Page 24 of 64 FirstFirst ... 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ... LastLast

Thread: Truck Tire Time

Read through all the discussion before last winter here and put a set of Cooper AT/W’s on my Dodge. Could not be happier. Like velcro during the winter. So much better than the Nitro Terra-grapplers I had been running for years. I’ll never not run them on my truck and future trucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Sluff View Post
    Read through all the discussion before last winter here and put a set of Cooper AT/W’s on my Dodge. Could not be happier. Like velcro during the winter. So much better than the Nitro Terra-grapplers I had been running for years. I’ll never not run them on my truck and future trucks.
    did you run them through the summer?

Yes. Leaving them on full time. They are quite. Very little rock retention in the tread. Really like and recommend them.

Quote Originally Posted by jackattack View Post
    Anyone tried the Toyo m55 on a diesel 250/350? Duratracs are shot after 2.5 yrs and about 25k. The Toyo open country at2 (285/75r18) and Hankook dynapro at/m are also in the running.

Hoping to find a tire with good snow/ice performance and more longevity if possible.

Toyo M55 isn't going to get you the tread life you might want. Especially if running mostly highway miles. 25k miles, maybe 30k miles depending how you drive and if you are hauling or towing anything. Good for off roading though.
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

I made a similar switch (also on a dodge) - Nitto terra grapplers to Mastercraft (Cooper's off brand) MXT's. Huge improvement. Wear after 8k looks good, drastically improved grip in snow, ice, mud, etc. Only place where ive lost performance is highway speeds on tarmac, they feel like they wander a little and dont have the cornering capabilities that the terra grapplers did but its not enough to lose confidence in handling

Great pricepoint tire at under $350 for a 10-ply 33" tire

Blizzak dm-v1s finally died. Got 4 full winters out of them and 1 summer at the end here on front range. Not sure how many miles but a fair amount. It’s a bit of a bummer the winter compound tread only goes down 50% on blizzak, because they’re definitely considerably worse in snow after that (still would consider them an average-above average all season snow tire then).

But with 14/32 tread depth for Blizzak, that gives 7/32 of snow rubber, with the extra 7/32 all season below that. Compared to Michelin x-ice with only 11/32 tread depth (all winter), I’d much rather be on 7/32 all season than 3/32 winter compound.

On a separate note, not a big fan of Cooper AT3s. Quite poor performance in snow and ice (had a few early storms before switching to snow tires). Also seem to be wearing white fast. Would not purchase again

Any other input on cooper m+s w/o studs? Seems like a pretty fair price on discount tire.

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    Any other input on cooper m+s w/o studs? Seems like a pretty fair price on discount tire.
    I have them on my 5/4 ton. Bullet proof. Run them year round. Not a worry on my part, but I'm not pushing corners or anything. Or doing a ton of miles. Lot's of yanking people out and just getting anywhere, anytime. 3rd set of tires on that rig, the "Muther Cucker". Best one's yet. I will maybe in a decade change my mind, but for now, nothing better on a big 10 ply. I've run muds, tube tires with basically tractor treads, and these. I can't hear shit in my truck, there is actually a sticker that says ear protection, so can't help you there, but those tires are serious commercial snows that don't cake up like an at for some reason. Maybe the sipes?

I can and will take that truck anywhere under anything and do anything. I've tried to break it, I can't. Chain that bitch, get out of my way in 4 low locked front and rear always, at 0.5 mph, sorry. I'm going. All of us are going, because I've got a big ass chain on your shit. It takes me 2 full straight up feet pushed down to my most highest abilities to even stop it from crawling in 4low. And the hydroboost is pissed. I'm talking sub 1 mph where every rock counts. It's going to go till it kills itself. Maybe like it was designed to do. It's a Chevy with a Detroit. But the tires hold up to the job. It's frightening almost.

If they don't last 7 years, I'll be pissed. Don't think that's going to happen.

It's a M1028 for reference, fully loaded down.
    Last edited by MakersTeleMark; 10-23-2019 at 01:50 AM.

I largely agree with Makers on these. I have run 2 sets on 2 vehicles. I don't run them now (currently use Nokians).

Not the best winter tire but very decent all purpose winter tire when you want some all-terrain attributes in a tire as well.

Somewhat underwhelming on ice if that is a concern. Relatively wide lug spacing clears slush well and they last a long time relative to most winter tires (thus the middling ice traction).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Nokian LT3.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	1.33 MB 
ID:	299018

Total Nokian fanboy here. Just put these LT-3's on my Tacoma last week. Nokian has discontinued the LT-2 and replaced with the LT-3, which come studded or not. Reviews on the LT-3 sound good and i have no doubt they will be as good as the LT-2's were. Love snow driving!!

Quote Originally Posted by white_wolf View Post
    I made a similar switch (also on a dodge) - Nitto terra grapplers to Mastercraft (Cooper's off brand) MXT's. <snip>

Great pricepoint tire at under $350 for a 10-ply 33" tire
    Interesting, thnx. What other 10 ply (E's) did you consider? I'll be interested to hear how they wear over their life.
    E rating is mandatory for me.

Running Contitrac's now. They ride ok, and handle well under max load. I'll get 30-40k out of them. But they *suck in snow. Even when brand new.
    I chain up and it's a tank, but that gets ridiculous when I'm say, stuck spinning in a level parking spot.. It would be nice to get a little better snow/ice performance out of an E tire.

Quote Originally Posted by MiddleOfNight View Post
    Interesting, thnx. What other 10 ply (E's) did you consider? I'll be interested to hear how they wear over their life.
    E rating is mandatory for me.

Running Contitrac's now. They ride ok, and handle well under max load. I'll get 30-40k out of them. But they *suck in snow. Even when brand new.
    I chain up and it's a tank, but that gets ridiculous when I'm say, stuck spinning in a level parking spot.. It would be nice to get a little better snow/ice performance out of an E tire.
    Falken wild peak at3w is great in snow, mud, and sand. Long wearing, but not great on ice.

So did we establish that ATWs and AT3 4S are different tires that are being concurrently sold by Cooper? They're both still on Cooper's site? ATW not coming up in general google search nor when poking around the site. And then a site-specific google search turns up this dead link: http://us.coopertire.com/tires/disco...-suv?app_data=

FYI, I just replaced the ATWs (e-rated) on my 5th Gen 4Runner at 62k. They definitely felt less grippy last winter at 45-50k, but got me through just fine. I did need to think about them more than before though. They were *not* at the wear bars at 62k, but obviously for snow usage that's not the standard. Snow and ice driving was in Truckee area. Not a ton of glare ice, mostly loose and packed snow. Got stuck on an decent incline in about 18-24" of new that I foolishly parked in. But I'm not sure that any other tire wouldn't have gotten stuck there too (past experience was with BFG KOs and GG AT2s).

Most driving is in lower-elevation California, so just as hot or hotter on average than SLC.

Hope that helps anybody looking to buy a set.

I replaced with KO2s, but that's not a knock against the ATWs. Mostly a wife-doesn't-want-to-make-special-trips-to-tire-shops-over-Costco reason.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Quote Originally Posted by LightRanger View Post
    So did we establish that ATWs and AT3 4S are different tires that are being concurrently sold by Cooper? They're both still on Cooper's site? ATW not coming up in general google search nor when poking around the site. And then a site-specific google search turns up this dead link: http://us.coopertire.com/tires/disco...-suv?app_data=

FYI, I just replaced the ATWs (e-rated) on my 5th Gen 4Runner at 62k. They definitely felt less grippy last winter at 45-50k, but got me through just fine. I did need to think about them more than before though. They were *not* at the wear bars at 62k, but obviously for snow usage that's not the standard. Snow and ice driving was in Truckee area. Not a ton of glare ice, mostly loose and packed snow. Got stuck on an decent incline in about 18-24" of new that I foolishly parked in. But I'm not sure that any other tire wouldn't have gotten stuck there too (past experience was with BFG KOs and GG AT2s).

Most driving is in lower-elevation California, so just as hot or hotter on average than SLC.

Hope that helps anybody looking to buy a set.

I replaced with KO2s, but that's not a knock against the ATWs. Mostly a wife-doesn't-want-to-make-special-trips-to-tire-shops-over-Costco reason.
    How would you say snow performance compared between the GG AT2s and the Cooper ATWs? I just picked up my new General ATxs today and I was deciding between those and the ATWs. Ran GG AT2s in the past on a different rig and was very pleased with them.

Hard to say with different sizes on different vehicles. But it seemed to me that when the ATWs still had a fair amount of tread, they were the best AT tire experience on snow I've ever had. Very grippy.

Possible that my memory had faded, but that's what I remember thinking.

I would also say that I seem to recall the AT2s being a bit better in deep, fresh snow. And overall, I liked them generally. If you gave me a set now on a truck, I'd happily run them again. Though I recall them being much louder than the ATWs were, which makes sense if you look at the tread pattern. Though again, different vehicle so not apples to apples on the noise issue, but I think they were louder.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

So Cooper A/TW and AT3 4S are completely different tires. I am pretty sure Cooper has discontinued the A/TW ( I just bought 2 sets) and they are no longer on Coopers site and only a couple of shops seem to have them available.

AT3 4S appears to be an AT3 with some extra siping.

GG AT2s were some of the worst tires I have owned. Horrible grip on ice, ok snow traction and dry rot started very early. They had appeal when they were first introduced as they were relatively inexpensive but now they are priced similarly to much better tires.

I’ve been extremely disappointed in LT cooper AT3s on my F150. Horrible ice and snow traction

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Muggydude View Post
    I’ve been extremely disappointed in LT cooper AT3s on my F150. Horrible ice and snow traction

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I had Cooper AT3s on an old rig. They were fine the first winter and then pretty dreadful on anything slick after that. I'm sure the ATWs are much better but it was definitely in my mind when I went shopping.

Thx for the input on the cooper m+s w/o studs. These would go on a land cruiser as a dedicated winter-only tire. They seemed to be very reasonably priced $103/each. The size that I was looking at isn’t listed as E rated, but maybe I’m missing it in the site: 265/75/16

Thx for the input on the cooper m+s w/o studs. These would go on a land cruiser as a dedicated winter-only tire. They seemed to be very reasonably priced $103/each. The size that I was looking at isn’t listed as E rated, but maybe I’m missing it in the site: 265/75/16
    Just throwing in my 2 cents, I thought they performed well on a first-gen Nissan XTerra. Only got it stuck once, and that was trying to pull out a Wrangler that was on crap tires and more than frame-deep in spring snowpack. I did throw cable chains on a few times (including after getting stuck trying to free said Wrangler out, whoops), but overall I found the traction to be good and, more importantly IMO, the feedback to be very good. It may have had as much to do with the balance of the XTerra, but I found that vehicle/tire combo very easy to hold in a drift.

I also had a coworker who put a ton of miles on an F-250 with 'em, and he was a big fan. Not sure if he ever tried anything else recently enough to know how they'd compare to current-generation tires, though.

Quote Originally Posted by 3PinGrin View Post
    Falken wild peak at3w is great in snow, mud, and sand. Long wearing, but not great on ice.
    thx!

Quote Originally Posted by oldblue View Post
    So Cooper A/TW and AT3 4S are completely different tires. I am pretty sure Cooper has discontinued the A/TW ( I just bought 2 sets) and they are no longer on Coopers site and only a couple of shops seem to have them available.

AT3 4S appears to be an AT3 with some extra siping.
    Thanks for clarifying what I was seeing. That makes sense.

I wonder if Cooper just wasn't selling enough or what?

Quote Originally Posted by LightRanger View Post
    Thanks for clarifying what I was seeing. That makes sense.

I wonder if Cooper just wasn't selling enough or what?
    The ATW was on their website until this summer.

Cooper definitely were not marketing the ATW well to their brick and mortar retailers in the US. When I bought my set in fall of 2015, I first visited the large local cooper dealer in my area of Sierra foothills. They had no idea what I was talking about until they looked them up in their catalog, they pushed the AT3 (which they had a huge stock of), and they finally told me that the ATW was not a good tire for the area.

Yeah. I remember Big O had to special order them for us. But that wasn't in the mountains. What you related was just shit company rep to dealer communications. Pretty inexcusable.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

Just put the Cooper AT3 4's on my Ram about 2 weeks ago. Drives mint. Ill let you know how it does in the snow. Rain has been a non issue.
    Took me like 10 minutes to figure out how to change this shit