Page 46 of 65 FirstFirst ... 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 ... LastLast
Results 1,126 to 1,150 of 1602

Thread: Truck Tire Time

The Nitto Ridge Grapplers are a great summer tire. They suuuuck in the snow.

Anyone have experience with mostly on road focused a/ts? Looking at falken wild peak trails (not atw) or conti terrain contacts for our q7. Mostly highway miles with a fair bit of towing a 4500lb trailer and some light gravel roads for MTB and ski access. Looking for something a bit sturdier for towing and to prevent flats more than extra grip. I have conti Viking contacts in a second set of wheels for winter so snow performance is not important but wet road performance is. I picked up a nail in the current Bridgestones that are close to end of life so looking to buy something soon.

Also considering the bfg trail terrain. It’s a bit cheaper but the tread doesn’t look great for wet roads

Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    The Nitto Ridge Grapplers are a great summer tire. They suuuuck in the snow.

I’ve had zero problem plowing with ridge grapplers as long as there is weight in the bed. Traction has been just as good as a duratrac.

After 10k on my general grabbers they seem to be wearing well. No real signs of wear . Definitely a good all season. Better traction than the falkken wild peaks they replaced . I think they roll slower on asphalt than the falkkens though. Good price , would hit again 9/10

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by carlh View Post
    Anyone have experience with mostly on road focused a/ts? Looking at falken wild peak trails (not atw) or conti terrain contacts for our q7. Mostly highway miles with a fair bit of towing a 4500lb trailer and some light gravel roads for MTB and ski access. Looking for something a bit sturdier for towing and to prevent flats more than extra grip. I have conti Viking contacts in a second set of wheels for winter so snow performance is not important but wet road performance is. I picked up a nail in the current Bridgestones that are close to end of life so looking to buy something soon.
    I’ve been happy with E rated Geolandar AT G015 on a Sierra 1500. Similar use but no towing. Lots of gravel miles, and shuttle laps up ski hill service roads, Sand Flats and Gemini Bridges roads, etc. I think I posted some reviews above a couple years ago. I do swap them out for Hakkas in the winter.

I've been running the Mickey Thompson Baja A/T on my raptor for 4~ years. I'm probably going to go to 37s if I dont sell my truck this summer, so options are limited to KO2s or something from Kana I think. Has anyone had any experience with Kana? Trail Hog AT is the name I believe

I've had nothing but good experiences with Toyo Open Country A/T IIs and IIIs on a Honda Element and Sprinter van, respectively. Really good snow and ice traction. Excellent durability (I got something like 75k miles out of the IIs on the Element.)

Lately I've been looking at BF Goodrich All Terrain T/A KO2s, which everyone seems to love as a solid choice for an all-around A/T tire, for my current mountain machine, a Volvo cross country wagon.

I’ll second the Yokohama G015 rec for mostly-on-road but still AT capable. It’s incredibly quiet and has good road manners but plenty of traction if you need it.

I have the General ATX right now and they’re good on road but the Yokos are better. Same for the Cooper AT3, Yoko has better road manners.

I'm thinking about winters for my ioniq 5. Stock are 235/55R19, was thinking 235/65R17 mostly because they're $65/corner cheaper for Haka 10 studded. Probably a little cheaper for rims too. They will be out by about 1kph at 160kph so not an issue.

Pros and cons?
    Pros: less $, more tire selection, softer ride, ?...
    Cons: softer ride, ?...

Quote Originally Posted by Stuntmonkey View Post
    I've been running the Mickey Thompson Baja A/T on my raptor for 4~ years. I'm probably going to go to 37s if I dont sell my truck this summer, so options are limited to KO2s or something from Kana I think. Has anyone had any experience with Kana? Trail Hog AT is the name I believe
    why are those your only options for 37s. I run 37s and have plenty of options. Ridge grappler, toyo opens, mickys, bfg’s, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Beaver View Post
    I'm thinking about winters for my ioniq 5. Stock are 235/55R19, was thinking 235/65R17 mostly because they're $65/corner cheaper for Haka 10 studded. Probably a little cheaper for rims too. They will be out by about 1kph at 160kph so not an issue.

Pros and cons?
    Pros: less $, more tire selection, softer ride, ?...
    Cons: softer ride, ?...
    I'd make sure 17s clear your brake calipers. A quick google makes it look like they may not.

https://www.ioniqforum.com/threads/i...-wheels.37992/

What did you end up with?

Similar situation for my wife's Tiguan, which is our main road-trip/outdoor activity car. Mostly want road performance/low noise, but want something with a little more sidewall/puncture resistance for dirt roads, some of which aren't very nice. Grip has never felt like an issue, but I get a little sketched out when a couple miles down a gravel road and the rocks start to get real sharp looking.
    Snow performance doesn't matter--have second set of wheels with nokian winter tires.

Takes a smaller tire though, which limits the number of available CUV semi-A/T tires. The Falken Wildpeak a/t trail looks like the leading contender.

Geolander A/T G015 are available in OEM size, but seem to get lower marks than the falkens. Toyo Open Country A/T III seems too aggressive (similar to the wildpeak A/T3W). Nitto Nomad Grappler is an option but I haven't found a lot of info about them. I can also push the tire wider than OEM to open up some more options but none of them seem like a silver bullet. Could bump diameter (and gain a pinch more ground clearance), but don't want to deal with odometer/speedo issues.

edit: also of interest, but seem harder to find in the USA...Nokian has a new tire in this category--the Outpost APT. https://www.prioritytire.com/nokian-...-terrain-tire/
    Supposedly good road manners, but louder than the geolanders (which might be louder than the wildpeaks). I like Nokians, and at least from the above website these are way cheaper than any of the other options.
    Last edited by singlesline; 07-18-2022 at 03:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by singlesline View Post
    What did you end up with?

Similar situation for my wife's Tiguan, which is our main road-trip/outdoor activity car. Mostly want road performance/low noise, but want something with a little more sidewall/puncture resistance for dirt roads, some of which aren't very nice. Grip has never felt like an issue, but I get a little sketched out when a couple miles down a gravel road and the rocks start to get real sharp looking.
    Snow performance doesn't matter--have second set of wheels with nokian winter tires.

Takes a smaller tire though, which limits the number of available CUV semi-A/T tires. The Falken Wildpeak a/t trail looks like the leading contender.

Geolander A/T G015 are available in OEM size, but seem to get lower marks than the falkens. Toyo Open Country A/T III seems too aggressive (similar to the wildpeak A/T3W). Nitto Nomad Grappler is an option but I haven't found a lot of info about them. I can also push the tire wider than OEM to open up some more options but none of them seem like a silver bullet. Could bump diameter (and gain a pinch more ground clearance), but don't want to deal with odometer/speedo issues.

edit: also of interest, but seem harder to find in the USA...Nokian has a new tire in this category--the Outpost APT. https://www.prioritytire.com/nokian-...-terrain-tire/
    Supposedly good road manners, but louder than the geolanders (which might be louder than the wildpeaks). I like Nokians, and at least from the above website these are way cheaper than any of the other options.
    Have the Falkens on my Tiguan (stock size) and like them. Only a couple thousand miles on them but good road manners, not loud on the highway or anything.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

^^^ same. I’ve run the wildpeaks on my last 3 cars and I love them. Great manners on road including up to triple digits, great in snow, great off road including sand and chunky rock. Haven’t found a downside.

Planning to replace my five-season-old Nokian LT2s on my truck this winter, preferred tire size is LT275/70/18 (although I probably could go a smidge bigger at this point since upgrading the suspension).

I was fully prepared to suck up the hit to my wallet and just go with LT3s...but apparently there aren't any available. According to the shop I use, the Nokian factory producing them is in Russia, and Nokian hasn't even been able to get the LT3 molds out of the country, let alone resume manufacturing elsewhere. The shop's recommendation, of the stuff they have available in the same size, would be the General Grabber Arctic. I've run an older passenger-car version previously and been happy with them, but I wanted to see if anyone had any other suggestions before I pulled the trigger.

Also, if Nokian is having trouble manufacturing even one model, I would think this winter might be interesting for tire shopping. Their website info suggests they've shifted production out of their Russian factory but were still looking for additional manufacturing capacity as of June: https://www.nokiantyres.com/company/...ses-in-russia/

I just bought LT3s (in the same size you're after, load range E) from Discount.

Nokian's website showed them in stock at my local store a couple weeks ago and I jumped, fearing supply issues.

Tried widening your search radius? I bet it's early enough that you can find them in stores still.

Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    I just bought LT3s (in the same size you're after, load range E) from Discount.

Nokian's website showed them in stock at my local store a couple weeks ago and I jumped, fearing supply issues.

Tried widening your search radius? I bet it's early enough that you can find them in stores still.
    I'd rather have fresh Generals than year-old Nokians. Well, more to the point, I'd rather have four-year-old Generals than five-year-old Nokians in a few years, as I don't drive enough miles to burn through tires before they age beyond what I'm comfortable with (I'm in the 60%-ish range on my LT2s now after five winters).

If yours have a date code that's from this year, I might go ahead and order four of the last five Discount has (I'm sure the local shop will mount them for me)...what do they show?

Quote Originally Posted by anotherVTskibum View Post
    I'd rather have fresh Generals than year-old Nokians. Well, more to the point, I'd rather have four-year-old Generals than five-year-old Nokians in a few years, as I don't drive enough miles to burn through tires before they age beyond what I'm comfortable with (I'm in the 60%-ish range on my LT2s now after five winters).

If yours have a date code that's from this year, I might go ahead and order four of the last five Discount has (I'm sure the local shop will mount them for me)...what do they show?
    Mine aren't as fresh as you're wanting... they are stamped for the 39th week of 2020. I'll burn em up in two or three seasons so no biggie here, but sound like your use case might point you elsewhere.

Good luck -

Spam...

Selling decent Nokians w TRD 17s:

https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/....php?p=6687632

Anyone use the Toyo Open Country III?

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post

on the Jeep Grand Cherokee year around. The ride great. A little noisier then a regular stock tire, but handle snow and mud well. No complaints. Have 16k on them and wearing well rotating ever 6k

Quote Originally Posted by SoVT Joey View Post
    on the Jeep Grand Cherokee year around. The ride great. A little noisier then a regular stock tire, but handle snow and mud well. No complaints. Have 16k on them and wearing well rotating ever 6k
    Right on. They seem to be getting good reviews on Tirerack. I use snow tires in the winter but usually get caught by a couple of surprise storms on both ends of the season. They seem like a good compromise of good off-road without being obnoxiously loud like a m/t tire.

I've got a bit more than 50k miles on a pair of C rated K02s on my 4runner.

New K02s have 15/32 of tread. BFG recommends replacing at 4/32. I did a test with a quarter (couldn't readily find a penny) and I think I have somewhere around 7/32 of tread still.

The K02 achieves traction in snow and ice by compacting snow between the tread and having snow on snow contact. I've noticed slightly diminishing returns as the tread has worn down. I've also read that the compound starts of softer and gets harder as you wear through it.

What's everyone's opinion on when to replace if driving in snow? I've got a trip planned this year to drive from the Tetons up to BC in Jan. Wondering if I should bite the bullet and replace, even if it is a bit early.

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post

Bumping this, very interested in these tires

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk