Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by oftpiste View Post
    Set up a Netgear CM1000 (DOCSIS 3.1) yesterday. Kept existing router. Online speed tests seems o indicate an increase in speed. Not sure I can feel it. Any of you experts know if those things are in any way reliable?
    Really depends on the Speed test you used. Some are pretty bad at any resemblance of accuracy. SpeedTest net is one of the worst. I use a few different ones- Bing has one, and most of the ISP's have their own but can be untrustworthy in some eyes too. Speakeasy (Megapath) and a few others that do download speeds only can be some to consider.

fast.com gives me 270 with new modem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    If I lived in WA, Oft would be my realtor. Seriously.

fast.com gives me 270 with new modem.
    Run a couple different ones. Device on the modem first (not the router or wifi to start out)... And then behind the router, via ethernet cable and then wifi and see how each report.

Quote Originally Posted by RShea View Post
    Run a couple different ones. Device on the modem first (not the router or wifi to start out)... And then behind the router, via ethernet cable and then wifi and see how each report.
    Just got a wifi on fast.com of 350. Speedtest says 275.
    Ethernet cable from router to laptop (using ethernet/Thunderbolt adapter) was 320
    Interestingly, could not get an internet connection directly from modem to laptop using fresh cable and Thunderbolt adapter. Tried 2 different cables and both Thunderbolt ports. That was puzzling.

Was told my someone fairly reliable this morning that there's not much point in paying extra for higher speed at comcast since everyone gets pretty much the same speed anyway. Any truth to that? I pay an extra $10 a month for "blast pro".

Just got a wifi on fast.com of 350. Speedtest says 275.
    Ethernet cable from router to laptop (using ethernet/Thunderbolt adapter) was 320
    Interestingly, could not get an internet connection directly from modem to laptop using fresh cable and Thunderbolt adapter. Tried 2 different cables and both Thunderbolt ports. That was puzzling.

Was told my someone fairly reliable this morning that there's not much point in paying extra for higher speed at comcast since everyone gets pretty much the same speed anyway. Any truth to that? I pay an extra $10 a month for "blast pro".
    Did you power cycle and refresh your modem after you unplugged the router to it? Most cable modems are bound to the device address and need that power down and then back on to detect the new connection (and of course once you are done with the direct connection do the same when going back to the router. Another thing to see is if you can use the cable and thunderbolt adapter to the router wired? If you can then it is not that setup or ethernet cable most likely.

As for the Comcast comment- if you are not getting what your contract states, then either complain or ask them what is up. But a quick Google (since again I never deal with Comcast) shows like link: http://www.dslreports.com/faq/15643 and your numbers seem to indicated that you are getting the Blast Pro speeds or close to them.

Bump

After working a promotional deal for 3 years CenturyLink is refusing to renew the discount rate. The full price is a joke for the speed provided, so back to the evil empire I go apparently. The fuckers now want $13/mo for modem/router rental, which is straight-up robbery. So, suggestions? $100 max, ideally I'd like to be in the black within 6 months.

edit: Just realized this is in TT. Mods--move it to the Padded Room? funken won't mind.
    Last edited by Dantheman; 06-18-2019 at 04:20 PM.

If you already have a router you can get a basic motorola/arris surfboard cable modem for around $50

No standalone router, just a DSL modem/router combo.

I relented and sold my own modem/router and went with theirs. They put a plan together that had better speed, more features and more TV for less than I was paying before, including the router rental.

The trick with Comcast is to physically go into their store and sit down with a human. They usually do a pretty good job of massaging things much better than on the phone. No upsells, just seem to put a decent deal together. Every couple of years whether I need to or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Bump

After working a promotional deal for 3 years CenturyLink is refusing to renew the discount rate. The full price is a joke for the speed provided, so back to the evil empire I go apparently. The fuckers now want $13/mo for modem/router rental, which is straight-up robbery. So, suggestions? $100 max, ideally I'd like to be in the black within 6 months.

edit: Just realized this is in TT. Mods--move it to the Padded Room? funken won't mind.
    Most of the $40 cable modems and $60 wifi routers on Amazon will work.

Comcast has an “approved third party equipment” database on their website, so just make sure your modem is on that list and that both the modem and router are rated for more bandwidth than your getting from Comcast.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

The trick with Comcast is to physically go into their store and sit down with a human. They usually do a pretty good job of massaging things much better than on the phone. No upsells, just seem to put a decent deal together. Every couple of years whether I need to or not.
    Totally agree, my experiences in the store have almost always been good and successful.

I pay the stupid rental fee as insurance against problems with my line (where you know you will be told it is your modem's fault if you're not using theirs).

I hate Comcast, but the only company that I hate more is CenturyLink.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Help me ditch my Comcast modem

New Comcast question bump:

I’m currently at 75mbps. I stream YouTube tv, sometimes up to 4K, sometimes 2 TVs at once, plus sometimes laptops doing video on top of that. Lots of streaming music. Have never felt like a performance hit has been a problem, but every once in a while have some very minor buffering issues. But not sure that due to concurrent use or other things. We have a good internet price for that service. The only provider available at my house is Comcast.

First question: we can sign up for a 2 year deal that saves us $6/mo and bump up to 500 mbps. After 2 years it goes to market rate so I’d have to deal with it then. Current deal goes forever (or until they cancel it). Thoughts? Worth it for performance?

Second- I have the Comcast combo router/modem for $13/mo. Is it worth replacing that with third party equipment I purchase? I might save some cash but then I give up the free Comcast service (which admittedly kinda sucks). And also they tend to upgrade the modem every couple of years so I tend to have newer tech by renting...

Thanks for any expert answers to those 2 questions. I run IT stuff for my firm but this is not really my area.

$13 per month means that your own devices should be done in my opinion. Should be able to pay for the modem in 4 or less months with the Black Friday/Cyber Monday sales or even finding a clearance sale for one that meets the speed needed. Then same for a separate router device should be in the $50 to $150 depending on the wifi speed you pick. Or even better experience would be a Mesh setup like Google Wifi, TP-Link Deco, Orbi, or a few others out there for better coverage in the house so signal strength is not part of the issue.

Quote Originally Posted by beece View Post
    New Comcast question bump:

I’m currently at 75mbps. I stream YouTube tv, sometimes up to 4K, sometimes 2 TVs at once, plus sometimes laptops doing video on top of that. Lots of streaming music. Have never felt like a performance hit has been a problem, but every once in a while have some very minor buffering issues. But not sure that due to concurrent use or other things. We have a good internet price for that service. The only provider available at my house is Comcast.

First question: we can sign up for a 2 year deal that saves us $6/mo and bump up to 500 mbps. After 2 years it goes to market rate so I’d have to deal with it then. Current deal goes forever (or until they cancel it). Thoughts? Worth it for performance?

Second- I have the Comcast combo router/modem for $13/mo. Is it worth replacing that with third party equipment I purchase? I might save some cash but then I give up the free Comcast service (which admittedly kinda sucks). And also they tend to upgrade the modem every couple of years so I tend to have newer tech by renting...

Thanks for any expert answers to those 2 questions. I run IT stuff for my firm but this is not really my area.
    If the speed works for you, it might be worth it for you to keep it, just to not have to deal with trying to get a deal next time. If it was me, I would go with the cheaper/faster and roll the dice. Definitely drop the rental gear though. You should make the money you spend on a modem and a router back in less than a year.
    Should you want to get a modem and you’re near Boulder, I have a Motorola MB7621 modem I’m not using that you can have for the cost of three month’s rental. It’s lightly used as I ended up dropping Comcast earlier this year. Then find yourself a separate router - now is a good time to look for one.

Quote Originally Posted by zartagen View Post
    Of course you are.

outstanding

the most beautiful place in the whole wide world
    Quote Originally Posted by backcountrybummer View Post
    outstanding
    I like the extra foil on the chin strap....