Page 49 of 65 FirstFirst ... 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 ... LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,225 of 1602

Thread: Truck Tire Time

Uprade to 2 sets of rims on my 04 2500.

Toyo Open Country WLT1 winters E rated, 10ply on 3rd gen silverado rims from a buddy that worked at the shop, payed for with a 24 of Kokanee. The universe smiled. Ran the same tire the past 3 winters, works well for BC Winters.

Nito Ridge Grappler April - October on steel H2 rims that came with the truck.

Quote Originally Posted by Gman View Post
    any recommendations for all season car tires. I have a hand me down 2011 Mercedes E-350 blutec that needs rear tires. Doesn't give driven in the snow and live in bay area SF so it doesn't get that cold here.
    Conti CrossContact Sports are a good value. Or you could spend some coin and buy a set of Michelin Primacy Tour A/S tires.
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

Anyone have an opinion on Blizzak LT vs Firestone Winterforce LT? These will be going on my Promaster, not studding as I run a fair amount of dry roads.

Firestones are $30 cheaper for a set of 4, I'm thinking the Blizzaks are a no brainer at that minimal price difference?

Quote Originally Posted by snowaddict91 View Post
    Anyone have an opinion on Blizzak LT vs Firestone Winterforce LT? These will be going on my Promaster, not studding as I run a fair amount of dry roads.

Firestones are $30 cheaper for a set of 4, I'm thinking the Blizzaks are a no brainer at that minimal price difference?
    Blizzak for sure at that price.

Winterforce is a good tire studded. The Blizzaks are a much better un studded tire, esp at that price point.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Thanks guys, that's what I was thinking.

Have had the non-LT version of both tires and personally I’d spring for the Blizzaks at that price difference. The Firestones are impressive for some of the prices they have been selling at but they’re not quite as grippy in nasty conditions and they have much worse road manners on dry roads (growly+bumpier ride).

Any reason you're going with the LT over the DM-V2?

The latter have better reviews on Tire Rack.

Between the two I'd go with the Winterforce because they will likely last longer.

Quote Originally Posted by The Tortoise View Post
    Any reason you're going with the LT over the DM-V2?
    I don't believe they make them in the size/LR combo I need. 225/75/16 LR E.

With 40k and 3 winters on my wildpeaks I decided to get General Grabber Artics LT’s for my Tacoma this winter on a set of steel wheels. So far, the drive noise complaint is not existent.

Question, what is everyone doing with their summer tires during the winter? I don’t have space to store them in the shed/garage. I imagine they’ll be fine covered in the backyard?

Quote Originally Posted by benk View Post
    With 40k and 3 winters on my wildpeaks I decided to get General Grabber Artics LT’s for my Tacoma this winter on a set of steel wheels. So far, the drive noise complaint is not existent.

Question, what is everyone doing with their summer tires during the winter? I don’t have space to store them in the shed/garage. I imagine they’ll be fine covered in the backyard?
    Under a tarp in the yard is where I store 2 sets. Works fine.

Sent from my SM-A536W using Tapatalk
    Goal: ski in the 2018/19 season

Anyone looking for a good second set of tires and wheels for a Ford Super Duty? Selling these:
    https://reno.craigslist.org/wto/7553311730.html
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by Shorty_J View Post
    Under a tarp in the yard is where I store 2 sets. Works fine.

I don’t even use a tarp, but that seems like a good idea to reduce exposure.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevo View Post
    Alright, rims picked up- exactly the same as my current ones and the person who had them was a 5 minute drive away. Nice retired skier lady.

She had a second set of factory wheels from Toyota, but didn't like having to lift the tires while they were mounted on rims because they are too heavy so she had the tire shop unmount her summer tires and she sold them for a pretty good deal.

I also just bought a set of Blizzaks from Costco, which had a $150 instant rebate compared to the price I had seen earlier today.

Thanks again dudes. 4Runner + Blizzaks will hopefully be very capable.
    Got the Blizzaks installed yesterday. They are a way better highway tire than K02s. The drive home was nice and smooth. The small section of snow/ ice that I drove through made them feel promising.

I stored my K02s + factory rims on top of a large industrial shelving unit in my garage. Each wheel/ tire combo is over 80 pounds. Was kind of a chore to climb a ladder 4x to get them up there. Might need a better solution next year.

Quote Originally Posted by benk View Post

I got this rack off of Amazon to store out 4R XIce2's. Works great for keeping them up and out of the way if you have the overhead and wall space.

HyLoft Model 01012 Tire-Loft Multi Tire Storage System, 48-Inch wide by 36-Inch Deep,Red https://a.co/d/9GFwfGB

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using Tapatalk

I have winterforce’s with studs on my land cruiser. I bought because of availability, price point, and curiosity about using studs. I haven’t used blizzaks on the truck but have run blizzak versions on cars and a minivan. With the winterforce tires, I’ve definitely had the truck sideways sliding on a slippery descent on a 2 lane highway loaded with 7 humans and all gear. Was able to control and remain on highway. Same thing happened with the car behind me. Do not know their tires.

Lots of stories where the tires were out performing mostly unknown tires on nearby vehicles.

I’m always hesitant to purchase the blizzak’s that only have a few 1/32” of the good winter rubber because I already have good summer tires.

Hmm, there are a decent number of reviews of the Blizzak LT talking about rapid tread wear, so that is a fair point.

Hmm, there are a decent number of reviews of the Blizzak LT talking about rapid tread wear, so that is a fair point.
    The Blizzak LT doesn’t have the multicell compound, which is what most people complain about with regards to Blizzak wear.

On tires that have that compound, like the Blizzak DM-V2, the multicell compound is only in the outer 55% of tread thickness, so onece the tire is half worn there a significant drop off in performance.

They Wear faster in my experience, compared.to the DMV2 but in comparing ¹/2 tonne to a venza with DMV2.... the weight of the vehicle alone could cause that.

Quote Originally Posted by J. Barron DeJong View Post
    The Blizzak LT doesn’t have the multicell compound, which is what most people complain about with regards to Blizzak wear.

On tires that have that compound, like the Blizzak DM-V2, the multicell compound is only in the outer 55% of tread thickness, so onece the tire is half worn there a significant drop off in performance.
    My wife got 5 seaond out of DMV2 and we sold them for $350 with 40+% tread left.

New buyer might know how they perform in new shape but they still get decent winter's highly discounted. Better than summers... everybody wins.

Didn’t see much, if any, talk of Sumitomo. Found a holiday sale on a set of Encounter AT. Anyone here ever run these?

LT265-70/17 E rated for my Ford F-250. Will carry a Lance camper at times.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3FC24F5B-1F8C-4157-9775-73D13B9F1894.jpg 
Views:	164 
Size:	1.04 MB 
ID:	440656

Initial impression is good, but I’ll report back after some miles are put on in various conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by singlecross View Post
    Didn’t see much, if any, talk of Sumitomo. Found a holiday sale on a set of Encounter AT. Anyone here ever run these?

LT265-70/17 E rated for my Ford F-250. Will carry a Lance camper at times.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3FC24F5B-1F8C-4157-9775-73D13B9F1894.jpg 
Views:	164 
Size:	1.04 MB 
ID:	440656

Initial impression is good, but I’ll report back after some miles are put on in various conditions.
    Sumitomo builds the Falken brand, so you should be good.
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

Been off TGR for a while.

Just here to report that I'm very happy with my Nokian Hakka LT3 Studless on a 3/4T truck after 1.5 winters of use. The studded version is supposed to be way better, but I live in a valley floor that sees persistent snow and ice on the ground only a few days a year and the truck is my daily driver, and also it's usually about 40 to 60 miles of driving before the tires hit snow and ice so I went studless. Awesome traction on slick surfaces, great road feel feedback, so far durable driving on various surfaces and loading the rears up to 2600 lbs/tire (tires are load index 125 in my size) and they do well towing a 5800-6300 lbs travel trailer. Rarely have to turn on 4x4, once I had to turn on 4x4 to get going because I stopped completely in 5" of wet snow on top of ice on an uphill grade, was unloaded / the bed only had a few sandbags in it, otherwise I can usually get by in snow and ice in 2WD. Only complaint is that the sidewalls (aramid?) flex more than a burlier tire under load which leads to them feeling kind of soft even at higher pressures. My summers are Mich LTX AT2 which are waaaay stiffer quieter and smoother, but I've been able to compensate for the sidewall flex of the Nokian by increasing the damper setting on my Rancho 9000XL rear shocks to get the feel I want when towing.

I'm planning on keeping this 2 tire combo for a while, but if I ever get tired of changing tires, I might try the Falken Wildpeak AT3W on the truck. Reviews are enticing and not having to swap giant ass LT wheels twice a year is also enticing. Actually, when the GY Endurance STs on my trailer age out, I'm almost certainly going to put the Falkens (in LT build) on my trailer for better grip in snow and ice and better durability when towing over gravel and dispersed camping.

Yes, I have chains too, since my post in 2020 I have become more edumacated on Oregon Chain laws regarding towing and when traction control devices are required on the truck and trailer - regardless of what kind of rubber is mounted.

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Time for new shoes for my land cruiser. What’s the score?

It often gets weekly off road use in the Sierra (and coast range) on non-maintained FS roads, but plenty of time of pavement. I use the truck for dragging along an overloaded utility trailer, too. Truck is basically stock, so it can technically use p-metric weight rating. Current summer tires that are toast were c-rated. I use winter tires in winter but will see shoulder season use.

Wildpeak AT3. Such a versatile tire.