Page 15 of 64 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast

Thread: Truck Tire Time

Quote Originally Posted by flowing alpy View Post
    they’re good the first 2 seasons then go downhill fast imo
    Two winters is all I ever get out of tires. I put new on in the fall and replace them just before their third winter. Any tire sucks at 3-4/32.

Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    Two winters is all I ever get out of tires. I put new on in the fall and replace them just before their third winter. Any tire sucks at 3-4/32.
    Yep, about $1K every other fall. Real trucks are expensive. But if you need one, what else can be done?

x3.

Been pretty happy with the Cooper ST Maxx on my Tundra. Burly construction, 3-ply armortek sidewall. Siped the center 2/3 tread width in December last year but they're too blocky to grip well on packed snow. When new with sharp edges on all the tread blocks, they were ok on packed and outstanding in deeper snow. Not snowflake rated.

New tires this fall will probably be BFGs.

This will be my second season on duratracs. Best tire I've ever had for all season use. They kick ass on snow and are wearing really nice.

They are kicking ass on the wife's Xterra as well.

Yeah, those are also in the running. Prob come down to price.

The Falken AT3W is getting great reviews. Also has a silica compound that helps with wear and snow/ice traction. They can also be had reasonably priced. My BFG’s will need replaced next fall and I may look at them. Will be tough to move away from the BFG KO2 since it has outperformed many other tires mentioned here hands down.

I have a ‘16 Tundra, and put about 20k per year on it, with 8k of it towing. Not much off-road, but a fair bit of snow. Not a ton of ice. Would love a single tire to leave on all year. Any good options out there? (18 pages of this thread gets a little bit confusing trying to sift through all the recs).

Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    The Falken AT3W is getting great reviews. Also has a silica compound that helps with wear and snow/ice traction. They can also be had reasonably priced. My BFG’s will need replaced next fall and I may look at them. Will be tough to move away from the BFG KO2 since it has outperformed many other tires mentioned here hands down.
    Im about 10,000 miles in on a set of AT3W’s. So far i am very impressed
    Samuel L. Jackson as Jules Winnfield: Oh, I'm sorry. Did I break your concentration?

@supermoon Michelin ltx ms2 if off road performance/look is unimportant to you.
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

Quote Originally Posted by teleee View Post
    Im about 10,000 miles in on a set of AT3W’s. So far i am very impressed
    Cool. Interested in a review after winter is over.

Quote Originally Posted by Cruiser View Post
    +1. LTX AT2 if off road performance and looks are important.

Got a new to me wrangler recently that will likely need tires in the next several months. It's mostly an around town/playing in the mountains toy so I want a nice aggressive tread pattern but I'm not willing to drop duratrack money on it.

Anyone have recs for an off brand mt tire that comes in 285.70.17? Something like the Milestar Patagonia mt?
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    +1. LTX AT2 if off road performance and looks are important.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cruiser View Post
    Thanks fellas. Will look into those.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8167.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	1.07 MB 
ID:	245105

Doh!

Quote Originally Posted by Supermoon View Post
    I have a ‘16 Tundra, and put about 20k per year on it, with 8k of it towing. Not much off-road, but a fair bit of snow. Not a ton of ice. Would love a single tire to leave on all year. Any good options out there? (18 pages of this thread gets a little bit confusing trying to sift through all the recs).
    Yokohoma Geolandar G015 is pretty good compromise if you don't need something with the off-road chops of the K02 (or similar). It carries the 3PMSF rating, unlike the LTX line. We've put about 23k on ours in all conditions -- no major complaints and it's especially good on wet roads. Granted this is on a Subaru Outback not a pickup, but the larger tire sizes are LT with deeper tread and larger shoulder blocks. Reviews on larger trucks also seem excellent ... again assuming you don't need something with more off-road chops.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

My experience is that cars tires, LTs and E rated 10 plys have nothing to do with each other. The builds are different and vehicles requirements are different.

Cruiser, check Hercules

Okay, feel free to disregard. It seems like a few of these tires have the P-metric or LT-metric depending on the size, but maybe they’re totally different tires. I’ll keep my nose out of the truck thread until I get a truck.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

New tires every two years? Ouch. Wtf, are you driving it on a treadmill?

Quote Originally Posted by mcski View Post
    Work trucks, 3/4ton or larger, putting about 15-20k km per year and we swap summers with winters. 2 years for winters and 3 years for summers, if the driver has a light foot. More than half the use is off pavement. Trying RockProof Nokians for summer; studded 10ply winter hakks for the past few years. No silver bullet yet.

Quote Originally Posted by mcski View Post
    2 winters 3 summers, 45k ish miles. Once they get to 4/32 I take them off. To much of a road hazard at that depth.

datapoint on wear/life:
    cooper A/TW: 8-9/32 remaining tread life after 20k total. 5 tires rotated every 5-7k miles. started at 14/32. "standard" load rating (2756lbs/tire). on 100-series stock land cruiser. majority of miles are loaded (maybe 6300lbs max) for camping.

currently, considering what to do with the earlier-pictured blown sidewall. i liked having a set of 5. does shaving down a new tire to match the others actually work?

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    datapoint on wear/life:
    cooper A/TW: 8-9/32 remaining tread life after 20k total. 5 tires rotated every 5-7k miles. started at 14/32. "standard" load rating (2756lbs/tire). on 100-series stock land cruiser. majority of miles are loaded (maybe 6300lbs max) for camping.

currently, considering what to do with the earlier-pictured blown sidewall. i liked having a set of 5. does shaving down a new tire to match the others actually work?
    In that situation, I'd just buy a used tire of the same size and load rating, for the spare, and skip the need for matching the exact brand and model. Do you have any sketchy tire shops in your area? Go there.

Shaving down a tire can be done, but you'll pay the cost of a brand new tire, and then the shaving cost, all just to get yourself a matching newly worn down tire.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    In that situation, I'd just buy a used tire of the same size and load rating, for the spare, and skip the need for matching the exact brand and model. Do you have any sketchy tire shops in your area? Go there.

Shaving down a tire can be done, but you'll pay the cost of a brand new tire, and then the shaving cost, all just to get yourself a matching newly worn down tire.
    thanks! good and useful suggestion!

I don't know how to cleanquuy They're are courier kids are you

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by rod9301 View Post
    I don't know how to cleanquuy They're are courier kids are you

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using TGR Forums mobile app
    Also a good and useful suggestion!

(depending on how high you are currently)
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.