My Buddies Found an Apocalypse Cache in a Cave

I've spend this summer as a carpenter up in the Eagle Cap Wilderness. The area I'm working in use to be a horsethief hideaway some years ago. Lotsa the locals say this is where they would come to survive an apocalypse. Yesterday my buddies were hiking around the area, and found a cave up in the cliffs across the river. Inside sat three barrels filled with survival gear. Saws, Traps, a fishing kit, Horseshoes, ropes. They only went through some of the stuff, and the only thing found with a date was a can of Criso with an expiration date in '79.

The cave is somewhere up in these hills

Part of what was inside - 3 Musketeer Bars, a fishing kit, Horseshoes and nails, animal traps, rope, and chocolate chips. I was amazed how well preserved everything was inside of the barrel. No rust, no rot.

Horseshoes inside vs outside of the barrel.

I only have one day off before I leave for my winter job. Hopefully I can get up there to do some investigating myself.
    Last edited by tBatt; 11-07-2016 at 10:32 PM.

Crisco isn't for cooking, so may be recently put there. Apocolypsing is a lonely business.

Quote Originally Posted by SkiBall View Post
    Crisco isn't for cooking, so may be recently put there. Apocolypsing is a lonely business.
    Well, when a couple of them rugged Western fellas find themselves in the wilderness after the apocalypse without any women folk around...

...and all they have is a 37-year-old vat of Crisco...

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    ...and all they have is a 37-year-old vat of Crisco...
    DD?
    I still call it The Jake.

honestly, i'd be a little nervous digging into somebody's doomsday stash. seems like it would have significantly higher odds of being booby trapped.

honestly, i'd be a little nervous digging into somebody's doomsday stash. seems like it would have significantly higher odds of being booby trapped.
    I thought the same thing, but Crisco that expired in 1979 probably helps lighten the mood. It'd be a whole lot more disconcerting to find a bunch of modern MREs and .223 rounds.

I wonder if this might have been a cache left by prospectors or something like that?

Quote Originally Posted by idahospud View Post
    Well, when a couple of them rugged Western fellas find themselves in the wilderness after the apocalypse without any women folk around...
    There was a box of tampons in there, so either the guy was planning on bringing a Jane in with him, was already hitched, or by god it was a rugged western gal.

Quote Originally Posted by wyeaster View Post
    Agreed, but the other guys went in first no issues.

Send me the ice axe
    Zone Controller

"He wants to be a pro, bro, not some schmuck." - Hugh Conway

"DigitalDeath would kick my ass. He has the reach of a polar bear." - Crass3000

Quote Originally Posted by digitaldeath View Post
    Send me the ice axe
    You strike me as more of a Crisco man.

Quote Originally Posted by tBatt View Post
    There was a box of tampons in there, so either the guy was planning on bringing a Jane in with him, was already hitched, or by god it was a rugged western gal.

Agreed, but the other guys went in first no issues.
    One box? I guess the plan is to repopulate the earth.
    "One season per year, the gods open the skies, and releases a white, fluffy, pillow on top of the most forbidding mountain landscapes, allowing people to travel over them with ease and relative abandonment of concern for safety. It's incredible."

Is the bicycle tube repair kit really in there? Or did they just use the can for other crap? If so, post that shit in sprockets!
    However many are in a shit ton.

That's a gobshite apocalypse cache. Horseshoes and chocolate chips?
    More like a horse fucking cache. No wonder it was abandoned.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    That's a gobshite apocalypse cache. Horseshoes and chocolate chips?
    More like a horse fucking cache. No wonder it was abandoned.
    I have to agree with Stuck here. That's pretty weak as far as apocalypse caches go.

You want to hear about the mother lode of doomsday prepper stashes? Back when I was a kid we lived along the Oregon coast. My buddies and I were into local folklore and one big story was about this nutcase prepper from the 1800s that stashed a ton of necessary supplies should shit ever hit the fan.

Dude disappeared and plenty of people just wrote him off as a kook. We didn't, and went looking for it. It took a lot of doing, and we had some pretty pissed off people trying to stop us, nevermind exploring tidal catacombs filled with danger.

Anyway we found it and holy shit were the legends right. This guy was preparing for the apocalypse and then some. He had it all, a ship, enough money to buy Equatorial Guinea, weapons... the works.

A film crew did a piece on us and our find and we're we're also able to save the town but that's another story.

Good luck with your bucket.

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    I have to agree with Stuck here. That's pretty weak as far as apocalypse caches go.

You want to hear about the mother lode of doomsday prepper stashes? Back when I was a kid we lived along the Oregon coast. My buddies and I were into local folklore and one big story was about this nutcase prepper from the 1800s that stashed a ton of necessary supplies should shit ever hit the fan.

Dude disappeared and plenty of people just wrote him off as a kook. We didn't, and went looking for it. It took a lot of doing, and we had some pretty pissed off people trying to stop us, nevermind exploring tidal catacombs filled with danger.

Anyway we found it and holy shit were the legends right. This guy was preparing for the apocalypse and then some. He had it all, a ship, enough money to buy Equatorial Guinea, weapons... the works.

A film crew did a piece on us and our find and we're we're also able to save the town but that's another story.

You were the inspiration for "The Goonies"?

jgb@etree Guest

Wtf. You found One Eye'd Willie's treasure???

Chunk?

Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    Is the bicycle tube repair kit really in there?
    What size wheels is it for?
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

It was found in a Wilderness Area; that glue hasn't worked since '84.

The land of Genesee Cream Ale and homemade pierogies!
    Highly interesting, something that would be cool to peruse in a solving-a-mystery sort of way.

The bicycle repair kit looks like it's from the 1960s. You might be able to get a better time line from that alone.

It's curious a bicycle inner tube repair kit, but no bike. Either someone else snagged the bike if one was there, or the prepper was going to ride his/her bike there. Mountain bikes didn't exist in the 60s or 70s.

Did you take any pictures of the immediate area, any footprints to suggest people were recently there?
    “The best argument in favour of a 90% tax rate on the rich is a five-minute chat with the average rich person.”

- Winston Churchill, paraphrased.

I like how the real treasure is not the time you spent together with your buds and the adventures you had but its actual fucking treasure.

The land of Genesee Cream Ale and homemade pierogies!
    Quote Originally Posted by flowing alpy View Post
    We rode our bikes in the mountains all the time before you needed a special bike to ride trails.
    We did too. Learned real quick off-road busted things up, flat tires, bent rims, broken frames. On even the then-tank-like schwinn and similar bikes. Local landscape and geology makes a difference I suppose.
    “The best argument in favour of a 90% tax rate on the rich is a five-minute chat with the average rich person.”

- Winston Churchill, paraphrased.

Quote Originally Posted by idahospud View Post
    This place always delivers. now I gotta clean the coffee off my screen.
    "Can't you see..."

My Buddies Found an Apocalypse Cache in a Cave

Great. Someone's grandpa in the area stashed that years ago to be ready..."come on Martha, git yer ass movin, I got a stash up in the cave ready for this EXACT moment, been ready for years"

Sorry grandpa Herman, someone found your stash, posted it on the internet and made butt sex jokes about your Crisco.

America. Fuck yea!!

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    What size wheels is it for?
    Don't get Damian started please.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang