Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Results 76 to 100 of 117
  1. #76
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    GRRD
    Posts
    1,624
    Awesome 9 Stage Event starting soon!

    https://www.zwift.com/tour-de-zwift

    Course preview

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G23vK4bPIKM

  2. #77
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    GRRD
    Posts
    1,624
    Holy Smokes! Stage 1 done:

    58 min with avg. 309 watts got me 82nd out of 460 in the A race. These fuckers are fast!

    Super fun to rock the draft in the peloton and then push the pace and then drift back... Insane workout .

  3. #78
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Central VT
    Posts
    4,073
    Finally got my smart/dumb trainer dialed and calibrated so I'm full on Zwifting. I actually was getting into closing gaps and sprinting with the pack on my last go. Even as a mountain biker - it gets more interesting each ride.

    Do you just jump into those Stages at any time or does it have to be a certain day/time?

  4. #79
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    GRRD
    Posts
    1,624
    https://www.zwift.com/events/

    This shows all the dates and times of all events. There are multiple options for each stage and there are 2 make up days after stage 9 .

    They kind of changed format once event started. If you sign in close to start time you just look in that upcoming event list on the right you should be able to jump in easy .

    Though you might have to go to that previous link I posted and hit Register button.
    Last edited by carpathian; 01-03-2019 at 03:39 PM.

  5. #80
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    GRRD
    Posts
    1,624
    I took Stage 2 a bit more serious with a pre-ride drink of coffee instead of beer coupled with a nice 20 minute warm up and some energy gels. I was feeling pretty good. Tunes set up, spandex on... GO!

    The first 10 minutes is always madness as people bolt out quick and try to stay on the wheels of who ever they can.
    I found my self in the 40-50th chunk (out of 550). Time to hang on to the pain train...

    30 minutes and a couple liters of sweat later I had managed to push into the 35-45th range. The miles counted down and I found I still had some gas in the tank. Made a couple pushes and bridged out into a smaller group of 5. It was now a race for 35th.

    We pushed and surged knowing the finish was coming up quick *(sounds so gay)
    Final sprint ... 8.5 w/kg... 37th! ( 4min out of 1st)

    I love dorking out and looking at the post ride numbers. Held 60 min of 330 watts avg. with a 20 min section of 347. So as far as a doubled up FTP test, that was dead accurate and awesome to see my numbers jump up. (from 308 to 330 over 6 weeks.)

    I'm signed up for next stage tuesday night, can't believe everyone isn't hooked on this shit lol

  6. #81
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    GRRD
    Posts
    1,624
    I know you guys must be dying for a TDZ update?! That is Tour de Zwift not Trump Derangement Syndrome!

    I pulled into Stage 3 firing on all cylinders. Stick with the front leaders... pace and conserve energy when possible. Blast it on the hills... About 5 minutes in at the top of a hill me and a hand full of other riders suddenly veered off the race course and started following the god damned regular London Loop!!

    It was a glitch, so many people in the system. Zwift broke a record that week with something like 10,000 riders in world at once.

    I tried the turn around function to rejoin group. I was losing precious seconds. The lead group was quickly escaping my reach.

    Oh well, might as well ride this loop for the workout... Super lame but it is alright there is chance at end of stages to redo missed events.

    Stage 4: So tired and burned out from 55 hour construction work week in -5 temps. My race was 9pm friday nght. I told myself just get through it for the stage completion but of course after 15 min warmup I convinced myself I could hang.

    I stuck with lead pack for less then 10 min. Fell off the back fair enough fell into large following. I can do this!

    Holding 300-340 here and there. Around 35 minutes I found myself tailing at end of pack. I struggled to stay in draft. My numbers had plummeted, 280,, 270,, 250.... I'm tired.

    The group was gone. I was in no mans land for a while then the late follow big pack caught up and blew around me. It was now hard to hold 230 and soon was cruising at 200 with 5-6 miles to go.

    I stuck with it unhappily. Am I doing damage to myself?

    The last 5 min climb to finish atop the volcano I felt surge of power and chugged some higher numbers to respectable finish of 70th/700. Collapse to floor...

    Stage 5 was 2 nights ago. 3x 10 mile laps with 500 ft climb at last mile of each lap. I stuck with lead pack up until that first climb. MOther fuckers blast away at 6-7 w/kg and I m dropped to small follow pack of 3. We nudge back and forth for 12th place. All of second lap.

    3 miles into last lap pack of 15 riders catch up now we are flying. It is amazing the way the Zwift physics engine calculates for weight and speed so close to IRL. Im heavier at 88kg and on the flats i can hang with group at x watts whatever. But as soon as the climb starts I am at disadvantage...

    The final crushing watts sprint for last 5 min is brutal. Held 400 right to finish, so dead. 22nd out of 175.

    I keep riding right around top 10% not bad I guess..

    Tomorrow is the 3700 ft climb up Alp Du Zwift. I might die. Gonna push for new FTP... Im only level 9 and you need to be 12 to ride course outside of race so I am going in blind to course...

  7. #82
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Central OR
    Posts
    5,014

    Zwift, TR, Sufferfest etc

    Quote Originally Posted by carpathian View Post
    It is amazing the way the Zwift physics engine calculates for weight and speed so close to IRL.
    Update your profile to say you weigh 75 pounds. Winning!

  8. #83
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    GRRD
    Posts
    1,624
    yeah, 'cutting weight' in your profile is surest way to up your w/kg ratio and increase speed. But like the grammar nazis here, there are stop guards to catch cheats. If you run over 5w/kg for over 5 min the bike dork police with get after you. Or if you ride without heart monitor people are suspect.

    then again what is the point? trying to simulate reality. After 6 weeks I dropped from 200 to 195 (2 kg) and saw noticeable increase in speed. If I could get down to 185 IRL,... yowza! This week i actually started the first diet of my life. No ice cream, latte, beer or donuts or energy drinks. MAGA!

    Tonights race went alright. 49th/967 (.05%), 6th American, 3.6w/kg over 1:15 and 3750ft (4000 including leadin) of climbing over 17 miles. Painfull... getting stronger... I <3 Zwift

  9. #84
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    GRRD
    Posts
    1,624
    Stage 7: 20th/ 700. New FTP at 340

    Stage 8: 40/1000 held 336 watt avg for 1:30

    Stage 9: 20/250... Thought I could get high place with lower number but got dropped on the short punchy climbs of NY Central Park but still held 340 for 1:30. Fast mofos

  10. #85
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    603
    I've been messing with zwift the past 3-4 weeks and do like it, but my biggest concern with Zwift is replacing what is normally a good time for rest and recovery of all things bike... and doing other stuff like easy runs with the dog, weights, climbing gym, swimming, etc with hammering the pedals every day might not be good for long term fitness, as much as it will feel good coming into the spring in shape.

    Everyone is different but I can see some serious overtraining happening for a lot of people bored in the winter and riding the shit out of their bikes on zwift. Has me wondering if too much zwifting would turn that great feeling of getting back into peak shape in August and September into sore knees and back and injury.

    Everything in moderation.....

  11. #86
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    GRRD
    Posts
    1,624
    It is funny you say that. I just watched this video yesterday talking about Zwift training plans being bad by design and how ppl burn out by June because too much riding...

    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xmVZshpLaqs&t=329s

    And this one

    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YarGXB-GUfE

    That hectic January race schedule wore me out...

  12. #87
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    snow country, Japan
    Posts
    857
    Quote Originally Posted by ridinshockgun View Post
    I've been messing with zwift the past 3-4 weeks and do like it, but my biggest concern with Zwift is replacing what is normally a good time for rest and recovery of all things bike... and doing other stuff like easy runs with the dog, weights, climbing gym, swimming, etc with hammering the pedals every day might not be good for long term fitness, as much as it will feel good coming into the spring in shape.

    Everyone is different but I can see some serious overtraining happening for a lot of people bored in the winter and riding the shit out of their bikes on zwift. Has me wondering if too much zwifting would turn that great feeling of getting back into peak shape in August and September into sore knees and back and injury.

    Everything in moderation.....
    I've not ridden yet this year due to a few factors but will be getting back on Zwift in the next week, and so I couldn't take part in the TDZ, which I was really looking forward to in January. Looked like a great event!

    Last year I also used TR and learned a variety of recovery rides and so programmed those same style rides on Zwift. Many of my rides are in ERG because I like having a set wattage to ride at as I know what my HR will be and can thus plan accordingly for my weekly TSS. I typically will do two easy rides for every interval workout I do to try and have ample recovery time. I think too many people take no pain, no gain way too seriously and don't understand how to train properly - and don't understand that rest/recovery is more important than interval training.
    パウダーバカ!!

  13. #88
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    snow country, Japan
    Posts
    857
    Quote Originally Posted by carpathian View Post
    3 Coors Lite + fat joint + my first FTP test = 308

    I'm just trying to set my self up for personal growth.
    A J before and some headphones is awesome, but Coors Lite? Damn.

    Enjoyed your writeup of the KOM. Great ride up, but nothing like ADZ. Have you had the chance to spin up that one yet?
    パウダーバカ!!

  14. #89
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    GRRD
    Posts
    1,624
    Quote Originally Posted by satori View Post
    A J before and some headphones is awesome, but Coors Lite? Damn.

    Enjoyed your writeup of the KOM. Great ride up, but nothing like ADZ. Have you had the chance to spin up that one yet?
    Yeah that ADZ is long enough. It's like "oh god I'm only at switchback 14..."

    Last night I made 1st attempt at completing 'Four Horseman' route. For those that don't know, it's 55 miles with 13,000ft climbing.

    I kept watts under control around 1.9-2.2 w/kg. (185 watts)

    Problem was I started at 8:30pm. 3 hours, 5000' and 30 miles later I was around turn 10-12 on ADZ and I was almost falling asleep in the saddle. Called it a night with a good attempt. Previous long ride on Zwift was 1:45 .

    I love having the carrot on the stick to plan my next attempt. Feels like trying to climb real mountain.

  15. #90
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    5,032
    Quote Originally Posted by carpathian View Post
    Yeah that ADZ is long enough. It's like "oh god I'm only at switchback 14..."

    Last night I made 1st attempt at completing 'Four Horseman' route. For those that don't know, it's 55 miles with 13,000ft climbing.

    I kept watts under control around 1.9-2.2 w/kg. (185 watts)

    Problem was I started at 8:30pm. 3 hours, 5000' and 30 miles later I was around turn 10-12 on ADZ and I was almost falling asleep in the saddle. Called it a night with a good attempt. Previous long ride on Zwift was 1:45 .

    I love having the carrot on the stick to plan my next attempt. Feels like trying to climb real mountain.
    I had a similar thing happen on one of those group rides (i actually misread the ride description - it was the three original hills in one direction and then everything backwards) only I started at close to 10pm my time so by 1:00 AM I just shut down. Group rides are nice and all but no pace set and was waiting an extra 25-30 minutes for the stragglers to get up the first KOM climb.

    Anything beyond 2 hours on the trainer starts pushing you into black dog territory.

  16. #91
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    GRRD
    Posts
    1,624
    Definitely dealing with a certain amount of 'overtraining' in the last month. Get on the bike and can barely hold 200 watts. 300 seemed impossible. Would push up a little bit here and there and the body is like "no thanks." Conscientiously cruising at 2w/kg and not allowing myself to 'get all crazy' chasing who ever. Felt good, allowed a for some adaptation.

    Got on bike the other day around mid day for a planned 1.5 hr cruise where ever. Headed towards the Jungle. Feeling good. Rolling with random guy for 10 min lead in at like 2.1. I hadn't topped out on ADZ in a while so figured at least go bag the summit would be good.

    Right as the map switches ADZ switchback count guy jumps to 3.5 and I'm like "Shit see ya later" . I bumped her up to 3.0 and suprisingly felt alright. Legs felt strong. UP to turn 21 I eased up to 3.2 then 3.5. Felt easy enough.

    I caught and paced with guy until next turn. He slowed to 3.2 I felt good still and bumped to 3.8 then a bit of 4.
    "man I feel great!" Next thought was 'damn this is gonna hurt'

    My none-race PR was 56min. My Tour Du Zwift stage 6 time was 52:30 but that was after a hellacious 20 min lead end. I was in it now, hunt for new PR!

    10 minutes later having second guess on my previous ambitions. "Do this for another 45 minutes?! Thats too much!"

    5 minutes later, "Do this for another 40 minutes?! Thats too much!"

    And so on.... Suddenly I was at turn 10. Not so bad. Problem was I knew that I was on track for new PR and If I gave up 3/4 up I would have to recreate the ambition later just to get back to where I was. A self imposed hellish trap I say!

    My tactic was to take each turn and stand up and push 400-450 for a maybe a minute then sit back in saddle but not drop below 320-330. Never below 300... Good to change muscle groups on the fly I reckon.

    By turn 5-6 I think I could fall off bike. "So dumb! this is not fun!" So close though. I make it to last switch and little ETA number pops up... OMG it says 50:10... at THIS pace. Horrible... gotta break 50 I think. Tunnel vision...

    I stand up for last pitch holding 450 and ETA drops to 49:50. I hold it for maybe 20 seconds then realize my heart might actually explode. Drop to the saddle struggle to hold 375... ETA slowly dropping, dropping. Im dying dying
    Cross the finish at 50:09. Collapse to heap on floor.

    The good news is I got PR in a video game. The bad news is I didn't break an arbitrary time of 50. The funny part is I looked over on Zwift POwer and my time put me in 500th overall time. So ridiculous dudes getting 35 min...
    /blog

  17. #92
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    GRRD
    Posts
    1,624
    Just got to Kona for 5 week training block in the heat. One thing Zwift is good for as it turns out , is heat adaptation. I had to ride 3 hours from airport to get our car down south and I surprisingly didn't die from heat stroke. Felt pretty good. Sun exposure is a whole other thing for this white white haole.

    On the other hand Zwift is bad bad for bike handle skills. Here I am bombing on the ocean side of the highway with like 6" clearance between cars on my left and 50' drop off side of road . Felt sketchy

  18. #93
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Posts
    12,380
    Sorry didn't read through this whole thread. So why Zwift over TR? I just renewed my TR subscription to prep for MTB racing season. I have the latest version of the software on a powerful (although not fully updated macbook pro running OSX 10.10.5). TR software is sooooo slooow. When the actual training programs are up it runs fine, but all other parts of the interface are dead slow even when I have nothing else running.

    Other than that I do think the programs are good for training. Although boring.

  19. #94
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    452
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    Sorry didn't read through this whole thread. So why Zwift over TR?
    For me, I already have my own training plans and don't need what TR offers (same for training plans in Zwift). I like the engagement that Zwift offers me. Very similar to outside training, I know what the plan for the day needs in terrain and I ride to that location in Zwift and start my work. I enjoy the virtual riding and the challenge of finding the terrain that is needed to match the day's plan (if that makes sense).

  20. #95
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    GRRD
    Posts
    1,624
    Took 6 week break from Zwift for some outside riding which was quite pleasant . Got back online to check out the new desert route through fictional american southwest. Nice cruisey terrain.

    Regained old route up to Epic KOM. Got that horrible nervous feeling of 'oh no I want to crush this' with about 20 seconds before start line ... Went all out! It is funny cross traing back from real world to Internet riding. Feels pretty good , no cars to dodge on narrow shoulders.

    Watching the watts kick between 360 and 420.

    15 min start feeling the desperate gassed fear that we know and love .i can't do this!!. Stay strong!

    Thank god for those perfect little downhill rests they tuck in there . Those guys thought this shit out.

    Pushing hard , 500 watts last minute... New PR at 22:45! Yayyy!

    Also managed new FTP of 348 (3.95 w/kg) up from 340. Based on 20 minutes within workout at 367.

    It feels good to almost not be shitty, lol . Just now on the high end of average on the FTP charts . Give me a break

  21. #96
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Posts
    1,380
    Well 3.95w/kg isnít average IMO. In my area youíre mixing it up at front of Cat 1 XC fields with that if your a good bike handler. If you have punchy power on top of that + great handling and youíre a player in mid-pack Elite/Open.



    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  22. #97
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    GRRD
    Posts
    1,624
    Quote Originally Posted by VTskibum View Post
    Well 3.95w/kg isnít average IMO. In my area youíre mixing it up at front of Cat 1 XC fields with that if your a good bike handler. If you have punchy power on top of that + great handling and youíre a player in mid-pack Elite/Open.



    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    https://zwiftinsider.com/rider-categ...w-do-you-rank/

  23. #98
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    snow country, Japan
    Posts
    857
    I've only ridden outdoors a few times again this year, and with temps finally starting to drop here in Sapporo I might not get outside again this year. I have a really good mate back home who is a serious rider at roughly 400km/week and he rides outside almost daily. I have to say I wish I had the time he does bc if I did I probably would ride outdoors more often, and attempt to meet up more with mates for rides. But I have almost no time between work and family, so I am up and riding around 5am. This is what I love about riding Zwift. In the one hour that I am riding I can maximize my time and training and get the best bang for my buck. One hour on the trainer, at least to me, is worth at least 1:30 outdoors. That's probably not too far off and riding in ERG with some of the workouts I've created, some that I liked from TR and programmed into Zwift, and those that are already in it give me such solid workouts and precise recovery rides that I almost can't imagine training outdoors much anymore - unless I'm riding with mates. I understand the purists and those who only want to ride outdoors, but the beauty of walking into my pain cave with a cup of coffee, getting some headphones on, turning the fans on, and clipping in is pretty awesome especially given the killer workout I get in 60 minutes.

    Has anyone tried any of the other platforms out there other than the three big ones? How are they? Anything promising?
    パウダーバカ!!

  24. #99
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    5,281
    I'm on week 3 of Zwift. Love it! First objective is to lose weight with some long, steady group rides (group C). Target is 20 lbs (from 180 to 160). That'll make me much much faster come spring.

  25. #100
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    603
    Quote Originally Posted by satori View Post
    I've only ridden outdoors a few times again this year, and with temps finally starting to drop here in Sapporo I might not get outside again this year. I have a really good mate back home who is a serious rider at roughly 400km/week and he rides outside almost daily. I have to say I wish I had the time he does bc if I did I probably would ride outdoors more often, and attempt to meet up more with mates for rides. But I have almost no time between work and family, so I am up and riding around 5am. This is what I love about riding Zwift. In the one hour that I am riding I can maximize my time and training and get the best bang for my buck. One hour on the trainer, at least to me, is worth at least 1:30 outdoors. That's probably not too far off and riding in ERG with some of the workouts I've created, some that I liked from TR and programmed into Zwift, and those that are already in it give me such solid workouts and precise recovery rides that I almost can't imagine training outdoors much anymore - unless I'm riding with mates. I understand the purists and those who only want to ride outdoors, but the beauty of walking into my pain cave with a cup of coffee, getting some headphones on, turning the fans on, and clipping in is pretty awesome especially given the killer workout I get in 60 minutes.
    I totally get it, and I have Zwift and do use it and like it for many of the reasons you just mentioned but if time permits I really try to sack up and go outside and ride my bike as much as I can.

    Because there is nothing like the feeling of actually riding a bike, even just out on a local bike path or a cruise through the city. The fact that it is fun is part of what makes it so great of a "workout".

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •