Page 3 of 64 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: Truck Tire Time

Quote Originally Posted by esseff View Post
    Black Friday deals are out. Pretty much narrowed to Cooper and Maybe Falken AT3W. Anyone know the Cooper ATP? Looks more A/T than the AT3 (and considering my primary HWY use it may be overkill). Also, the Falken is tempting but no real reviews as its new. Again, non-snow manners may make it loud or overkill compared to the AT3.

Discount tire pricing:

Cooper Discoverer ATP: $139
    Cooper Discoverer A/T3: $149 (if using the pep boy price match on their cooper A/T)
    Falken Wild Peak A/T3W: $155

ATP:
    Attachment 193125

AT3:
    Attachment 193126

AT3W:
    Attachment 193127
    I got to drive the AT3W around on a few inches of snow, slush and ice. Very very good. When it did let go it was predictable and only cause I forced my van to. Better than the AT3, but probably not any better than the new ATW from Cooper which I would add to your list.

No testing in deep snow yet, but given the tread depth and lug pattern I expect good things.

I'm sure his employees fully support him............

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post

They have fantastic service and nearly unbeatable prices.

Quote Originally Posted by AaronWright View Post
    They have fantastic service and nearly unbeatable prices.

Yeah, I just posted so that informed decisions could be made. I personally won't spend there even if it costs a few bucks more.

Nokian Hak LT2 on my Tacoma, because no one has mentioned these yet. Mine are 10 ply and ran me around $160 mounted. Gas mileage dropped a little maybe about a 1 mpg, they handle good, and are quit enough. I had a couple of old style Tundra's prior to downsizing to a Taco. I wouldn't hesitate to put them on a full size truck. My first set of Nokian's and most likely not the last.

I think studs are overkill for my needs in CA. I also was under the assumption that studs are illegal in CA but I looked it up and they are permitted November 1 to April 30. I don't think I've ever seen a vehicle w/studs in Tahoe...not that I am looking but you can generally hear them.

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Pabst View Post
    Nokian Hak LT2 on my Tacoma, because no one has mentioned these yet. Mine are 10 ply and ran me around $160 mounted. Gas mileage dropped a little maybe about a 1 mpg, they handle good, and are quit enough. I had a couple of old style Tundra's prior to downsizing to a Taco. I wouldn't hesitate to put them on a full size truck. My first set of Nokian's and most likely not the last.

Yeah, I just posted so that informed decisions could be made. I personally won't spend there even if it costs a few bucks more.
    you should probably stop buying tires then because I think most tire companies would not share your point of view.

Quote Originally Posted by t-the-east View Post
    This thread is great timing as I just bought a '12 Tundra and got some money off because the tires will need replacing. I've been in f150s for years and have used general Grabber at2s and bf Goodrich all terrain ko2s ( which I'm amazed hasn't come up yet in this thread ). The ko2s are nice, look tough, but are soft, wear fast, and are expensive. The general grabbers are cheap and wear much better. I've been looking at Duratracs, but very interested in some others here. Carry on
    Seems you want to stick with A/T-style tires. I'm riding Cooper ST Maxx tires on my 94 Toyota pickup. Tread design is based on the Dura Max. Love 'em! Good on the road, but waaaaay better dirt performance than either the Cooper Discovererererer A/Ts or the Toyo Open Country A/Ts that I previously used on the vehicle. Very, very heavy tires, though, and supposedly insanely difficult to puncture.

A similar tire that I recently learned about is the Toyo R/T. That tire is no doubt another Duramax ripoff. I may try these new Toyos on the FJ 80 I just bought. This Landcruiser already has a set of brand new mudders on it, but I ain't risking it.
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

Quote Originally Posted by AaronWright View Post
    you should probably stop buying tires then because I think most tire companies would not share your point of view.
    It's not about whether or not they share my point of view, it's about how they donate a stack money that I've contributed to. This isn't difficult.

Anyway, I'm getting ready to replace a Cooper A/T tire on my truck, I'll have to look at the exact model. It's been great in the snow and off-road and I've been pleased on the freeway, but the tread life hasn't been great.

Isn't the st maxx an M/T?

Quote Originally Posted by mtbcat View Post
    Michelin LTX MS
    These came on my used 03 Tundra 4x4 TRD.
    Any like or dislikes in the snow and off road ?
    So far i like on dry would like to hear others experience in the mountains.
    mixed reviews online.
    I had these on my old K1500 ('96 4x4 5.7L). Absolutely loved the tire. Aside from the fact that they are not dedicated winter, they were pretty great all - around. I drove them on two short "overland" trips (Austin to Big Bend - Spring and Austin to Ruidoso - Winter) using as much forest road/dirt roads as possible. Used them for some brief easy offroad jaunts around the Austin area (like driving up highline right of ways). Also saw 3 S. Indiana winters with these; drove nicely on some pretty frozen forest roads over there.

I easily drove through wet, consolidated snow that was as deep as the front bumper of the truck for several miles to get to a campsite. I pulled out of a 3' or so drift that was down in a ditch that I slid into (slowly) at a turnaround. They did pretty well during some ice rain storms but obviously aren't a winter tire. They are pretty good on slick rocks, but obviously not a true AT. Great on dirt and gravel. I drove Black Gap road (not a hard trail, but i mention in case you are familiar) with that truck, 31" tires and stock suspension and had zero tire slippage. They were pretty good on dirt roads that were a bit muddy from snow melt, actually pretty confident in some pretty slick mud, but obviously, the treads don't clear out like TSLs. They also looked about new after 60K. For in town, they were quiet and didn't hurt the mpg.

At work, I drive Firestone Transforce A/Ts on 2wd truck chassis' in snow and ice all winter. Not an aggressive tire at all, and fleet mechanics say they're getting like 50k miles out of them. For a pretty highway-oriented tire that lasts a long time and runs quiet they do pretty well in the snow.

Worth a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    Isn't the st maxx an M/T?
    No. Similar tread design to the Dura Max.
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

Quote Originally Posted by Viva View Post
    No. Similar tread design to the Dura Max.
    you mean dura trac, i think.

so they are another A/T-M/T hybrid....

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    so they are another A/T-M/T hybrid....
    Yes!
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

Just tried out the new updated 10 ply LT hakka's today in the snow on my Titan XD. These tires are amazing. I would highly recommend them for anyone needing an E-rated snow tire.

It's something of a wonder that more people don't boycott Utah for the same reason.

More information for that decision, D-Tire is running some significant rebates on tires like the Michelin Defender this Fri-Sat.

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    It's something of a wonder that more people don't boycott Utah for the same reason.
    Maybe DT owner has lost a lot of $ due to baked workers putting on tires improperly, w/out all lug nuts, etc.?

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    More information for that decision, D-Tire is running some significant rebates on tires like the Michelin Defender this Fri-Sat.
    I called DTD today and they said their prices are cheaper than local DT AND no sales tax for us prisoners here in CA. He said he would ship my order directly to the local DT for mounting. $15/tire. Probably more as there is TPMS, etc. but that is cheap.

He also verified DT does start their BF sales on Friday. He did not mention the actual discounts. I'll wait and compare prices on Friday.

Maybe DT owner has lost a lot of $ due to baked workers putting on tires improperly, w/out all lug nuts, etc.?

I called DTD today and they said their prices are cheaper than local DT AND no sales tax for us prisoners here in CA. He said he would ship my order directly to the local DT for mounting. $15/tire. Probably more as there is TPMS, etc. but that is cheap.

He also verified DT does start their BF sales on Friday. He did not mention the actual discounts. I'll wait and compare prices on Friday.
    Local store managers have the ability to haggle and adjust prices. You can ask them to match DTD and they probably will.

Truck Tire Time

Just got KO2's put on earlier this week.

5 tires, mounted and balanced for $900. Hard to beat

Got 50k+ out of my old AT's

How is that legal ? Seems like the sales tax people would have an issue with that scheme.

Disclosure: I don't know shit about sales tax laws because my state does not have a sales tax.
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

Quote Originally Posted by Harry View Post
    How is that legal ? Seems like the sales tax people would have an issue with that scheme.

Disclosure: I don't know shit about sales tax laws because my state does not have a sales tax.
    DTD is a separate store vs DT/America's Tire. So even though there are DT stores in Nevada, I can order from DTD and they don't charge sales tax in NV, and they ship free.

The Black Friday sales this time aren't that great -- not many manufacturer rebates to stack on the DTD ones. I was looking, since my sister needs some tires for her 4WD. The Cooper ATPs have been solid on my truck, and she does a fair amount of dirt road driving, so I think she's leaning towards those.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Was planning on Cooper ATW, but can't get them in the 4runner size (265/60R18).

So backups are:

Falken at3w, seem pretty similar to the cooper atw, perhaps less siping
    Cooper AT3, less winter oriented but likely pretty good
    Cooper ATP, ??? How do these compare?
    Cooper WSC, has anyone used these? Less of an AT design but studdable and winter design

Thoughts? Will likely go with the Falken.

I was in similar boat, my options came down to AT3 and Wild Peak AT3W. First pick was AT3 but they don't make my size (275/65/18) in a P. So I ordered the AT3W from local D Tire for great price match deal. Falken has 30 day trial period so if they are loud, I can dump them and get something different.

Quote Originally Posted by CaliBrit View Post
    Was planning on Cooper ATW, but can't get them in the 4runner size (265/60R18).

So backups are:

Falken at3w, seem pretty similar to the cooper atw, perhaps less siping
    Cooper AT3, less winter oriented but likely pretty good
    Cooper ATP, ??? How do these compare?
    Cooper WSC, has anyone used these? Less of an AT design but studdable and winter design

Thoughts? Will likely go with the Falken.