Page 19 of 64 FirstFirst ... 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ... LastLast

Thread: Truck Tire Time

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    Fuck TPMS. Why 2013 F250 requires 80psi in the rears which is a bit firm. Tire wear sucks. Anybody using any of the hacks or work arounds. I'd like to run something like 45psi unless hauling or towing heavy.
    TPMS saved me having to buy new tires a few weekends ago. Alarm came on in my dash permitting me to pull off the freeway before it was totally flat. Was able to get it fixed at Les Schwab the next day rather than having to replace that plus the others so they would all match.

In the past by the time I realized my the had gone flat, I ruined my sidewall...

Sent from my Pixel 2 using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon3 View Post
    The new version of the At3- the AT3 4S is mountain snowflake rated, and likely to hold up better than the old ones, it's what I'm going to next.
    I have Geolandar G015 A/T and i hate them. Sidewall is so squishy, cornering sucks, they float on the freeway.
    There’s also the cooper at/w. I wonder if cooper will phase out the at/w now that they have a new sku, the at3 4s.

On TGR, there’s interesting takes to the geolandar tire. I wonder if it’s related to vehicle weight and maybe specific tires size. I have them on a minivan and think they are great for the use I bought them. I typically do not use them in winter, but them see a lot of time on gravel and steep dirt roads and pavement.

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post

On TGR, there’s interesting takes to the geolandar tire. I wonder if it’s related to vehicle weight and maybe specific tires size. I have them on a minivan and think they are great for the use I bought them. I typically do not use them in winter, but them see a lot of time on gravel and steep dirt roads and pavement.
    It must be related to vehicle size. We run them on the wife's RAV4 and I don't notice any handling issues or unusual wear. And I'm a person that would.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunder View Post
    You will love them. I only go with the factory studded version, as I spend a ton of time on forestry roads that tend to get very icy an get ZERO sand or gravel spread on them.
    Non studded ended up being back ordered. I went with studded. I will worry about Apr 15th when it comes and until then enjoy the excellent traction!

Quote Originally Posted by Storm Hood View Post
    Non studded ended up being back ordered. I went with studded. I will worry about Apr 15th when it comes and until then enjoy the excellent traction!
    I always run factory studded. It’s way better then having the shop install them. Only issue is they are a bit noisy but that’s ok with me for the added traction on black ice.

Out with the ST/Maxx, in with the Duratrac.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20181116_095236020.jpg 
Views:	310 
Size:	158.0 KB 
ID:	255759

Coopers were great and I hope I don't miss the burly sidewall. Drove well, nice mountain tire for summer time. Not so much snow traction once the edges got dull, despite middle siping... I expect similar with the Goodyears but the factory siping is more thorough.

Name:	IMG_20181116_110835251.jpg 
Views:	181 
Size:	105.6 KB 
ID:	255763

Great looking rig....

After a strange close-call coming down from the local FR-accessed backcountry spot, here's a question for Duratrac-ers: How much siping do you need to lose to negate their advantage on packed snow/ice? Like, completely gone?

Gman is online now Mack Master William Large

Name:	IMG_6984.JPG 
Views:	123 
Size:	303.3 KB 
ID:	255954

I’m running dura tracs as well. So far so good

Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post

Coopers were great and I hope I don't miss the burly sidewall. Drove well, nice mountain tire for summer time. Not so much snow traction once the edges got dull, despite middle siping... I expect similar with the Goodyears but the factory siping is more thorough.

New wheels too?

Truck Tire Time

Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post

Same truck, What offset you got? Just went with 18mm offset rims and KO2s Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2280.JPG 
Views:	136 
Size:	250.8 KB 
ID:	255958
    Alignment Tuesday, so I’ll throw em on then

I really like my BFG TKOs on my F150. I have Cooper ATPs (Discount Tire version of the AT3) on my van... I like the coopers, but they seem to wear faster than other tires (like the BFGs).

Sent from my SM-G950U using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Huskydoc View Post
    After a strange close-call coming down from the local FR-accessed backcountry spot, here's a question for Duratrac-ers: How much siping do you need to lose to negate their advantage on packed snow/ice? Like, completely gone?
    It's been discussed before on here but the idea with Duratracs in the winter is that they are great at clearing slushy snow so they get down to the road surface. Their ice and packed snow traction while perhaps better than some other aggressive A/T tires is not going to be great, it just doesn't have the right tread pattern. Wear through what siping they have and they are going to be poor on ice and packed snow.

If you need ice and packed snow traction get real winter tires.

Quote Originally Posted by flowing alpy View Post
    and begin to swap my own fuckin wheels.
    word.

BFG's suck. Can we make this post a sticky please. Duratraks are not the answer either, but in a couple years, I'll ask for a sticky on that too. Not sucking, but c'mon people. There is a lot of good rubber out there.

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    BFG's suck. Can we make this post a sticky please. Duratraks are not the answer either, but in a couple years, I'll ask for a sticky on that too. Not sucking, but c'mon people. There is a lot of good rubber out there.
    I’ve had KO2S on several different trucks over the years, I’ve always had great experiences with them. I live on a steep hill that gets little sunlight and most of the time in winter, I don’t have to put it in 4wd. When I drive up in one of my work trucks with dureatracs, 4wd every time. I usually get around 45-50k out of them before replacing.

Then again, you know what they say about opinions....

I’m getting interested in Michelin’s Crossclimate SUV, and the class of tires called “all weather tires.” People will argue about it, but the claim is better snow traction than all seasons, but better tread wear and drivability than dedicated winter tires. They seem to be getting popular in Europe. Living in the southern Rockies, there’s a lot of winter driving on dry roads. I plan to try some out.

https://www.discounttire.com/learn/all-weather-tires
    https://www.tirebuyer.com/education/...weather-tires#
    https://www.consumerreports.org/tire...ll-year-round/

I started a thread on all weather tires awhile ago - some discussion in there on the ones people have tried.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    I started a thread on all weather tires awhile ago - some discussion in there on the ones people have tried.
    Missed that, I’ll look for it.

Edit: found it:
    https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...f-winter-tires

I’ll admit that I think those Michelin Crossclimates look pretty cool, and that’s important, right? Because KO2s look bad ass.

Quote Originally Posted by Conundrum View Post
    The rating isn't based on the compound, you are correct. But, AT tires with the snowflake don't tend to last as long as those without in my experience. I think it's that the manufacturer uses softer material to perform better in the cold.

Me, I have Cooper STT Pros siped on my LC and Cooper AT3s on my pickup and van. I run the tires all year and have no issues on snow and ice.

I'm sure there are a lot of good tires out there now but I've been using Coopers for the last 10 years or so and why change something that works well for the sake of changing.
    My guess is that product changes are always made by the guys with the fat butts...ie upstairs in Mgmnt, who simply go by sales figures...which are most always the bulk of the population(ie clueless drivers making impressive paychecks).

Hey be sure to post up on your winters-end opinions on the STTs Conundrum!
    I'm off-highway ~2-4 days/wk. Safer to go with dedicated snows on often plowed(majority) and skin/snowshoe in with added accumulation. Was thinking about added siping on my STTs but opted to try Hankook's i-Pikes with General's Grabber Arctic as other choice....as work on the house and tree-cutting around the yahd has been taking precidence so far.
    A few Nittos pretty good as well. Think I may try adding more siping to those.
    Last edited by steved; 11-18-2018 at 09:18 AM.

BFG All Terrain T/A KO-2s.

Name:  P6050213.jpg
Views: 354
Size:  91.1 KB

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    Yeah, the best selling tire in the category sucks. Why? Because you say? Because they are too popular(hipster)? Because the guy that picked on you in high school had em?

Truck Tire Time

Just because it sells well...

What about the km3?

Excellent opportunity for a math nerd to compile this into a maggot tested spread sheet.

Quote Originally Posted by shredgnar View Post
    Yeah, the best selling tire in the category sucks. Why? Because you say? Because they are too popular(hipster)? Because the guy that picked on you in high school had em?
    BFG T/A KO2's have a softer compound for sticking to and getting grip on rocks and getting through muck. They aren't a winter compound, so they don't do well when it gets colder. If you are light on the right pedal and left pedal, they will get you through to 40k miles. That assumes you aren't going off road or hauling or pulling heavy loads.

Do they suck? Only if you're personal experiences say they suck. But there are much better tires out there than the BFG KO2's. It's a pretty looking tire on a truck but not much to write home about in terms of overall performance.

Maybe take a look at this tire as an option - https://www.offroadxtreme.com/engine...w-tire-review/

It's made by Sumitomo Rubber.
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch