Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 19 20 21 22 23 24

Thread: Truck Tire Time

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post
    ...or if you never go off road (gravel, forest roads, etc don't count), you're better off with "touring"/highway summers
    Better of compared to what? Super Swampers? Full-on mud tires? I agree. But given that this is the truck tire thread, a good all terrain tire makes more sense for summer rubber than something highway biased.

Touring tires belong on crossovers, not trucks.
    Set my compass North, I got Winter in my blood.

Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    Better of compared to what? Super Swampers? Full-on mud tires? I agree. But given that this is the truck tire thread, a good all terrain tire makes more sense for summer rubber than something highway biased.

Yup. I own a truck because I use it. Good A/Ts have been working since I moved to CO 10 years ago and I'll keep it that way. Spend too much time on dry pavement in SLC for dedicated snows too.

I run a 3PMSF rated AT as my summer tire and either Blizzaks or Hakkapelittas in the winter, because I'm neurotic about tires.

Dedicated snows provide better grip on cold dry and cold wet pavement than even a 3PMSF rated all season, they aren't just for driving on packed snow.
    Set my compass North, I got Winter in my blood.

Anyone tried the Toyo m55 on a diesel 250/350? Duratracs are shot after 2.5 yrs and about 25k. The Toyo open country at2 (285/75r18) and Hankook dynapro at/m are also in the running.

Hoping to find a tire with good snow/ice performance and more longevity if possible.

Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    My post was aimed at the guy who never gets off the pavement. And when I said better off I meant better handling, braking, and gas mileage. And dedicated snows are indisputably better than all the cake-and-eat-it-too bullshit.

And when I said touring/highway, I'm including that LTX that comes OEM on a lot of trucks right now (even if it says a/t on the sidewall).

My mechanic considers the cooper atw to be a highway tire.

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    My mechanic considers the cooper atw to be a highway tire.
    That is correct. It is most definitely not a winter tire, nor an offroading tire.

Quote Originally Posted by snowaddict91 View Post
    Yup. I own a truck because I use it. Good A/Ts have been working since I moved to CO 10 years ago and I'll keep it that way. Spend too much time on dry pavement in SLC for dedicated snows too.
    This last winter was the first time I used a set of winter tires. Cooper M+S, no studs, cuz SLC. Did great going up and down the canyons, barely wore at all-probably put 7000 miles on em, better than new duratracs or Grabber AT3s on ice. Anyway, for someone who uses a truck off-road, it's worth switching tires, cuz aggressive driving on dirt and rock destroys tires. My duratracs have 15-20k miles on them and really suck in wet or snowy anything at this point, but still get it done on trails. 20-30k is all I've gotten out of any all terrain truck tire, so not saying the duratracs wear too fast. In the meantime, the Cooper's still have perfect sipes, sharp corners on the treadblocks, basically just lost a tiny bit of tread depth. I didn't drive in dirt much with them, and when I did was much more gentle than usual unless it was absolutely necessary to rally and not get stuck.

Read through all the discussion before last winter here and put a set of Cooper AT/Ws on my Dodge. Could not be happier. Like velcro during the winter. So much better than the Nitro Terra-grapplers I had been running for years. Ill never not run them on my truck and future trucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Sluff View Post
    Read through all the discussion before last winter here and put a set of Cooper AT/W’s on my Dodge. Could not be happier. Like velcro during the winter. So much better than the Nitro Terra-grapplers I had been running for years. I’ll never not run them on my truck and future trucks.
    did you run them through the summer?

Yes. Leaving them on full time. They are quite. Very little rock retention in the tread. Really like and recommend them.

Quote Originally Posted by jackattack View Post
    Anyone tried the Toyo m55 on a diesel 250/350? Duratracs are shot after 2.5 yrs and about 25k. The Toyo open country at2 (285/75r18) and Hankook dynapro at/m are also in the running.

Hoping to find a tire with good snow/ice performance and more longevity if possible.

Toyo M55 isn't going to get you the tread life you might want. Especially if running mostly highway miles. 25k miles, maybe 30k miles depending how you drive and if you are hauling or towing anything. Good for off roading though.
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

I made a similar switch (also on a dodge) - Nitto terra grapplers to Mastercraft (Cooper's off brand) MXT's. Huge improvement. Wear after 8k looks good, drastically improved grip in snow, ice, mud, etc. Only place where ive lost performance is highway speeds on tarmac, they feel like they wander a little and dont have the cornering capabilities that the terra grapplers did but its not enough to lose confidence in handling

Great pricepoint tire at under $350 for a 10-ply 33" tire

Blizzak dm-v1s finally died. Got 4 full winters out of them and 1 summer at the end here on front range. Not sure how many miles but a fair amount. Its a bit of a bummer the winter compound tread only goes down 50% on blizzak, because theyre definitely considerably worse in snow after that (still would consider them an average-above average all season snow tire then).

But with 14/32 tread depth for Blizzak, that gives 7/32 of snow rubber, with the extra 7/32 all season below that. Compared to Michelin x-ice with only 11/32 tread depth (all winter), Id much rather be on 7/32 all season than 3/32 winter compound.

On a separate note, not a big fan of Cooper AT3s. Quite poor performance in snow and ice (had a few early storms before switching to snow tires). Also seem to be wearing white fast. Would not purchase again