Page 8 of 24 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast
Results 176 to 200 of 589

Thread: Truck Tire Time

  1. #176
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    4,220
    ^^ Are they heavier?

  2. #177
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    PRB
    Posts
    21,084
    Quote Originally Posted by kai_ski View Post
    After getting stuck at BBI17, I bought a set of Duratrac's for my truck. They are a significant improvement in all conditions over the OEM Michelin LTX. IMO the truck rides better at the same or higher tire pressure, with only a minor increase in road noise. Looking forward to plenty of FS roads this summer with the camper.

    Michelin should be shot for marketing the LTX as an A/T tire. Complete garbage in mud, ice and snow.
    Quote Originally Posted by mecc69 View Post
    First thing we did when we bought our used Tacoma was ditch the Michelin LTX for Dynapro ATM.
    Interesting. I was considering the LTX for my next tire because it gets good reviews and supposedly lasts a long time. But after reading these posts, I just looked at tirerack, and it seems that there are two LTXs, the "Highway/All-Season" M/S version, and the On/Off-Road "AT" version. I was looking at the M/S version, knowing that I would be sacrificing some snow traction in exchange for much longer life and maybe better mileage? Seems like the M/S version is very highly rated, and the AT version not so much.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin

  3. #178
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Der Town
    Posts
    6,387
    Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Interesting. I was considering the LTX for my next tire because it gets good reviews and supposedly lasts a long time. But after reading these posts, I just looked at tirerack, and it seems that there are two LTXs, the "Highway/All-Season" M/S version, and the On/Off-Road "AT" version. I was looking at the M/S version, knowing that I would be sacrificing some snow traction in exchange for much longer life and maybe better mileage? Seems like the M/S version is very highly rated, and the AT version not so much.
    All I know is that driving Kai's truck with the LTX reminded me of a shitty 2wd car with bald tires. It was really bad. 4WD diesel truck with an Alaskan Camper should not have traction issues on a ski area access road that is plowed.

    Leavenworth Skier gives his endorsement to the Duratrac.

  4. #179
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    NCW
    Posts
    1,993
    Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Interesting. I was considering the LTX for my next tire because it gets good reviews and supposedly lasts a long time. But after reading these posts, I just looked at tirerack, and it seems that there are two LTXs, the "Highway/All-Season" M/S version, and the On/Off-Road "AT" version. I was looking at the M/S version, knowing that I would be sacrificing some snow traction in exchange for much longer life and maybe better mileage? Seems like the M/S version is very highly rated, and the AT version not so much.
    Looking at the image of the ltx ms2 on tirerack, it appears to have siped tread blocks. That alone should make it more capable in slick conditions, but it probably won't help in deep/wet snow or mud. The ltx at2 has no siping whatsoever, and the lugs are not deep enough to be considered off-road capable.

    For my purposes, I don't think I'll ever purchase another set of "all-season" tires without the mountain/snowflake symbol. I'd rather shell out $1000 every 30k than suffer through poor handling and control for 65k miles. Seems like cheap insurance to keep the rig out of the ditch.

  5. #180
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Der Town
    Posts
    6,387
    Quote Originally Posted by kai_ski View Post
    but it probably won't help in deep/wet snow or mud. The ltx at2 has no siping whatsoever, and the lugs are not deep enough to be considered off-road capable.
    I remember the couple times you drove up my driveway this winter with the LTX and your tire looked like a white donut - the tread pattern doesn't seem to clear itself at lower speed which is a huge problem for driving in deeper snow or mud.

  6. #181
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Moose, Iowa
    Posts
    5,818
    We have the ltx ms2 and it is a great tire wet and dry. Really good in snow for an all season but definitely not a snow tire. I read in a tech article somewhere that the silica enhanced tread is formulated for 42 degree rain. We have also used them off road on the occasions we get to the San Juans and they work fine for low and slow.

  7. #182
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Wenatchee
    Posts
    7,704
    Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Interesting. I was considering the LTX for my next tire because it gets good reviews and supposedly lasts a long time. But after reading these posts, I just looked at tirerack, and it seems that there are two LTXs, the "Highway/All-Season" M/S version, and the On/Off-Road "AT" version. I was looking at the M/S version, knowing that I would be sacrificing some snow traction in exchange for much longer life and maybe better mileage? Seems like the M/S version is very highly rated, and the AT version not so much.
    Duratracs are great tires but unless you plan on driving in a lot of deep mud save the money and buy the Dynapro ATM. Better snow performance than Duratracs in my opinion. I've owned both. Quieter than Duratracs on pavement too.

  8. #183
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Your Mom's House
    Posts
    6,340
    Quote Originally Posted by AaronWright View Post
    Duratracs are great tires but unless you plan on driving in a lot of deep mud save the money and buy the Dynapro ATM. Better snow performance than Duratracs in my opinion. I've owned both. Quieter than Duratracs on pavement too.
    I agree, and disagree. I've also had both on my truck and both are great tires for sure.
    Snowpacked: equal
    Ice: Dynapro slightly better
    Deep snow: Duratrac better
    Wet: equal
    Dry: traction equal, Dynapro quieter
    Mud: Duratrac better
    Offroad: Duratrac better
    Wear: not a fair comparision as the Duratrac's tread is nearly twice as deep in the sizes I owned, however due to that the Duratrac looks like it'll last longer
    Price: Dynapro

    For Danno, I know his use well enough to agree the Dynapro is a better tire for him. However it may not be the better tire for everybody.
    Last edited by adrenalated; 04-04-2017 at 12:52 PM.

  9. #184
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Wenatchee
    Posts
    7,704
    Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    I agree, and disagree. I've also had both on my truck and both are great tires for sure.
    Snowpacked: equal
    Ice: Dynapro slightly better
    Deep snow: Duratrac better
    Wet: equal
    Dry: traction equal, Dynapro quieter
    Mud: Duratrac better
    Offroad: Duratrac better
    Wear: not a fair comparision as the Duratrac's tread is nearly twice as deep in the sizes I owned, however due to that the Duratrac looks like it'll last longer
    Price: Dynapro

    For Danno, I know his use well enough to agree the Dynapro is a better tire for him. However it may not be the better tire for everybody.
    Dry:
    This is fair, and I agree.

  10. #185
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    PRB
    Posts
    21,084
    Quote Originally Posted by kai_ski View Post
    For Danno, I know his use well enough to agree the Dynapro is a better tire for him. However it may not be the better tire for everybody.
    One reason I am considering the LTX M/S, because while I *like* to think I need a burly snow tire, the reality is that most of my driving is on dry or wet roads, even if most of the miles I do are trips to the mountains and back. The road to WP is usually dry until somewhere around the Jones/Butler turn, so it seems like a burly 4wd vehicle with ok snow-performance tires would be fine. And I'm fucking tired of getting 30-40k out of a set of expensive as fuck tires. A few people on the Sequoia forums have reported long tread life on the LTX.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin

  11. #186
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Moose, Iowa
    Posts
    5,818
    They definitely will last you a long time. They aren't the best on hard ice but they are predictable at least. On snow and packed snow they are pretty good. Not like Xice3 good though. I wish I knew how many miles we have on ours but my record keeping isn't always the best. At least 50k but probably more like 60k bought them in 2011. Tons of tread left.

  12. #187
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    1,062
    I ran the previous gen LTX M/S's and really liked them.

    Keep in mind that OEM tires aren't the same as the replacement versions, even if they have the same name. Often there are trade-offs to make them get better fuel economy.

  13. #188
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    NCW
    Posts
    1,993
    For Danno, I know his use well enough to agree the Dynapro is a better tire for him. However it may not be the better tire for everybody.
    uh, yeah I didn't say that.

    I think you'll be fine on the ms2, however, something with a snowflake would be my preference for a car that gets driven to the ski hill. The dynapro has a 50k mile rating.

    No one should be on the ltx AT2 if there's any chance they'll be in ice or snow.

  14. #189
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    4,220

    Truck Tire Time

    Second happy winter (California) with the cooper at-w on a land cruiser. I often run with an open differential and have never had traction problems with acceleration, cornering, or braking. I drive appropriately conservative in snow/icy conditions with a heavier SUV full of family. We run the tires all year long. About to spend a week on the unpaved roads/trails in Death Valley with likelihood of snow at the passes in the park. Not expecting issues.
    Last edited by bodywhomper; 04-04-2017 at 03:14 PM.

  15. #190
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Couloirfornia
    Posts
    8,669
    Danno, you have a Costco in B-town, yeah? Buy the p-rated or c-rated KO2s and call it good. Long treadlife, excellent reviews, and better than average traction in snow and ice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

  16. #191
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    AK
    Posts
    609
    Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    One reason I am considering the LTX M/S, because while I *like* to think I need a burly snow tire, the reality is that most of my driving is on dry or wet roads, even if most of the miles I do are trips to the mountains and back. The road to WP is usually dry until somewhere around the Jones/Butler turn, so it seems like a burly 4wd vehicle with ok snow-performance tires would be fine. And I'm fucking tired of getting 30-40k out of a set of expensive as fuck tires. A few people on the Sequoia forums have reported long tread life on the LTX.
    I ran the ATMs on my 08 Tacoma while living the Seattle area and they were a great compromise between dry/wet road manners and off-road and snow capability. They were very quiet and smooth-running until about 60-65k miles, then hummed a bit till about 70k miles when I decided that 1/4" tread was a little less than I liked. Mileage remained unchanged (18-20mpg) from my slick-as-pucks OEM Dunlop tires. P load range was barely adequate for a fully-loaded 4x4 long-bed dual cab tacoma but rode nicely in town.

  17. #192
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    PRB
    Posts
    21,084
    Quote Originally Posted by LightRanger View Post
    Danno, you have a Costco in B-town, yeah? Buy the p-rated or c-rated KO2s and call it good. Long treadlife, excellent reviews, and better than average traction in snow and ice.
    I do, though I'm a Discount Tire guy (but price match is possible). I'm not ready to buy, still have maybe 10k left on current tires. Last I checked, though, the bfgs in my size were ridonkulously expensive.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin

  18. #193
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    OR
    Posts
    1,409
    For next tire purchase I am down to Cooper ATW, Falken AT3W, the Nokian Rotiiva Plus, or maybe the BFG KO2. Had a set of the older KOs in the past and it was not a good experience. Need something in an E load. On goodyear AT adventure kevlars now and they are just okay. Good treadwear but not that great in snow.

  19. #194
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    PRB
    Posts
    21,084
    FWIW, I had a Nokian truck tire, now discontinued, something like the Vatiiva?, on my Frontier. It had good traction but was toast in 35k miles.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin

  20. #195
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Couloirfornia
    Posts
    8,669
    Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    I do, though I'm a Discount Tire guy (but price match is possible). I'm not ready to buy, still have maybe 10k left on current tires. Last I checked, though, the bfgs in my size were ridonkulously expensive.
    Yeah, they're not cheap, but treadwear is excellent.

    Quote Originally Posted by klauss View Post
    For next tire purchase I am down to Cooper ATW, Falken AT3W, the Nokian Rotiiva Plus, or maybe the BFG KO2. Had a set of the older KOs in the past and it was not a good experience. Need something in an E load. On goodyear AT adventure kevlars now and they are just okay. Good treadwear but not that great in snow.
    I have ATWs in load range E on the 4Runner. As does bodywhomper on his Landcruiser. Excellent results. Road noise is really reasonable, traction is excellent in all sorts of crap conditions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

  21. #196
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Wenatchee
    Posts
    7,704
    Quote Originally Posted by LightRanger View Post
    Yeah, they're not cheap, but treadwear is excellent.



    I have ATWs in load range E on the 4Runner. As does bodywhomper on his Landcruiser. Excellent results. Road noise is really reasonable, traction is excellent in all sorts of crap conditions.
    Why don't you use a "C" rated tire on the 4Runner? It seems like a better choice.

  22. #197
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Couloirfornia
    Posts
    8,669
    It definitely would be, but the ATW doesn't come in a C rating for the OEM tire size. They only have two C-rated size options. 4R is primarily my wife's daily driver. When I was tire shopping 18 months ago, I gave her the option of the ATW or the KO2 (which I would've gotten in C). She chose the ATW because it looked less-aggressive. \_(ツ)_/

    But yeah, if the ATW had come in a C, I definitely would've chosen that. I didn't want a p-rated tire due to offroad durability concerns.

    The E-rating may come in handy if we pick up a travel trailer in the next year or so, which is possible. But even then, it'd probably be a light enough trailer that C-rated tires would be fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

  23. #198
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    PRB
    Posts
    21,084
    I'm a tire JONG. Can someone explain the different ratings, and what they mean, what the benefits/tradeoffs are? I don't really understand Aaron's question.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin

  24. #199
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Couloirfornia
    Posts
    8,669
    Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    I'm a tire JONG. Can someone explain the different ratings, and what they mean, what the benefits/tradeoffs are? I don't really understand Aaron's question.
    https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiret....jsp?techid=55
    http://www.americastire.com/learn/load-range-load-index
    http://www.trucktrend.com/how-to/tow...-load-ratings/
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

  25. #200
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    LV-426
    Posts
    15,678
    Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    I'm a tire JONG. Can someone explain the different ratings, and what they mean, what the benefits/tradeoffs are? I don't really understand Aaron's question.
    http://www.worktruckonline.com/artic...d-ratings.aspx

    In brief, don't buy a D or E rated tire for anything other than a 3/4- or 1-ton (or heavier) truck. They're heavier, they cost more, they ride worse. If you feel you need a LT-rated tire on a 1/2-ton or lighter vehicle (i.e. every 4WD and crossover that isn't a Suburban 2500 or Excursion), then buy a C rated tire.

    Note that a load range C tire may require higher PSI than a P-metric tire, to carry the same load.

    A load range C tire is supposedly tougher than a P-metric tire for offroad use. In my experience, I have not found that to be the case. IMHO, D and E load range tires for offroad on light vehicles do not work well -- the stiffer carcass on those tires does not air down well for offroad use. If you aren't airing down significantly, you aren't really using that 4x4 in such tough offroad conditions anyway, so stick with a C or P-metric tire.

    I'm sure someone will disagree vehemently with me on this. YMMV.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •