That Unicorn Ski

I know, it is a lot of skis that vary in width and turn radius, but hear me out.

I am looking to move away from my current quiver of Peacemaker and Gunsmoke in 186 to something different. Those two skis were great for my time up in Northern VT, but college is sadly over and the harsh reality of being a weekend warrior and coaching (damn $$$ passes) is setting back in. That means my powder skiing will be relegated to trips out to Utah, Jackson Hole, and possibly Japan (if work takes me there, fingers crossed). Therefore, I am looking for a very specific ski that can hopefully excel in 2/3 places in bounds and in the BC. They will be mounted with Kingpins and Wardens, and driven by either a MTN Lab or ZeroG in a 130 flex.

I've skied a few skis over the past ~4 years and they include:

Line Magnum Opus 186-> Really fun in trees, but wasn't a fan of the small turn radius and playful nature in anything but fresh pow.
    ON3P Vicik 186(or 184?)-> Great charging ski, but wasn't suited too well to the EC trees or EC touring so I sold it
    Blizzard Peacemaker 186-> Great ski, was the perfect ski for EC tree skiing and groomer runs. Unfortunately, it didn't seem to enjoy charging down lines out west
    Blizzard Gunsmoke 186-> See above, just add more powder to the equation. Wasn't great for touring but I managed.

So, what I have discovered is that I like a ski that I imagine is like a unicorn. Something in a 185-189 length, moderate camber underfoot (not always necessary), moderate tip rocker with a stiff tip that can cut through crud, slight tail rocker but not too soft, and light enough that touring won't be too shitty and a turn radius of somewhere north of 25. It will probably get used more in your average west coast conditions than powder, but it would be great if it could work relatively well in Japan. My racing background at the FIS level saw me on 191s for GS despite my slight build (5'10, 155), so driving a ski and boot is my first instinct when I see open space which is why I am moving away from the Gunsmoke/Peacemaker combo. I know a 2-ski quiver is more optimal, but I can't always travel with 2 pairs.

So far my list includes:
    Praxis RX in a 184->No tail rocker though
    Praxis MVP in a 187->Only 110 underfoot, so tough for Japan
    Praxis GPO in a 187->Out of stock, but will look used potentially. Also, turn radius is on the lower side.
    Praxis Concept in a 187->Haven't heard much about this ski
    CountDown 115 in a 189->Blistergearreview said the tip was on the flimsier side, which to me is a concern. Perhaps someone can chime in. Radius does seem slightly small for a ski that large.
    ON3P BillyGoat in a 184/189-> Seems to be a big boy ski so a 189 may be too much. Weight seems to be the issue here, but it doesn't look too bad.
    Blizzard Bodacious in a 185->Definitely the widest option. If only they made it in a ZeroG format.
    Volkl V-Werks Katana in a 184->$$$ option, narrow edges worry me. Also on the narrow side.

Anyone care to add some input in on the selections or add some skis to the list?

You could get a 10mm wider MVP (custom option). Or Scott Scrapper 115?

Name:  2017-Sego-Up-Pro-skis-review-199x640.png
Views: 929
Size:  90.4 KB

V werks katana

That Unicorn Ski

Ski bags fit 2 skis for a reason. You'll figure it out.

4FRNT Kye?

Buy those 190 Fischer Watea 106s in gear swap, that's a screaming deal and I'm tempted. Or find some of the 182s. I think with your background you would love them. Same ski is the Ranger 106 if you can't find the Watea 106. These skis are great if you like camber, stiff tails and I think the shovel profile and early rise is about perfect.

Well, after finagling some finances around I can get two pairs of skis (bye bye plans for a camera). Thinking a Steeple 98/Wren 98 in the 184 for touring/hard snow primarily w/ a BG in a 184? Maybe a 189? Not sure.

4FRNT Raven or Hoji (I know you said you wanted some camber, but these are really fun & able to hold edge on firm snow, new ones are noticeably lighter than last years).
    "... when I turn, I just hope it hits me in the face."--Shroder Baker/Under the Influence

Quote Originally Posted by nyskirat View Post
    Well, after finagling some finances around I can get two pairs of skis (bye bye plans for a camera). Thinking a Steeple 98/Wren 98 in the 184 for touring/hard snow primarily w/ a BG in a 184? Maybe a 189? Not sure.
    If you're looking at skis in the 98 width class, for a touring and everyday ski do consider the Ranger 98 ti. Pretty universally rave reviews.

Have you looked at the movement super turbo? It is pretty close to what you are describing. I take those out if the snow is good and I feel like not turning. Otherwise I'm on jjs or bent chetlers.

That Unicorn Ski

Anyone care to add some input in on the selections or add some skis to the list?

If the BG is on the list it seems like the Moment Bibby 190 or Governor 186 should make the list as well...Plenty of TGR forum material on those skis.