Page 30 of 64 FirstFirst ... 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ... LastLast

Thread: Truck Tire Time

Discount Tire should be able to order any Nokian. They always have for me.

Running studded hakka LTs on the current rig with a constant 7200lbs on the rear axle.

Might go studless next time for no particular reason other than to not have to rush out to change em out on April 1st or whenever it is.

Although for that kind of weight, my next move is more likely to be to 19.5s with Michelin XDS's. The hakkas have handled it fine. Can't hear the studs. But I don't like being at the weight limit of the tire and a camper buddy is running those tires with a triple slide Host (drool...).

Anyone with significant 19.5" snow tire experience?

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    You are almost certainly correct regarding wear (the treadwear ratings are the same, but I'm skeptical). I still think it's worth it since our shoulder seasons are super long and overlap with desert season. Also, while rarely enforced, our canyon traction laws now require 3PMSF.
    Yeah - the Michy's have a 60K mile "warranty" but I think we only got about 45K out of the 1st pair. But to be honest, they were so much better than the abysmal stock tires that came on the truck, I was good with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    while rarely enforced, our canyon traction laws now require 3PMSF.
    "The change does not affect vehicles with four-wheel or all-wheel drive"
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    "The change does not affect vehicles with four-wheel or all-wheel drive"
    Admittedly, I haven't had much need to pay particularly close attention to these things this season.

ETA: Though, honestly, 4WD/AWD shouldn't be excepted. There's no shortage of idiots in AWD vehicles who think they're just fine with their all seasons that are worn down to 3/32.
    Last edited by Dantheman; 02-26-2020 at 04:54 PM.

Okay, rocking true studded snows on my 3rd gen tundra, thinking summer tires.

Occasionally tow a car trailer.

Want aggressive looks, as the truck will be wrapped with logos for my off road shop.

Truck will be lifted 3" on OME bp51 suspension.

Thinking a 295/70 r17... or similar size.

Maybe not a full MT tire, but maybe if maggot experience is good in terms of road noise & tread life... maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    how did you find them for retaining the studs, IME I always lose them eventualy

the last set of haks on my Ranger had square studs these LT3's on the tacoma have triangular SS studs
    I went studless for better performance 97% of the time.

Up narth I'm driving on snow & ice for > 5 months of the year

https://www.thebeaverton.com/2020/02...of-snow-tires/
    Last edited by XXX-er; 02-26-2020 at 07:05 PM.
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by The Artist Formerly Known as Leavenworth Skier View Post
    Okay, rocking true studded snows on my 3rd gen tundra, thinking summer tires.

Occasionally tow a car trailer.

Want aggressive looks, as the truck will be wrapped with logos for my off road shop.

Truck will be lifted 3" on OME bp51 suspension.

Thinking a 295/70 r17... or similar size.

Maybe not a full MT tire, but maybe if maggot experience is good in terms of road noise & tread life... maybe?
    Duratracs have served my well. Recently switched to General AT3 though to save some $ on a vehicle I am most likely selling soon
    "Not all who wander are lost"

Quote Originally Posted by mn_teleswede View Post
    Duratracs have served my well. Recently switched to General AT3 though to save some $ on a vehicle I am most likely selling soon
    I like duratracs but looking for something with a little harder rubber compound for summer driving.

Quote Originally Posted by The Artist Formerly Known as Leavenworth Skier View Post
    I like duratracs but looking for something with a little harder rubber compound for summer driving.
    STMaxx. Got a set on 295/70/17 on Rock Warrior rims you can try

Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    STMaxx. Got a set on 295/70/17 on Rock Warrior rims you can try
    I was already thinking ST Maxx as a recommendation and the got here. A buddy has them on an 80 and they look great and he rallies in the desert with me. I run pros and he keeps up. His is a daily driver, mine isn’t.

STmaxx is under consideration. Also really like the appearance of the KM3. And of course the new BFG Ko2 in the new harder DT compound are of interest as well.

I'm a tire idiot and am now thinking way to much about stuff that likely doesn't matter for a Crew cab 6 foot bed Nissan Frontier. I live in North Central WA and have a set of snow tires that I swap on for winter, so I'm not too worried about snow performance and don't see getting any gnarlier than light towing and FS roads of varying quality.

Walmart is my closest/best option. Any thoughts about the difference between Hankook Dynapro AT2 RF11, Falken Wildpeak AT3W and Cooper Discoverer AT? Anything else I should consider besides these? I'm leaning towards the Hankooks.

I was leaning Hankook myself until I read the Tirerack comparison I linked above. I don’t have any comparative experience of my own, though. FWIW I’ve been pleased with the Yokos. They’re pretty quiet for an AT LT tire, and they handled the recent snow here with no issue.

Quote Originally Posted by John_B View Post
    I'm a tire idiot and am now thinking way to much about stuff that likely doesn't matter for a Crew cab 6 foot bed Nissan Frontier. I live in North Central WA and have a set of snow tires that I swap on for winter, so I'm not too worried about snow performance and don't see getting any gnarlier than light towing and FS roads of varying quality.

Walmart is my closest/best option. Any thoughts about the difference between Hankook Dynapro AT2 RF11, Falken Wildpeak AT3W and Cooper Discoverer AT? Anything else I should consider besides these? I'm leaning towards the Hankooks.
    I'm running the wild peaks on my tundra right now. I like them, good traction on mud, dirt, snow and ice, no chipping from the FS roads. Got a good deal on Kumho road venture ATs for my boy's Taco. I like that tire, too. Both were Wally world purchases..

Are you talking Cooper discoverer at3? If so, I was not a fan of them in dirt. Any mud, ie, it had rained on a graded northern california dirt road-not mudding, they were terrible in. Good highway tire tho

I've run two of the tires on your list on my 80 series land cruiser. I really liked the coopers for highway, fire roads, etc. and have similar feels on the Falken's so far. I got really good usage on the Coopers over 50k miles and still had really good tread left - just swapped them namely due their time in service and didn't want to have one cause an issue on a winter or summer road trip because the tire compound drying out and not being very elastic anymore. Both are good on highway, seem to be very similar snow/ice capabilities, and wet weather performance was good for both.

During the last two winters during some particularly dicey road conditions, I felt completely planted on the road with the Falken's.

I don't hard core wheel per se, so can't comment on either tire for that application.

May just be a price point discussion at the end - I am happy I saved a few bucks on the Falken's when I replaced the Coopers.

Quote Originally Posted by John_B View Post

Quote Originally Posted by PNWcement View Post
    I've run two of the tires on your list on my 80 series land cruiser. I really liked the coopers for highway, fire roads, etc. and have similar feels on the Falken's so far. I got really good usage on the Coopers over 50k miles and still had really good tread left - just swapped them namely due their time in service and didn't want to have one cause an issue on a winter or summer road trip because the tire compound drying out and not being very elastic anymore. Both are good on highway, seem to be very similar snow/ice capabilities, and wet weather performance was good for both.

During the last two winters during some particularly dicey road conditions, I felt completely planted on the road with the Falken's.

I don't hard core wheel per se, so can't comment on either tire for that application.

May just be a price point discussion at the end - I am happy I saved a few bucks on the Falken's when I replaced the Coopers.
    I have had several touch and go moments with the Falkens on ice, IMO they don't perform much better than a good all season radial there. Although I am running the E-rated version, maybe a harder durometer rubber? Everything else including rain has been great along with long wear.

Fair point. You mention rain, so maybe there is something damp road conditions where the tires perform better. Looks like you're in MT which is colder dryer snow and colder dryer ice - vs - Cascade maritime snow or slopping compacted snow that masquerades as Ice. Slippery yes, very much so, but way more water content than more black ice type stuff you may be referencing.

Should have stated that my perspective is based on Cascade mountain passes, fire roads, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by 3PinGrin View Post
    I have had several touch and go moments with the Falkens on ice, IMO they don't perform much better than a good all season radial there. Although I am running the E-rated version, maybe a harder durometer rubber? Everything else including rain has been great along with long wear.

Quote Originally Posted by PNWcement View Post
    Fair point. You mention rain, so maybe there is something damp road conditions where the tires perform better. Looks like you're in MT which is colder dryer snow and colder dryer ice - vs - Cascade maritime snow or slopping compacted snow that masquerades as Ice. Slippery yes, very much so, but way more water content than more black ice type stuff you may be referencing.

Should have stated that my perspective is based on Cascade mountain passes, fire roads, etc.
    They are definitely very good in wet heavy snow has been my experience, and I think you might be onto something with the drier conditions comment. Wetter snow/ice hasn't been much of a problem.

falken wildpeak at3w has been solid for me all winter on/off highway. if i lived somewhere with snow/ice through the winter i’d upgrade to true winter/summer setup.

I took the studs (Nokian Nordman 7) off early this season and put on some Falken Wildpeak AT3Ws. So far, they've handled snow and some ice fairly well. The studs obviously perform better in wintry conditions, but I haven't had any issues with the Falkens as long as I'm a little more conservative when driving. I live near the top of a pretty nasty hill, so you learn pretty quick if your tires don't handle well in the snow.

I'm actually debating selling off the studs next winter.
    No kick turns
    No mercy

Ended up deciding on the Goodyear Wrangler Ultraterrain AT today. They were in stock at the local Discount Tire and have a $50 rebate at the moment. I don't think they're the best tire in the category, but I run the same tires year round and these strike a decent compromise. Drove 12 miles home at about 60 mph and the road noise and ride quality was superb 😆

2012 Tacoma 4x4 FTR, 16 inch rims.

PSA: Discount currently has the Yokohama Geolandar A/T G015 (winner of the TireRack test on the previous page) in 265/70R17 121S/E for $163/ea. That's a smoking deal for an E-rated 3PMSF AT truck tire with 18/32 tread depth. I ended up at $806 out the door with installation and sales tax.

eta: Blackwall only, OWL version is an extra $20, if you give a shit, which I don't.
    Last edited by Dantheman; 05-19-2020 at 02:35 PM.

That is a good deal. We have G015s on the wife's rav4. After putting 40k on them, I'm quite satisfied.