Page 10 of 64 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast

Thread: Truck Tire Time

Quote Originally Posted by Cruiser View Post
    Michelin ltx ms2 maybe?
    Those are terrible on anything other than pavement.

Michelin ltx at2 then, IME great for shafty85's stated uses.

Quote Originally Posted by Leavenworth Skier View Post
    Those are terrible on anything other than pavement.
    No. They are excellent in the rain and good on snow and fair on ice. They have a silica tread optimized for 42 degree rain. We have off roaded with them in the San Juans plenty and they work okay. No issues with our slow speed crawling. They don't look aggressive enough with the lift we put on the 4R but have lasted forever. Killer tire for towing boats as well. Super stable.

The original ltx didn't have silica and they may deserve the dry pavement only designation but no way that can be said about the ltx ms2. Fantastic tire.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by uglymoney View Post
    No. They are excellent in the rain and good on snow and fair on ice. They have a silica tread optimized for 42 degree rain. We have off roaded with them in the San Juans plenty and they work okay. No issues with our slow speed crawling. They don't look aggressive enough with the lift we put on the 4R but have lasted forever. Killer tire for towing boats as well. Super stable.

The original ltx didn't have silica and they may deserve the dry pavement only designation but no way that can be said about the ltx ms2. Fantastic tire.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk
    Disagree. Kai_ski had them on his truck and it barely would stay on the road with a small trace of snow. He almost got stuck in my driveway with 3" of snow on it. And if you're having to drive on forest roads spring/fall with clay, they turn into a mud donut.

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    Michelin ltx at2 then, IME great for shafty85's stated uses.
    even worse

As a summer only road tire, at2 would probably be fine and wear forever. The ms2 is likely a decent year-round road only tire, it has sipes, unlike the at2, which should improve handling on ice.

ltx at2 were OEM on my truck. not recommended

No experience with them on mud^ so I defer to Leavenworth on that one but otherwise I disagree.

I have two cars with snow tires and all seasons and then the 4R with the LTX for the last 80k during which time we have driven out west in snowstorms and local use so I feel my opinion comes well measured. Also my dad borrowed my 4R to pull his 600 HP boat to a tournament last summer during a heavy midwestern rainstorm and all he could talk about for months was how well the LTX ms2 performed in the rain especially when he had to brake suddenly.

YMMV. Definitely not a snow tire but other all season tires are far worse on snow.

My only issue with them now is that I installed OME springs and Bilsteins on the 4R and the street tires kind of bring the whole look down and we frankly enjoy off roading a lot on our vacations. If it wasn't for that I would for sure get the LTX MS2's again. They don't look cool at all for sure.

It sounds like Leavenworth skier mixed up the at2 and the ms2.

IMO, it's stupid nomenclature.

Quote Originally Posted by kai_ski View Post
    even worse

As a summer only road tire, at2 would probably be fine and wear forever. The ms2 is likely a decent year-round road only tire, it has sipes, unlike the at2, which should improve handling on ice.

ltx at2 were OEM on my truck. not recommended
    Well, shafty85 said he has winter tires, but, again IME, you're wrong. I run my AT2s year-round, including >100 days working at the ski area. They are great for me on snow, dirt, desert, and hiway. I don't get a lot of ice, but they are good on packed and loose snow. But hey, read other people's reviews.

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    It sounds like Leavenworth skier mixed up the at2 and the ms2.

IMO, it's stupid nomenclature.
    I don't disagree, I briefly looked a picture and it looked the same as Kai's truck. Either way I prefer a more aggressive tire, especially on a big heavy truck. It'd be embarrassing to get stuck on a job site.

His truck weighs double what your 4runner does.

Either way tires are so hard to judge against all the different conditions they encounter. You just have to average out everybody's opinions. We can all be right about a tire even with diametrically opposed views.

Quote Originally Posted by uglymoney View Post
    Either way tires are so hard to judge against all the different conditions they encounter. You just have to average out everybody's opinions. We can all be right about a tire even with diametrically opposed views.
    Agreed. I'm just saying, job sites get muddy and big heavy diesel trucks get stuck easily in mud.

Truck tire life hack:

Discount tire will price match just about anywhere.

Make sure you shop online for the best deal. I found the tires I wanted for the f350 at significantly lower price than anywhere locally on 4wheelparts.com.

I then had discount price match. Saved $300 and didn't have to wait for tires to ship.

Truck tire life hack:

Discount tire will price match just about anywhere.

Make sure you shop online for the best deal. I found the tires I wanted for the f350 at significantly lower price than anywhere locally on 4wheelparts.com.

I then had discount price match. Saved $300 and didn't have to wait for tires to ship.
    What did you get? Duratrac's?

Big fan of the Cooper st maxx. After seeing a couple buddies get them for their 4runner and fj cruiser, I put a set on my 80 series cruiser, and they are the tits. I went tall and skinny. 255/80/16. Great in the snow, good in the mud, quiet around town. Seem to be wearing pretty well, I have like 15k miles on them, and I would say 20‰ or less worn.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using TGR Forums mobile app
    sigless.

Quote Originally Posted by Kopi_Red View Post
    What did you get? Duratrac's?
    I ended up going with bfg k02s. I love the duratrac but in the specific size I was getting for the truck, the k02 was almost $75 per tire cheaper.

I ended up going with bfg k02s. I love the duratrac but in the specific size I was getting for the truck, the k02 was almost $75 per tire cheaper.
    K02s. Very nice! I bought some last year and I really like them.

Gonna pick up a set of Cooper ATWs at the end of summer

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2...re-review.html

Michelin LTX A/T2 came stock on my truck (4x4 supercrew f150) and I was so impressed by them I spent extra to get them again. Excellent ride quality on the highway, great in the rain, long life, I find them to be good in the snow*, and fine for the mild creek-road type off roading I've done with that truck.

*I replaced them at 65,000 miles because the snow performance started to degrade even though I still had safe/legal amounts of tread left for summer use

Quote Originally Posted by TexasGortex View Post
    Michelin LTX A/T2 came stock on my truck (4x4 supercrew f150) and I was so impressed by them I spent extra to get them again. Excellent ride quality on the highway, great in the rain, long life, I find them to be good in the snow*, and fine for the mild creek-road type off roading I've done with that truck.

*I replaced them at 65,000 miles because the snow performance started to degrade even though I still had safe/legal amounts of tread left for summer use
    It seems like the people happy with these tires are on lighter, smaller trucks. I wonder if my bad impression was painted by Kai's truck due to the weight.

So many variables are at play, who knows. Sounds plausible to me though.

My father-in-law likes those Michelin ATs on his half-ton too. Was happy with them this winter around Truckee. YMMV.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Truck Tire Time

Biggest tire that will fit on a stock F150 with 17" rims? Currently 265/75/R17. Go

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by shredgnar; 06-28-2017 at 12:31 PM.

^^^ So you're getting new rims? Or you just mistyped the current size? What year f150?
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

Truck Tire Time

Ha oops. Keeping the same rims maybe going bigger. 2013. Maybe a 2" or 4" lift. Just need a little more clearance for moderate off-roading. Currently running cooper discoverys. Might sell them and the rims. Thinking black rims with BFGs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anyone have any experience with the Radar Renegade AT/5, particularly in an LT (E-rated) variant? I ended up with a set on my F-150 as a result of some miscommunication with/at the tire shop (I thought I had ordered the Falken Wildpeak AT/3, but that's not what I ended up with). They do fine on pavement; handling is actually less impacted versus the stock Goodyear Wrangler HT than I expected. I haven't had them off pavement yet, but given the tread pattern, I suspect they'll be just fine for my gravel-road use and the occasional forest-service road (the reason I went with an LT-rated AT tire; I cut the sidewall on one of the stock tires on my first such drive).

I was originally planning to do what I've done since my first car and run dedicated winter tires October - April, but these do have a mountain-and-snowflake rating and some siping. I'm sure they'll be fine in deeper snow with the AT pattern, but I'm wondering about packed snow and ice.