Page 48 of 64 FirstFirst ... 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 ... LastLast
Results 1,176 to 1,200 of 1600

Thread: Truck Tire Time

Stock is 18 x 7.5 Tire rack is full of shit on this one. Narrow is a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Shorty_J View Post
    Narrower is not an issue if your tire says it will fit. There are a range of rim widths tires will work with.

It will change the profile of the tire on the road but no big deal.

And the more narrow rim is less likely to get curb rash.
    Potential for brake caliper interference with the narrower rims? Sorry, these are total JONG questions, but I've never had a need to monkey with non-stock sizes.

Funny semi-related story: My old man my bought a new Taco TRD Pro 5ish years ago. Nicest/newest vehicle he's ever had in his life. He does a lot of fairly serious off-roading (goes all over Death Valley, Blackrock Desert, etc. in absolute BFE for weeks at a time) so he downsized to smaller steel wheels. Started to drive his new wheels away from the shop and heard "thunk thunk thunk thunk thunk thunk." Turns out the shop never checked clearance and the noise was the rims rubbing a few mm's off the corners of his brake calipers. He drove back into the shop understandably pissed, and they basically told him to piss off. Ultimately it's been fine, but WTF?

Quote Originally Posted by oldblue View Post
    Stock is 18 x 7.5 Tire rack is full of shit on this one. Narrow is a good thing.
    Bitchin, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    Dude, I don’t want this to turn into the other shitshow of a thread, but living in TV you should seriously consider a set of snow tires. You’d be blown away at how much better they are on snowpacked roads than those KO2’s. No comparison in winter driving confidence. Get winter tires now, run the KO2’s for another summer, and replace them in spring of 2024.
    Thanks for the advice. I read it, thought you were probably right and then told myself I'd only do winter tires if I mounted them on their own dedicated rims.

As luck would have it, there is someone here locally who is selling a set of 4 aluminum TRD Off Road rims that are the exact same as the stock ones on my truck. I talked them down to $300 for the entire set.

I'm going to mount Blizzaks on them and keep the 7/32 K02s for the summer. Total cost of Blizzaks + rims is several hundred dollars less than new K02s.

Thanks man.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Excellent info everyone, thanks. Maybe it's just bad timing, but fleabay prices for used 6x135 wheels seem to start at $130/ea which isn't much cheaper than new. Also, a lot of them are 18x7.5 or 18x8, while Tire Rack says stock is 18x9. Are the narrower widths an issue?

I'm starting to think this calls for some junkyarding. Some days I really miss my old truck[/sigh]
    Timing is probably one issue. The other, at least last time I was shopping, was that you could find semi-pricey rims all day, but the bargain listings were tiger to find and tended to go quickly.

I was looking at Raptor wheels a little while ago and saw some pretty good deals with tires (basically takeoffs that were only marginally more expensive than the tires alone would be if bought new), but it's a lot harder to find good deals on actual snow tires.

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Potential for brake caliper interference with the narrower rims? Sorry, these are total JONG questions, but I've never had a need to monkey with non-stock sizes.

Funny semi-related story: My old man my bought a new Taco TRD Pro 5ish years ago. Nicest/newest vehicle he's ever had in his life. He does a lot of fairly serious off-roading (goes all over Death Valley, Blackrock Desert, etc. in absolute BFE for weeks at a time) so he downsized to smaller steel wheels. Started to drive his new wheels away from the shop and heard "thunk thunk thunk thunk thunk thunk." Turns out the shop never checked clearance and the noise was the rims rubbing a few mm's off the corners of his brake calipers. He drove back into the shop understandably pissed, and they basically told him to piss off. Ultimately it's been fine, but WTF?

Bitchin, thanks.
    I think as long as your offset is correct you shouldn't have caliper issues.

But that's definitely something to be aware of and I'm not an expert.

Sent from my SM-A536W using Tapatalk
    Goal: ski in the 2018/19 season

Alright, rims picked up- exactly the same as my current ones and the person who had them was a 5 minute drive away. Nice retired skier lady.

She had a second set of factory wheels from Toyota, but didn't like having to lift the tires while they were mounted on rims because they are too heavy so she had the tire shop unmount her summer tires and she sold them for a pretty good deal.

I also just bought a set of Blizzaks from Costco, which had a $150 instant rebate compared to the price I had seen earlier today.

Thanks again dudes. 4Runner + Blizzaks will hopefully be very capable.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevo View Post
    4Runner + Blizzaks will hopefully be very capable.
    You are going to be pretty much unstoppable with that combination... Good choices!

Truck Tire Time

Alright- I ordered some new K02s. Local tire shop has me scheduled a full month out, but I'll make do on the 7/32s of tread between now and then.

5 years ago a set of 4 K02s cost me about $800 OTD. Today it was $1390 including install. Ugh
    Just priced for my Tundra….same/ 900.00 Michelins are now 1400.00 installed. Depressing…that 1400.00 could go to so much more “fun” stuff….lol.
    Last edited by BC.; 10-28-2022 at 04:19 PM.

My new ridge grapplers were 2156 mounted and balanced for 4 tires. No wheels. That stung.

Quote Originally Posted by SoVT Joey View Post
    My new ridge grapplers were 2156 mounted and balanced for 4 tires. No wheels. That stung.
    $540 a fucking tire?! Holy shit. That's insanity.

You guys are making me feel a lot better about the $850 I spent this spring to get new tires for my Sequoia.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    You guys are making me feel a lot better about the $850 I spent this spring to get new tires for my Sequoia.
    I only get that price on the wife Elantra’s tires. The taco and half ton run north of $300/tire installed +tax & levy every fucking time.

But I stand by the policy that the rubber is never the place to bargain shop.

Quote Originally Posted by BCMtnHound View Post
    I only get that price on the wife Elantra’s tires. The taco and half ton run north of $300/tire installed +tax & levy every fucking time.

Size down on the wheels and both the wheels and the rubber will be a lot cheaper.

Size down on the wheels and both the wheels and the rubber will be a lot cheaper.

16’s on the taco. Could go 15”, but that removes E-rated tires. Toyos or Nokians since I’ve had her. Chevy has 18’s, steel spare is 17”. Came with KO2’s, now splits between Nokian Outpost AT and studded Hak LT3’s.

yup snow tires on new steel rims was about 1800 $ on the ranger and 9 years later on the Taco

you would not try to save money on that other lifesaving product ... the condom
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

16’s on the taco. Could go 15”, but that removes E-rated tires. Toyos or Nokians since I’ve had her. Chevy has 18’s, steel spare is 17”. Came with KO2’s, now splits between Nokian Outpost AT and studded Hak LT3’s.
    Sounds like I'm preaching to the choir and you have it dialed... Sorry if I seemed presumptuous.

Truck Tire Time

Sounds like I'm preaching to the choir and you have it dialed... Sorry if I seemed presumptuous.

Not at all.

And I pay a premium with only one outlet in town. Might shave a bit shopping in Kamloops, but the drive and hassle isn’t worth paying the difference IMO.

Talk on this and the other thread reminds me that I should get those old KO2’s (set of two) posted on the local marketplace. They still have a summer season or two in em.
    Last edited by BCMtnHound; 10-29-2022 at 01:17 AM.

Alright, rims picked up- exactly the same as my current ones and the person who had them was a 5 minute drive away. Nice retired skier lady.

She had a second set of factory wheels from Toyota, but didn't like having to lift the tires while they were mounted on rims because they are too heavy so she had the tire shop unmount her summer tires and she sold them for a pretty good deal.

I also just bought a set of Blizzaks from Costco, which had a $150 instant rebate compared to the price I had seen earlier today.

Thanks again dudes. 4Runner + Blizzaks will hopefully be very capable.
    I think you’ll be stoked on the grip.

My Chevy half ton came with KO2’s E rated. At about your tread life, I got a set of dedicated snows on steel rims and limited the KO2’s for summer. Similar to you I found they no longer gave me a confident feeling in winter conditions.
    If you’re driving interior BC in winter you should have dedicated snow tires.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentUnicorn View Post
    If you’re driving interior BC in winter you should have dedicated snow tires
    How did this thread get to almost 1200posts without this gem of a contribution. Now we are complete.

/thread.

How did this thread get to almost 1200posts without this gem of a contribution. Now we are complete.

/thread.
    I learned the hard way. No damage or injuries but I immediately started shopping for snow tires. I can understand trying to save some money and seasonal hassle but it’s just not worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Scored. Local indie tire shop had these factory 18" rims for $350 and like-new take-off Wrangler ATs for $580 installed. And, because I bought the wheels and tires they took $20 off my snow tire install. Those tires are on Tire Rack right now for $235/ea. Sometimes the universe just smiles on you.

Last edited by Dantheman; 11-05-2022 at 03:45 PM.

Dayum that’s a sweet setup for killer deal!! Nice score

Nicely done! KSL classifieds has been my go-to for new takeoff F-150 wheels/tires. I got that exact combo last spring for my 2017. I think I paid about $650.

Gman is online now Mack Master William Large
    any recommendations for all season car tires. I have a hand me down 2011 Mercedes E-350 blutec that needs rear tires. Doesn't give driven in the snow and live in bay area SF so it doesn't get that cold here.