Boot fitter in Denver or Jackson

Any recommendations or horror stories for AT boot fitters in either Denver or Jackson?

lots of good boot guys in JH-
    maggot skiing- in- jackson out at JH sports
    Lots of good fitters at Hoback sports too- Matt Haviland is my fav
    and Matt Sheets at Teton Village Sports all get high recs from my feet

did you know your cousin also posts here?
    skid luxury

Quote Originally Posted by b-bear View Post
    lots of good boot guys in JH-
    maggot skiing- in- jackson out at JH sports
    Lots of good fitters at Hoback sports too- Matt Haviland is my fav
    and Matt Sheets at Teton Village Sports all get high recs from my feet

did you know your cousin also posts here?
    Pretty sure skiing-in-jackson isn't working at JH Sports anymore. Don't know if he's doing boot fitting anywhere.
    Matt Sheets is great at TVS as well as Tyler if he is still there.
    No personal experience but have heard Don at Hoback is also good.
    "College sailing isn't about who wins the most races, its about who can stand in the morning"

In Denver - Paul at Larson's Ski and Sport is solid, the folks at Wilderness Exchange are great, and I've heard Boot Mechanics in Golden is excellent.

Jeremy at Boot Mechanics did a really nice job for me on some extensive punching last season. Don't forget about Andrew over at the Custom Foot either - he's great too. They also stock Zipfit.

Larry at Larry's Bootfitting in Boulder is also a great choice. I've got very hard-to-fit feet and he worked wonders on my TLT6 and Spectres.

Seconding Larry's in Boulder if you want to do it in in the Colorado Front Range.

If you anticipate a lot of work being done on your boots, it would make sense to start with the place you'll be at throughout the season.

... Thom
    Last edited by galibier_numero_un; 11-15-2016 at 12:55 PM.
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

If you go to Larry's give yourself a few hours to finish. I went two Sundays ago and was there for 5 fuckin hours buying one pair of boots and heat molding another. Good price and fit though

Definitely make it an outing and have fun with it ...

I wander into Larry's on a regular basis while running errands, and it's the busiest I've ever seen the shop this time of year (which obviously, is peak season anyhow). Part of this is no doubt, his reputation growing with each passing year, but additionally, my sense is that people are particularly stoked this season.

... Thom
    Last edited by galibier_numero_un; 11-16-2016 at 03:22 PM.
    Galibier Design

Sheets or Tyler at TVS helped get my 2 sizes too small xt130s into tip top shape! Made me some nice conformables and heated up my intuition tours and Im loving them!

Sign of a good boot shop ... always willing to go smaller. Go small or go home ;-)

... Thom
    Galibier Design

Larry in Boulder is the man. Call ahead for an appointment , bring food for yourself and an ice tea for Larry.

Fuck JH sports. They totally fucked up a special order bootfitting for me 2 years ago. Thankfully, they ate the money for the boot, after getting me into one that was too sloppy and way too big.. i tried for 27.5, they insisted on 28.5 plug boots, and i ended up getting slop city

Worst bootfitting experience of my life. After it was all over, I went home, ordered a salomon boot that was only available online.. it fit great out of the box and Ive never looked back..

Last year boyfriend had many problems with his boots.
    He got his boots fitted and we both got custom insoles from Jackson Hole Sports.
    His boots fitting improved, but the custom insoles ($250 each) didn't work for us.
    To be fair, that could be just us.
    There were plenty others raved about those insoles.
    Last edited by nutmegchoi; 11-16-2016 at 11:48 AM.

The Custom Foot did me right.

Quote Originally Posted by aevergreene View Post
    Fuck JH sports. They totally fucked up a special order bootfitting for me 2 years ago. Thankfully, they ate the money for the boot, after getting me into one that was too sloppy and way too big.. i tried for 27.5, they insisted on 28.5 plug boots, and i ended up getting slop city

Worst bootfitting experience of my life. After it was all over, I went home, ordered a salomon boot that was only available online.. it fit great out of the box and Ive never looked back..
    They special ordered you the boots that they believed would be the best match for you, then ate the cost associated with them when they didn't work for you? And you say fuck them?

And then you ordered Salomon boots that are ONLY available online? I honestly didn't know Salomon offered product that was available exclusively online and not in brick and mortar shops.

I took last year off to recover from the corporate experience. Very happy to be free from the corp.

I'm the basement of the Hostel X.

I'm doing custom orthotics and bootwork. I'll make your boots fit great! More later.
    Last edited by skiing-in-jackson; 11-17-2016 at 12:21 PM.
    Ski Shop - Basement of the Hostel

Do not tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish.

Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by One (+) Sentence View Post
    They special ordered you the boots that they believed would be the best match for you, then ate the cost associated with them when they didn't work for you? And you say fuck them?

And then you ordered Salomon boots that are ONLY available online? I honestly didn't know Salomon offered product that was available exclusively online and not in brick and mortar shops.
    Yes I say fuck them, twice over. I missed a month of skiing hard, because I was in sloppy boots.. and I had to try really hard to get my money back. Weeks of bothering them, and was told by regular employees I couldn't get my money back.. so I finally went to the manager, and about 3 seconds after telling him the story, he sees that his employees fucked me over, and issues me a full refund.

I told them multiple times I wear 27.5, and don't like slop, but that 27.5 is a little too small for my feet. They insisted a 28.5 plug would make the difference, and I was very reluctant to do so, because I couldn't try them on. A few times back in, searching for other boots, they kept insisting the 28.5 plug..

So I order the Fischer rc4 pro they insisted was the best option. I get it, they do the vacuum fit thing, and it sucks. I had to start putting bontex in them to take up volume, and had to have massive insoles made to take up mor volume, and my foot was floating around. It didn't feel anything like a plug boot, and it was the sloppiest 28.5 I've ever been in. It just didn't fit, after weeks of them telling me it'd be the perfect match, better than anything that they had in stock. The Fischer rc4 pro isn't even a real plug.. I didn't know that, the people who sold me them should've known. But they fucked me.

I went home and ordered a salomon ghost 130, of which I am still skiing today. No bootfitting needed, straight out of the box. Better fit than a bootfitter set me up with.. the ghost was really only available online, and hard to find in brick and mortar shops.

I don't go to bootfitters anymore. I have also been fucked over by a really reputable guy in Colorado as well, and didn't get a refund...I find my own boot, that fits close enough out of the box, and then I take it to a bootfitter if I need a little work. I dont trust bootfitters to wipe my ass anymore, in fact, I walk in to their shops, try on all the fucken boots, and walk out just to buy the one I want online.

Call me a dick, but I have had multiple bad experiences with bootfitters, not just JH sports.

Plus.... i didnt get a real refund, i got store credit, and had to waste $800 on shit i didnt need.

As a broke 23 year old at the time..

Skiing-In-Jackson, a great guy and a mag, was not apart of my JH Sports mess.. in fact, he was the only one on my side.

All the bad stuff I said about bootfitters, out of anger, does not apply to him. I have spoken with skiing-in-jackson multiple times, and I would spend my money with him for sure.

He is a great bootfitter, and if hes still in Jackson, go to him. He knows what hes doing. He has great attention to detail, and isnt just trying to sell the most expensive boots to broke kids. He always could help my situations, and he simply just knows what hes doing. A true professional!

Edit: he's working out of the Hostel now, which is great. Definitely go to him. If youre as picky as I am about boots, he is the one to spend your money with. Dont waste your time going to anyone else.
    Last edited by aevergreene; 11-17-2016 at 01:26 PM.

Larry's...Larry's...Larry's....

Can't say enough about how much he has helped me in the past with my ridiculous boot issues. I will be going in on Monday again for my third set of insoles and to have my intuitions baked.
    You should have been here yesterday!

Quote Originally Posted by aevergreene View Post

Edit: he's working out of the Hostel now, which is great. Definitely go to him. If youre as picky as I am about boots, he is the one to spend your money with. Dont waste your time going to anyone else.
    Anything or anyone working out of The Hostel is aok in my book. Some of the last soul left in the vil

Quote Originally Posted by skiing-in-jackson View Post
    I took last year off to recover from the corporate experience. Very happy to be free from the corp.

I'm the basement of the Hostel X.

I'm doing custom orthotics and bootwork. I'll make your boots fit great! More later.
    Thanks again for taking care of me on short notice! Had some bad heal pain with my boots that was building all season so I went to skiing-in jackson a couple weeks back. He spent a bunch of time figuring out what was wrong and ended up fixing me up and educating me and after 4 more days of skiing I had zero heal pain. Like magic. Also the price was super great and I left the shop with a whiskey buzz.