Page 12 of 64 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast

Thread: Truck Tire Time

On my 3rd straight set of Duratracs. Recommended.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Nokian.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	1.36 MB 
ID:	216710

Fresh set of Nokian LT2's on my Tacoma. My second set and I am hooked. I may never get another brand of tire. The LT2 can be studded but I did not on either set. They come in big boy sizes too for you peeps that drive Tundras or Rams. Do yourself a favor and get the best.

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Pabst View Post
    Fresh set of Nokian LT2's on my Tacoma. My second set and I am hooked. I may never get another brand of tire. The LT2 can be studded but I did not on either set. They come in big boy sizes too for you peeps that drive Tundras or Rams. Do yourself a favor and get the best.
    I didn't bother taking a photo, but I'd second the recommendation. I went studded for the extra margin of grip on ice, but I don't think you can go wrong with Nokian. My Suburban was nearly impossible to get stuck with them many years ago, and so far the LT2s are living up to my expectations on my F-150. Drove up to the mountain both days this weekend with no grip issues at all despite a mix of compacted and refrozen crap, gravel on top of snow, and packed snow on the road. They provided enough grip that I didn't feel the need to bother changing out of ski boots to drive on Sunday (which I generally will do if I expect the ass end of the truck to want to get out of line).

Quote Originally Posted by Dirty.Harry. View Post
    On my 3rd straight set of Duratracs. Recommended.
    Just pulled the less than half used Stt pros off that came with my pickup and put Duratracs on. Loving them so far. Excited to get on some snow with them. Those Coopers were frightening.

Quote Originally Posted by anotherVTskibum View Post
    I didn't bother taking a photo, but I'd second the recommendation. I went studded for the extra margin of grip on ice, but I don't think you can go wrong with Nokian. My Suburban was nearly impossible to get stuck with them many years ago, and so far the LT2s are living up to my expectations on my F-150. Drove up to the mountain both days this weekend with no grip issues at all despite a mix of compacted and refrozen crap, gravel on top of snow, and packed snow on the road. They provided enough grip that I didn't feel the need to bother changing out of ski boots to drive on Sunday (which I generally will do if I expect the ass end of the truck to want to get out of line).
    You're driving with ski boots on?

Quote Originally Posted by tenB View Post
    You're driving with ski boots on?
    Apparently, for some reason, he can only do this when his truck remains in a straight line.

I have no idea how he makes it around a corner in dry pavement. Deserves an olympic medal.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Quote Originally Posted by NW_SKIER View Post
    Just pulled the less than half used Stt pros off that came with my pickup and put Duratracs on. Loving them so far. Excited to get on some snow with them. Those Coopers were frightening.
    Were they siped? I have the STTs from before they had a pro version siped on my FZJ80 and they crush all types of cold weather roads. I'm on my second set and had to search far and wide to find a pre-Pro version. I do think the FZJ80 would do pretty well on the snow with many different kinds of tires though.

Putting four new Bilstiens and four new Cooper AT3s on my F150 on Friday. Have the AT3s on my van and they do really well there too.

Neither of these will be as good as winter specific tires but I don't change seasonal tires out. I would like to maybe but we have four cars and it would be a pain whether is paying to store tires, storing tires, using snow wheels, paying to get them changed...

Quote Originally Posted by Conundrum View Post
    Were they siped? I have the STTs from before they had a pro version siped on my FZJ80 and they crush all types of cold weather roads. I'm on my second set and had to search far and wide to find a pre-Pro version. I do think the FZJ80 would do pretty well on the snow with many different kinds of tires though.

Putting four new Bilstiens and four new Cooper AT3s on my F150 on Friday. Have the AT3s on my van and they do really well there too.

Neither of these will be as good as winter specific tires but I don't change seasonal tires out. I would like to maybe but we have four cars and it would be a pain whether is paying to store tires, storing tires, using snow wheels, paying to get them changed...
    Not siped, no. I never felt like I had any grip on wet or snow covered roadways. Forget about driving in 2wd on slightly slick roads. I hated them. Couldn't relax.

For reference. 2016 taco with small suspension lift. 285/70 r17

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    Apparently, for some reason, he can only do this when his truck remains in a straight line.

I have no idea how he makes it around a corner in dry pavement. Deserves an olympic medal.
    Feathering the throttle to control a powerslide with ski boots on is more challenge then I want to deal with on a public road. If the ass end isn't breaking loose under moderate throttle, that becomes a non-issue, I'm not trying to drive like Ken Block. If you can drive gymkhana-style in ski boots, please share the video. Leather tele boots don't count.

More on-topic, A/T tires + packed snow = a very skittish back end in 2WD. Nokians (or snow tires in general) + packed snow = consistent grip, better feedback before breaking loose, and a more controllable switch from static to kinetic friction.

Lots of talk about the duratrac... I'll say I just got a set and I am so far impressed. They're quieter than the general grabbers I used to have

Quote Originally Posted by kwilder View Post
    Lots of talk about the duratrac... I'll say I just got a set and I am so far impressed. They're quieter than the general grabbers I used to have
    I've owned 3 sets and won't buy anything else for a mantruckmobile. Although I will admit I got some studded Hankook for my wife's fzj80 because she wanted an ice tire. I said, okay.

Quote Originally Posted by kwilder View Post
    That's crazy as my grabbers were waaaay quieter than the duratracs I have on my work truck. We have been running the duratracs on most of our work trucks only to be moving away from them to a different tire due to noise, steering wheel buzz as well as lack of longevity, winter traction and difficulty in getting them balanced.
    I am running the KO2 in my personal rig now and they blow the duratracs out of the water. Super quiet, zero buzz and way better winter performance, I have 15k on them and they still look new. They have about 98% of the duratracs performance in mud, the only place the duratracs are just a touch better but that can be handled by driver ability.

Here comes the bfg apologist.

Quote Originally Posted by Leavenworth Skier View Post
    Here comes the bfg apologist.
    Lol

Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    Lol
    You know my story on the bfg. I wish they had worked for me, I think they look cool.

Truck Tire Time

Quote Originally Posted by Leavenworth Skier View Post
    You know my story on the bfg. I wish they had worked for me, I think they look cool.
    Yep, sounded like you had a bad build. We have had several duratracs completely throw lugs and chunk as well as a few had the steel belts come apart. More reasons why our company is moving away from them. I was able to do a head to head and the KO2 is a better tire. The duratracs were installed the same time as my KO2's, granted the duratracs now have 35k on them but are right at 3/32 tread left and will be coming off next week. Many co workers have diesel trucks running the KO2 down gravel roads and such and have not had the issue you did. Again, I believe you received a bad build as can happen with any tire.

Quote Originally Posted by Conundrum View Post

Pssst... ATW is the same pattern, rated a bit less tread life, but softer compound that does better in winter. Not noticeably different than a standard AT tire in the summer when it was a hundred in Northern CA. But really really good in the winter.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

2011 Infiniti QX, same as new Armada. Stock Dueler HT is meh and pricy. Minimal off road but I need decent snow traction on hills. I’ve been happy with the Geolandars I have on an old 80 series cruiser, but what about Hancock Dynapro ATM? That looks like a solid option

They are loud for hwy/city driving. Look at the Michelin LTX MS/2 or the AT/2. I was looking at this time last year for my Landcuiser and went with AT tires; but would have gone with LTX's if I wanted more HWY/City performance. They usually go one sale now too.

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeRidges View Post
    2011 Infiniti QX, same as new Armada. Stock Dueler HT is meh and pricy. Minimal off road but I need decent snow traction on hills. I’ve been happy with the Geolandars I have on an old 80 series cruiser, but what about Hancock Dynapro ATM? That looks like a solid option

Hankook Dynapro ATM are quieter than Duratracs and better in/on most everything but deep mud or snow in my experience. Great on wet, snow and ice covered roads. Quiet on dry pavement for an aggressive AT tire. Durability is good. The price is quite attractive compared to similar options. I like them better than the different Coopers I had on my truck before. Those Koreans can make good tires.

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeRidges View Post
    Winter only or year-round compromise tires? If you're doing minimal warm-weather driving or can swap for the summer and don't need a rugged AT tire, I'd seriously think about the Cooper Discoverer M+S. I had them on my XTerra and was quite happy with them both in snow and on FS roads in the dry and (moderately) wet.

Thanks, trying to go year round. Most heavy snow would be in eastern Blue Ridge, which does get a dump a few times each year.

Fyi, 4wheelparts is having a huge tire sale, I'm looking at getting a set of 5 315/75 r16 Duratracs for $1100 delivered. That's basically like getting a free tire

Quote Originally Posted by esseff View Post
    They are loud for hwy/city driving. Look at the Michelin LTX MS/2 or the AT/2. I was looking at this time last year for my Landcuiser and went with AT tires; but would have gone with LTX's if I wanted more HWY/City performance. They usually go one sale now too.
    We recently installed LTX MS/2 along with Moto metal wheels and some brake job on brother's truck. Huge difference on handling and noise from previous Continental tires.
    Last edited by Dervan; 10-17-2018 at 10:14 AM.

Fresh set of Duratracs in the fall, been very impressed so far this winter. I have driven quite a bit in deep snow / slush on logging roads for sledding access and have had no issues.