Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 111
  1. #26
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    4,479
    I enjoyed the airbag discussion among other things. Also agree with the above posted regarding long intro or outro music. I listen to a lot of podcasts while driving and when one is over I want to get on to the next one promptly.

  2. #27
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Closed Area
    Posts
    1,120
    Clearly we have a dearth of Barcelona fans. Thanks for the feedback.

  3. #28
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    cb, co
    Posts
    3,196
    I'd just like to say that IMO, every episode has gotten better, so keep it up. I'm also a fan of accident analysis/ storytime to back up your points from time to time.

  4. #29
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Beer:30
    Posts
    5,212
    Finally got around to listening to the first one, bumping this thread because I really enjoyed it. Nice work. Actually installing a podcast app just because of this.

    On that note, I couldn't find the podcast on Google Play Music (which is a shitty app but at least I already had it installed). I think you can publish it here but I'm no expert:
    https://play.google.com/music/podcasts/portal/

  5. #30
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    In the swamp
    Posts
    4,703
    I personally like the reggae background. Good job on the first 3.

  6. #31
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    It's Full of Stars....
    Posts
    1,606
    I'll second what everyone said...... Great job! The part about Crew Resource Mgt. in Ep. 1 really hit home for me, as it's an integral part of our training in the Fire Service.... If you look at any firefighter Line of Duty Death, they are almost always a direct result of a series of small, cascading errors that lead to a tragic outcome. NIOSH's recommendations post-investigation always include improved communication on the fireground as well..... Thanks again, keep it up!
    What we have here is an intelligence failure. You may be familiar with staring directly at that when shaving. .
    -Ottime

  7. #32
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    cb, co
    Posts
    3,196
    Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    Finally got around to listening to the first one, bumping this thread because I really enjoyed it. Nice work. Actually installing a podcast app just because of this.

    On that note, I couldn't find the podcast on Google Play Music (which is a shitty app but at least I already had it installed). I think you can publish it here but I'm no expert:
    https://play.google.com/music/podcasts/portal/
    Most podcast apps allow listeners to add an RSS feed on it somewhere... Otherwise, I've been using Podcast Republic and it's awesome.

  8. #33
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    AK
    Posts
    889
    Nice and stoked to see that beyondpod app could find it. Thanks

  9. #34
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    33
    These are great! Thanks

  10. #35
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    169
    Yea man! Way to go! Now everyone go and leave a five star review!

  11. #36
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Closed Area
    Posts
    1,120
    Feed is pending on Google Play. Current episode is quite a bit shorter. Maybe gonna do an education one next week...

  12. #37
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    west tetons
    Posts
    1,153
    Jeebus you're going too fast. I am off the back in #2.

    Good work!

  13. #38
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Boulder
    Posts
    744
    Finally got around to listening. Great stuff, and as others have said, getting better with each episode. I'm forwarding to all of my backcountry partners.

  14. #39
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    212
    I'm halfway through Ep 4. I agree with dropping State of the Pack; seems like there's just too much information out there for the segment to be of any help. As an occasional alternative, I think a deep dive into one area's snowpack/avalanche hazards would be helpful, both for "standard" problems in a zone and unusual problems in a zone. For example, Colorado has its "standard" deep persistent slab problem, overlaid with wind slabs. Might be worth talking about why this is a standard set of avalanche problems for Colorado's midwinter snowpack. Or, I think it was last year when Colorado had a particularly dry February, and the San Juans had an unusually safe snowpack because it was facets from the top of the pack to the ground. A dive into an snowpack that is unusual for the zone/season would be interesting to hear, since it would give info on how unusual weather/snow patterns affect the problems.

  15. #40
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Salida, CO
    Posts
    863
    Sublime...I too think a discussion of the physics of snow pack, perhaps in small segments would fun

  16. #41
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    4,479
    Quote Originally Posted by Cravenmorhead View Post
    I'm halfway through Ep 4. I agree with dropping State of the Pack; seems like there's just too much information out there for the segment to be of any help. As an occasional alternative, I think a deep dive into one area's snowpack/avalanche hazards would be helpful, both for "standard" problems in a zone and unusual problems in a zone. For example, Colorado has its "standard" deep persistent slab problem, overlaid with wind slabs. Might be worth talking about why this is a standard set of avalanche problems for Colorado's midwinter snowpack. Or, I think it was last year when Colorado had a particularly dry February, and the San Juans had an unusually safe snowpack because it was facets from the top of the pack to the ground. A dive into an snowpack that is unusual for the zone/season would be interesting to hear, since it would give info on how unusual weather/snow patterns affect the problems.
    I was going to suggest something similar. Typical problems from different regions would be helpful as well as stories of atypical situations as suggested above. How do snowpack and terrain choice relate to one other? How do they typically change or differ in CO, vs AK vs Japan for example?

  17. #42
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Denver
    Posts
    238
    Quote Originally Posted by Dromond View Post
    I was going to suggest something similar. Typical problems from different regions would be helpful as well as stories of atypical situations as suggested above. How do snowpack and terrain choice relate to one other? How do they typically change or differ in CO, vs AK vs Japan for example?
    Second this idea

  18. #43
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Closed Area
    Posts
    1,120
    copy, gracias todos.

    i'm not sure geo-centrism a la what a particular pack is normally like solves the 'state of the pack' problem. both approaches may lack relevance for the broader audience, but i'll give 'er a go.

    i do believe there is great value in case studies, and contrasting the normal with the anomalous, and contrasting what is normal vs. anomalous in different zones. copy that.

    i'd like to do some accident case studies, but my snowy torrents are on the other side of the pacific and the new e-version seems to be on indefinite wind hold.

    please tell me if you think 'special story time' is getting dull. i just haven't done anything particularly stupid lately. will be dipping into the mental archives at some point.

    in the meantime, i encourage y'all to drink beer and crank ludwig: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mz8P8D8MdNU

    dk

  19. #44
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    212
    Re geo-centrism, if other listeners are like me, they're at least interested in traveling to other parts of the world to ski, even if we don't have set plans to do so right now. So having a baseline understanding of what a "normal" snowpack looks like in various major ranges is something I'm interested in, even though I've only skied in my home range. I'm only one data point though.

  20. #45
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    9,300ft
    Posts
    15,144
    Through episode 3. I think state of the pack is one of the most interesting and unique things in the entire podcast. Don't lose that nobody else does that.

    We think completely identical with respect to airbag packs.

    I also really like logical fallacies as applied to avalanche decision making.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

  21. #46
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    cb, co
    Posts
    3,196
    I like state of the pack, too. BUT, everything else on the podcast is evergreen content. I rarely listen to podcasts as soon as they come out. Oftentimes I'll discover a podcast and download episodes that are months or even years old. So I think as this thing continues to grow, the state of the pack section will be increasingly irrelevant for most listeners.

  22. #47
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Closed Area
    Posts
    1,120
    hrmm, my current thoughts on the 'state of the pack' is that i will go a little easier on what's happening and focus more on how people are dealing with it. i like the global update, but it's really hard to stay on top of and the date stamp on it is a problem.

  23. #48
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    9,300ft
    Posts
    15,144
    Maybe make state of the pack a separate offering whether text web page or podcast?
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

  24. #49
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Salida, CO
    Posts
    863
    Intuition is the ability to acquire knowledge without proof, evidence, or conscious reasoning, or without understanding how the knowledge was acquired. I work in medicine. In the clinical setting one cant see electrons,
    cell membranes, hormones, amino acids and so on. But I believe that studying and internalizing those processes and having internalized that knowledge somehow contributes to a better understanding of how to analyze what signs and symptoms may mean in the patient. I think an analogy can be drawn to the snowpack. It's a little voice in the back of your head saying "whats going on here and why?" Work a little physics into the state of the snowpack.
    What can it hurt? My avi educations started with the blue book. Nomenclature has changed, theories evolve, It would be great to hear a little bit about the history and evolution of avi science as well. Carry on!

  25. #50
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Beer:30
    Posts
    5,212
    Bump. Caught up to the present this week and eagerly await the next episode. If anyone on here is still not listening to this, you really should be.

    I like state of the pack but agree that it will become increasingly irrelevant as time goes one.

    I also like special story time. That segment has great potential to have guests on.

    Really appreciate you talking so much about topics that aren't really a part of traditional avalanche courses. It's great food for thought and directly applicable to our actual travels in the backcountry. As you noted in your other thread, we know most of the time what the mistakes are, the crux is modifying our behavior. All your talk on how we think and communicate and make decisions directly influences that.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •