Page 11 of 64 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast

Thread: Truck Tire Time

Quote Originally Posted by anotherVTskibum View Post
    Anyone have any experience with the Radar Renegade AT/5, particularly in an LT (E-rated) variant? I ended up with a set on my F-150 as a result of some miscommunication with/at the tire shop (I thought I had ordered the Falken Wildpeak AT/3, but that's not what I ended up with). They do fine on pavement; handling is actually less impacted versus the stock Goodyear Wrangler HT than I expected. I haven't had them off pavement yet, but given the tread pattern, I suspect they'll be just fine for my gravel-road use and the occasional forest-service road (the reason I went with an LT-rated AT tire; I cut the sidewall on one of the stock tires on my first such drive).

I was originally planning to do what I've done since my first car and run dedicated winter tires October - April, but these do have a mountain-and-snowflake rating and some siping. I'm sure they'll be fine in deeper snow with the AT pattern, but I'm wondering about packed snow and ice.
    Aren't those just M+S tires? Do they actually have this symbol on them?

Quote Originally Posted by klauss View Post
    Aren't those just M+S tires? Do they actually have this symbol on them?
    Yup. Odd that it's not listed on the website as a feature; I don't know if that's a per-size differentiation or something, but the sidewall has the snowflake + mountain symbol:

If they didn't, I wouldn't even be asking the question.

Anyone have experience with 255/85 r16's of any variety on 90-02 toyota trucks? Considering the cooper st maxx or the maxxis bighorns

I have the maxxis bighorns on my '98 4Runner, but not in 255/85R16. I decided the extra height wasn't worth the slight power/mpg loss. I know 2 guys who run 235/85r16 on their 90s stock height Toyota pickups and they love the size. I think you'd need a lift to fit the 255s.

I'm very happy with the tires. I had them siped which made them noticably less scary on packed snow/ice.
    ::.:..::::.::.:.::..::.

The ST Maxx is a little harder rubber....don't know how they'd do in/on the snow/crud/ice. GT's Altimax Arctic is decent and so is the AT2. Yeah a smaller lugged & siped Bighorn might have potential. Michelin Ice(or some name?) has had some good reviews... Gonna be getting back in with somekind of truck/close-to-truck within the next month.

I ran st maxxs on my 06 double cab in a 10ply/E in 265/75/16, they were heavy right off the batt, but never let me down. They cupped really bad and got to the point where they were so loud I had to switch them out around 50,000 I think. Sware the allignment was good. For Idaho living, they were good, just wish i'd had a 3/4 ton to pish them along...subsequently put a lot mellower (dean backcountry), FWIW-

Another vote for ST Maxx here. My brother is on second set with new Motometal forged wheels at the same time. Had good mileage on General Grabber AT as well.

I'll have to upgrade the wheels once they wear out. Not very off roadie, but damn the price was right. I was due for some new tires, looking at neighborhood of $700 for 4. Took a poke at KSL classifieds, and they came through again.

Lots of dudes round here immediately take their tacos for new rims the minute they roll off the lot. This means big used market for Toyota stock tires. Got a slight upgrade to a 17" (from 16"). Toyo a30 tires (pretty much a light truck all season) 17" rims 4k miles on tires. $500 for the set, discount tire stop for mount, balance, and tpms sensor swap $65. I think I got a good deal.

Sent from my XT1650 using TGR Forums mobile app

So here's a question for old pros:

GY Duratracs. Awesome tire, but I want more. Set in my mind to add studs to tires with < 1000 miles on them before braving interior BC this winter. Still have the little new-tire whiskers (or whatever they're called).

So I head to the tire place.

GY sales dingus: "You can't stud tires that've touched the road because *BS,BS,BS,etc*. You need a new set if you want them studded."

WTF? This can't be true...

Quote Originally Posted by Huskydoc View Post
    So here's a question for old pros:

GY Duratracs. Awesome tire, but I want more. Set in my mind to add studs to tires with < 1000 miles on them before braving interior BC this winter. Still have the little new-tire whiskers (or whatever they're called).

So I head to the tire place.

GY sales dingus: "You can't stud tires that've touched the road because *BS,BS,BS,etc*. You need a new set if you want them studded."

WTF? This can't be true...
    They won't do it. They use a pneumatic stud gun and they are worried they'll drive a rock in. (ie they want you to buy new tires..) I'd find a little tire shop shade tree mechanic type if you really feel like you need studs. They'll do it.

I've run Duratracs on 3 vehicles on the East Slope of the Cascades. We get lots of snow and also a lot of mixed precip, freezing rain, slush, sleet, black ice, etc. I've so far not wanted to have studs. But ymmv.

Anyone have thoughts on the Nitto Terra Grappler G2? I was quoted a nice price on a set of 5 and I’m now curious. Seems people love or hate ....but that’s with all tires.

Quote Originally Posted by anotherVTskibum View Post
    Anyone have any experience with the Radar Renegade AT/5, particularly in an LT (E-rated) variant? I ended up with a set on my F-150 as a result of some miscommunication with/at the tire shop (I thought I had ordered the Falken Wildpeak AT/3, but that's not what I ended up with). They do fine on pavement; handling is actually less impacted versus the stock Goodyear Wrangler HT than I expected. I haven't had them off pavement yet, but given the tread pattern, I suspect they'll be just fine for my gravel-road use and the occasional forest-service road (the reason I went with an LT-rated AT tire; I cut the sidewall on one of the stock tires on my first such drive).

I was originally planning to do what I've done since my first car and run dedicated winter tires October - April, but these do have a mountain-and-snowflake rating and some siping. I'm sure they'll be fine in deeper snow with the AT pattern, but I'm wondering about packed snow and ice.
    In case anyone is wondering, they do fine in soft snow, and they suck on packed snow and ice. I've got a set of studded Hakka LT2s going on as soon as I get an appointment.

Quote Originally Posted by jmars View Post
    Anyone have thoughts on the Nitto Terra Grappler G2? I was quoted a nice price on a set of 5 and I’m now curious. Seems people love or hate ....but that’s with all tires.

One guy here have them and he's very impressed. He just got them installed about two weeks now so it is too early to judge the overall performance.

Just pulled a set off my 4 Runner and my 0.02

1. They wear well--60K well
    2. They look cool but are noisy after 10K, not GY Duratrak noisy, but noisy
    3. Not a good snow tire
    4. Not a good dry stopping tire
    5. Cheap compared to BF Goodrich KO 2
    6. Never could get mine balanced properly--always a shake.
    7. Off road traction--ok but not great. Never had a puncture so they're pretty tough.

BFG better IMO on and off road. But if $ is a consideration they're ok.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Thanks TR. pricing was a driver but not at the cost of shit performance. Bummed to hear they were so bad in the snow. I know they are not a snowflake rated tire but I thought they’d be ok.

Thanks TR. pricing was a driver but not at the cost of shit performance. Bummed to hear they were so bad in the snow. I know they are not a snowflake rated tire but I thought they’d be ok.
    Tolerable with 4WD on, but never confident of them in snow. I think there are better AT tires out there. The BFG is still the best all round IMO. But I've heard the Falken Wildpeak ATW is a come upper, good in snow too, but on the heavy side as tires go, so mileage takes a bit of hit. Duratrak is best in snow but once they start to wear get really loud. I've never run the Falkens so can only speak to Nitto, BFG and Duratrak, but I think they are worth a look as they are roughly same price as Nittos.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Cooper ATW, as previously stated.

Next time we may go KO2 simply due to Costco availability (so cheaper than Cooper), but depends on wife because it's her DD while I drive the commuter shitbox.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

I’m running into size issues with the KO2....that’s my tire of choice

I just replaced Grabber AT2s on my Tacoma with the new Goodyear Trailrunner AT.

The AT2s had a lot of tread depth at 44k but must have worn down to the harder rubber because they were slipperier than hell on just wet roads.

Wanted something a little lighter duty and better riding but still snowflaked. They've done great on a couple of really nasty snowy drives and just transformed how the truck rides.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by LightRanger View Post
    Cooper ATW, as previously stated.

Next time we may go KO2 simply due to Costco availability (so cheaper than Cooper), but depends on wife because it's her DD while I drive the commuter shitbox.
    Based on the recommendations in this thread I ordered a set of ATWs for the 4Runner. Looking forward to trying them out this winter.

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    I just replaced Grabber AT2s on my Tacoma with the new Goodyear Trailrunner AT.

The AT2s had a lot of tread depth at 44k but must have worn down to the harder rubber because they were slipperier than hell on just wet roads.

Wanted something a little lighter duty and better riding but still snowflaked. They've done great on a couple of really nasty snowy drives and just transformed how the truck rides.
    I have the Grabbers and feel the same, lots of tread but traction has suffered. Let me know how those work out for you.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Age of the tire can also affect the rubber performance.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using TGR Forums mobile app

We run them at work on 4 or 5 deferent pickups, mostly f250. They're good tires for dirt and high speed mud.

But not real happy with them in snow, not enough sipping, or not the right sipping. Would rather have the Exo Grappler.

Any experience with the falken at3w to compare? I’m thinking that’s our next set on my f150 for generally Highway and commuting plus weekend ski trips out of Seattle.

Quote Originally Posted by steved View Post
    The ST Maxx is a little harder rubber....don't know how they'd do in/on the snow/crud/ice.
    I've running these on my little Toyota pickup (pre tco) for a few years, and they always performed well in winter conditions, even at highway speed (i.e., when I'm driving mach looney in order to pass SoCal gapers scared of snow and ice while on the way to Mammoth). Also experiencing some cupping, which the shop attributes to my shocks wearing out (Bilsteins with less than 100K, so I'm skepticle). These tires are heavy, and they run bigger than advertised.
    Daniel Ortega eats here.