Check Out Our Shop
Page 65 of 65 FirstFirst ... 60 61 62 63 64 65
Results 1,601 to 1,616 of 1616

Thread: Truck Tire Time

  1. #1601
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Eugenio Oregón
    Posts
    8,458
    Has anyone here run Kumho AT51/AT52?

    I’m sure there are nicer/better AT tires, these happen to be available in a D range index 106 at LT215/75R15. If I go up to a LT235/75R15 I need to replace my wheels with reduced offset due to clearance issues with tire chains. Reviews seems solid for my application, which simply requires good braking on snow and ice and a stiff sidewall, the harsher the ride the better in my case since it’s going on a travel trailer.
    _______________________________________________
    "Strapping myself to a sitski built with 30lb of metal and fibreglass then trying to water ski in it sounds like a stupid idea to me.

    I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

  2. #1602
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    1,963
    Quote Originally Posted by SchralphMacchio View Post
    Has anyone here run Kumho AT51/AT52?

    I’m sure there are nicer/better AT tires, these happen to be available in a D range index 106 at LT215/75R15. If I go up to a LT235/75R15 I need to replace my wheels with reduced offset due to clearance issues with tire chains. Reviews seems solid for my application, which simply requires good braking on snow and ice and a stiff sidewall, the harsher the ride the better in my case since it’s going on a travel trailer.
    I looked at these when I was shopping and didn't come away wow'ed by the reviews. TireRack has the new Falken AT4W in that size/same weight rating for $12 cheaper than the AT51 and the outgoing AT3W $5 cheaper than that. I'd go Falken every day

  3. #1603
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    People's Republic of MN
    Posts
    5,766
    Minnesota certainly has the climate and need for studded tires, but they were outlawed the year I was born - 1971. We have had extremely icy roads here most my life. There are times I've wondered about studded tires, but then just decided to drive like a sane person, and let the maniacs own the ditch.

    My Falken AT3W's have been pretty awesome though.
    Gravity. It's the law.

  4. #1604
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Boonville/Truckee, CA
    Posts
    441
    Quote Originally Posted by SoVT Joey View Post
    I guess the fact that they are just about every plow truck around makes me put them in the winter tire category and very few of them are studded. Hak’s are garbage for plowing compared to duratracs. The road noise thing is most due to the sound screen in the lariats. XL and XLT are very noticeable. The sound screen is amazing.
    There on lots of plow trucks as they are three-peak mountain snowflake (3PMSF) symbol rated. Some commercial uses require tires with this rating for winter.

    Nitto tera grappler(not recon or ridge grappler) and Toyo open country AT3, BFG AT 2 and 3, are all 3 peak rated as well.

    I have duratracks on my grand Cherokee for winter and offroad. I like them as an aggressive at that wont gumb up as easy as most AT’s. I run goodyear silent armor in summer(much quieter especially for higher speed summer driving).

    My next set before next winter will be Toyo AT 3. Have 2 buddies who had good results with them this winter. More sizes in C range and lighter. I hate D or E unless its a 2500 or 3500 truck hauling/towing.

    My .02
    Drink to remember not to forget!
    Fourisight Wines

  5. #1605
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    LV-426
    Posts
    21,256
    Quote Originally Posted by SchralphMacchio View Post
    Has anyone here run Kumho AT51/AT52?

    I’m sure there are nicer/better AT tires, these happen to be available in a D range index 106 at LT215/75R15. If I go up to a LT235/75R15 I need to replace my wheels with reduced offset due to clearance issues with tire chains. Reviews seems solid for my application, which simply requires good braking on snow and ice and a stiff sidewall, the harsher the ride the better in my case since it’s going on a travel trailer.
    The AT52 are part of Kumho current rebate offer ($80 off 4). The AT51 are discontinued and replaced by the 52.

    I just ordered a set of four AT51 for my truck from Amazon, as they are priced cheap right now - - 265/70/17 load range E are $144 ea. I read a bunch of reviews and they're OK - - snow traction seemed decent to good, but there were many complaints of short tread life. For my truck, a 30-40K lifespan is fine, it doesn't see that many miles per year.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

  6. #1606
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    LV-426
    Posts
    21,256
    Scratch that, I got a better deal. Canceling my Amazon order.

    Instead, I got Discount Tire to do a price match on the Kumho HT51, same size and E load range, at $155/ ea. This tire is basically a copy of a Michelin LTX A/S, has a 3PMSF rating, tons of good reviews. And it's on Kumho rebate now. Total for all four installed, after rebate, will be $666.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

  7. #1607
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    9,046
    Time to get new summer tires for my minivan. Non-LT AT tires. We’ve been using the Yokohama geolandar AT tires for years on the van, but I’m seeing the general grabber, toyo open country, and falken wild peak a/t trail are all a little cheaper. But they’re all apparently heavier than the Yokohamas. Anybody have data regarding mpg loss with a heavier tire?

  8. #1608
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Eugenio Oregón
    Posts
    8,458
    How much heavier? Heavier should theoretically mean lost mpg due to higher moment of inertia, primarily this would be felt during acceleration after coming to a full stop or just heading through congestion.
    _______________________________________________
    "Strapping myself to a sitski built with 30lb of metal and fibreglass then trying to water ski in it sounds like a stupid idea to me.

    I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

  9. #1609
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    9,046
    When I started looking online over the weekend, I first saw a customer comment about the generals being heavy and causing them to lose 2-3 mpg. They didn’t provide other details like tire size and what tires they were previously using.

    According to dealer website (discount), the weights range from 27-30#. Not sure what size they’re reporting. I haven’t looked too closely to see if weight by size is listed somewhere.

  10. #1610
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Posts
    5,798
    I’d guess that differences in tread pattern, rubber compounds, and carcass construction would have significantly bigger effects on fuel economy than differences in weight would.

  11. #1611
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Back in Seattle
    Posts
    1,313
    I have falkens on my pilot, they are fine but I get slightly better mileage with my slightly smaller conti Viking contact snows. I briefly had a set of terrain contacts on my q7 before it got totaled and I think they might be better for mileage and rain but worse in the snow.

  12. #1612
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    LV-426
    Posts
    21,256
    Quote Originally Posted by J. Barron DeJong View Post
    I’d guess that differences in tread pattern, rubber compounds, and carcass construction would have significantly bigger effects on fuel economy than differences in weight would.
    I'd agree with this. But - - a brand new tire that is the exact same brand, model, and size as the old worn out tire will get worse mileage because it's new, full depth tread, grippier, etc.

    If staying with the same size and generally the same style (all season, highway tread, AT, whatever) then I wouldn't expect a gigantic difference.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

  13. #1613
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Posts
    5,798
    Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    I'd agree with this. But - - a brand new tire that is the exact same brand, model, and size as the old worn out tire will get worse mileage because it's new, full depth tread, grippier, etc.

    If staying with the same size and generally the same style (all season, highway tread, AT, whatever) then I wouldn't expect a gigantic difference.
    I think my point is just that if you’re trying to figure out which of the new tires you’re considering is going to provide better fuel economy I wouldn’t assume that looking a tire weights is going to be a good guide.

  14. #1614
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    LV-426
    Posts
    21,256
    Quote Originally Posted by J. Barron DeJong View Post
    I think my point is just that if you’re trying to figure out which of the new tires you’re considering is going to provide better fuel economy I wouldn’t assume that looking a tire weights is going to be a good guide.
    Agreed.

    There are tires marketed as "low rolling resistance", but I don't know how much real world difference there is. Something with a crazy high tread wear rating is probably a harder rubber and will produce better MPG, probably at the expense of grip. (Michelin Defender comes to mind.)
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

  15. #1615
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    9,046
    The weight comment that I saw threw me off, which is why i posted the question.

  16. #1616
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Wasatch
    Posts
    7,304
    Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    Time to get new summer tires for my minivan. Non-LT AT tires. We’ve been using the Yokohama geolandar AT tires for years on the van, but I’m seeing the general grabber, toyo open country, and falken wild peak a/t trail are all a little cheaper. But they’re all apparently heavier than the Yokohamas. Anybody have data regarding mpg loss with a heavier tire?
    My toyo open country AT3 have been great on my forester. Not sure on mileage but seems down a bit. Biggest thing is how quiet they are for an off road tire


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

    So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....


    Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

    8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

    2021/2022 (13/15)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •