Page 28 of 64 FirstFirst ... 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ... LastLast

Thread: Truck Tire Time

Quote Originally Posted by matt View Post
    ???

dude has 22s and wants a tire w/ good traction. Fits the bill. 22s aren't that uncommon for large SUVs now, this isn't the early 2000s when Cash Money is rapping about 22s. I almost didn't respond because he used the term "ABay" but other than that its a good recommendation.
    Oh, dear god...original post was mocking I-70 bros.

And 22's on a truck?

Slammed with 22's and Blizzaks. Ready to cruise for street tacos in East Los Angeles and rip asphalt up to shred Mount Baldy. Anthony Bourdain to the white room please.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by uglymoney View Post
    Slammed with 22's and Blizzaks. Ready to cruise for street tacos in East Los Angeles and rip asphalt up to shred Mount Baldy. Anthony Bourdain to the white room please.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Odale ese

Sent from my I3123 using Tapatalk

Pathfinder ATs from Discount tire? LT and three peak / snowflake rating. Relative cheap price. How is the snow traction compared to a Discoverer M+S or a Blizzak? Road noise on dry roads? Tread Life?

Quote Originally Posted by tBatt View Post
    Pathfinder ATs from Discount tire? LT and three peak / snowflake rating. Relative cheap price. How is the snow traction compared to a Discoverer M+S or a Blizzak? Road noise on dry roads? Tread Life?
    Terrible budget tires, had them on a Jeep Grand Cherokee that my wife spun out on compact snow at a low speed... not impressed

Sent from my moto e6 using TGR Forums mobile app

Keep in mind that the 3PMSF rating only requires a modest improvement over a normal M+S tire (10% in straight-line stopping distance, not sure on other tests); most dedicated winter tires crush the minimum standard, but an AT tire may have the symbol and just meet that standard. Unfortunately, there's very little good, independent data out there on LT tires for winter use.

Sent from my SM-G892A using TGR Forums mobile app

Truck Tire Time

Here’s a question that’s mostly unanswerable. I’m finally getting around to ordering tires. I’m running OEM size on a 99 land cruiser (265/75r16). Talking to discount tire, there is not a lot in stock right now in that size, but there are many options in 235/85r16. I’m fine with running skinnies, my only hesitation is the spare, which I’m not planning to change. My spare are a half worn studded tire at 265/75r16. My concern is about a how the cruiser’s open diff will “handle” the size difference if I need to run the spare. The overall “goal” of that spare is to get me out of where I am that resulted in destroying the tire on the truck. So I’d likely never need to use the spare when running the winter tires.

Thoughts and feelings?

235-85 16 are going to dig like mad on a heavy cruiser in anything soft. 235/85 vs 265/75 are pretty much the same height, probably fine in that regard.

I would try and get a 265/75 or think about bumping up to a 275/70r18 or similar. You can run rims from a 2008+ tundra or sequoia, often can find tundra rims for cheap from the bro-dozer crowd.

Thanks for the response and suggestions. That’s a good point about the skinnies.

I’d been trying to avoid getting 18” wheels for simplicity sake, but suddenly this is no longer simple. I’d been holding off buying the tires in the fall due to credit card payment cycles....

Quote Originally Posted by The Artist Formerly Known as Leavenworth Skier View Post
    235-85 16 are going to dig like mad on a heavy cruiser in anything soft. 235/85 vs 265/75 are pretty much the same height, probably fine in that regard.

I would try and get a 265/75 or think about bumping up to a 275/70r18 or similar. You can run rims from a 2008+ tundra or sequoia, often can find tundra rims for cheap from the bro-dozer crowd.
    Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    Thanks for the response and suggestions. That’s a good point about the skinnies.

I’d been trying to avoid getting 18” wheels for simplicity sake, but suddenly this is no longer simple. I’d been holding off buying the tires in the fall due to credit card payment cycles....
    If the cost difference is nominal and tires are more readily available; get the bigger size. I did that many years ago on my '01 LC. It was great.

thanks for that info. it seems that there are not a lot of tires available at the moment. good times sorting this out. i think this has been beat to death before, but 123 load rating versus 114 or 116 on an SUV? we've been cruising with 116-rated tires the past 3 years. tirerack.com sales rep did not recommend the 123-rated tires for a land cruiser because of poor ride quality.

tirerack sales rep was recommending firestone winterforce, which are 114 load rated.

more thoughts and feelings?

Do you tow heavy? If not...

Truck Tire Time

Quote Originally Posted by The Artist Formerly Known as Leavenworth Skier View Post
    Do you tow heavy? If not...

Heavy towing is not regular, generally short distances, and not during the winter....

I’m just going to throw it out there... I’ve been running 255/85 16 Cooper discover maxx st’s on my taco for 4 years now and love them. I had 235/85 grabber at2’s before and these blew them away. I never noticed any digging or sinking with either size, but I’m also in a much lighter vehicle than you are.

The coopers handle snow, dirt, mud, and ice super well. I’ve had them in some pretty deep snow and they never flinched

I hate buying tires... Best of luck in your journey. Keep us posted.

tire shopping/educating seems to be a big time suck for me every few years (damn internet!). when our AT tires (Cooper AT-W) wear out, i may look at MTs or those hybrid tires. it depends on future planned uses of our LC. lately, it's almost exclusively been used for dragging a utility trailer, driving in snowland, accessing trailheads and waterbodies on FS roads/trails, and camping trips (uhhhh, i mean 'overlanding' :P).

i ended up going with the used 18" tundra wheel route for the winter tires. fiddling around with the tire size conversion site, i found that 265/75r16 (current tires/wheel size) is the same size as 265/65r18

a useful thing learned: w/ 265/65r18, many tire makers build that size outside of the ~120 load rating (E rate) .

fiddling around with the tire size conversion site, i found that 265/75r16 (current tires/wheel size) is the same size as 265/65r18
    Following up, that ^^ statement is not correct. 265/65r18 are bigger tires (taller) than 265/75r16. At least 1-2” bigger. I haven’t measured. I have used tiresize.com to figure this shit out for years. This is the first time I’ve experienced a definite incorrect calculation. Or cooper or firestone are wrong in their sizing, which seems unlikely. Luckily, no rubbing.

Just bought the wife a 2019 Suburban which has lousy 18” all-seasons on it now (it was a CPO lease return). I’ve used Toyo Open Country A/T on my 4Runner for years, but I think the wife would benefit from dedicated snow tires. Recommendations for a non-Studded snow for Western WA?
    In constant pursuit of the perfect slarve...

Following up, that ^^ statement is not correct. 265/65r18 are bigger tires (taller) than 265/75r16. At least 1-2” bigger. I haven’t measured. I have used tiresize.com to figure this shit out for years. This is the first time I’ve experienced a definite incorrect calculation. Or cooper or firestone are wrong in their sizing, which seems unlikely. Luckily, no rubbing.
    Huh?
    265/65 r18 is actually pretty darn close but ever so slightly smaller than a 265/75 r16

As always with tires, actual dimension may not match stated sidewall dimension but 1-2" off is unlikely.

How you doing your math?

Truck Tire Time

Quote Originally Posted by dcpnz View Post
    Huh?
    265/65 r18 is actually pretty darn close but ever so slightly smaller than a 265/75 r16

As always with tires, actual dimension may not match stated sidewall dimension but 1-2" off is unlikely.

How you doing your math?
    I’ll measure full diameter of the tires when I get a chance. Visually, it’s a noticeable difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Bandit Man View Post
    Just bought the wife a 2019 Suburban which has lousy 18” all-seasons on it now (it was a CPO lease return). I’ve used Toyo Open Country A/T on my 4Runner for years, but I think the wife would benefit from dedicated snow tires. Recommendations for a non-Studded snow for Western WA?
    You may want to take a look at the Vredestein Quatrac 5. Not a true dedicated winter tire. But a very solid choice for mixed conditions that you will encounter on Western WA road.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireS...inLoadRating=S

Or if you are dead set on a winter tire, the General Altimax Arctic is a good value for performance winter tire.
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

Basically read through this entire thread and narrowed it down to a few choices. TIA as I hope to leverage the deep knowledge base here.

1st gen tundra v8, 1" lift, live in Maine 70% commuting 30% shitty roads. Primary goal is to increase MPG while still having slightly aggressive tires and can tow a 2k boat trailer. I am currently on Grabbers with the E rating which I suspect has something to do with my shitty 12 MPG. Not expecting to increase a significant amount but anything helps.

I've got it down to the following.
    -BFG Ko2s
    -Cooper AT3
    -Grabber ATx

Local discount tire has priced these out and all within $40, so what should I do? TIA!

(I saw dynapros on a taco this morning, might have those priced out as well.)

Quote Originally Posted by BlueBison View Post
    I’m just going to throw it out there... I’ve been running 255/85 16 Cooper discover maxx st’s on my taco for 4 years now and love them. I had 235/85 grabber at2’s before and these blew them away. I never noticed any digging or sinking with either size, but I’m also in a much lighter vehicle than you are.

The coopers handle snow, dirt, mud, and ice super well. I’ve had them in some pretty deep snow and they never flinched

I hate buying tires... Best of luck in your journey. Keep us posted.
    What year Tacoma?

I've got a 2012 and I bought it with 245/75/16 Nokians, guessing the second set as it has 50k on the odometer.

The 255/85/16's are retail $250/tire while the 245/75/16's are $200.

You think the bigger size is contributing positively to the traction and handling?

Btw, anyone tried the Falken Wildpeak AT/3W - seems to get good reviews and I can get them at either Wal Mart or Discount Tire at $150 per mounted with the limited 55k warranty.

Quote Originally Posted by adrian.bee View Post
    Basically read through this entire thread and narrowed it down to a few choices. TIA as I hope to leverage the deep knowledge base here.

1st gen tundra v8, 1" lift, live in Maine 70% commuting 30% shitty roads. Primary goal is to increase MPG while still having slightly aggressive tires and can tow a 2k boat trailer. I am currently on Grabbers with the E rating which I suspect has something to do with my shitty 12 MPG. Not expecting to increase a significant amount but anything helps.

I've got it down to the following.
    -BFG Ko2s
    -Cooper AT3
    -Grabber ATx

Local discount tire has priced these out and all within $40, so what should I do? TIA!

(I saw dynapros on a taco this morning, might have those priced out as well.)
    Nope... Tundra's just get shitty mileage. If I drove the way I wanted, I routinely got 12mph with BFG Ko2s. Granted, they were an inch wider than stock tires but also 20-30lbs heavier per tire. Fine tire, and one of the two best for all season use with the snowflake symbol (the other being Duratracs, which are noticeably absent from your short-list), but absolutely not in the same league as a dedicated winter tire.

I would run them again, but I would drive 10mph slower on snow/ice.

I would never in a million years run something without the snowflake and I really don't care if anyone's personal experience dictates otherwise or if there's supposedly only some 10% difference in tread compound. Off-camber, decreasing radius corners on icy/snowy mountain passes in a big truck means i don't ever want to even find out where the traction limit is on any given day. With the Ko2s, I found it several times, which is why I ended up slowing down. Never found it with Hakkapeliittas. Added margin of safety is worth much more to me than the price of an extra set of tires or the inconvenience of swapping out every year. Granted, I could drive the all-season tires and just go slower, and I've thought about that, but i want every advantage I can get for emergency braking.

Quote Originally Posted by lowsparkco View Post
    Btw, anyone tried the Falken Wildpeak AT/3W - seems to get good reviews and I can get them at either Wal Mart or Discount Tire at $150 per mounted with the limited 55k warranty.
    I've been running them for a couple of years. Excellent in anything loose, snow, mud, sand, very marginal on ice especially as they wear more.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk