Page 40 of 65 FirstFirst ... 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 ... LastLast
Results 976 to 1,000 of 1602

Thread: Truck Tire Time

I may need to replace the tires on my old pickup soon. They're not holding balance, am thinking it may be a combination of internal issues (belts?) and just plain age (6 years). There's about 5/32-6/32" tread depth left.

I want to spend as little as possible, as the plan is to replace the whole truck by the end of the year.

Anyone here used the Goodyear Wrangler Authority tires? They're sold only through Walmart. Reviews seems surprisingly good. $120/each in the size and load range I need.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Goodyear-...-Tire/11983159

They also have a Goodyear Wrangler Trailmark, $104/each. Reviews not as good.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Goodyear-...dingMethod=wpa

Either seems likely to be a better cheap choice than a generic Chinese brand.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

RE KO2s vs Wildpeaks. I've heard a lot of good things regarding the wildpeaks. Usually a couple hundred dollars cheaper than a BFG or duratrac too

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    I may need to replace the tires on my old pickup soon. They're not holding balance, am thinking it may be a combination of internal issues (belts?) and just plain age (6 years). There's about 5/32-6/32" tread depth left.

I want to spend as little as possible, as the plan is to replace the whole truck by the end of the year.

Anyone here used the Goodyear Wrangler Authority tires? They're sold only through Walmart. Reviews seems surprisingly good. $120/each in the size and load range I need.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Goodyear-...-Tire/11983159

They also have a Goodyear Wrangler Trailmark, $104/each. Reviews not as good.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Goodyear-...dingMethod=wpa

Either seems likely to be a better cheap choice than a generic Chinese brand.
    For that price it may not even be worth the time for the savings, but you may be able to find a cheap used set of take-offs on facebook or CL to get you through. 16s are probably kind of scarce these days though.

Quote Originally Posted by snowaddict91 View Post
    For that price it may not even be worth the time for the savings, but you may be able to find a cheap used set of take-offs on facebook or CL to get you through. 16s are probably kind of scarce these days though.
    I've been looking at FB and CL, nothing has shown up recently that would be worth it, adding in mounting cost too (around $80-100 for 4 locally). If a set of nearly-new takeoffs showed up for ~$200, I'd grab them.

FWIW, Walmart tire mount pricing is cheaper if you buy the tires from Walmart. They surcharge if you buy them elsewhere.
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

No k02 experience. I had nitto grappler terras on my last gladiator (overland). Really liked the tires except not excellent on snow/winter conditions. Traded in for a Mojave yesterday with falken ats. Tires are great and don’t plan to replace them anytime soon. Grapplers were fantastic on road but not great in snow. Think the falkens will have much better grip on snow and dicey surfaces. Drive feel is a little more mushy - tbd if that’s suspension (Mojave has ridiculously good shocks compared to overland) but I also suspect the sidewalls aren’t as stout and allow more body roll.

In any event, if performance on snow is a priority I would probably steer away from the grappler terras and go K02 or falken ats. Toyos another option.

Before anyone rips on the gladiator - don’t care. Love the truck and compliments my x6m very nicely for my purposes .

Quote Originally Posted by MD12 View Post
    Before anyone rips on the gladiator...compliments my x6m very nicely for my purposes .
    Oh, the gladiator isn't the car we are laughing at.

Quote Originally Posted by oldblue View Post
    Oh, the gladiator isn't the car we are laughing at.
    Ha fair enough. Douchey comment by me 😂.

bump. this is probably buried in this thread somewhere, but when is it recommended to get new tires? current tread is at 6/32 or 8/32 left. about 2/32 left before reaching the wear bars. vehicle (land cruiser) gets used off road (i live in a rural area near FS roads and trails)

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    bump. this is probably buried in this thread somewhere, but when is it recommended to get new tires? current tread is at 6/32 or 8/32 left. about 2/32 left before reaching the wear bars. vehicle (land cruiser) gets used off road (i live in a rural area near FS roads and trails)
    IMHO -- for street use:
    Winter use -- replace at 6/32.
    Summer use (as in wearing out the last remaining tread, and if you live somewhere it doesn't rain) -- wear it down to 2/32 or 3/32, replace before rainy/winter season arrives. If you live where it rains, 4/32.

If you're doing a lot of offroad, you might want to replace sooner vs later, just for traction.

Wear bars are at 2/32, which is considered worn out.

IMHO -- for street use:
    Winter use -- replace at 6/32.
    Summer use (as in wearing out the last remaining tread, and if you live somewhere it doesn't rain) -- wear it down to 2/32 or 3/32, replace before rainy/winter season arrives. If you live where it rains, 4/32.

If you're doing a lot of offroad, you might want to replace sooner vs later, just for traction.

Wear bars are at 2/32, which is considered worn out.
    Thanks. i was looking for a rule of thumb. Now i feel like i misread my gage regarding thread left before hitting a wear bar.

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    Thanks. i was looking for a rule of thumb. Now i feel like i misread my gage regarding thread left before hitting a wear bar.
    Maybe, maybe not -- some tires have additional wear indicators, or tread blocks that show differently as the tire wears down.

I'd also note that it would seem a worn tire would be more susceptible to punctures or cuts. I don't have any data to back that up for truck tires, but my experience on motorcycles has been that trying to get the last bit of use out of a tire while nowhere near pavement or cell service is a false economy.

Sent from my SM-G892A using TGR Forums mobile app

Maybe, maybe not -- some tires have additional wear indicators, or tread blocks that show differently as the tire wears down.
    I double checked. 4/32” left before reaching wear indicators.

Quote Originally Posted by anotherVTskibum View Post
    I'd also note that it would seem a worn tire would be more susceptible to punctures or cuts. I don't have any data to back that up for truck tires, but my experience on motorcycles has been that trying to get the last bit of use out of a tire while nowhere near pavement or cell service is a false economy.

Sent from my SM-G892A using TGR Forums mobile app
    I’ve kinda been there. 9 years ago, I tore a sidewall on a fwd minivan with worn all seasons on a fs road/trail(?) on July 4th. About half mile from faucherie lake. Wife, twin toddlers, and 7 year old with me. Limped out on the donut. My tire guy laughed, a lot.

I'd say run em through the fall (with a good spare) and put fresh rubber on for winter if it was me.

Just ordered a set of General Grabber ATX for my AWD 1/2ton van. Looking forward to trying them out. The Cooper HT3 on there now weren't great in snow, and are pretty loud on the highway.

Discounttiredirect was running a big sale, $110 instant off, plus $60 rebate if you use their credit card, plus $100 General rebate, can't argue with $270 off a set of tires.

Gonna need to replace the Cooper ATWs on my 4runner before next winter. It was a pretty perfect tire for my needs in the PNW with mostly dry roads until you get up to pass level... where it could be about as bad as it gets. And they performed far better than could be expected from a non-winter only tire. But, alas, Cooper has discontinued the ATW because of premature wear issues (likely the reason for such good winter performance) even though they have lasted the full 50k for me and my light foot. Gonna run them all summer and swap them out in the fall.

My commute to work is 7 miles RT, so i can afford to place a large emphasis on winter driving, but full on snows are not an option at this time. Also do a fair amount of summer road tripping and fire/logging road driving. What have folks been happy with lately for a winter oriented AT tire?

I don't know how they compare to others models but I like the BFGoodrich All-Terrain T/A KO2 that I have on my Frontier. You can find them discounted few times a year at Costco. This is the main reason I got their membership card (my love for the Lagavulin 16 is the other^^).

Quote Originally Posted by californiagrown View Post
    Gonna need to replace the Cooper ATWs on my 4runner before next winter. It was a pretty perfect tire for my needs in the PNW with mostly dry roads until you get up to pass level... where it could be about as bad as it gets. And they performed far better than could be expected from a non-winter only tire. But, alas, Cooper has discontinued the ATW because of premature wear issues (likely the reason for such good winter performance) even though they have lasted the full 50k for me and my light foot. Gonna run them all summer and swap them out in the fall.

My commute to work is 7 miles RT, so i can afford to place a large emphasis on winter driving, but full on snows are not an option at this time. Also do a fair amount of summer road tripping and fire/logging road driving. What have folks been happy with lately for a winter oriented AT tire?

Nitto Terra Grappler G2 have been great on my Grand Cherokee for very similar use. (my particular size doesn't have the 3peak designation but I think that's a fairly arbitrary classification since most sizes do)

Can't comment on life span yet but I'd probably replace them at about 30k anyway since I find tires drop off in performance around then.

Previously had good experience with General Grabber AT2s on a Tacoma. Although one set seemed tough to keep balanced.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Gonna need to replace the Cooper ATWs ...
    What have folks been happy with lately for a winter oriented AT tire?
    I have zero miles on these, but I'm going to be using the Nokian Rotiiva AT as a winter tire. Started a thread on it here with link to the tire, if you want to consider it.

https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...yone-here-used

I recently put a set of the new Toyo Open Country A/T 3s on my 87 4Runner. Great road (paved and dirt) characteristics on dry, so far. No chance to try rain, yet.

To be continued...
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

For an AT the Wildpeak has been around but Yokohama now has an X-AT to look at. The KM3 MTs have been fine spring-fall but with dedicated snows...am weighing the AT savings.
    Last edited by steved; 06-16-2021 at 11:13 AM.

Truck Tire Time

Thought I’d run this by the collective.. roughed up the sidewall on two tires. Have discount tire certificates (ins) for free replacement. My question is; tires have 25,000 miles on them and about 35-40% life left. Should I buy the other two out of pocket and keep the set of 4 straight on an awd? Just suck it up, now?
    Leaning yes

Quote Originally Posted by CascadeLuke View Post
    Thought I’d run this by the collective.. roughed up the sidewall on two tires. Have discount tire certificates (ins) for free replacement. My question is; tires have 25,000 miles on them and about 35-40% life left. Should I buy the other two out of pocket and keep the set of 4 straight on an awd? Just suck it up, now?
    Leaning yes
    I'm with you - and they aren't going to get any cheaper/more available.

Going back - I have Falken Wildpeak AT's on my Crosstrek (17") and my Ram 1500 (20"), and have to say I'm quite impressed by their feel & performance so far. The Ram tires were used - about 1250 miles, but I really like how quiet for an AT tire they are on my Crosstrek, and for $600, how could I go wrong? They drive much like a road tire as well. Time will tell once the weather turns, but honestly, we haven't even seen rain in MN in what seems like months. I guess the air quality is bad enough to need AT tires though.
    Gravity. It's the law.

Quote Originally Posted by Viva View Post
    I recently put a set of the new Toyo Open Country A/T 3s on my 87 4Runner. Great road (paved and dirt) characteristics on dry, so far. No chance to try rain, yet.

To be continued...
    Those are really popular here in JP.

Anyone have any experience with rain tires? I’m thinking my next set of summer tires might as well be rain tires.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Has anyone here run the Cooper Discoverer ST Maxx, specifically in winter? I'm currently running Duratracs on my 01 Tacoma and been super happy with them but they're nearing the end of their life and I just got a sidewall gash on a trail that's led to a very minor slow leak. I'm looking at the ST Maxx since it comes in a perfect size for what I'm looking for (255/85/16) vs getting Duratracs again but haven't found a ton of info on their winter performance. I don't drive my truck a ton in the winter so I don't have a good enough use case for dedicated winter tires, but I need them to be okay getting to trailheads and the ski hill on shitty icy/snowy roads. They don't have the same snow rating as the Duratrac but I'm not sure how much that really matters - it's an A/T tire after all so nothing's gonna be amazingly grippy
    Quote Originally Posted by other grskier View Post
    well, in the three years i've been skiing i bet i can ski most anything those 'pro's' i listed can, probably