Page 34 of 64 FirstFirst ... 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 ... LastLast

Thread: Truck Tire Time

One reason that I have avoided dedicated snow tires is the lack of sidewall protection/lugs. The Falkens have been a great tire for getting around the mountains all season long but still bearable for long trips on the interstate if needed. Tuesday I was hauling firewood where I had to lock the rear diff just to get off the road through a steep swale, then trying not to hit stumps, etc. Who makes a good E rated dedicated snow tire with sidewall protection?

I think the advice you're really looking for is: don't fuck around with hauling firewood when it's late enough in the fall that you need your snow tires on.

Or if you insist on being stubborn, look at an aggressive AT/MT tire that is studdable (Nitto Exo Grappler, DuraTrac, etc).

Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    I think the advice you're really looking for is: don't fuck around with hauling firewood when it's late enough in the fall that you need your snow tires on.

Or if you insist on being stubborn, look at an aggressive AT/MT tire that is studdable (Nitto Exo Grappler, DuraTrac, etc).

Lol, true dat! Didn't think I would be here this winter until fairly recently. Regardless, I'm still getting around the mountains year round in similar terrain.

Quote Originally Posted by 3PinGrin View Post
    One reason that I have avoided dedicated snow tires is the lack of sidewall protection/lugs. The Falkens have been a great tire for getting around the mountains all season long but still bearable for long trips on the interstate if needed. Tuesday I was hauling firewood where I had to lock the rear diff just to get off the road through a steep swale, then trying not to hit stumps, etc. Who makes a good E rated dedicated snow tire with sidewall protection?
    Blizzak comes in E rating 10 ply, but no lugs. Not sure that exists.
    You are probably pretty well off with the Wildpeaks, they get pretty good snow ratings. My wife wasn't that comfortable with the wildpeaks on her Rav4. But those are on the lower profile side so that might have had something to do with it. She commutes a lot so not fucking around.

I think something like the Falken or Duratrac is as close as you can get for your needs.

Chain 'em up.

Quote Originally Posted by snowaddict91
    I think something like the Falken or Duratrac is as close as you can get for your needs.
    Quote Originally Posted by I Skied Bandini Mountain View Post
    Chain 'em up.
    Yeah, I have chains, just looking for the magic quiver of one tire that likely doesn't exist I guess.

The more I look for that tire the more I like chains.

Practice a few times and hanging iron gets pretty easy.

Quote Originally Posted by I Skied Bandini Mountain View Post
    Chain 'em up.
    Truth. I carry two sets of V-bar chains on FS roads for when shit gets real. Like driving into a spot in the morning when its still frozen and then coming out mid-day when its all melted out to bear grease goo. Oops.

I bought the cheapest snow tires I could find this year. GT Champiro non studded, and I can confirm that they are a night and day difference on snow packed/ice over Ko2's. I'm still within the first 1000 miles but they feel as good as my wife's Hakkas for now. Likely the difference shows up next season.

Nitto Exo Grappler with studs is probably the closest you're going to get, but ultimately it's probably a job for chains.

I tend to avoid getting myself into spots where I might need chains, since I do 95% of my recreating alone. I would rather have a longer walk in that deal with a stuck vehicle solo.

Nitto Exo Grappler with studs is probably the closest you're going to get, but ultimately it's probably a job for chains.

I tend to avoid getting myself into spots where I might need chains, since I do 95% of my recreating alone. I would rather have a longer walk in that deal with a stuck vehicle solo.
    You know what the good old boys say: The difference between four wheel drive and two wheel drive is the distance you have to walk once you get stuck. Which is why I try to not chain up for the entry, for me they are back-ups for extrication.

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post

I bought the cheapest snow tires I could find this year. GT Champiro non studded, and I can confirm that they are a night and day difference on snow packed/ice over Ko2's. I'm still within the first 1000 miles but they feel as good as my wife's Hakkas for now. Likely the difference shows up next season.
    I bought the GT Champiro Ice Pro 2 this past winter, studdable but not studded, also because they were ridiculously cheap. Could drive around in RWD only on most snow conditions, in a pickup truck. I'm also still within the first 1000 miles, but I don't expect to need long tread life - truck doesn't get used that much, but it is the winter beater for local skiing, so it does see all the worst conditions.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

I should get a set of chains for my F150. I had a set for my previous rigs but I never really use them on pavement, and I just don't leave pavement in the winter that much these days.

Have you looked at the Nokian LT tires? There's not a ton of lug, but there's definitely some and I think it may be comparable to a Falken; it is comparable to what my cheap AT tires (Radar Renegade A/T5) have, and I've used both without issue on plenty of rocky Forest Service roads when I lived in Red Lodge.

Quote Originally Posted by snowaddict91 View Post
    I should get a set of chains for my F150. I had a set for my previous rigs but I never really use them on pavement, and I just don't leave pavement in the winter that much these days.
    Watch the clearance and check your owner's manual if 2009 - 2014. I have a 2014 and have RUDs which work in the mountains but have never used them at higher speeds where the chain might flair out more.

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    You know what the good old boys say: The difference between four wheel drive and two wheel drive is the distance you have to walk once you get stuck. Which is why I try to not chain up for the entry, for me they are back-ups for extrication.
    x2, I only view them as a "get out of a situation" sort of thing

I will check those out, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by anotherVTskibum View Post
    Have you looked at the Nokian LT tires? There's not a ton of lug, but there's definitely some and I think it may be comparable to a Falken; it is comparable to what my cheap AT tires (Radar Renegade A/T5) have, and I've used both without issue on plenty of rocky Forest Service roads when I lived in Red Lodge.
    I had looked at some models but didn't see any side lugs, will look again. Not talking a squared corner, but additional "bumpers" on the side of the tire, not sure what the correct term is.

What would be nice is to get around the mountains with a durable tire that can take wedging between rocks, ruts, stumps, etc. but have something that also works quite well in town on super icy roads. Probably not an option for a true snowflake rated tire sounds like.

Watch the clearance and check your owner's manual if 2009 - 2014. I have a 2014 and have RUDs which work in the mountains but have never used them at higher speeds where the chain might flair out more.

x2, I only view them as a "get out of a situation" sort of thing
    Yeah, I'm actually not even sure I can use chains up front with my current wheel/tire configuration. I'm with you guys as a get out of jail cars for this rig/my uses, so it would only be a slow speed situation.

It's hardly a universal truth, but as a general rule, it's not recommended to run chains on the front tires if the vehicle has IFS.

Just picked up hardly used studded i-pikes on stock Tundra rims with TPM sensors already installed on cl. It’s been awhile since I’ve ran dedicated snows and I’m looking forward to it.

It's hardly a universal truth, but as a general rule, it's not recommended to run chains on the front tires if the vehicle has IFS.
    Huh?
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

i will report back as i get into season 2 / closer to 10k on my falkens. i thought i’d want dedicated snow but was happy last year. also lighter loaded up last year and less top heavy so here we go

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    Huh?
    It is a thing. Clearance issues. Did it stop me from chaining up my friend's Tacoma on an elk warpath? Hell no.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    Huh?

Lack of clearance between the inside sidewall of the tire and the upper control arm is typically the problem with running chains on the front wheels of a vehicle with IFS.

I run 10ply E rated M&S on my F250 (and other trucks prior) all year 'round. The best I've found are the Toyo Open County M/T. The tread seams to stay "sticky" all the way through it's life. I get about 40K on them and replace before winter. I've had Cooper, Duratracs, Hercules, BFGs, Falkens etc. and these are the best.

Lack of clearance between the inside sidewall of the tire and the upper control arm is typically the problem with running chains on the front wheels of a vehicle with IFS.
    Yup, its a thing for sure. I want to say my owner's manual says cables only but I can't remember for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by snowaddict91 View Post
    Yup, its a thing for sure. I want to say my owner's manual says cables only but I can't remember for sure.
    2009 - 2014 F150 manual says no chains on certain size tires. I have 275/65R18 on a 2014 and RUD 4x4 grip chains allow clearance on the rear, but that's keeping them tight, low speeds, and limited use so I can't say if it could be problematic under different conditions. They are pretty close to the brake line but if kept tight look it wouldn't be problematic at low speeds.

Famous last words!!

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    I run 10ply E rated M&S on my F250 (and other trucks prior) all year 'round. The best I've found are the Toyo Open County M/T. The tread seams to stay "sticky" all the way through it's life. I get about 40K on them and replace before winter. I've had Cooper, Duratracs, Hercules, BFGs, Falkens etc. and these are the best.
    I see quite a few folks running those around here, they are nice looking tires. Might have to give those a go when my Falkens need replaced. I like the Falkens because they have the snowflake if ever checked in another state that requires that over a pass, etc.