Page 6 of 65 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Truck Tire Time

I've got the new rotiiva at plus Light truck (10 ply) on my ford explorer. I've had blizzaks, studded mastercraft courser msr's and studded glacier grip 2's, michelin's latitude x ice, and most every winter tire out there. These nokian rotiiva's kill it on everything except stopping on slick wet ice. not advertised as a true winter tire, but they work pretty damn well. Very happy with the purchase. Just got me through the latest tahoe storm. Only thing that stopped me was low clearance on the explorer. Only time I had noticably poor stopping was tonight at the bottom of an off ramp where there was glare ice with water running across it. great tire.

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    So other than the OP I didn't see much talk of the Yokahoma Geolander A/T. It's the second best rated tire on tirerack.com and gets great reviews for snow: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/survey....jsp?type=ORAT

Any personal experience?
    I recently got a pair of the new Geolander G015. 275/70/18 on a Silverado. I'm no tire nerd, but these have been great in snow so far.

Replaced Toyo AT's that came on the truck, those were the worst tires I've ever owned.

Maybe a stupid question, but I am about to be a very big truck owner. F350 7.3L super cab/long-bed (not a dually) with a big ass Lance slide in camper and hauling a trailer sometimes. Gonna be carrying some weight on this thing, but still don't want to give up snow and dirt traction as I will be driving a lot of dirt and mountain passes in CO and sometimes without the camper. I've spent two decades on BFG AT's on my Tacoma and wouldn't mind just throwing some of those on there if they can handle the weight but have a sneaking suspicion that they won't be sufficient.

So what tire would work best for this application?

Quote Originally Posted by ULLRismyco-pilot View Post
    Maybe a stupid question, but I am about to be a very big truck owner. F350 7.3L super cab/long-bed (not a dually) with a big ass Lance slide in camper and hauling a trailer sometimes. Gonna be carrying some weight on this thing, but still don't want to give up snow and dirt traction as I will be driving a lot of dirt and mountain passes in CO and sometimes without the camper. I've spent two decades on BFG AT's on my Tacoma and wouldn't mind just throwing some of those on there if they can handle the weight but have a sneaking suspicion that they won't be sufficient.

E rated Duratracs seem popular around here. I'm in a 3/4 ton Chevy with a 2000lb Bigfoot (when loaded) and quite happy with traction. Some of the E rated versions have a 3750lb load capacity, which should more than cover your total GVW.

Cooper AT/W's have E load ratings options too.

Quote Originally Posted by The Tortoise View Post
    Cooper AT/W's have E load ratings options too.
    Either way, look at the spec sheet for the tire, e-rated tires have some variation in load capacity depending on the size.

ST/Maxx comes in E range, too... similar to Duratrac.

Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    ST/Maxx comes in E range, too... similar to Duratrac.
    Big thing like I said is check the actual load rating of the tire you're buying and then look at the bed payload and tongue weight you're experiencing with your camper and whatever it is you're hauling.

Depending on what you haul with the camper, upgrading to a dually could make sense... a tire blowout is bad.

Cooper AT3 E rated in 285/75/16 are 3,750 per tire. One of the reasons they are on my van which comes in right around 10k wet.

Almost bought those... but decided that I was afraid of the single layer sidewall for my intended use. Otherwise a great looking tire.

I didn't think the Cooper Discoverer At3 was very good in snow. Not terrible, but worse than general grabbers I had on multiple vehicles prior. Bucked up and bought duratracs this fall even tho the coopers had a lot of life left. Totally glad I did, way better in both wet and dry snow, and more predictable when they do break loose. Best tire I've used. The coopers were good on dry and wet freeways and dry dirt roads, not very impressive in nastier off-road conditions

Quote Originally Posted by claymond View Post
    Bucked up and bought duratracs this fall even tho the coopers had a lot of life left. Totally glad I did, way better in both wet and dry snow, and more predictable when they do break loose. Best tire I've used.
    I too worship at the temple of our almighty lord and savior Duratrac.

Quote Originally Posted by DIYSteve View Post
    CR gave Nokian Rotiiva middling marks, only "fair" in ice braking but good dry braking rating
    is that the rotiiva plus they tested or the older model? do they test the cooper ATW? fair any better?

Anybody have input on the Toyo Open Country AT2?

They seem to have good ratings, particularly on the heavy diesel rigs. Priced about $50/tire below Duratrac. 65000-mile guarantee. Larger sizes have deeper tread and deep-scalloped shoulders and plenty of siping. 18" diameter are rated 4k+ lbs. Properly inflated, that's a good margin of safety on a 10-12k lb rig.

Quote Originally Posted by kai_ski View Post
    Anybody have input on the Toyo Open Country AT2?

They seem to have good ratings, particularly on the heavy diesel rigs. Priced about $50/tire below Duratrac. 65000-mile guarantee. Larger sizes have deeper tread and deep-scalloped shoulders and plenty of siping. 18" diameter are rated 4k+ lbs. Properly inflated, that's a good margin of safety on a 10-12k lb rig.
    My FIL has them on a truck, they seem much better than the old Toyo AT but still not a Duratrac???

cooper STT max FTW

shouldn't tires at least have the mountain snowflake symbol to be mentioned here

Quote Originally Posted by Leavenworth Skier View Post
    My FIL has them on a truck, they seem much better than the old Toyo AT but still not a Duratrac???
    Accept no substitute

That's a big ass truck setup. Especially coming from a Tacoma....

Quote Originally Posted by kai_ski View Post
    Accept no substitute
    I don't think the Toyo AT2 have the mountain snowflake either.

Quote Originally Posted by t-the-east View Post
    That's a big ass truck setup. Especially coming from a Tacoma....
    Keeping the Taco for a daily driver.

Keeping the Taco for a daily driver.
    Is it legal in colorado to DD anything else? Other than a rally spec STI or audi avant.

Quote Originally Posted by klauss View Post
    is that the rotiiva plus they tested or the older model? do they test the cooper ATW? fair any better?
    I have the newer Rotiiva, and they stop just fine on ice. There is a lot of siping in the tread, although I do not know what the older ones look like. Real world stopping on slimy ice and hills is just short of studded tire performance.

Having used Duratracs on a couple different vehicles, I can say the Dynapro ATM gives up little or anything to the Duratrac in anything but deep mud. I found them to have fantastic winter traction. Snowflake symbol. I think they may be a little better on packed snow and icey roads. Very nice siping. Quieter and less expensive. Made in Korea by real Koreans.

Quote Originally Posted by Leavenworth Skier View Post
    Is it legal in colorado to DD anything else? Other than a rally spec STI or audi avant.
    Pretty much, it is a '98 and just won't die. Too much miles, rust and dents to be resalable so figure I will just drive it into the ground. It might outlast me.

I don't drive cars much. Wife has an outback but wants a new Taco