Page 36 of 64 FirstFirst ... 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 ... LastLast

Thread: Truck Tire Time

checking back in to say the studded nokian lt3’s have been a revelation of improvement over my last set of mountain/snowflake tires...just very confidence-inducing

Quote Originally Posted by ::: ::: View Post
    checking back in to say the studded nokian lt3’s have been a revelation of improvement over my last set of mountain/snowflake tires...just very confidence-inducing
    Ditto!! It’s crazy what I can drive up and down in 2WD. Had 4R with all seasons in front of me the other day to the hill. They back end was all over the place. I was rock solid in 2WD.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I like the fallen wild peak at3 we have on our van. I also like the grabber at2 I have on my jeep

Quote Originally Posted by CascadeLuke View Post
    What tire am I? Need 275 55 20 or damn close [20 x 9 wheel] Tundra 4x4

Read avg to mixed reviews on new to me Bridgstone factory tires - Dueler HL Alenza.. Ordering wheel set. Dump these tires or mount em up?

Priorities in order
    -Wet weather performance
    -handling performance
    -road noise
    -snow performance
    -wear life
    -off road capabilities

Any thoughts or experience specific to that tire range appreciated. It’s seems like a broad ask but this tire size rolls off the line on all Tahoe variants, some Tundra, and more.
    I’m no tire guy but Michelin LTX seems to meet that list. I have the same list and use them on my 4Runner and really happy.

https://www.michelinman.com/tires/lt...tate=pg:3/ct:r

Quick google search and people like them on a Tundra.

Quote Originally Posted by AK47bp View Post
    I’m no tire guy but Michelin LTX seems to meet that list. I have the same list and use them on my 4Runner and really happy.

https://www.michelinman.com/tires/lt...tate=pg:3/ct:r

Quick google search and people like them on a Tundra.

Just took the LTX’s off my Tundra and let the shop keep them at 23k when I put studs/snow wheels on. Plenty of life left but not much grip on icy and snow covered roads. Wet dirt roads and mud was a no go either. They were fine when new but at half life, I wasn’t that stoked.

For the top three of your list, great. Snow was good when newer.

Have some Cooper ATs ready on the stock rims for spring. Wanted 10 plies for some of the river shuttles we do.

I have the tundra's brother (Sequoia) and the LTX has always been on my list (but always have gotten something with the snowflake).
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Conundrum View Post
    Just took the LTX’s off my Tundra and let the shop keep them at 23k when I put studs/snow wheels on. Plenty of life left but not much grip on icy and snow covered roads. Wet dirt roads and mud was a no go either. They were fine when new but at half life, I wasn’t that stoked.

For the top three of your list, great. Snow was good when newer.

Have some Cooper ATs ready on the stock rims for spring. Wanted 10 plies for some of the river shuttles we do.
    Yea. Top three it’s great. Snow I never had any problems even with 50k on them. Don’t off road except forest service roads to trailheads and zero problems. Not great on ice or really slick compact snow.

But you aren’t going to find a unicorn tire that hits everything on that list well.

He’s in western WA, wet road performance is #1 in my opinion.

That’s interesting about the bad reviews on the LTX ran them for 5 years on my land cruiser (2 sets) I was stoked. Quiet, great rain performance, did great in snow (to and from the hill) never took em off road. Took both sets to 60,000 without an issue.

Yea was eyeing LTX and almost put them on another vehicle once before. Have had good experience with Michelin recently on a sporty ride. Hmm
    I value snow performance big time. Was just thinking I’d put together a dedicated winter set.

Yea was eyeing LTX and almost put them on another vehicle once before. Have had good experience with Michelin recently on a sporty ride. Hmm
    I value snow performance big time. Was just thinking I’d put together a dedicated winter set.
    That’s what I do on my tundra and I can’t complain. 1 tire will never do it all. 2 can come close. You can pick up a set of stock wheels pretty damn cheap on CL.

Quote Originally Posted by SkiLyft View Post
    That’s interesting about the bad reviews on the LTX ran them for 5 years on my land cruiser (2 sets) I was stoked. Quiet, great rain performance, did great in snow (to and from the hill) never took em off road. Took both sets to 60,000 without an issue.

I wouldn’t say I hated them. We get a lot of transitional wet to freeze around here and that is where they were getting a little greasy. Also have some river shuttle divers around here that are hard on tires. We’ve never flatted a trailer tire fully loaded on the way in and every trip out we are left with 1-2 trailer flats out of four cars. It’s a pain to stop and get a new spare. Luckily haven’t flatted a truck and wanted something beefier to help avoid.

I had LTXs on my ‘96 4Runner. They were adequate. I never got stuck, or a flat. But on mixed-condition roads (ice, wet, dry), when I had to keep it in RWD, I had to drive annoyingly slowly. The rear end was just waiting to snap around on every transition to ice.

I replaced the with these, https://www.yokohamatire.com/tires/geolandar-a-t-g015. They’re better in every way. I got the lighter load rated ones and they’re still plenty burley for the blue-square off roading I do. The best thing is that I can keep up with traffic on I90 heading up to Snoq Pass when the roads are wet with a chance of ice.
    U.P.: up

Brother and I have both had great experience with LTX.
    Brother got 80k out of a set he fastidiously rotated and had flipped once on the rim.
    One thing I like about them is the siping. Sipes go all the way to the bottom of the tread lugs. Meaning the tire can clear snow from lug better and for more of the life of the tire and they keep lugs/tires cooler for longer life.

It seems there are a few LTX tires.

https://www.michelinman.com/search?q=LTX

I had the M/S and good all around for my needs. I don’t drive on ice usually or do much off roading though.

Truck Tire Time

I think the ltx comes in a few different flavors. The e-rated at2 I had on the diesel were long wearing and quiet on pavement but they were not siped and downright scary in snow.
    Last edited by jackattack; 12-27-2020 at 11:16 AM.

Ko2s or duratracs seem to be the Jack of all trade tires that still have the snowflake.

Had ko2s on my tundra and they worked fine in all conditions. Definitely not as good on snow as dedicated snow tires, but it would be weird if they weren't, right?

Just wearing out my 3rd set of Michy LTX A/T2 on our '14 F150. They are decent in snow, wear well, and do fine on light/medium off-road excursions. Once they get near the wear bars, though, snow and slush performance is a little dicey. Which, I suppose, is not unexpected.

Only had two flats in the entire time we've had the 3 sets - one was a piece of road debris that slashed the sidewall somehow and the other was a "just-the-right-sized" sharp, square-edged rock my kid hit at speed on a FS road. Punched a nice gash right in the tread.

FTR: it's this tire:

That's the tire I had. LTX AT2. Nothing wrong with them. I just wanted better and am running two sets of tires. The good news with those is all the Tundra brodozer guys take them off day 1 and sell them cheap on Craigslist.

looking to buy some winter tires - first set in 20 yrs. homed in on studded Hakka 8 for a 16" wheel 2004 tacoma. anyone with experience with these care to comment?

could also do LT3 but that bumps me to a 75 from the stock 70. probably fine just not something I've done before.

terrain: INW between 1700'-4000' elev. not super cold. road up to the ski hill, mainly. doesn't get plowed as often as it needs.

studs: I'm not married to the idea of studs (under consideration bc local folks tell me everyone around here runs studs in winter). i expect to be doing plenty of driving on pavement without snow, so if studs are overkill or otherwise a bad idea please say so.
    Last edited by ntblanks; 01-01-2021 at 12:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ntblanks View Post
    looking to buy some winter tires - first set in 20 yrs. homed in on studded Hakka 8 for a 16" wheel 2004 tacoma. anyone with experience with these care to comment?

could also do LT3 but that bumps me to a 75 from the stock 70. probably fine just not something I've done before.

terrain: INW between 1700'-4000' elev. not super cold. road up to the ski hill, mainly. doesn't get plowed as often as it needs.

studs: I'm not married to the idea of studs (under consideration bc local folks tell me everyone around here runs studs in winter). i expect to be doing plenty of driving on pavement without snow, so if studs are overkill or otherwise a bad idea please say so.
    I have LTs on my heavier truck and I don't remember which hakkas on the tundra. Both are like velcro. I haven't seen anyone in this thread disagree or recommend a different tire (provided they've actually put a season or two on the hakkas).

I've run studs, but the consensus seems to be that it doesn't much matter apart from glare ice.

FWIW, I have 12k miles on my LTs, hard driving at max weight limit (3640lb per tire). I've thrown a few studs in that time, but there has been almost no wear. They're the quietest studs I've ever heard, and they ride as well or better than the stock wrangler kevlars.

Thanks man. Ended up going studless - not going to see enough ice around here to justify it.

Those of you who like the ltx m/s, I found these tires from Kumho that look like ripoffs of that design and are similarly spec'd but a lot cheaper...

https://kumhotire.ca/en-ca/global/ti...291&iditem=100

I ordered a set and will report back here later.

I had the at 51 on my truck and they were good in the winter their first year but less so as they wear a bit... but I've been happy with them in the dry and dirt roads so I thought I'd try these on my Ford Escape.

Sent from my SM-A505W using Tapatalk
    Goal: ski in the 2018/19 season

Quote Originally Posted by Shorty_J View Post
    Those of you who like the ltx m/s, I found these tires from Kumho that look like ripoffs of that design and are similarly spec'd but a lot cheaper...

https://kumhotire.ca/en-ca/global/ti...291&iditem=100

I ordered a set and will report back here later.

I had the at 51 on my truck and they were good in the winter their first year but less so as they wear a bit... but I've been happy with them in the dry and dirt roads so I thought I'd try these on my Ford Escape.

Sent from my SM-A505W using Tapatalk
    I’m gonna wager a bet that there’s no way they last as long as the Michelins. Report back in 60k miles.

Those Kumho tires are on my short list for a replacement set. 3PMSF rating, inexpensive, solid reviews on Tire Rack.

I've spent the extra for Michelin in the past. They don't last any longer for me. I've never had a tire go past 40K miles, no matter what vehicle or what tire.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Just throwing it out there:
    I'm selling a pair of Goodyear Wranglers AT w/ Kevlar sidewalls in size 265/70R16. Great condition, only 9k miles on them, $300 cash for 4 tires. Pick up only, no shipping.