Page 25 of 65 FirstFirst ... 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ... LastLast

Thread: Truck Tire Time

Quote Originally Posted by LightRanger View Post
    Yeah. I remember Big O had to special order them for us. But that wasn't in the mountains. What you related was just shit company rep to dealer communications. Pretty inexcusable.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    Yup, i had to special order from my Cooper tire shop as well. They thought it was weird that i would be ordering those tires over the AT3s, but about 12months later when i came back in (they do my oil changes sometimes too) the owner came out and commented that he put some ATWs on his truck to try them out and now thinks they are the best tire that Cooper makes. It seems like the cooper reps dont push the tire very hard to the shops, so inturn the shops dont push the tire to the customers. Shame.

Truck Tire Time

My current cooper ATW’s are load index of 116 on a land cruiser. How much rougher is the truck going to feel with tire indexed at 120 or 123 for a single tire? “LT” tires that I’m seeing are 120-ish load index, which makes sense as e rated, “10 ply” tires. The coopers at 116, have been fine and I’d assume other tires at 116 would be similar.
    Last edited by bodywhomper; 10-26-2019 at 03:51 PM.

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Studded tires in 265/75r16? Seems like a weird/difficult size for studded.

Been driving the canyon alot early in the AM. Possibly will be driving it every day this winter. BFG AT TA KOs don't seem all that great when it's solid ice or really cold. I guess no tires are unless studded.

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    No studs.

Shortlist for me: general grabber artic LT, hankook ipike (116 load index), cooper discoverer m+s (116 load index). All other brands/models are a lot more $$. I do not find the trade off of short wear life of blizzaks worthwhile (I’ve run sets blizzaks on several cars over the past 10 yrs).

I have run through several batches of general studdable winter tires on a subi and have been very happy with them. Also used Nokian WR2 and blizzak ws70(?) on that subi.

If your wheels aren't super wide you could run a 235/85r16, they are the same height but narrower. You'll only find LR E though. What rig are they going on?

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Quote Originally Posted by snowaddict91 View Post
    If your wheels aren't super wide you could run a 235/85r16, they are the same height but narrower. You'll only find LR E though. What rig are they going on?
    A Tundra TuRD with the beadlock wheels like these: (photo stolen from the internet)

Name:  IMG_1502_zpsvpx1u7wc_7cfbe0b232dcea3657a7d63da534faaf8c7d32e5.jpg
Views: 606
Size:  79.0 KB

A Tundra TuRD with the beadlock wheels like these: (photo stolen from the internet)

Hmm, probably too narrow for a Tundra. They'd look good on the Taco in that pick though. Quick search looks like you can get Cooper M+S in 265/75r16 for under $500. That's what I would do.

Truck Tire Time

I misunderstood your previous post. You and I are looking for the same size tire, but studded vs not studded. See my list above, all of those tires can be studded. Tire rack and America’s tire (discount tire) are the online sources that I’m see with the best prices. I’m pretty sure that the hankook’s and the cooper’s are available in that size both as 116 load rating (d? rate) or as 123 load rating (LT E rate).
    Last edited by bodywhomper; 10-26-2019 at 08:01 PM.

Any insight into the Dynapro ATM vs the new AT-2? I'm buying a 2011 Nissan Frontier and live in snow country for 5 months a year. I'm quibbling on if I want to have a set of snows & some sort of AT tire for the summer or just try to get by year round with one set. I'm figuring on weight in the bed, plus canopy but I'm unsure of what I'm getting into in comparison to my 99 Outback with Blizzaks for the winter. Winter driving will be 80-90% driving on snow vs doing the wet pavement commute to the ski hill.

Any thoughts?

Truck Tire Time

If you can afford it, get two sets of tires/wheels

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    If you can afford it, get two sets of tires/wheels
    Ditto. With that amount of driving on snow, you should really try to get a 2nd set of dedicated winter tires.
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

Quote Originally Posted by Toadman View Post
    Ditto. With that amount of driving on snow, you should really try to get a 2nd set of dedicated winter tires.
    3rded. You'll feel a pretty serious departure from an outback with snows.

Ugh. Will do. Thanks guys.

Looking for some recommendations.

I have an F-150 w/ Goodyear wranglers. Tread is starting to get a bit low.

My wife and I road trip 12-15 hours to ski, long story but my job took me away from mountain areas for a little while.

We’re going to be up and down berthoud pass a few times this year and driving up and around mt rose highway.

Need tires that are fine on the road for the trips but also will handle snow well on those crappy steep hills.

Looking at cooper AT/Ws, toyo at2s, at3w falkens and cooper ATPs.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Truck Tire Time

FYI Costco has excellent deal on Blizzaks right now. $110 off set of 4 installed (for any Bridgestone tire). $150 off any set of 4 Michelin’s installed.

I just had discount tire price match it, ended up being $675 installed for Blizzaks 255/70/r18 for the F150. Promotion ends Dec 24th

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Last edited by Muggydude; 11-30-2019 at 04:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cdalpra View Post
    Looking for some recommendations.

I have an F-150 w/ Goodyear wranglers. Tread is starting to get a bit low.

My wife and I road trip 12-15 hours to ski, long story but my job took me away from mountain areas for a little while.

We’re going to be up and down berthoud pass a few times this year and driving up and around mt rose highway.

Need tires that are fine on the road for the trips but also will handle snow well on those crappy steep hills.

Looking at cooper AT/Ws, toyo at2s, at3w falkens and cooper ATPs.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If you mean Wrangler Duratracs then I still think it's an argument of KO2 vs. Duratracs, around here anyway those are the only snowflake rated truck tires anybody buys.

I wish tire companies would divulge when or if they change the compounds in their tires but I lean KO2 due to:
    - a newer design vs. the 10 year+ Duratrac, this leads me to suspect also more tech has been put into the KO2 compound
    - more surface area on the KO2 for icey conditions
    - 8 ply KO2 vs. 6 or 10 ply of the Duratrac makes for a nice strength and weight compromise
    - while Duratracs may have a slight advantage in deeper snow, from what I hear from some people who describe them as 'hockey pucks' (this may be on stiffer 10 plys only???), leads me to want to believe the KO2s are a softer and grippier on ice

I've been pretty happy with KO2s for winter driving...in their first season anyways. They do lose grip going into a second and consecutive winters but I suspect all of the aggressive ATs do this to a similar degree.

The new Nokian Hakka LT3s look absolutely amazing if you can afford real winter tires.

i just went Falken AT3W for my T4R today. price matched at discount tire against amazon at $120 ea. i don’t have any notable experience, and run blizzaks on my smaller car. decision was based on a lot of forum discussion and my desire to error towards snow/rain performance.

Truck Tire Time

Cooper ATPs and Toyo AT2s both have a firmer rubber compound that isn't great once they get some miles on them IME. General Grabber AT2s have been great in the snow for me. Just put some new General ATXs on my F150 and early impressions have been great. I did notice my new ATXs don't have full depth siping though, I thought my AT2s did.

Duratracs are good but a little more aggressive and louder. Haven't ran the Falkens yet to have an opinion on them.

Quote Originally Posted by shroom View Post
    i just went Falken AT3W for my T4R today. price matched at discount tire against amazon at $120 ea. i don’t have any notable experience, and run blizzaks on my smaller car. decision was based on a lot of forum discussion and my desire to error towards snow/rain performance.
    I have had a set of these on my Tundra for a little over a year now, they perform great and are very predictable. I feel like I should get studded winter tires but they have been good enough to keep me from making the purchase thus far.
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025

Quote Originally Posted by Eluder View Post
    I have had a set of these on my Tundra for a little over a year now, they perform great and are very predictable. I feel like I should get studded winter tires but they have been good enough to keep me from making the purchase thus far.
    sweet, glad to hear that. my plan was to test out this season and move to snows if needed or as tread wears, which sounds like it could be the game.

Just bought a truck that came with winter tires on it (NOKIAN HAKKAPELIITTA R2 SUV).

I've had winters on cars, and AT's/MT's on trucks, but never winters on a truck.

Am I gonna roach these tires driving on logging roads? Will they be useless in fairly deep greasy mud? Should I just go ahead and order a 10" lift and 38's?

Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by BCJC View Post
    Just bought a truck that came with winter tires on it (NOKIAN HAKKAPELIITTA R2 SUV).

I've had winters on cars, and AT's/MT's on trucks, but never winters on a truck.

Am I gonna roach these tires driving on logging roads? Will they be useless in fairly deep greasy mud? Should I just go ahead and order a 10" lift and 38's?

Cheers.
    You are a fucking idiot.

Hadn't considered that option.

Please go on.

Quote Originally Posted by BCJC View Post
    Hadn't considered that option.

Please go on.
    yes
    "Its not the arrow, its the Indian" - M.Pinto

In case the sensitive puritans didn't realize, I was joking about the lift.

Winter tires on logging roads a real dilemma though.