Page 27 of 64 FirstFirst ... 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ... LastLast

Thread: Truck Tire Time

Quote Originally Posted by steved View Post
    FWIW....last winter had the ipike rw11s on = didn't like their ability to crush & grip thru built up snow or crud....about the same as I had on Cooper's M+S of ~5yrs ago. Maybe Cooper has worked on it since...y/n? Have some Grabber Arctics on and with the little snow that we've had so far(packed)...they've been an improvement over my previous tires. Will see if these can ace the junk that usually comes between Bangor and ski country...
    Thanks for the input. I don’t think cooper has changed the design. FWIW, I’ve been very happy with the grabber arctics that are made for passenger cars (studdable but w/o studs).

Cheers

Well, due to anything remotely the correct size not being in stock at discount, I ended up with some studded Cooper Discoverer snow tires on the Tundra. First time in 9 years(?) I've run a studded snow tire. We'll see how they compare to a snow flake all-terrain (Have run Duratrac, k02, Toyo Open Country AT & Cooper AT4 3s).

what's the word about mastercraft courser studded tires? there are some very lightly used ones available near me. older tire tech? how would they compare to the newer style of severe snowflake non-studdable AT tires? i live in the mostly rain, sometimes snow and icy road zone with frequent drive time for the cruiser in the snow zone. this time of year, the cruiser is mostly used in the high country. i have no experience running studded tires and generally would not be considering this, except for their price.

Bodywhomper- those are a price point tire, made by Cooper, that generally last 2-3 seasons. Good in snow but short lived- they sell a shit ton of them around here. Your results, Etc...
    "if you plant ice, you're gonna harvest wind..."

Quote Originally Posted by wolfy View Post
    Bodywhomper- those are a price point tire, made by Cooper, that generally last 2-3 seasons. Good in snow but short lived- they sell a shit ton of them around here. Your results, Etc...
    Thanks!

they're $250 for the set with rims mounted (that won't work for me)
    Last edited by bodywhomper; 12-12-2019 at 01:24 AM.

Truck Tire Time

Posted some of this in the I-70 thread, but today I witnessed probably 20+ cars spin out/crash driving in some powdery/slightly wet snow over ice. At least half were pickups/4runners with 4wd and what looked like decent all terrain tires.

Even my f150 with brand new Blizzaks and 400lbs weight in the bed was sliding a bit. I’m almost 100% positive if the cooper at3s (not a fan for snow) I have on during the warm months had been on the truck I would have slid into a wall- it was that slick. Cars just started going sideways on any cambered turn, regardless of how they were driving.

All terrain tires are not a replacement for snow tires in ice and snow. Investment pays off pretty quick

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Maybe, just maybe, your revelation will conquer the epiconic effect.

Doubt it, but, hey, let goobs be goobs.

Just picked up a Chevy Silverado High Country. Love the heated steering wheel and ventilated leather seats!

Question is what all-terrain tires should I get for Saturday trips to ABay?

I want a rugged look, long tread life and good snow traction and have to fit 22" rims.

My friends said not to bother with snow tires, they seem really expensive anyway.

__________________________________________________ ______________________________________

It's possible this post is a caricature of the Epically Ikonic front range drivers detailed in Muggy's post above
    Last edited by oldblue; 12-21-2019 at 06:03 PM.

^^^ get the red ones.

Name:  Comforser-New-Cheap-Colored-Car-Tyre-CF500-CF600-CF700.jpg
Views: 456
Size:  27.7 KB
    "Its not the arrow, its the Indian" - M.Pinto

22" wheels on a pickup truck = get ready for expensive and fragile tires.

Coworker has an Escalade with stock 22s. Never drives off pavement. Burns through tires every 15-20k, at $1000+ every time.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Looking to make a purchase for my 2017 Taco in the next day or two... Options are GY A/T Adventures w / Kevlar and BFG T/A KO2s .. what say the collective?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using TGR Forums mobile app
    Why don't you go practice fallin' down? I'll be there in a minute.

^^^ had the kevlar on taco when new in 2016. They were ok, just replaced at 35k, starting to skate on wet roads this summer. Were good on paved roads, not so good off road or mud.

BFG my vote but I like the tread pattern better for my use pulling camper on dirt / fire roads

Quote Originally Posted by prsboogie View Post
    Looking to make a purchase for my 2017 Taco in the next day or two... Options are GY A/T Adventures w / Kevlar and BFG T/A KO2s .. what say the collective?

I've always run BFG's on my Taco. Just upgraded to a new Tundra and replacing stock tires with same.

Separate topic but Tire Rack has them at almost $100 cheaper than my local tire shop. Any reasons not to buy from .com? I know I'll pay $90 for install but still ahead $300...

Any Nokian dealers near you? Check out the LT-3. Third set of Nokian's for me on my Taco. Two sets of LT-2's now an LT-3. They're the best.

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Pabst View Post
    Any Nokian dealers near you? Check out the LT-3. Third set of Nokian's for me on my Taco. Two sets of LT-2's now an LT-3. They're the best.
    Do you run them all year? These are dedicated snows?

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Murian View Post
    I've always run BFG's on my Taco. Just upgraded to a new Tundra and replacing stock tires with same.

Separate topic but Tire Rack has them at almost $100 cheaper than my local tire shop. Any reasons not to buy from .com? I know I'll pay $90 for install but still ahead $300...
    If there’s a discount or America’s tire near you they’ll price match tire rack

Do you run them all year? These are dedicated snows?

Yup dedicated snows with the approved sidewall stamp. You can get them with or without studs. I do after the second winter. I have a two tire thing going. The LT-3's are fresh this year winter. I'll take them off and put my old snows on for the summer and LT-3's back on next winter and run them to the next winter. Save those for the following summer. Nokians have been very high milage for me, and make a great rain tire after they have worn down some. Certainly could run them year around for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Muggydude View Post
    If there’s a discount or America’s tire near you they’ll price match tire rack
    +1 I used to buy online and shop around for best installation. Now I just find the best online price, talk to Discount Tire when they’re running a special. They always price match and go out of their way to get my business. I’m sold on them, good service and their rebates are fast.

After some research I think I'm going with Hankook Dynapro AT2s. They come in about $350 less and have very similar reviews.

After some research I think I'm going with Hankook Dynapro AT2s. They come in about $350 less and have very similar reviews.

I've have about 30k miles on mine and they're still good.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    22" wheels on a pickup truck = get ready for expensive and fragile tires.

Coworker has an Escalade with stock 22s. Never drives off pavement. Burns through tires every 15-20k, at $1000+ every time.
    We have Nitto Terra Grapplers on stock 22s, great for snow and have not had any issues. Its not our camping rig for off roading but no issues on dirt roads or issues with potholes (had issues w/stock tires). Also get great wear on them, much more than 20k.

I saw a raptor on 22s today. I threw up in my mouth a little bit

Quote Originally Posted by matt View Post
    We have Nitto Terra Grapplers on stock 22s, great for snow and have not had any issues. Its not our camping rig for off roading but no issues on dirt roads or issues with potholes (had issues w/stock tires). Also get great wear on them, much more than 20k.
    That doesn’t make it right.

Quote Originally Posted by jackattack View Post
    That doesn’t make it right.
    ???

dude has 22s and wants a tire w/ good traction. Fits the bill. 22s aren't that uncommon for large SUVs now, this isn't the early 2000s when Cash Money is rapping about 22s. I almost didn't respond because he used the term "ABay" but other than that its a good recommendation.