Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Slide: The Avalanche Podcast

This is my new thing: https://soundcloud.com/user-660921194

It's about decision making in avalanche country. You can subscribe to it on iTunes or Android.

Kinda blows my cover, but whatever. I am a big fan of criticism and feedback, so bring it if you care...

So now you are overt instead of covert?

Anyway it's a cool product. Go check it out folks.

soon to revert

Cool, didn't know that was you- listened to the short little intro last week.

Subscribed, I enjoyed the first full episode a lot. Always good to be thinking about your thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by covert View Post
    soon to revert
    better than pervert

or convert

I'll check it out.
    Another good one is the Totally Deep Cripple Creek podcast.

I'll check it out when I'm doing something mindless at work. Thanks for the heads up.

Subscribed, and enjoyed the first episode.
    Drive slow, homie.

Good first episode! Keep it up!

Tuning in!

Quote Originally Posted by homemadesalsa View Post
    better than pervert

or convert
    Or convict.

Nice job.

Thanks y'all. Episode 2 is up: https://soundcloud.com/user-66092119...funk-less-bunk

I'm not gonna update this thread every week, but will check back periodically to see if anyone has feed back. Or you can email me at avalanchepodcast@gmail.com

Just listened to #1 on the drive home for the holiday. Good stuff! I'd kill the background music- both my wife and I found it incredibly distracting. I'd also suggest a slightly shorter target time- as you point out it's easy to let the mind wander while listening to a podcast, and a shorter episode would help with that IMO. Just my $.02, keep up the good work!

gracias, background music is gone from the main content block of episode 2 and it's 10 minutes shorter

Agreed on removing the background music, but otherwise I found it interesting. Please do talk about your thoughts on airbag packs.

Thanks for posting this up, listened to the first episode today.

I'm a big, big fan of walkie talkies, good to mention this! . Pretty crucial for staying in contact with your buddy in trees, at the bottom of a run when hand signals aren't working, and for setting up photos

Listened to the first two episodes. Really digging it -- hope it keeps coming out for regular listening on the way to-from bc objectives.

Random thoughts:

- I too appreciate the toned-down music in the second one.
    - Your humor is on point
    - Sometimes (and this is probably due to material focus on "communication" in first few episodes) it would be nice to have you bring the convo back around to scenarios you're likely to experience. Abstraction is good, but it can bore people quick.
    - It'd be cool to hear:
    some segments on just general BC safety stuff -- not just slides. Tree wells, first aid s. You seem knowledgeable enough.
    interviews with professionals and amateurs

Thanks for the work. Any other bc-focused podcasts you'd recommend?

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    Random thoughts:

- I too appreciate the toned-down music in the second one.
    - Your humor is on point
    - Sometimes (and this is probably due to material focus on "communication" in first few episodes) it would be nice to have you bring the convo back around to scenarios you're likely to experience. Abstraction is good, but it can bore people quick.
    Quoting cause I agree with all these points. I really enjoy your style. Look forward to listening to more
    Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    Keystone is the new Snowbird

Another listener than enjoyed your first two episodes! Can we look forward to these each week?

You may look forward to them every waking hour. Gracias for all the feedback. Copy all. New episode is up. It's kinda long.

Glad you took the note on dropping most of the music out of ep 2. Made the drive up I70 go quick last night.

Awesome! If you've ever met Covert, he's like that in real life. Humble, sarcastic and just the right dude to deliver this message.

Good luck in whatever you've got going on in Japan.

subscribed and listened- quality
    thanks!
    skid luxury

Listened to Ep 3 yesterday afternoon. I enjoyed story time, and I'd like more of the same. I think one of the big benefits of the podcast is that it has people thinking about making decisions in avalanche terrain even when they're walking the dog or whatever. I think case studies are really helpful, since I would guess that a lot of your average listeners have at least a basic understanding of the conditions needed for an avalanche. But listening to someone else work through the various pieces of data -- weather, snowpack, terrain, group dynamics -- is helpful because then I can put myself in their shoes and look at whether I'd make the same decisions and why/why not. And if you're with a group that communicates well, you do that in your end-of-day assessment, but a lot of people don't do that as often as they should. So I think a reoccurring case study section would be nice. Personal stories are good, but you could even work through post-avalanche reports that have enough detail regarding conditions, terrain choices etc. to allow for retelling and analysis.

One other note: I'd advocate losing the long outro music; if I'm listening to podcasts from a playlist it gets a little annoying to wait for the music to end for the next podcast to start.

Keep up the good work!