Page 17 of 64 FirstFirst ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ... LastLast

Thread: Truck Tire Time

Looked at the Faulken’s the other day at a local tire shop. The computer siping only goes into the tred about 1/3. To bad as I might have given them a shot next fall when I’ll be due for new tires.

Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    Looked at the Faulken’s the other day at a local tire shop. The computer siping only goes into the tred about 1/3. To bad as I might have given them a shot next fall when I’ll be due for new tires.
    On the at3ws? I had a pair of old wildpeaks that were on my F250 when I bought it that were that way, they might as well have been slicks even though they had some "tread" remaining.

After a long debate between price versus performance I chose the AT3w’s installed today at Discount in Seattle. Drove to Leavenworth, all pavement. No noticeable road noise on my f150. Tire drives much better than the Goodyear all season stockers they replaced, much smoother and obviously better dry traction than the 58k on the stocks. So far so good Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5153.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	1.53 MB 
ID:	247395

Drop the knee, squat to pee ;?)

Quote Originally Posted by snowaddict91 View Post
    On the at3ws? I had a pair of old wildpeaks that were on my F250 when I bought it that were that way, they might as well have been slicks even though they had some "tread" remaining.
    Yes. They will turn to slicks once the siping is gone.

Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    Yes. They will turn to slicks once the siping is gone.
    Good to know they haven't fixed that problem. Guess I'll probably put duratracs on when its time then.

Quote Originally Posted by snowaddict91 View Post
    Good to know they haven't fixed that problem. Guess I'll probably put duratracs on when its time then.
    Full depth siping on my Wildpeaks so they must have changed from the older models.

Quote Originally Posted by Supermoon View Post
    I have a ‘16 Tundra, and put about 20k per year on it, with 8k of it towing. Not much off-road, but a fair bit of snow. Not a ton of ice. Would love a single tire to leave on all year. Any good options out there? (18 pages of this thread gets a little bit confusing trying to sift through all the recs).
    Looking at some of the options suggested in this thread, but the local tire shop is recommending 10-ply tires. The truck does a lot of towing (big wake boats up to about 8k pounds almost ever day), and our OEM 4-ply have lasted about 43k. I'm not sure if it's worth the $400 premium to bump up to 10 ply.

Anyone who tow with a half ton have thoughts? What does the gas mileage hit look like?

You'll probably lose 1 mpg on a tundra I'd guess. I have E rated toyos on my f150 (on it when I bought it). They are stiff but it is a truck after all. They may be overkill but I like the peace of mind, especially for towing.

Quote Originally Posted by Supermoon View Post
    Looking at some of the options suggested in this thread, but the local tire shop is recommending 10-ply tires. The truck does a lot of towing (big wake boats up to about 8k pounds almost ever day), and our OEM 4-ply have lasted about 43k. I'm not sure if it's worth the $400 premium to bump up to 10 ply.

Anyone who tow with a half ton have thoughts? What does the gas mileage hit look like?
    You'll loose gas mileage going to E-rated tires from two factors:
    1. substantially increased rotating mass (this will also affect acceleration and braking, but given that it's a truck, I don't know that it will be noticeable)
    2. bumping to an LT tire may mean bumping up a tire size to get the model you want (e.g. I went from the stock 275/65/18s on my F-150 to 275/70/18s). That increases ride height, which adversely affects aerodynamics and thus fuel mileage.

I went to E-rated tires for better puncture resistance driving USFS roads. IMO, they're not necessary for 1/2-ton towing in most situations—the P-metric tires that come on half-ton trucks from the factory are rated for more than the max load allowed by GVWR and GCWR, and I'm 99% sure that the OEMs have to use their OEM p-metric tires to pass the SAE J2807 towing tests for GCWR. If you haven't noticed adverse handling effects from squishy sidewalls, I don't see the benefit to you.

Also, "10-ply" and "4-ply" are really misnomers these days. Most "10-ply-rated" tires have three sidewall plies; most "4-ply-rated" tires have two; the letter grades for load range are the modern system, but the old nomenclature refuses to die. (c.f. https://www.tirebuyer.com/education/tire-ply-rating ).

Quote Originally Posted by NW_SKIER View Post
    This will be my second season on duratracs. Best tire I've ever had for all season use. They kick ass on snow and are wearing really nice.

They are kicking ass on the wife's Xterra as well.
    Just put a set of 265/70/17 Duratracs on my 4Runner and had one bad tire, brand-new. It balanced fine, but would shimmy the steering like crazy at 65mph. I rotated the spare around the truck just to make sure I had the bad one isolated, and then had to fight it out with America's Tire. Eventually after re-balancing it four times and me arguing it's still bad, they finally gave in (but still said nothing is wrong with the tire) and swapped it for a new one. And made me pay $21 to mount the new one after all my time and hassle of all the re-balancing and rotating the spare around the truck. Whatever, I'll be writing a letter to corporate. Thankfully the new tire runs fine, no shimmy. Nice not have to drive on the spare anymore.

Also have a set of General Altimax Arctic snows and they are fantastic on ice, it's mind boggling how good they are in the snow compared to regular all-seasons. And they're cheap, mounted on an OE wheelset off Craigslist.
    Last edited by 1000-oaks; 09-25-2018 at 11:21 PM.

Nice to get that sorted out. Nothing is more frustrating than buying something new and all it seems you acquired was a headache.

Personally, I can't wait til my current set of Duratracs wears out so I can size up to the new 285/75r18's.

So the wife's SUV has a tire size that very few off-road tires are made for. Only one I've found is this: YOKOHAMA GEOLANDAR A/T-S.

Anyone have them and like them? Anyone else have a good option at this size: 245/60-R18

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    So the wife's SUV has a tire size that very few off-road tires are made for. Only one I've found is this: YOKOHAMA GEOLANDAR A/T-S.

Anyone have them and like them? Anyone else have a good option at this size: 245/60-R18
    Been running them on the wife's rav4 for the last 2 winters. Pretty decent in the snow and quiet.

. I ran the Geolandar's for one year... .and I couldnt get rid of them fast enough. Super soft on the edges and cornered like shit. Was ok on wet pavement, snow traction was what is to be expected of an all season tire. You should be able to find a duratrack in a close enough size to fit... or beter yet get some Nokian's.

I feel your pain. There are currently only 2 tires on the market in the OEM size for Mrs Cruiser's suv. And, naturally, they both suck.
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

Why not size up? If they are mall crawling probably not going to get fender rub?

In need of some new tires for my Titan Pro-4X. I have a few A/T tires in mind but my biggest concern is durability/reliability and off-road performance. I had A/T Kumho Road Ventures on my Suburban and liked the performance for that SUV but I'm curious if there is a better option for a full size truck since there is a significantly different weight distribution on the ass end. I've been on quite a few truck forums and read quite a bit of reviews but most of those turds are in the flat lands and don't have a similar terrain difficulties. Warranty considerations are pretty Tommy Boy IMO (good look at a TBone by sticking my head up a bulls ass). There seems to be a pretty good track record with the duratracks but I'm just interested in application for full size trucks.

Currently looking at GY Duratracs, Cooper Discoverer, Hankook Dynapro ATMs, BFGoodrich AllTerrains, and the wildcard tires are the Nitto Terra Grapplers.

Quote Originally Posted by homebrewd View Post
    In need of some new tires for my Titan Pro-4X. I have a few A/T tires in mind but my biggest concern is durability/reliability and off-road performance. I had A/T Kumho Road Ventures on my Suburban and liked the performance for that SUV but I'm curious if there is a better option for a full size truck since there is a significantly different weight distribution on the ass end. I've been on quite a few truck forums and read quite a bit of reviews but most of those turds are in the flat lands and don't have a similar terrain difficulties. Warranty considerations are pretty Tommy Boy IMO (good look at a TBone by sticking my head up a bulls ass). There seems to be a pretty good track record with the duratracks but I'm just interested in application for full size trucks.

Currently looking at GY Duratracs, Cooper Discoverer, Hankook Dynapro ATMs, BFGoodrich AllTerrains, and the wildcard tires are the Nitto Terra Grapplers.

I had the Diesel Pro4x last winter.... truck its self was a total turd.... but when it did actually run, it was glued to the road with the Nokian Haakapilitas LT's on it. I upgraded to an F250 this spring and just bought the same tires (larger size for it). The coopers suck ass... only last a season on a full size truck and the compound is no where near as grippy once they start to wear. If you are in deep fresh snow a lot, then I'd go duratrack. If you drive a lot on compact snow / ice then I would go Nokians. If you are trying to save some $$ then the Hankook might be worth looking at. Similar tread pattern to the Nokian's but I have zero experience running them to know if the rubber compound is decent. I have never heard a single person say anthing good about the Nitto tires in snow.

Fuck TPMS. Why 2013 F250 requires 80psi in the rears which is a bit firm. Tire wear sucks. Anybody using any of the hacks or work arounds. I'd like to run something like 45psi unless hauling or towing heavy.

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    Fuck TPMS. Why 2013 F250 requires 80psi in the rears which is a bit firm. Tire wear sucks. Anybody using any of the hacks or work arounds. I'd like to run something like 45psi unless hauling or towing heavy.
    I don't know about the previous-gen 250, but I use ForSCAN in my 13th-gen F-150 to set the TPMS numbers where I want them (43 front / 41 rear), based on a chalk test.

I am still hunting for the right LT E range for my Ram 3500 Cummins. I tow our Airstream in the winter. Much of my driving is wet highways and freeway until I finally get to the snow zones. I am really looking for the best packed snow and ice performance as possible.

If I didn’t have to drive a lot of wet I would go with studs. I was goin. To buy Blizzaks until I watched a YouTube video.

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    My 2015 TPMS requires 65 all around. I run 55 rear when empty.

I've decided to go with the Nokian Nordman 7s on my 2016 Colorado for this winter. $777 out the door. I'll order them just before Thxgivn and get em shod the first week in December.

Wide Has Nordman's on her car and commutes Vail Pass a lot. She has liked them.

Is there a time of the season where there is clearance on snow tires? I feel like the tires on our Suby have at least another 6 months left on them so don't want to replace them right now, but don't want to get into the middle of a snowy winter and have shitty tires and nowhere to buy new ones.