Page 18 of 64 FirstFirst ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ... LastLast

Thread: Truck Tire Time

Quote Originally Posted by Gunder View Post
    . I ran the Geolandar's for one year... .and I couldnt get rid of them fast enough. Super soft on the edges and cornered like shit. Was ok on wet pavement, snow traction was what is to be expected of an all season tire. You should be able to find a duratrack in a close enough size to fit... or beter yet get some Nokian's.
    X2 - mine cupped so bad after 1 year. I sold them back to discount tire just to get out of them. Currently run Duratracs on my 4Runner and have been happy with KO2’s and Grabber’s here in MN.
    "Not all who wander are lost"

Nokian LT2, unstudded. End of story.

Quote Originally Posted by homebrewd View Post
    Currently looking at GY Duratracs, Cooper Discoverer, Hankook Dynapro ATMs, BFGoodrich AllTerrains, and the wildcard tires are the Nitto Terra Grapplers.
    I just got the Hankooks so can't really comment on their performance yet (they seem fine, and did really well during the 4 wheeling on the White Rim, but haven't seen snow yet). They were really affordable compared to some of the other options, and have the winter snowflake, FWIW.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Gunder View Post
    . I ran the Geolandar's for one year... .and I couldnt get rid of them fast enough. Super soft on the edges and cornered like shit. Was ok on wet pavement, snow traction was what is to be expected of an all season tire. You should be able to find a duratrack in a close enough size to fit... or beter yet get some Nokian's.
    Thanks, good info!

Duratracks don't fit in nearby sizes IMO, and I didn't want winter tires for it. Some good all-season that can handle some desert driving would be ideal, not sure wtf to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    I just got the Hankooks so can't really comment on their performance yet (they seem fine, and did really well during the 4 wheeling on the White Rim, but haven't seen snow yet). They were really affordable compared to some of the other options, and have the winter snowflake, FWIW.
    I had those for a year on a 4Runner, they are great for the money. Never really pushed them in deep snow (shitty winter last year) and didn't spend a lot of time on snow either, but they were predictable when on snow. I got the 4?ply version which is much lighter, much quieter. I think Wicked Sick recommended them, he has a ton of miles on the 4ply version I think.

ForSCAN
    Thanks, I will have to check that out.

Anyone have experience with Cooper Discoverer A/TWs?

Quote Originally Posted by californiagrown View Post
    Anyone have experience with Cooper Discoverer A/TWs?
    Yeah, they suck.

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    I had hankooks on my my suburban before the Kumhos. Might have been model specific but performance was decent but rubber seemed to wear a little faster than I'd like. I'd say rotate them regularly.

Nokians it sounds like are the right call. Thanks Gunder.

Quote Originally Posted by homebrewd View Post
    I had hankooks on my my suburban before the Kumhos. Might have been model specific but performance was decent but rubber seemed to wear a little faster than I'd like. I'd say rotate them regularly.
    Mine looked brand new after 12-15000 miles when I sold them, never rotated them. Just another experience.

Never really hooned the tires to know how good/bad they are traction-wise though.

I think somewhere higher up in this thread I posted about liking the Cooper Discoverer ATPs on my camper/winter beater truck. I'm revising my opinion. They did pretty well in snow for the first year, but noticeably worse the following year with deeper snow -- and it wasn't due to racking up a bunch of miles. This truck only sees 2000-3000 miles in a year.

I think it's a combination of a couple factors -- longbed pickup (shitty weight distribution) with open bed in winter, and hard rubber compound. The tires are wearing fairly evenly, and durable so far. The truck sees a lot of dirt roads and light 4WD use with a heavy load (camper) in the summer months, and the tread isn't chunking. FWIW, mine are E-rated tires.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by shredgnar View Post
    Yeah, they suck.
    How so? Which ones did you use? What did you run them on?

My experience has been different. C rate. On a land cruiser.

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    How so? Which ones did you use? What did you run them on?

My experience has been different. C rate. On a land cruiser.
    They came on a F150 that I bought last year, C rated. They were fine in the summer, but once the snow was on the ground they had very little grip, like had to put my truck into 4wd to get out of my pretty flat driveway. Switched to BFG's and it was like night and day difference. Plus the BFG's look better, especially on a LC.

They came on a F150 that I bought last year, C rated. They were fine in the summer, but once the snow was on the ground they had very little grip, like had to put my truck into 4wd to get out of my pretty flat driveway. Switched to BFG's and it was like night and day difference. Plus the BFG's look better, especially on a LC.

You sure they weren't the A/T3?

The A/TW's seem pretty well regarded.

Thanks for the response. I have not had problems with my ATW. I have read lots of complaints about the winter traction of the AT3. When I bought the ATW, there were no tests of the snowflake BFG’s and they were almost double the cost.

I bet shredgnar actually had AT3s? I think ATWs do well in the snow, even after some wear.

That said, BW, how were they almost double the cost of KO2s? Costco had KO2s for cheaper than I bought the ATWs (through Big O) four years ago. Only went with the ATWs because the 4R is my wife's DD and they look "less aggressive."

When we replace next year, we're probably going with KO2s because she can get the tires done while shopping.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Lol. U calling me out?

Just curious how you managed to find either ATWs for that cheap or KO2s for that expensive. Similar prices at the generic tire shop. But the lowest Costco price is enough to pay for a Costco membership for the year plus quite a bit more.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

I don’t shop Costco. It’s almost 2hrs round trip drive from my house. If I remember correctly, the BFG available near my size were 10 ply and the cooper were 4 ply, which were cheaper than the 10 ply of the same size. The retail on the cooper, back then at least, were all cheaper than the bfg, and cooper had a rebate. Add some exaggeration, and the bfg were twice the cost .

Les Schwab’s is ordering a set of Nokian LT2s un-studded for me. Thanks for all the insights on this thread.

I went with non studded knowing I will still needing winter tires well after the April 15th cutoff for studs in Oregon.

Quote Originally Posted by Storm Hood View Post
    Les Schwab’s is ordering a set of Nokian LT2s un-studded for me. Thanks for all the insights on this thread.

I went with non studded knowing I will still needing winter tires well after the April 15th cutoff for studs in Oregon.
    You will love them. I only go with the factory studded version, as I spend a ton of time on forestry roads that tend to get very icy an get ZERO sand or gravel spread on them.

Timely thread.

Looking for new tires on 4Runner.

Replacing Cooper AT3. Had good luck. Even tread wear over 60k or so. 70/30 onroad vs off.

One complaint was light snow / compact snow/ice. Not expecting miracle for a semi aggressive tread in this department.

Sounds like Duratrac may improve in this department but maybe some faster wear?

Is general consensus here that the dura is a better buy?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Sledzski View Post
    Timely thread.

Replacing Cooper AT3. Had good luck. Even tread wear over 60k or so. 70/30 onroad vs off.

One complaint was light snow / compact snow/ice. Not expecting miracle for a semi aggressive tread in this department.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I had the KO2's on my 4runner and i liked them. I will say i wasn't overly impressed with compact snow/ice with them and if i kept the vehicle i would have gone with a dedicated winter pair ( like i did with my new Tundra).

Quote Originally Posted by Sledzski View Post
    Timely thread.

The new version of the At3- the AT3 4S is mountain snowflake rated, and likely to hold up better than the old ones, it's what I'm going to next.
    I have Geolandar G015 A/T and i hate them. Sidewall is so squishy, cornering sucks, they float on the freeway.