Page 16 of 64 FirstFirst ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... LastLast

Thread: Truck Tire Time

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    Also a good and useful suggestion!

(depending on how high you are currently)
    I’m not high enough.

Quote Originally Posted by rod9301 View Post
    I don't know how to cleanquuy They're are courier kids are you

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using TGR Forums mobile app
    That’s an old school technique! Think it’ll work in this situation?

Rod has my favorite autofilled posts.

But i really appreciated the suggestion. I have a tire guy that can likely get me the used tire in right spec.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using TGR Forums mobile app

Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk had firestone destination at tires on it stock. Got 55k on them, did great in everything from Colorado and Chicago could throw at it. Nothing wild but have a nice off-road look too. When the coopers on our f150 are dead I’ll replace them with the Firestones

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    Rod has my favorite autofilled posts.

But i really appreciated the suggestion. I have a tire guy that can likely get me the used tire in right spec.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using TGR Forums mobile app
    This was the ultimate autofill. I didn't even look at the post, much less answered it.
    Maybe during my mountain bike ride on fast Eddie's. Phone in my pocket, mind of its own.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using TGR Forums mobile app

Just ordered a set of the Falken's. Discount Tire price matched Walmart's price, so about $147/tire.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

And the Falkens seem to be on national backorder, so not sure what to do now, probably the Michelins? Hope for a rebate?
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Truck Tire Time

I gave into the Les Schwab guy pushing the "new" snowflake rated Open Range AT tire over the Toyo AT II this weekend. I'll report back once I get it in some snow and dirt. Kind of annoyed I let him talk me out of the better looking Toyo but know the snow rated tire will ultimately be better for our use the next couple of winters.

That being said, anyone looking for a good deal on my old 20" 6 lug wheels for 2009-2014 F-150? Includes some Nokian Rotiva AT at 60% tread (according to the tread depth indicator). Probably fine for this coming winter and also snowflake rated. Seattle area.
    Last edited by Bronco; 09-04-2018 at 09:19 PM.

Snowflake rating=softer compound. Stickier when cold, wears faster when it’s warm. Pick your poison.

Quote Originally Posted by Bronco View Post
    That being said, anyone looking for a good deal on my old 20" 6 lug wheels for 2009-2014 F-150? Includes some Nokian Rotiva AT at 60% tread (according to the tread depth indicator). Probably fine for this coming winter and also snowflake rated. Seattle area.
    FYI, six-lug wheels are the same centerbore and bolt pattern on current-generation truck as well (i.e. any six-lug F-150 uses the same lug/centerbore), so those wheels would be fine up through a 2019 F-150. The thread pitch on the lugs / lug nuts changed with the 13th-generation trucks in 2015, but the spacing and centerbore are the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    And the Falkens seem to be on national backorder, so not sure what to do now, probably the Michelins?
    It seems like there are quite a few snowflake-rated options similar to the Falkens that you might consider. The Cooper ATW, Dynapro ATM, and Pirelli Scorpion All-Terrain Plus all seem similar without being E-rated like the BFG K02.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

And the Falkens seem to be on national backorder, so not sure what to do now, probably the Michelins? Hope for a rebate?
    Perhaps you should buy the BFGs and get on with your life.

Quote Originally Posted by Conundrum View Post
    Snowflake rating=softer compound. Stickier when cold, wears faster when it’s warm. Pick your poison.
    I don't think that's necessarily accurate - IIRC the 3PMSF rating had to do with the tire ability in snow, not based on tread compound. However, all winter tires will have the 3PMSF mark and have soft compounds.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

The rating isn't based on the compound, you are correct. But, AT tires with the snowflake don't tend to last as long as those without in my experience. I think it's that the manufacturer uses softer material to perform better in the cold.

Me, I have Cooper STT Pros siped on my LC and Cooper AT3s on my pickup and van. I run the tires all year and have no issues on snow and ice.

I'm sure there are a lot of good tires out there now but I've been using Coopers for the last 10 years or so and why change something that works well for the sake of changing.

Quote Originally Posted by anotherVTskibum View Post
    FYI, six-lug wheels are the same centerbore and bolt pattern on current-generation truck as well (i.e. any six-lug F-150 uses the same lug/centerbore), so those wheels would be fine up through a 2019 F-150. The thread pitch on the lugs / lug nuts changed with the 13th-generation trucks in 2015, but the spacing and centerbore are the same.
    Good to know, thanks!

Bring on the snow!

Quote Originally Posted by Conundrum View Post
    I'm sure there are a lot of good tires out there now but I've been using Coopers for the last 10 years or so and why change something that works well for the sake of changing.
    Oh I don't know. Progress maybe? Innovation? No reason, really

Looking for reccs. This is my first time buying tires for my own car.

2015 RAV4 AWD LE: 225/65 R17, 102H

About to hit 35k on the original tires. Front currently 4/32, rear 3/32. Looking to buy a set of [edit] all-weather. Most of my driving is on city streets. Occasional highway driving, usually to get to the mountains on the weekends (which includes rough forest service roads to trailheads in the spring/summer/fall). Not looking to buy separate winter and summer sets. Local to Portland.

Also, do you recommend buying local at a place like Les Schwab or buying online at Tirerack?

Thanks.
    Last edited by orange; 09-05-2018 at 11:57 AM.

A RAV 4 isn't a truck. I like the Geolandar G015, which comes in a 225/65R17 but YMMV. I think an all-weather tire makes sense if you want decent snow performance. Here's a list of them (though a few options are missing):

Quote Originally Posted by klauss View Post
    Here's a decent list of All-Weather Tires compiled by C&D (doesn't appear to show a bunch of brands though e.g. Cooper, Falken, Conti, Pirelli)

3PMSF passenger-car tires:
    Goodyear Assurance WeatherReady
    Hankook Kinergy 4S (Canada only)
    Michelin CrossClimate + (limited sizes available)
    Nokian WRG3
    Toyo Celsius
    Vredestein Quatrac5
    3PMSF Light-Truck (LT) tires:
    BFGoodrich Advantage T/A Sport LT
    BFGoodrich All-Terrain T/A KO2
    BFGoodrich Commercial T/A Traction
    General Grabber AT2 (select sizes)
    Goodyear Wrangler All-Terrain Adventure with Kevlar (select sizes)
    Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac (all but one size)
    Goodyear Wrangler SilentArmor
    Goodyear Wrangler TrailRunner AT (select sizes)
    Hankook Dynapro AT-M
    Kumho Road Venture AT51
    Nitto Exo Grappler AWT
    Nokian Rotiiva AT
    Nokian Rotiiva AT Plus
    Nokian WR C3
    Nokian WRG3 SUV
    Toyo Celsius CUV
    Yokohama Geolandar A/T G015
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Quote Originally Posted by auvgeek View Post
    A RAV 4 isn't a truck. I like the Geolandar G015, which comes in a 225/65R17 but YMMV. I think an all-weather tire makes sense if you want decent snow performance. Here's a list of them (though a few options are missing):
    I agree. Just trying keeping tire chat in a tire thread. Thanks for the list and rec.

Wasn't being snarky -- I was mainly justifying my qualifications to respond in the truck thread because I don't own a truck either.

photos

Quote Originally Posted by margotron View Post
    Oh I don't know. Progress maybe? Innovation? No reason, really
    That is why I buy the latest version of a model especially when my favorite is discontinued such as the STT is no longer so I went with an STT Pro this go around. And thank you for your useless comment.

So, now considering the Dynapro ATM RF10 (lot of fucking letters), based on other stuff in this thread.

Can someone explain the difference between this https://www.discounttire.com/buy-tir...m-rf10/p/19481 and this https://www.discounttire.com/buy-tir...-rf10/p/10824? Other than $34? Seems like one has a "P" in front of it, which I know to mean it's a P-metric tire (not that I understand what that is), and I guess the other isn't, but is that a real difference that explains the price difference?

My current tire size doesn't have the P, FWIW. And I'd love a tire for $130.

So, now considering the Dynapro ATM RF10 (lot of fucking letters), based on other stuff in this thread.

Can someone explain the difference between this https://www.discounttire.com/buy-tir...m-rf10/p/19481 and this https://www.discounttire.com/buy-tir...-rf10/p/10824? Other than $34? Seems like one has a "P" in front of it, which I know to mean it's a P-metric tire (not that I understand what that is), and I guess the other isn't, but is that a real difference that explains the price difference?

My current tire size doesn't have the P, FWIW. And I'd love a tire for $130.
    They're both standard load tires (the "SL" designation), which means they are both P-rated tires (P for passenger). No idea why one does not have the P designation. AFAIK if the tire has a SL or XL designation, it has to be a P-rated tire; I don't think that mark is used on any LT ("Light Truck") tire, which, instead, would most commonly have a C, D, or E rating.
    https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiret....jsp?techid=55

The "OWL" means outlined white letters on one side -- if you don't like that look, put the letters facing inwards -- it is a symmetrical tread design, so it doesn't matter.

The $130 one has a 112T rating; the $170 one has a 110T rating. That is the load index rating. The higher the number, the higher the carrying capacity:
    https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiret...180905211630:s

tl;dr -- buy the $130 one and be happy.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

According to Discount Tire, the $164 version is a discontinued model that they leave on their website (not sure why it can't just say "discontinued" and not "order now, available in 3-5 days". In any case, the $130 tire is the one that is available. Given that the Dynapro ATM gets some good reviews in this thread, and given that it is pretty dirt cheap for a tire of that size (265/65/17), AND has the snowflake symbol, I went for it. Ordered and will be on the truck in the next few days.

Out the door for about $700, so can't complain (and have a $50 rebate coming). Nice to have some new shoes on.

Price went up to $142 but I got the $130 price.