighborhood, I've ridden all the hills ad nauseum, and group rides are still on pause around here. So yeah, I could ride solo intervals on the same hills where I've been doing that for years, but hell, Zwift actually offers more novelty and (in theory) their workouts offer more ROI than whatever workouts I make up while riding outside.
    This is exactly how I feel. I get being a purist at heart as I love riding outdoors, but Japanese drivers in Hokkaido are fucking the worst in the country, and I am sick of almost being hit by people looking down at their phone. Considering I ride 99% of the time solo, this suits my needs and gives me the exact training platform that I am after. I get more bang for my buck on my Neo than I do on the roads, and I can watch my kids while my missus is gone. Maybe when my kids are older I can leave them alone but not for a few more years I feel.
    パウダーバカ!!

So my basement sucks for Zwifting in the summer - my hot water heater is right next to my trainer setup, which makes it like Bikram yoga on a bike. Anyone know of a decent portable AC device that doesn’t need a window and doesn’t cost a ton of $$?

Quote Originally Posted by scharny View Post
    So my basement sucks for Zwifting in the summer - my hot water heater is right next to my trainer setup, which makes it like Bikram yoga on a bike. Anyone know of a decent portable AC device that doesn’t need a window and doesn’t cost a ton of $$?
    Gotta have a window to dump heat out of. Maybe an insulated blanket for your hot water heater would help: https://www.lowes.com/pd/Frost-King-...on-kit/3133235

Otherwise, big fan is about the best you can do.

But I'm actually off Zwift for the summer and riding outside instead. Group rides are back, and I've been having a pretty good time. Are outside rides not an option for you?

I’ll second the idea of big fans.
    The heat is not normally the issue, it’s not having a breeze to evaporate the sweat off of your body.
    Before I used fans on my Zwift set up my heart rate was 5-7% higher, as it was working harder trying to cool me down.
    I didn’t believe this was solely due to the fans, and was probably accounting for me getting in better shape, so I did some workouts a few months later with the fans turned off, and my heart rate was significantly higher than previous similar efforts with the fans running.

My Zwift account is on hold until Dec.
    Check this space in December for weekly TGR Tuesdays and TGR Thursday Group Rides.

Lately the smoke has been bad so I'm back on the trainer. It's also nearly 100F outside, and the bad air means I can't run the evaporative cooler (brings in outside air).

So it's been 80+F inside. The best thing I've come up with is a big blower pointed directly at my chest and a garden mister that I can periodically spray onto myself. HR is still high (I hit 180 for the first time in years a couple of days ago) but it's tolerable, at least. 3h yesterday, fueled by bad movies.Name:  16273171893100.jpeg
Views: 203
Size:  61.5 KB
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

I got my heart rate up to 183 on an outdoor ride a few weeks ago. Came home, saw the max HR on my computer and googled "Is it safe for old farts to get their heart rate to 180 bpm?" As best as I can tell from Dr. Google, it's fine unless it's not.

And Dee, looking forward to winter TGR rides again.

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Hubbs View Post

My Zwift account is on hold until Dec.
    On hold? I just assumed that my only option was to "cancel" for the summer which would mean losing all account settings (including level).

Quote Originally Posted by huckbucket View Post
    On hold? I just assumed that my only option was to "cancel" for the summer which would mean losing all account settings (including level).
    Yes, tell me more about this hold...

But I still use it a few days a month so probably not a big deal to keep it.

Gotta have a window to dump heat out of. Maybe an insulated blanket for your hot water heater would help: https://www.lowes.com/pd/Frost-King-...on-kit/3133235

Otherwise, big fan is about the best you can do.

But I'm actually off Zwift for the summer and riding outside instead. Group rides are back, and I've been having a pretty good time. Are outside rides not an option for you?
    Thanks, I’ll look into the blanket. Outdoor rides are definitely my preference, but we have been getting a metric $h!t-ton of rain and there are rainy mornings when I want to get a structured workout. Dee Hubbs - that’s really good info about heartrate being higher to evaporate sweat - this is what happens to me a lot.

Outdoor rides are definitely my preference, but we have been getting a metric $h!t-ton of rain and there are rainy mornings when I want to get a structured workout.
    Damn, the idea of rain in July didn't even cross my mind. Would be nice if you could send some rain our way, we could use it.

You can cancel it, everything is there when you come back. There's a "delete account" option that will get rid of everything.

I signed up again a few weeks ago because I crashed and banged up my hand and wanted to still pedal without just staring at a wall. And also it's not looking to be a good fire/smoke year.

Super easy. Wish I had explored this back in April and saved a little coin. Although glad to support this platform considering how much I like using it when the snow flies.

Name:  Screen Shot 2021-07-26 at 1.37.54 PM.png
Views: 289
Size:  59.7 KB

Name:  Screen Shot 2021-07-26 at 1.38.20 PM.png
Views: 199
Size:  51.0 KB

Yeah, thanks for the reminder, I just canceled my account and will fire it back up in November or December. If they offered the option to pause for up to 12 weeks, I probably would have just done that.

Jamal - nice result at the Butte 100. Did I read results correctly that a 16yr old kid won by a lot. Given the names on the roster, that doesn't make sense.

Thanks, and yes. Nice kid, and real fast. He hopped in one of our local xc races and did pretty well, went to xc nats, and I also rode with him at that helena gravel race.

Early on in the race Tinker and Tostado and Max went off course, but being from Butte Max realized it pretty quickly and was like "hey guys this isn't right." He turned around and got back on course, they didn't. So he came back by me pretty early on, Tostado came through the 50mi aid station while I was there and got up to 5th after actually doing like 113mi, and Tinker dropped out.

Course is pretty well marked. Arrows at every junction, tape every 100yd or so. If you don't see flagging after a few min, you should prob turn around.

I went out a little too hard and struggled to eat early on, but slowed down and took my time at a couple aid stations to get back on top of it. Was going backward from mi like 45-65 then felt pretty good through the hardest parts at the end and made up some places. Improved by about 2 hours over the last time although I think I could have gone a fair amount quicker if I hadn't been an idiot at the start. But, main goal was be under 11 hrs and I did that and stayed upright and the bike was good all day so I can't complain.
    Last edited by jamal; 07-26-2021 at 01:55 PM.

That kid is a crusher. He took 2nd (and barely missed 1st) in a 100-mile gravel race I was in earlier this year. 3rd place was also a 17 year old from MT. Pretty awesome to see.

I got my heart rate up to 183 on an outdoor ride a few weeks ago. Came home, saw the max HR on my computer and googled "Is it safe for old farts to get their heart rate to 180 bpm?" As best as I can tell from Dr. Google, it's fine unless it's not.

And Dee, looking forward to winter TGR rides again.
    HR Max is very personal. Nothing inherently wrong with being at X BPM assuming it's safe for you to be at Y% of max.

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Hubbs View Post
    I’ll second the idea of big fans.
    The heat is not normally the issue, it’s not having a breeze to evaporate the sweat off of your body.
    Evaporative cooling has an incredible ability to move heat and is the body's main source of heat loss.

Best are the Industrial Blowers, but these can be loud.

I run 2 Vornado's: 1 about knee level aimed at my lower abdomen / legs and one at shoulder level aimed at chest, shoulders, upper back.

The self-fanning aspect is one of the reasons I love my Airdyne.

Might sound stupid, but I had a friend who would freeze a bunch of old plastic bottles with water in them, then throw them in front of the fan.

Well shit......sorta like this I guess: https://www.wikihow.com/Make-an-Easy...-Water-Bottles