Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 17 18 19 20 21 22

Thread: Truck Tire Time

Any 3rd gen Tacoma owners in here? What size tire are you running with no lift? Was looking at a 265/65 r16, 255/75 r17 or 275/70 r17. Don't want to get in to the 33" territory since this will be a DD/Commuter and I have other rigs to wheel. But you know, gotta have a little bigger than stock tire because, Tacoma Bro.

Not a TACO owner, a 4runner owner, but definitely look at the 255/75. We share the same wheel/tire sizes on our rigs, and this is what I"ll be doing next. You get some extra tire size with this, but it's narrower than stock, which helps road manners a ton, I'm told. Less wandering on grooved highways, better mileage due to lower weight/resistance, less hydroplaning, better snow manners (same weight, smaller surface area), and should do as good or better than larger tires off road with the exception possibly being in sand.

3rd gen 4Runner owner here. Im running 16 Tacoma rims for my winter setup. I use 265/75/r16 tires. About 32, up about an inch from the 265/70/r16 which came stock

If I was to get snow tires again, Id get 235/85/r16 tires. Pretty much the same diameter, but skinnier

How skinny is too skinny?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post

Depends on her tolerance and preference. I'm thankful to not have these issues.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post

I have found 235/85 r16 to dig a little too much personally.

Quote Originally Posted by Jethro View Post
    3rd gen 4Runner owner here. I’m running 16” Tacoma rims for my winter setup. I use 265/75/r16 tires. About 32”, up about an inch from the 265/70/r16 which came stock

If I was to get snow tires again, I’d get 235/85/r16 tires. Pretty much the same diameter, but skinnier
    We will be working on buddy's 3Runner right after we finished installing the new rack, access bed cover and railings for his Ram project. Sounds like the 265/75/r16 tires is a good setup for ground clearance.

Some people run 285/75/R16 tires on the 3rd gen 4Runner, but rubbing up front can be an issue, as well as underneath spare storage. Plus the motor strains to turn them.

Put 265/75r16 Cooper at3 on the 3rd gen brocoma. They seem to fit great and I'm quite happy with the highway+ tread pattern so far. Really good ice grip. Jury is out on loose snow. I'm normally all about the duratrac but on this truck since it's a commuter I didn't feel the need to go that aggressive. Was looking at the Goodyear Ultraterrain which seems to be a nice blend between the duratrac and the k02 but they were backordered in SL load rating and I didn't want to step in to the weight and stiffness of the e-rated variety.

Don't worry all, I'm still keeping the faith alive... putting Duratracs on the new camper hauler.

Sent from my Moto E (4) using TGR Forums mobile app

I've got 265/75R16 on my 3rd Gen 4runner as well. I've tried P-metric tires, as well as Load range C and E. The car tires don't hold up to the gravel roads I drive, and The E rated tires are just too stiff and heavy and noticeably hurt my fuel mileage (plus they're more expensive.) They fit just fine on my 20 year old sacked out suspension, and even better after I replaced it all and lifted a bit (1.5-2") I think 33s are overkill.
    ::.:..::::.::.:.::..::.

Quote Originally Posted by wicked_sick View Post
    I've got 265/75R16 on my 3rd Gen 4runner as well. I've tried P-metric tires, as well as Load range C and E. The car tires don't hold up to the gravel roads I drive, and The E rated tires are just too stiff and heavy and noticeably hurt my fuel mileage (plus they're more expensive.) They fit just fine on my 20 year old sacked out suspension, and even better after I replaced it all and lifted a bit (1.5-2") I think 33s are overkill.
    I second the E rated tires opinion for that 4Runner. While running 10 ply tires seems like a good idea for toughness, that vehicle doesnt need the same tire one ton trucks pulling gooseneck trailers use.

Unfortunately it appears a lot of tire companies are dropping their SL and C rated tires in the more aggressive tread designs in the over 15" rim category, meanwhile car manufacturers are making vehicles with increasingly larger brakes requiring a 16 or 17" rim to clear rotors/calipers.

I suppose the average tire buyer probably picks a tire for appearance more than weight or whatnot anyways.

i mounted blizzaks for the winter on the supercrew.
    the softness and grip exceeded my expectation on cold roads and so far, knock on bud, they will perform well in LoT4.
    bF
    Alpental Indigenous

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9623.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	870.7 KB 
ID:	264610

Travel tires. 44 super swampers would make the truck super tall sitting on the trailer.

Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    Travel tires. 44” super swampers would make the truck super tall sitting on the trailer.
    This. Plus they are so much lighter.

Yeah you can see one of the tires in the bed of the front truck. Still made me laugh

I've got a set of used xd wheels with Duratracs. The tires only have about 7/32 tread left on them though I don't worry much since I really don't daily drive my truck.