Page 39 of 64 FirstFirst ... 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 ... LastLast

Thread: Truck Tire Time

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    My last two tires have been the Hankook Dynapro ATM and before that Cooper Discoverer AT3. I thought the Coopers were a little better.

Here is Tirerack's list: https://www.tirerack.com/tires/surve....jsp?type=ORAT

For my next tire, I'd probably just pick the cheapest one in the top ten, which would be the Yoko GO15's it looks like.
    My work truck has the Hankook Dynapros on it. They were good enough for all year usage in Aspen that I put them on my 4Runner for the warmer months. I have only one summer on them, and they were so much nicer on pavement than the super noisy Mickey Thompson MTZ tires I took off.

I have the Dynapro ATM on my Sequoia and have been generally happy with them.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    I have the Dynapro ATM on my Sequoia and have been generally happy with them.
    Yeah, they've been good for me, it just seems like I may have gotten a little better tread like out of the Coopers. But I didn't write down mileage or anything, so no data to back that up.

I'm sitting here trying to decide if I'm ready to switch out snow tires, sure seems like spring. But I could see myself white knuckled driving Teton pass in April and wishing I had them.

Nitto ridge grappler. Just ran them all winter and left my studded duratracs in the barn. The duratracs used to be good. Like 3 years ago. And then when the demand increased the quality went right to shit on the e rated tires. Two guys I know, one with a ram 2500 and one with a f-250 just got given their second sets because the tires were smoked after 15k.

I’m really happy with the ridge grappler. It’s quiet. It’s smooth. It’s good in the snow and mud. They are pricy but worth every penny. I have 25k on them and they will definitely go another 20-25.

I went with the General grabber lt's . Mid range in price. Nicely siped for all season with sidewall lug protection. Mechanic at work recommended them. His lasted really well. Said his friend drove from BC to Cali and back and they showed little wear. Good warrantee as well.
    285/65/18 on my 08 tundra. I was overdue for some new shoes. I could feel the flex in my old studded winters. These feel solid. 10 ply should work well for a camper

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

Truck Tire Time

I’m on the verge of retiring my Falken Wildpeak AT3W 275 /55R20 117T XL on my 2006 F150 King Ranch 4x4... currently have 44K on them and am at 5-6/32” on each corner. Great tires. Still reasonably quiet. A lot of highway driving - 160 mile RT twice a week for work. Also towed a boat 22’ I/O boat last summer through Parley’s often. Snow and ice were great for the first 35k and still decent now - getting me through the remainder of winter up and down LCC and then I’m moving to the GY Duratrac. Rebuilt the whole front end suspension about 15k ago and slapped a 2.5” leveling kit on the front. Could use an add-a-leaf now that I’m towing more to bring some rake back.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	61989735937__3C9CD124-E114-4DB3-92FE-604234F1CC15.JPG 
Views:	81 
Size:	192.0 KB 
ID:	368425

Got me through this mess yesterday coming down LCC when the bus didn’t have chains on...

Name:	IMG_2397.JPG 
Views:	93 
Size:	517.9 KB 
ID:	368426

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by OldSchool1080s View Post
    I’m on the verge of retiring my Falken Wildpeak AT3W 275 /55R20 117T XL on my 2006 F150 King Ranch 4x4... currently have 44K on them and am at 5-6/32” on each corner. Great tires. Still reasonably quiet. A lot of highway driving - 160 mile RT twice a week for work. Also towed a boat 22’ I/O boat last summer through Parley’s often. Snow and ice were great for the first 35k and still decent now - getting me through the remainder of winter up and down LCC and then I’m moving to the GY Duratrac. Rebuilt the whole front end suspension about 15k ago and slapped a 2.5” leveling kit on the front. Could use an add-a-leaf now that I’m towing more to bring some rake back.

Name:	61989735937__3C9CD124-E114-4DB3-92FE-604234F1CC15.JPG 
Views:	81 
Size:	192.0 KB 
ID:	368425

Got me through this mess yesterday coming down LCC when the bus didn’t have chains on...

Name:	IMG_2397.JPG 
Views:	93 
Size:	517.9 KB 
ID:	368426

Timbrens work pretty sweet

Anybody run BFG AT K/O's then Toyo's equivalent or vice versa? Seems to be a little cheaper but trying to get an idea of tread life. My last set lasted me 60k mounted to a Wrangler...

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    My last two tires have been the Hankook Dynapro ATM and before that Cooper Discoverer AT3. I thought the Coopers were a little better.

Here is Tirerack's list: https://www.tirerack.com/tires/surve....jsp?type=ORAT

For my next tire, I'd probably just pick the cheapest one in the top ten, which would be the Yoko GO15's it looks like.
    I had a problem in the fleet with the AT3's slinging lugs off in the heat of the summer. Never again. We switched to Dynapro ATM's and haven't had any problems. I even put them on my personal vehicles. It's a great tire. After that experience I don't think I'd go back to Coopers.

I went with the Toyo Open Country AT3. Increasing the size and the aggressive side lugs make my truck look bad ass.

I sure hope they live up to the reviews.

Quote Originally Posted by Peruvian View Post
    I went with the Toyo Open Country AT3. Increasing the size and the aggressive side lugs make my truck look bad ass.

I sure hope they live up to the reviews.
    I’ve got 6k miles on the set I put on my F150 and they have been great for winter conditions. Haven’t had them on anything more rough than a fire road, yet. Happy with the everyday practicality versus winter performance so far.
    In constant pursuit of the perfect slarve...

Just pulled the studded Hakka LT2s off my pickup.

They are all right about 50% wear and half the the studs still.

I have had 3 seasons with them and about 25k miles.

Will the last half wear faster than the first half?

Should I put them on next season knowing that they may not make it through the winter?

Should I try and sell?

I drive to the mountain weekly and have gotten real used to having them in good shape. I was stopped in traffic, on glare hard pack, on a grade, in a corner, with shit wrecking and stuck all around and they were still fine just a couple weeks ago. I know the rubber is still going to be good for a while, but I want all the studs I can get.

Thanks for your input.
    "Let's be careful out there."

I’m taking my snow tires off the 4runner today and putting the summer tires on. I’ve got two sets of rims so the tires stay mounted. The snow tires have two seasons on them and one tire has a super slow leak. Soapy water located the seep on a sidewall. What’s the solution? Any slime style sealants recommended? The tires will stay mounted until they are discarded, so I’m not real worried about the mess inside. Tire balancing would be more of a concern

Quote Originally Posted by Jethro View Post
    I’m taking my snow tires off the 4runner today and putting the summer tires on. I’ve got two sets of rims so the tires stay mounted. The snow tires have two seasons on them and one tire has a super slow leak. Soapy water located the seep on a sidewall. What’s the solution? Any slime style sealants recommended? The tires will stay mounted until they are discarded, so I’m not real worried about the mess inside. Tire balancing would be more of a concern
    Sidewall leaks are not recommended for plugs. Maybe a boot would work but that will take removing the tire from the rim.

Fix a flat is cheap and certainly worth a shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Peruvian View Post
    Sidewall leaks are not recommended for plugs. Maybe a boot would work but that will take removing the tire from the rim.

Fix a flat is cheap and certainly worth a shot.
    The leak is so slow that it seems like a porosity issue more than a puncture needing a plug. I put in air every two weeks or so. I’m leaning towards slime or equivalent. I swapped out the tires just now, so that’s a back burner project. No doubt I will be revisiting this in November

Quote Originally Posted by Jethro View Post
    The leak is so slow that it seems like a porosity issue more than a puncture needing a plug. I put in air every two weeks or so. I’m leaning towards slime or equivalent. I swapped out the tires just now, so that’s a back burner project. No doubt I will be revisiting this in November
    Don't the magic goop products rely on the tire rotating to distribute the goo? (and maybe on the heat generated to bake it into place?)

I could be mistaken, but if that's the case, I wouldn't apply the goop until you're ready to drive on it again (I'd also have a plan B in case it didn't work, of course).

Mostly they are intended for tread punctures where centrifugal force pushes it to the inside of the tread. I’d have to slosh it over to the minuscule sidewalk leak and hope air pressure inside pushes it into the hole. I don’t think heat plays a role in sealing it. I’m looking to do this because I’m pretty sure most tire shops won’t touch it. The tires probably have four more seasons, but they are a set. One more replacement tire of a larger diameter probably isn’t happening

Definitely put that tire on the rear. Tire shops wont patch sidewalls for good reason. Tires can give no aign before they self destruct. Also worth considering the tire has expired even before the treads gone. A lot of people will keep their tires too long. Not saying your tires are expired but worth considering

Good point about the age. Those tires wer e purchased new two seasons ago from a Cooper tire dealer. I think they are not past the expiration date. The tires on my 4x8 utility trailer are the same ones that were in it when I bought it in 2000

Oh yes, better on the utility trailer especially if its a tandem. Just bought new truck tires so i got heavily coached by our fleet mechanic. We seem to go through tires and he has his personal preferences. Also responded to a guy broke down on the highway a week or 2 ago. A smaller cab over flatdexk that had blown a front tire. Pretty sure he dropped a load in his shorts. He was white as a ghost and still freaked out when we got there. Oddly enough he worked for a tire shop and was transporting tires art the time. It almost looked like he had retreads on the front. Major no no no. Surprised a tire shop would do that. Im guessing the driver may have that policy changed after that experience.
    Mechanic was saying in the past he wouldnt touch firestone and the same for the local loggers but theyve apparently turned the corner and have a great truck tire product at a very good price. They put them on the fleet of light duty trucks and he's been seeing them on logging trucks. Michelins on the plow truck drives with good year steering. I couldnt get firestones were i bought my tires but he gave me the approval on the general grabber 10ply lt's. Him and his buddy run those on their pefsonal trucks. In the winter our laws require the tires have the "snowflake" on the sidewall so i wanted that. Theyll be all season tires for me

Quote Originally Posted by Hood26 View Post
    Just pulled the studded Hakka LT2s off my pickup.

They are all right about 50% wear and half the the studs still.

I have had 3 seasons with them and about 25k miles.

Will the last half wear faster than the first half?

Should I put them on next season knowing that they may not make it through the winter?

Should I try and sell?

I drive to the mountain weekly and have gotten real used to having them in good shape. I was stopped in traffic, on glare hard pack, on a grade, in a corner, with shit wrecking and stuck all around and they were still fine just a couple weeks ago. I know the rubber is still going to be good for a while, but I want all the studs I can get.

Thanks for your input.
    Quoting because I'm in a similar boat. 19k on on LT2s that are in the 50-60% wear range after four seasons, with a fair number of studs MIA. I'd love an excuse to upgrade to LT3s (or maybe something else more current), but it's going to be a hard sell at the homestead with tires that are only half-worn. The catch would be that I should be able to recover some value for them if I sell them this fall, which probably won't be the case if I put another season on them.

Anyone with experience as to how LT2s perform in the second half of their life, I'd love to hear it.

Quote Originally Posted by anotherVTskibum View Post
    Quoting because I'm in a similar boat. 19k on on LT2s that are in the 50-60% wear range after four seasons, with a fair number of studs MIA. I'd love an excuse to upgrade to LT3s (or maybe something else more current), but it's going to be a hard sell at the homestead with tires that are only half-worn. The catch would be that I should be able to recover some value for them if I sell them this fall, which probably won't be the case if I put another season on them.

Anyone with experience as to how LT2s perform in the second half of their life, I'd love to hear it.
    4 seasons? craigslist them and move on.

I decided to sell to a co-worker for $200. He used to manage a tire shop and didn’t even bat an eye at the price. He doesn’t drive the trick all that much or to the mountain every weekend, so they should work well for him for a couple seasons. If I didn’t like him, or posted to Craig’s, I would have asked $300.

Now to find some rims to make the winter change over easier.
    "Let's be careful out there."

Quote Originally Posted by Muggydude View Post
    Anyone have experience with both Falken Wildpeak AT3W and BFG KO2?

Trying to decide which tires to put on my van conversion. Need it to wear relatively well on highway, but still provide good traction in ice and snow, and decent on dirt and mild off-road.

Leaning Falken, seems like people who have had both like them more. They’re also ~5 lbs lighter per tire than the KO2’s which will be nice for my (poor) gas mileage.

KO2’s do have more plies in the sidewalls I think, which is a little better for off-road durability

Just started tire shopping for my ProMaster and taking a look at those Falken's, price seems decent compared to other AT tires. We do a fair amount of dirt road driving but nothing super aggressive cuz well it's a Promaster. I've been buying car tires for so long I'm not well versed in the truck world.

I've got winter tires/wheels and just picked up another set of rims that I was going to put my old summer tires on until I looked at them again. 2 of the 4 are just okay so might as well do it right and start fresh.

Going on 3 years and 30,000 miles on my Wildpeak's. Still lots of tread left (I drive like granny) but the compound is getting harder which is to be expected. I could definitely tell this last winter. But I'm a fan, I will pick up another set this fall.