Page 37 of 65 FirstFirst ... 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 ... LastLast

Thread: Truck Tire Time

^^^ Load range and location?
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    ^^^ Load range and location?
    Summit County CO. Not sure on load range but they came off a new Tacoma.

Thanks. If stock tire on Tacoma, it'll be a P-metric tire (sidewall will say P265/75 R 16). I can't use those on my truck - needs E range.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by Shorty_J View Post
    Those of you who like the ltx m/s, I found these tires from Kumho that look like ripoffs of that design and are similarly spec'd but a lot cheaper...

https://kumhotire.ca/en-ca/global/ti...291&iditem=100

I ordered a set and will report back here later.

I had the at 51 on my truck and they were good in the winter their first year but less so as they wear a bit... but I've been happy with them in the dry and dirt roads so I thought I'd try these on my Ford Escape.

Sent from my SM-A505W using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by funkendrenchman View Post
    I’m gonna wager a bet that there’s no way they last as long as the Michelins. Report back in 60k miles.
    This. Kumho's business model is copying known treads and selling them for less. Which often means a cheaper compound. I've burned through a set of all season Kumho's in 25k. I'll never forget driving out of the tire store with more expensive Conti's on the car after swapping out the Kumho's and being blown away by how much I could feel difference in grip...
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    This. Kumho's business model is copying known treads and selling them for less. Which often means a cheaper compound. I've burned through a set of all season Kumho's in 25k. I'll never forget driving out of the tire store with more expensive Conti's on the car after swapping out the Kumho's and being blown away by how much I could feel difference in grip...
    duh brand new tires vs worn-out ones

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    Thanks. If stock tire on Tacoma, it'll be a P-metric tire (sidewall will say P265/75 R 16). I can't use those on my truck - needs E range.
    On the subject of E rated tires, I drive a tundra but will not ever do a P tire again.

I had these Bridgestone revo 2 in the 265/65/17 size and still had 6/32 on them, properly inflated with a full load in the bed and suffered a pass rear blowout on i15 at 65mph during rush hour! Thankfully no accident resulting.

I put the spare on (a harrowing experience with minivans careening by at speed) and rolled over to discount tire and 1100$ later I continued down to the desert with the BFG ko2, never to fear a blowout again, even at 65 on a desert dirt road.

Given the use of the truck - mountains, deserts, river trips, moto hauling, etc, an E or LT rated tire is good insurance to stay safe.

I haven’t put my studded duratracs on my super duty this year, I have been running Ridge Grapplers 35x12.5 F range 12 ply and they seem to go anywhere. Fairly impressed.

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    That has not been my experience with my AT51's on my truck. I'd have to check my mileages to know for sure but I'm pretty sure I've put 30-40,000km on them since I put them on in may 2018 and I still have 7-8/32nds on all 4 tires... I think they started at 13/32nds.

This includes a decent amount of time on crappy forest service roads for summer rafting, and towing a small trailer for camping.

Goal: ski in the 2018/19 season

Time for summer tires on my 2016 Chevy Colorado Z71. With the 1.25" leveling kit I put on it, I can go up a size to 265/65/R17. I hear a lot of good things about BF Goodrich KO2s, but wonder since these would be 3 season use only if I need something with that much traction. Mostly town & highway driving with plenty of dirt road driving, but not really any class IV or four-by expected. Anyone have other recommendations?

Quote Originally Posted by Peruvian View Post
    Time for summer tires on my 2016 Chevy Colorado Z71. With the 1.25" leveling kit I put on it, I can go up a size to 265/65/R17. I hear a lot of good things about BF Goodrich KO2s, but wonder since these would be 3 season use only if I need something with that much traction. Mostly town & highway driving with plenty of dirt road driving, but not really any class IV or four-by expected. Anyone have other recommendations?
    There are tires that will provide better performance on pavement in some combination of handling, fuel mileage, and longevity. But sticking with some form of AT tire will get you better performance on loose gravel roads, plus they look a lot cooler.

My summer tires are a cheaper AT tire, and while I realize I'm giving up performance for 98% of my driving, the 2% of the time I'm actually in places a highway tire would be a challenge keep me from switching. Well, that and looks, but I believe I saw a highway tire recently with an AT-looking sidewall.

Sent from my SM-G892A using TGR Forums mobile app

Any chance you could go to a 70 aspect tire? It’s over an inch larger in diameter, if that’s appealing. When I was looking for KO2s in 16” rim size for my older 4Runner, all I could find we class E rated tires, which are pretty stiff. After two sets (not KO2s) of E rated tires, I decided to go back to the Pmetric tires spec’ed for my vehicle. If you carry heavy loads on rough roads, I’d go E rated. Otherwise, your light, empty truck might ride a bit harder

Yokohama G015 is kind of a mix between an AT and a highway tire. Otherwise, I've head better things about the Falken Wildpeak than the K02
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Quote Originally Posted by Jethro View Post
    Any chance you could go to a 70 aspect tire? It’s over an inch larger in diameter, if that’s appealing. When I was looking for KO2s in 16” rim size for my older 4Runner, all I could find we class E rated tires, which are pretty stiff. After two sets (not KO2s) of E rated tires, I decided to go back to the Pmetric tires spec’ed for my vehicle. If you carry heavy loads on rough roads, I’d go E rated. Otherwise, your light, empty truck might ride a bit harder
    265/65/R17 are as much as I can stuff in there.

There are some C rated LT tires that are very close to those dimensions. Google "tire size comparison" and you will find a way to compare the true dimensions based on tire size.

I think Firestone Destination A/T might come in that size? Not sure... there are select sizes in some reputable tires that are very close to that.

I've never had the above tire but a friend has them on a jeep Cherokee and likes them.

Goal: ski in the 2018/19 season

I think the BFGs are overkill for your use. From what I have read (but not used), the Michelin Defender LTX is a great choice for your use. I don't run separate snows so I need something a bit better in the winter, but that's what I'd get if I did run snow tires.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Open Country At/3 are real nice and less spendy than the KO2

I’ve been a big fan of KO2s for a long time. I use em year round with no issues. On my work trucks I run General Grabber AT2, which is a great tire and quite a bit cheaper. Might be a good option on the Colorado, and they still look pretty cool

Quote Originally Posted by snapt View Post
    Open Country At/3 are real nice and less spendy than the KO2
    Around $250 per set less. Wow!

Fallen Wildpeaks are also a good budget friendly alternative to the KO2. I’ve had KO2s on a lot of trucks for four season use and they’ve done great. Lasted a long time, quiet rolling, and look good.
    If you want something more road oriented but still capable, the Wrangler AT w/ Kevlar sidewalls are great tires. They come stock on some trucks so they can be easy to find slightly used. Like mine in post #900.

Quote Originally Posted by Name Redacted View Post
    Fallen Wildpeaks are also a good budget friendly alternative to the KO2. I’ve had KO2s on a lot of trucks for four season use and they’ve done great. Lasted a long time, quiet rolling, and look good.
    If you want something more road oriented but still capable, the Wrangler AT w/ Kevlar sidewalls are great tires. They come stock on some trucks so they can be easy to find slightly used. Like mine in post #900.
    The Colorado came stock with the Wranglers. I wasn't highly impressed.

The Colorado came stock with the Wranglers. I wasn't highly impressed.
    Fair enough, but for just town and highway driving, what did the wranglers leave to be desired? I mean I would have kept mine on if I didn’t need more traction/clearance for off-road which it doesn’t sound like you want or need. What is class 4?

Sounds like you want some KO2s for just driving around town, which is fine. I used mine around Denver for years and they did fine, and it was nice to have the traction when I did go to the mountains and off-road. They wore fine on a 1st Gen Taco. (ETA Costco can be a great place to buy KO2s w/ free rotation and balancing if there’s one near you)

I’ve got snow tires on right now but will probably be getting some new KO2s on the Tacoma when the snow melts.

Time for summer tires

3 season use only

Mostly town & highway driving with plenty of dirt road driving

not really any class IV or four-by expected.
    I think you throwing out the BFGs has sent the recommendations down the wrong path, because none of these things I highlighted point to an AT tire unless that's really the style you want regardless of usefulness in your application.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    I think you throwing out the BFGs has sent the recommendations down the wrong path, because none of these things I highlighted point to an AT tire unless that's really the style you want regardless of usefulness in your application.
    Yup. Your recommendation for the Michy LTX was a good one - we're on our 2nd set of LTX A/T2 for our F150 and will very likely get a 3rd set as the 2nd set is just about done.

A few years ago, I decided AT tires were overkill as I mostly drove on pavement. I went with a milder tire after years of running only ATs or snow tires during winter. Father's day camping trip was rainy and buggy so we loaded up the family to take a drive up some good logging roads. After some easy FS roads, we came to a 30' long puddle. I thought, heh, better put it in 4WD and hit it. Made it to the middle of the "puddle" and sunk up to the axles. After an hour of digging and giving up in a downpour, we all slogged the 3 miles back to the campground. Fortunately there was a group of Dad's camped near us with some decent 4x4s and we were able to get pulled out. I don't know if it would've made the difference but, I went back to running All Terrains after that. The 2% of the time I'm off the pavement is worth the peace of mind that the tires can handle it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bronco View Post
    A few years ago, I decided AT tires were overkill as I mostly drove on pavement. I went with a milder tire after years of running only ATs or snow tires during winter. Father's day camping trip was rainy and buggy so we loaded up the family to take a drive up some good logging roads. After some easy FS roads, we came to a 30' long puddle. I thought, heh, better put it in 4WD and hit it. Made it to the middle of the "puddle" and sunk up to the axles. After an hour of digging and giving up in a downpour, we all slogged the 3 miles back to the campground. Fortunately there was a group of Dad's camped near us with some decent 4x4s and we were able to get pulled out. I don't know if it would've made the difference but, I went back to running All Terrains after that. The 2% of the time I'm off the pavement is worth the peace of mind that the tires can handle it.
    If you were really buried to the axles, it's unlikely tread would've helped.

As for @Peruvian, he did specifically state "not really any class IV or four-by expected" so I would anticipate 30' long mud holes would not be on the menu.