Page 1 of 64 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Truck Tire Time

Truck Tire Time

That time of year and need new tires on the land cruiser. Been running Geolandars ATS and won't get a second set.

Torn between another A/T tire and something more road friendly yet good in snow. But, not sure what that tire is. Also, the Kumho Road Venture AT51 is the second highest rated A/T tire on tire rack.com and they can be had locally for $130 a pop. 55k warranty, 30 day trial/return policy, tough to beat.

My driving is 90% city / hwy and do the grind to Tahoe from SF. That is a lot of no-snow mileage, but, when it's storming you need confidence.

Any suggestions or anyone try the Kumho AT?

I've got the Kumhos on my suburban. I'd recommend them to anyone. Reasonable gas mileage, great performance in snow and ice, and not much road noise at all. Only downside is they are kind of mediocre in snotty off road conditions but they aren't really meant for that. The price is definitely right and they have held up well over the 25k I've had them.

Hankook Dynapro ATM is a good tire, snowflake rated, good/great in snow, reasonably quiet for an AT tire and reasonably priced. I like them as much as the Duratracs I had before.

Been happy with the set of General Grabber at2's that I put on the Jeep last year. Got outstanding wear out of a set of Nitto Terragrappler's on the xterra. Didn't love the snow performance of the Hankook Dynapro ATM's on the pathfinder though.
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

Quote Originally Posted by Cruiser View Post
    Been happy with the set of General Grabber at2's that I put on the Jeep last year. Got outstanding wear out of a set of Nitto Terragrappler's on the xterra. Didn't love the snow performance of the Hankook Dynapro ATM's on the pathfinder though.
    Interesting, I don't think I could get my truck to lose traction with the Dynapros unless it was icy or I jam on the brakes.

I had good luck with Dynapros and got a lot of miles out of them, commuted Teton Pass with them and 4WD and was generally happy until they wore way down. Have a dedicated snow now and there's no comparison, but the did the job.

I was reading about all weather tires (not all season) but they seem pretty much oriented in sizes for cars. Anyone have luck with one of those in an 18"? Considering my city/hwy mileage I was hoping their might be a good snow performer in an highway/all season tire. Best I have found is the Michelin Defender LTX MS, but its >$200/tire.

I just bought a set of these Nokian Rotiiva AT Tires so don't know how they hold up but seemed like a relatively smoking deal on truck tires. http://www.tiresbyweb.com/p-11098-no...-at-tires.aspx

I bought them through Point S Tires (used to be Tire Factory) and paid $149 each, $746 out the door with Washington Sales tax for a 275/60 R 20 This tire has the snowflake symbol but only a 40,000 mile warranty. I think they released an updated version of the tire and are closing out last years.
    Last edited by Bronco; 11-10-2016 at 01:23 PM.

I've have Duratracs on my truck now and had Dynapro ATM's before that. Would highly recommend either. For the OP's use, I'd probably go Dynapro. They are quieter on road and usually a little cheaper. The Duratrac is better off road and in deep untracked snow. Performance is equal on packed/plowed/icy roads.

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    I've have Duratracs on my truck now and had Dynapro ATM's before that. Would highly recommend either. For the OP's use, I'd probably go Dynapro. They are quieter on road and usually a little cheaper. The Duratrac is better off road and in deep untracked snow. Performance is equal on packed/plowed/icy roads.
    This mirrors my experience. Daily drive from dry/packed snow/ice/fresh snow on the commute to the ski hill.

Quote Originally Posted by AaronWright View Post
    This mirrors my experience. Daily drive from dry/packed snow/ice/fresh snow on the commute to the ski hill.
    3rded. I like the Duratrac but would put in the camp of light mud tire that isn't terrible on the highway and good in snow.

Anybody compare dedicated snow tires (Michelin X-ice, Blizzak DM2) with Goodyear duratrac? Contemplating swapping my Stock GY Wranglers for full-time duratracs vs. running dedicated winter tires 5 months out of the year.

Quote Originally Posted by Huskydoc View Post
    Anybody compare dedicated snow tires (Michelin X-ice, Blizzak DM2) with Goodyear duratrac? Contemplating swapping my Stock GY Wranglers for full-time duratracs vs. running dedicated winter tires 5 months out of the year.
    Dynapros would be better for that use in WA.

Quote Originally Posted by Huskydoc View Post
    I've been running duratracs on my truck, they have been great so far. They will do better in mud and sloppy snow than the dedicated snow tires but not as good on ice.

The only truck All Weather Tire is the Cooper AT/W.

They seem to get very good reviews. Snow performance should be better than A/S tires, likely at the expense of treadwear.

For 18" tires I think under $200 per tire for something quality will be tough.

Good discussion / overview here of the Duratrac and tires that are now trying to mimic its success: http://forum.pugski.com/threads/hybr...ter-tire.2889/

I've had the much lauded Cooper AT3 -- great highway and snow tire. Although it doesn't have very beefy sidewalls for harsher off-road conditions. I would seriously consider Coopers new ATW if I could find them in my size at a reasonable price. Great looking tire.

Recently got a pair of Falken AT3W from DiscountTire for super cheap for the van. Aggressive AT tire with 3 peak mountain snowflake rating (3PMSF). Only a few hundred miles on them but they roll very well on the highway, mild noise for aggressiveness of the tire, and nice compliant ride. But they do seem to run a bit bigger than tires in the same nominal size. I like that they come with a 55k treadlife warranty too, something most ATs don't have. Looking forward to how they do in snow if we ever get some in CO.

Quote Originally Posted by The Tortoise View Post
    The only truck All Weather Tire is the Cooper AT/W.
    What do you mean by this? There is no official rating for "All Weather" -- its just advertising speak. There are M+S (design based) and 3PMSF (performance based) specifications -- and lots of truck tires with both ratings.

Sure there is.

Granted there's some marketing fluff but these are essentially A/S tires that have a softer tread compound and/or more siping allowing them to be receive the severe snow rating (Snowflake on the sidewall).

M+S is also advertising speak.

Nokian created this category with their WR series of tires. For a lot of people they make sense.

http://us.coopertire.com/Tires/Light...erer-A-TW.aspx

and

http://tires.tirerack.com/tires/All%...th%20Snowflake

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    Recently got a pair of Falken AT3W from DiscountTire for super cheap for the van.
    Report back. The old Wild Peak was a total piece of shit. The tread design of that new one does look much better so I'm curious what you think.

Quote Originally Posted by AaronWright View Post
    Interesting, I don't think I could get my truck to lose traction with the Dynapros unless it was icy or I jam on the brakes.
    Yeah, it's funny because so many other folks really dig them. I didn't have them on the truck very long because we ended up selling it. But the rubber always felt kind of stiff and slick to me in cold snow (maybe they needed some more miles to break in a bit?). Odd considering all the good siping they have, but that was my experience after 1 full winter with them.
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!

Quote Originally Posted by Cruiser View Post
    Had these previously on a Ford for 20k and a set now on a Tacoma for 30k.

The ones on the Tacoma have been impossible to keep balanced. I think in fact one tire has some kind of manufacturing problem that causes it.

They've done great in snow and off road.

Going to change them out before end of month they are stating to get squirrely in the wet even though plenty of tread depth - just a case of having worn through the softer tread rubber probably?

The Hankooks and Kumhos look like an interesting option. snowflake rated AT option
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by The Tortoise View Post
    Sure there is.

These are essentially A/S tires that softer tread and/or more siping that allows them to be receive the severe snow rating(Snowflake on the sidewall).

M+S is meaningless.

Nokian created this category with their WR series of tires. For a lot of people they make sense.

http://us.coopertire.com/Tires/Light...erer-A-TW.aspx
    So the specification is a truck tire with a snowflake rating? And less aggressive tread? There are lots of truck tires with softer compounds, siping and a 3PMSF rating.

I've seen the ATWs and others in person and they aren't way less aggressive (still based on an AT tire) than many others in the category. Perhaps the right choice for OP, doesn't mean that there aren't comparable performing tires out there.

M+S isn't meaningless. It is a very specific design specification that many people mis-interpret to mean "snow worthy".

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    Report back. The old Wild Peak was a total piece of shit. The tread design of that new one does look much better so I'm curious what you think.
    They got rave reviews on a lot of forums this spring and summer which lead me to try them out. Esp at <$400 mounted and balanced. New silica based compound is quite soft which should make them way better in the winter than previous versions along with the new tread. Totally new tire than the old series -- they really should've renamed them.

Will report after doing lots of donuts in Jones/Berthoud parking lots.

Falken Rocky Mountain's were the worst set of truck tires I've ever owned. Shitty in all conditions...

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    So the specification is a truck tire with a snowflake rating? And less aggressive tread?
    Admittedly there isn't a standard but there is very much a category of tire that is a winter rated all season tire. I have also seen the AT/Ws. Siping and tread compound are more important on ice than aggressive tread design and they seemed to have both.

M+S isn't meaningless. It is a very specific design specification that many people mis-interpret to mean "snow worthy".
    M+S is a rating that pertains only to specifics of tread design. I doesn't address tread compound or capabilities in mud and snow. For example, I had a set of these on a Mazda and they were terrible in mud and dangerous in the snow (I run winter tires)

Name:  toyo_proxes4_lg_super.jpg
Views: 7704
Size:  88.2 KB

Regardless, if I were the OP I would look for an A/S tire with the severe snow rating.