Page 2 of 64 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Truck Tire Time

Quote Originally Posted by AaronWright View Post
    Hankook Dynapro ATM is a good tire, snowflake rated, good/great in snow, reasonably quiet for an AT tire and reasonably priced. I like them as much as the Duratracs I had before.
    I looked at those, but the reviews were not so great. The Kumho AT51 was rated very high for A/T category.

Quote Originally Posted by The Tortoise View Post
    The only truck All Weather Tire is the Cooper AT/W.

They seem to get very good reviews. Snow performance should be better than A/S tires, likely at the expense of treadwear.

For 18" tires I think under $200 per tire for something quality will be tough.
    This is good looking tire. I was considering the AT3, but if I was going to go full AT category I figured I'd 'test' the Kumho.

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post

Recently got a pair of Falken AT3W from DiscountTire for super cheap for the van. Aggressive AT tire with 3 peak mountain snowflake rating (3PMSF). Only a few hundred miles on them but they roll very well on the highway, mild noise for aggressiveness of the tire, and nice compliant ride. But they do seem to run a bit bigger than tires in the same nominal size. I like that they come with a 55k treadlife warranty too, something most ATs don't have. Looking forward to how they do in snow if we ever get some in CO.
    How is the AT3W for non snow? Looks like ~$152 each so not breaking the bank. Looks aggressive. My concern would be noise, comfort and dry handling.

Quote Originally Posted by The Tortoise View Post

Regardless, if I were the OP I would look for an A/S tire with the severe snow rating.
    I did a chat w/the discounttire guy and he only had one option and it was a Hankook. Don't remember the model but the tread did not give me a positive visual. There is always the Defender LTX MS but its ~$200.

Sorry to hijack but those who have the Dynapros...what kind of miles did you get out of them?
    The Sheriff is near!

Quote Originally Posted by esseff View Post
    That time of year and need new tires on the land cruiser. Been running Geolandars ATS and won't get a second set.

Torn between another A/T tire and something more road friendly yet good in snow. But, not sure what that tire is. Also, the Kumho Road Venture AT51 is the second highest rated A/T tire on tire rack.com and they can be had locally for $130 a pop. 55k warranty, 30 day trial/return policy, tough to beat.

My driving is 90% city / hwy and do the grind to Tahoe from SF. That is a lot of no-snow mileage, but, when it's storming you need confidence.

Any suggestions or anyone try the Kumho AT?
    i've had the 18" Cooper AT3 on my 100 series landcruiser and haven't had a problem in the snow. From long hwy driving to getting down the 'drive' in snow up to bumper. Locked center diff doesn't hurt either

I looked at those, but the reviews were not so great. The Kumho AT51 was rated very high for A/T category.

This is good looking tire. I was considering the AT3, but if I was going to go full AT category I figured I'd 'test' the Kumho.

How is the AT3W for non snow? Looks like ~$152 each so not breaking the bank. Looks aggressive. My concern would be noise, comfort and dry handling.

I did a chat w/the discounttire guy and he only had one option and it was a Hankook. Don't remember the model but the tread did not give me a positive visual. There is always the Defender LTX MS but its ~$200.
    ATW (the new AT3 winter version from Cooper) is very nice on the highways.

As for the Falken AT3W on my van: noise is less than previous ATs, comfort is not passenger tire level, but not the stiffness of many ATs. As for handling -- they're fine. Not sure how'd they do in 100+-degrees in the desert. But I'm in a lifted van so I don't really push handling too hard.

I have about 15K mi on this tire and it's by far the best tire I've owned for ice and snow. We have toyo open country AT2's on my wife's 4runner and there is a huge difference. They are also good on dry roads with little noise and good handling. I was concerned about wear but they seem to be wearing like a normal AT tire. Plus, they have a 50K mile warranty. Holy grail of truck tires if you live in the mountains.

So the Faklen's are quieter than the AT2?

Quote Originally Posted by POWHNTR View Post
    I have about 15K mi on this tire and it's by far the best tire I've owned for ice and snow. We have toyo open country AT2's on my wife's 4runner and there is a huge difference. They are also good on dry roads with little noise and good handling. I was concerned about wear but they seem to be wearing like a normal AT tire. Plus, they have a 50K mile warranty. Holy grail of truck tires if you live in the mountains.

Quote Originally Posted by POWHNTR View Post
    Are you talking about the Falken AT3W or the Cooper ATW?

I'm guessing the latter since I've not seen a single review of the Falken AT3W with lots of winter experience. Plus it has a 55k warranty to Coopers 50k. I'm not surprised that it is a great snow/ice tire, that Cooper AT3 was already very good on snow/ice and ATW upp'd that focus.

Just talked to someone w/the Kumho AT51. Looks like I'll pass. He said pretty noisy on the road (but good in snow). That is buzz kill for me. I guess there is a reason they are $130.

Also FWIW, the guy at discounttiredirect.com said they will start their Black Friday sales on 11/21 (which is a Monday, but who cares). He said good discounts so another week won't kill me.

I have slightly different needs than you, wanted a high mileage LT tire that would do well in snow. Cooper Adventurer A/T from pep boys, comes out anywhere from $110-$150 a tire depending on your size with the buy 3 1 free promotion. Pretty much the same as cooper at3, just made specifically for pep boys. Can also get discount tire to price match the at3 (what I did) or atp as well.

Been great this whole year. Only had it in snow a couple times but did well. Wear is really good.

https://m.pepboys.com/tires/details/.../1176793/00479

Truck Tire Time

The coopers don't last very well compared to the Duratracks. I just order some Nokian Hakka lt2s for my winter wet. Will be running duratracks the rest of the year. Both are way better than the generals for grip.

Fwiw the Geolanders wore like iron. Had great traction but where way to soft on the sides for cornering stability.

Why are some considering the atw an "all season" tire versus an a/t tire?

All Weather =/ All Season

And because marketing. Mostly.

Michelin LTX MS
    These came on my used 03 Tundra 4x4 TRD.
    Any like or dislikes in the snow and off road ?
    So far i like on dry would like to hear others experience in the mountains.
    mixed reviews online.

for those in the west: anyone buy at les schwab?

I got a set of wild country xtx sport that performed well overall, but only got me to 40k mi
    good in the cold/wet/transitional that i drive through to get up to elevation
    i'm wondering if i should go back there (those tires were my first truck tire purchase)
    they will discount the tires based on the lower mileage, but wondering if i'm shorting myself by not looking at more conventional brands

I have a set of Cooper ATP's on my F-150. Have about 15k on them in the last and love them. Drove extensively on non-plowed winter roads last season, entire camping season of 4x4 roads etc.

I have been running the atw on a stock 100-series land cruiser for a year: pavement, gravel, Sierra winter conditions, mud, dirt, rocks (unmaintained FS roads/trails), and hauling firewood in a trailer on mud trails and open hillside. They have been great and I have never had traction issues.

At least last year, these were marketed at the "improved" version of the AT3, with similar AT traction and durability as the AT3, but better winter performance because of the siping. It's unclear to me if they have a different rubber than the at3. I've also been driving the older version on the yoko at tires (not snowflake rated) on a fwd minivan. Much better slick road stopping and handling performance with the ATW.

It looks like there are more affordable options available this year compared to the past. That's great! (thanks Canada!)

I've also had a great experience with Cooper tires on my Land Cruiser (model won't do any good as they are several years old) - they were reasonably priced, generally pretty quiet on the highway for a truck tire, aggressive enough tread for light off road duty, and seem to do really well in the snow. Part of the latter is the all wheel drive system on the Land Cruiser. I'm way happier with these tires and they don't have visible signs of wear in the 3.5 years I've had them on the truck. Way better wear so far than the prior Les Schwab Toyo's (which are generally pretty good tires) that I had on their previously.

Quote Originally Posted by acinpdx View Post
    for those in the west: anyone buy at les schwab?

I got a set of wild country xtx sport that performed well overall, but only got me to 40k mi
    good in the cold/wet/transitional that i drive through to get up to elevation
    i'm wondering if i should go back there (those tires were my first truck tire purchase)
    they will discount the tires based on the lower mileage, but wondering if i'm shorting myself by not looking at more conventional brands
    Les Schwab is a rip off. Go to Discount Tire or a Tire Factory franchise. Every quote I've ever got from LS is higher than from another place. I buy all my tire at Discount Tire now, better service, price, selection and they want your business.

Quote Originally Posted by AaronWright View Post
    Les Schwab is a rip off. Go to Discount Tire or a Tire Factory franchise. Every quote I've ever got from LS is higher than from another place. I buy all my tire at Discount Tire now, better service, price, selection and they want your business.
    Yup. Once you go discount you don't go back.

thx gentlemen

Quote Originally Posted by acinpdx View Post
    Les Schwab
    Haven't bought from them, but have shopped. They seem to be the most expensive, along with Big O. Discount Tire/ America's Tire (depending on where you're located) is considerably cheaper -- wait for a sale (like the upcoming Black Friday sale), stack manufacturer and DT rebates, buy on Discount's house credit card for another rebate (usually $30 to $60 just for running the purchase through their card).

Quote Originally Posted by Tryingtostaywarm View Post
    I have a set of Cooper ATP's on my F-150. Have about 15k on them in the last and love them. Drove extensively on non-plowed winter roads last season, entire camping season of 4x4 roads etc.
    I have the same -- Cooper ATP -- on my GMC Sierra 2500, E-rated tire. Not enough miles to gauge treadwear, as I don't drive that truck much, but I can say that ATPs with fresh tread perform well in snow, even in an open-bed pickup truck (w/o any weight added for traction). They seem to be a little smaller than the last set, which were a BFG A/T knockoff. (Same size for both tires -- 245/75/16, stock wheels.)
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

This thread is great timing as I just bought a '12 Tundra and got some money off because the tires will need replacing. I've been in f150s for years and have used general Grabber at2s and bf Goodrich all terrain ko2s ( which I'm amazed hasn't come up yet in this thread ). The ko2s are nice, look tough, but are soft, wear fast, and are expensive. The general grabbers are cheap and wear much better. I've been looking at Duratracs, but very interested in some others here. Carry on

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    Are you talking about the Falken AT3W or the Cooper ATW?

I'm guessing the latter since I've not seen a single review of the Falken AT3W with lots of winter experience. Plus it has a 55k warranty to Coopers 50k. I'm not surprised that it is a great snow/ice tire, that Cooper AT3 was already very good on snow/ice and ATW upp'd that focus.
    Cooper ATW. Sorry for any confusion. As to the question on compound, yes, they have silica in them similar to winter tires but are designed to be run year round.

I have 15,000 miles on my duratracs, they still look new.

Black Friday deals are out. Pretty much narrowed to Cooper and Maybe Falken AT3W. Anyone know the Cooper ATP? Looks more A/T than the AT3 (and considering my primary HWY use it may be overkill). Also, the Falken is tempting but no real reviews as its new. Again, non-snow manners may make it loud or overkill compared to the AT3.

Discount tire pricing:

Cooper Discoverer ATP: $139
    Cooper Discoverer A/T3: $149 (if using the pep boy price match on their cooper A/T)
    Falken Wild Peak A/T3W: $155

ATP:
    Name:  t_20150312.copra6.l.jpg
Views: 5361
Size:  12.3 KB

AT3:
    Name:  t_20110624.coprh9.l.jpg
Views: 5550
Size:  7.8 KB

AT3W:
    Name:  t_20160211.falrl0.l.jpg
Views: 5359