Page 22 of 64 FirstFirst ... 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ... LastLast

Thread: Truck Tire Time

Quote Originally Posted by Jethro View Post
    3rd gen 4Runner owner here. I’m running 16” Tacoma rims for my winter setup. I use 265/75/r16 tires. About 32”, up about an inch from the 265/70/r16 which came stock

If I was to get snow tires again, I’d get 235/85/r16 tires. Pretty much the same diameter, but skinnier
    We will be working on buddy's 3Runner right after we finished installing the new rack, access bed cover and railings for his Ram project. Sounds like the 265/75/r16 tires is a good setup for ground clearance.

Some people run 285/75/R16 tires on the 3rd gen 4Runner, but rubbing up front can be an issue, as well as underneath spare storage. Plus the motor strains to turn them.

Put 265/75r16 Cooper at3 on the 3rd gen brocoma. They seem to fit great and I'm quite happy with the highway+ tread pattern so far. Really good ice grip. Jury is out on loose snow. I'm normally all about the duratrac but on this truck since it's a commuter I didn't feel the need to go that aggressive. Was looking at the Goodyear Ultraterrain which seems to be a nice blend between the duratrac and the k02 but they were backordered in SL load rating and I didn't want to step in to the weight and stiffness of the e-rated variety.

Don't worry all, I'm still keeping the faith alive... putting Duratracs on the new camper hauler.

Sent from my Moto E (4) using TGR Forums mobile app

I've got 265/75R16 on my 3rd Gen 4runner as well. I've tried P-metric tires, as well as Load range C and E. The car tires don't hold up to the gravel roads I drive, and The E rated tires are just too stiff and heavy and noticeably hurt my fuel mileage (plus they're more expensive.) They fit just fine on my 20 year old sacked out suspension, and even better after I replaced it all and lifted a bit (1.5-2") I think 33s are overkill.
    ::.:..::::.::.:.::..::.

Quote Originally Posted by wicked_sick View Post
    I've got 265/75R16 on my 3rd Gen 4runner as well. I've tried P-metric tires, as well as Load range C and E. The car tires don't hold up to the gravel roads I drive, and The E rated tires are just too stiff and heavy and noticeably hurt my fuel mileage (plus they're more expensive.) They fit just fine on my 20 year old sacked out suspension, and even better after I replaced it all and lifted a bit (1.5-2") I think 33s are overkill.
    I second the E rated tires opinion for that 4Runner. While running 10 ply tires seems like a good idea for toughness, that vehicle doesn’t need the same tire one ton trucks pulling gooseneck trailers use.

Unfortunately it appears a lot of tire companies are dropping their SL and C rated tires in the more aggressive tread designs in the over 15" rim category, meanwhile car manufacturers are making vehicles with increasingly larger brakes requiring a 16 or 17" rim to clear rotors/calipers.

I suppose the average tire buyer probably picks a tire for appearance more than weight or whatnot anyways.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9623.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	870.7 KB 
ID:	264610

Travel tires. 44” super swampers would make the truck super tall sitting on the trailer.

Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    Travel tires. 44” super swampers would make the truck super tall sitting on the trailer.
    This. Plus they are so much lighter.

Yeah you can see one of the tires in the bed of the front truck. Still made me laugh

Sent from my SPH-L710 using TGR Forums mobile app

I've got a set of used xd wheels with Duratracs. The tires only have about 7/32 tread left on them though I don't worry much since I really don't daily drive my truck.

Anyone recommend a good aftermarket rim for light off-roading? Light-ish and not too expensive? There are so many choices I have no idea how to filter. Going on a large SUV. I can't find out how much the OEM rims weigh anywhere, so whether I save weight or not not matter what I pick is a guess. Rim size is 17"

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    Anyone recommend a good aftermarket rim for light off-roading? Light-ish and not too expensive? There are so many choices I have no idea how to filter. Going on a large SUV. I can't find out how much the OEM rims weigh anywhere, so whether I save weight or not not matter what I pick is a guess. Rim size is 17"
    https://www.methodracewheels.com/col...01-matte-black

Quote Originally Posted by Leavenworth Skier View Post
    Those look sweet, thanks. But they don't sell anything with y bolt pattern, 5x112

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    Those look sweet, thanks. But they don't sell anything with y bolt pattern, 5x112
    What rig you putting these on? You sure about that 2nd measurement?

http://www.fueloffroad.com/wheel/258...hID=258&lugs=5
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

f250: Michelin LTX 265/65/20 unbelievably smoother ride than any point in the past.....
    (combined with some new aftermarket shocks)
    previous tires: Continentals
    www.freeridesystems.com
    ski & ride jackets made in colorado
    maggot discount code TGR20
    ok we'll come up with a solution by then makers....

For those looking for new wheels, check out Level 8- Good product for reasonable prices- usually around or below $150 per rim.

Just replaced some tires with a slight less burly duratrac knock-off called the Goodyear UltraTerrain. I recommend. Call it a Discount Tire colab if you will as they aren't available elsewhere. I replaced some E rated tires with these in an E rating for towing and didn't realize how stiff my last set with kevlar sidewalls were compared to other E rated tires. These ride much smoother and are quiet given the tread

Truck Tire Time

Blizzaks in F150 are done after 3 seasons, won’t last another winter. Planning on keeping them on the truck through the fall since they still have decent tread left for summer driving.

Anyone know if there are issues towing a wakeboard boat about 400 miles on the p rated tires? Blizzaks are p255/70/r18 I believe. Rated to 2470lbs/tire

Boat is on a double axle trailer, weighs about 5000lbs loaded with camping gear. Obviously e rated Lt tires would sway less and do better, but if I can leave the blizzaks on I will

Quote Originally Posted by Muggydude View Post
    Blizzaks in F150 are done after 3 seasons, won’t last another winter. Planning on keeping them on the truck through the fall since they still have decent tread left for summer driving.

Anyone know if there are issues towing a wakeboard boat about 400 miles on the p rated tires? Blizzaks are p255/70/r18 I believe. Rated to 2470lbs/tire

Boat is on a double axle trailer, weighs about 5000lbs loaded with camping gear. Obviously e rated Lt tires would sway less and do better, but if I can leave the blizzaks on I will
    F-150s come from the factory with P-rated tires and rated for towing over 10k (not that you can get there with most trucks before you run out of payload, but marketing). As long as you're within the GVWR and axle limits, I'd expect that to be reasonable. Watch your pressures closely, though.

Sent from my SM-G892A using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by klauss View Post
    Just replaced some tires with a slight less burly duratrac knock-off called the Goodyear UltraTerrain. I recommend. Call it a Discount Tire colab if you will as they aren't available elsewhere. I replaced some E rated tires with these in an E rating for towing and didn't realize how stiff my last set with kevlar sidewalls were compared to other E rated tires. These ride much smoother and are quiet given the tread

Saw those recently. That’s a serious consideration for the superduty. Looks a lot like the BFG KO2.

Got a couple chucks taken out of my BFG KO2 tire sidewall recently. Still driving on it, but kinda worried. they are maybe 1/8" deep. Tires are about 1 year old. Would you a) not worry about it till I start losing air? b) Replace immediately with a new tire? c) Try to find a similarly worn used tire? d) other

^^^ Would rotate it to one of the rear positions if it's not already there and then drive it like you stole it.
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

Quote Originally Posted by shredgnar View Post
    Got a couple chucks taken out of my BFG KO2 tire sidewall recently. Still driving on it, but kinda worried. they are maybe 1/8" deep. Tires are about 1 year old. Would you a) not worry about it till I start losing air? b) Replace immediately with a new tire? c) Try to find a similarly worn used tire? d) other
    have you been rotating 5 tires (including spare) or 4 tires to this point?

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    have you been rotating 5 tires (including spare) or 4 tires to this point?
    This is a good question. I'd also ask what your driving habits are; if you regularly drive rocky Forest service-type roads, the risk of hitting one of the vulnerable spots again seems a lot higher than if you generally stick to pavement, plus the downside is a lot smaller if you have a failed tire on the road versus eighteen miles from nowhere, on a steep trail without a good spot to jack up the truck.

Middle road, IMO, is to make the damaged tire a spare and put a new tire on, but only if you don't already have a comparable spare (occasionally I get nervous about my spare being an HT tire that would really suck to need in rough conditions). Again, YMMV depending on your driving environment.

Sent from my SM-G892A using TGR Forums mobile app