Page 29 of 64 FirstFirst ... 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ... LastLast

Thread: Truck Tire Time

Better fuel economy can only be achieved through lower rolling resistance and lighter weight.

Put another way, mileage is at the expense of traction, and/or load capacity.

Quote Originally Posted by mattig View Post
    Nope... Tundra's just get shitty mileage. If I drove the way I wanted, I routinely got 12mph with BFG Ko2s. Granted, they were an inch wider than stock tires but also 20-30lbs heavier per tire. Fine tire, and one of the two best for all season use with the snowflake symbol (the other being Duratracs, which are noticeably absent from your short-list), but absolutely not in the same league as a dedicated winter tire.

I would run them again, but I would drive 10mph slower on snow/ice.

I would never in a million years run something without the snowflake and I really don't care if anyone's personal experience dictates otherwise or if there's supposedly only some 10% difference in tread compound. Off-camber, decreasing radius corners on icy/snowy mountain passes in a big truck means i don't ever want to even find out where the traction limit is on any given day. With the Ko2s, I found it several times, which is why I ended up slowing down. Never found it with Hakkapeliittas. Added margin of safety is worth much more to me than the price of an extra set of tires or the inconvenience of swapping out every year. Granted, I could drive the all-season tires and just go slower, and I've thought about that, but i want every advantage I can get for emergency braking.
    I've heard the Tundra with the 350 gets shitty milage but with the 4.6 not so bad, a customer told me he never got less than 15 MPG with the smaller engine

Ya slow down, in summer I would drive 10 km over the limit but on snow/ice in winter 10km under the limit, I don't use the cruise control in winter and I've been on Haks only for the last 19 yars

buy extra rims and they will pay for themselves in 2-3 years of tire swaps
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Truck Tire Time

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    I've heard the Tundra with the 350 gets shitty milage
    Can confirm - but just posted to tell you to speak Canadian - it’s a 5.7!

...350? Jeeze!

I forgot eh, I should get you to do my will while i can still remember who I am

and just to clarify it was an american fisherman who told me 15mpg so he was talking about them sissy fucking American gallons not the royal gallons we got up here

Quote Originally Posted by mattig View Post
    Nope... Tundra's just get shitty mileage. If I drove the way I wanted, I routinely got 12mph with BFG Ko2s. Granted, they were an inch wider than stock tires but also 20-30lbs heavier per tire. Fine tire, and one of the two best for all season use with the snowflake symbol (the other being Duratracs, which are noticeably absent from your short-list), but absolutely not in the same league as a dedicated winter tire.

I would run them again, but I would drive 10mph slower on snow/ice.

I would never in a million years run something without the snowflake and I really don't care if anyone's personal experience dictates otherwise or if there's supposedly only some 10% difference in tread compound. .
    Fair enough. Again, not trying to go to 18mpg by changing all terrains. Definitely will consider having a dedicated set of winters as I have the stock starfish wheels sitting around, just cant pull it off this year.

I'm leaning towards the BFGs, just seems like the best all around bet for a similar cost of competitors.

275/70r18 Hakkapeliitta LT3 on my Tundra. Ultimate winter driving confidence. Never going back to a snowflake-rated AT tire again.

Quote Originally Posted by adrian.bee View Post
    Fair enough. Again, not trying to go to 18mpg by changing all terrains. Definitely will consider having a dedicated set of winters as I have the stock starfish wheels sitting around, just cant pull it off this year.

I'm leaning towards the BFGs, just seems like the best all around bet for a similar cost of competitors.
    you may have different results. i put in a generic aftermarket high flow muffler in my 100-series land cruiser and am getting 2mpg improvement. maybe the exhaust in the tundra is tuned better than the LC.

still happy with falken at3w. i cross or crest snoqualmie pass every weekend this time of year and have seen 2ft to ice to packed ice to slush. i’m in a top heavy 4runner so i take most things slow, but don’t feel i’ve given up much to the blizzaks on my smaller car (though it has shitty awd). mostly compensate speed when grading is off which is smart for me anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by adrian.bee View Post
    Basically read through this entire thread and narrowed it down to a few choices. TIA as I hope to leverage the deep knowledge base here.

1st gen tundra v8, 1" lift, live in Maine 70% commuting 30% shitty roads. Primary goal is to increase MPG while still having slightly aggressive tires and can tow a 2k boat trailer. I am currently on Grabbers with the E rating which I suspect has something to do with my shitty 12 MPG. Not expecting to increase a significant amount but anything helps.

I've got it down to the following.
    -BFG Ko2s
    -Cooper AT3
    -Grabber ATx

Local discount tire has priced these out and all within $40, so what should I do? TIA!

(I saw dynapros on a taco this morning, might have those priced out as well.)
    We just bought a Sierra 1500 and I did the same, plus talked with some OCD friends and read a bunch of the comparisons on Tire Rack. This one got to what I wanted:

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests...y.jsp?ttid=249

FWIW I went with the Yokos.

Quote Originally Posted by jackattack View Post
    275/70r18 Hakkapeliitta LT3 on my Tundra. Ultimate winter driving confidence. Never going back to a snowflake-rated AT tire again.
    That’s the plan for next winter. I’ve been OK with snowflake-rated tires on low clearance AWD vehicles, but not willing to do that with a truck.

looking at this test: https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests...y.jsp?ttid=249

makes me curious how load index versus "LT" and "P-metric" versus tire wear versus ride quality. that test used LT-rated BFG's with a lower load index than all the other tires (which were p metric).

just scanned both discount tire & tire rack...not seeing those (it might be my locale...i do see them on nokian's site)

how did you source them?

Ordered them in January through my local DT. I'm sure they'll become available again in the fall.

Agreed. Nokian Hak LT-3's are the best. Have them on my Taco. Two previous sets were LT-2's till they got discontinued and replaced by the LT-3.

Quote Originally Posted by evasive_MT View Post
    We just bought a Sierra 1500 and I did the same, plus talked with some OCD friends and read a bunch of the comparisons on Tire Rack. This one got to what I wanted:

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests...y.jsp?ttid=249

FWIW I went with the Yokos.
    Thanks for that link. My F150 is going to need tires in the fall so I've been browsing this thread and elsewhere. Those Yokos look great, though I'm also considering the Goodyear Wrangler UltraTerrain AT: https://www.discounttire.com/buy-tir...ltraterrain-at

Ordered them in January through my local DT. I'm sure they'll become available again in the fall.
    gotcha, thx

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Thanks for that link. My F150 is going to need tires in the fall so I've been browsing this thread and elsewhere. Those Yokos look great, though I'm also considering the Goodyear Wrangler UltraTerrain AT: https://www.discounttire.com/buy-tir...ltraterrain-at
    Have had these on our F150 - went through one set and replaced with same. Surprisingly good winter performance. Very good pavement performance as well.

https://www.michelinman.com/tires/ltx/ltx-a-t-2.html

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Pabst View Post
    Agreed. Nokian Hak LT-3's are the best. Have them on my Taco. Two previous sets were LT-2's till they got discontinued and replaced by the LT-3.
    how did you find them for retaining the studs, IME I always lose them eventualy

the last set of haks on my Ranger had square studs these LT3's on the tacoma have triangular SS studs

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    Have had these on our F150 - went through one set and replaced with same. Surprisingly good winter performance. Very good pavement performance as well.

https://www.michelinman.com/tires/ltx/ltx-a-t-2.html
    Not a 3PMSF tire as far as I can tell. Solid-looking tire, but the Yokos and Goodyears are 3PMSF-rated and a little less expensive.

I ended up with LT BFG KO2 on my tundra after suffering a blowout at65mph of a P rated Bridgestone. The ko2 is a far superior tire albeit noisy and I think also contributes to a slight mpg hit. But I’m no longer worried of destroying the tire on the highway or the desert and I can run them longer in the fall since they’ve got the snowflake.

I do run blizzak on the truck in the winter but they see way less miles during snow season as I roll the Subaru up and down the canyons. I think I’m on my 4th winter w these blizzak and they are at 9/32.

The snow tires grip FAR better on snow, ice than the ko2, not even close.

Quote Originally Posted by ::: ::: View Post
    just scanned both discount tire & tire rack...not seeing those (it might be my locale...i do see them on nokian's site)

how did you source them?
    I have the NOKIAN HAKKAPELIITTA R2 SUV on my Sequoia last three season and really like them . Not quite as good pure slick performance as the super squishy studless I've used in past, but the tread wear has been really good and I think they grip snow/slick great. Got them locally at Tualatin Tire Pros Automotive Repair. As a Nokian dealer they could likely source the LT3s for you

I have the Goodyear Wrangler UltraTerrain AT as my summer tire. Has been awesome so far. Much better ride than my previous E rated tires. Good snow traction when I have used them in shoulder season but they are fairly new

Quote Originally Posted by klauss View Post
    I have the Goodyear Wrangler UltraTerrain AT as my summer tire. Has been awesome so far. Much better ride than my previous E rated tires. Good snow traction when I have used them in shoulder season but they are fairly new
    Sweet, thanks.

Not a 3PMSF tire as far as I can tell. Solid-looking tire, but the Yokos and Goodyears are 3PMSF-rated and a little less expensive.
    Yeah - they def are not 3PMSF. And on actual ice they are noticeably less capable than a proper snow tire.

They do last a LOT longer than I suspect a 3PMSF would given all-season use. Apparently trucks are pretty hard on tires. Who knew?

Hak LT3 is 10ply so it may ride rough but should be tougher

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    Yeah - they def are not 3PMSF. And on actual ice they are noticeably less capable than a proper snow tire.

They do last a LOT longer than I suspect a 3PMSF would given all-season use. Apparently trucks are pretty hard on tires. Who knew?
    You are almost certainly correct regarding wear (the treadwear ratings are the same, but I'm skeptical). I still think it's worth it since our shoulder seasons are super long and overlap with desert season. Also, while rarely enforced, our canyon traction laws now require 3PMSF.