Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10
    Quote Originally Posted by warthog View Post
    Where does doing nothing factor in? My brilliant investment strategy has always been to pump a set amount into my 401k, and not worry about it until I am 10 years away from retirement. The way I see it, I have bought a shitload more shares when the market was down. I will slowly move some of it into less risky shit once I hit 50 I think.

I don't get paid to think about this shit all day long though, so maybe my take is a bit amateur?

disagree.

look up lance Roberts at realinvestmentadvice.com and look thru his stuff about things like staying invested all the time vs. missing the 10 worst day in the market and managed investing. of course he will not tell me, but I thin he is a moving average investor and changes to more conservative at some point; that's what I do now. if the s+p is under the 200 moving day average, i'm probably out of the market. market dropped this summer, most stayed all in and it recovered; but I side stepped it and had more principle to reinvest once the trend reversed; people that stayed all in just recovered their loses.
    TGR forums cannot handle SkiCougar !

Quote Originally Posted by SkiCougar View Post
    disagree.

look up lance Roberts at realinvestmentadvice.com and look thru his stuff about things like staying invested all the time vs. missing the 10 worst day in the market and managed investing. .
    You can say the same thing about the majority of gains coming within 10 days - the point is that unless you somehow know when to be in for the good days or out for the bad days, you are likely to miss.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by cloud cult View Post
    Estimates are that stocks would fall 7-12 percent if Trump wins. I'm generally a buy-and-hold type and a 12 percent loss would not spell financial ruin for us, but still wondering what sorts of reasonable proactive measures I can take in the event of a Trump win.

Anyone else in the same boat?
    DJIA 29,000!

And where would the market be without the non federal reserve?

Drumpf sure changed his tune. And takes all the credit.
    . . .

I did 18.9% in the 401k for 2019...missed out on about 5% due to moving out of stocks at high points during the year. Personally, I would have been happy with 5% s&p growth and not had the US gov borrow 1 trillion $$ and drop interest rates, because the Trump strategy doesn't seem sustainable. Boom and bust only works for the very wealthy.

Obviously I was way off in my 2019 predictions, >-20% to 0% is my call for 2020.

The higher it goes the harder it falls when it eventually will. Highly inflated now. My 401k looks amazeballs right now...

Quote Originally Posted by 406 View Post
    I did 18.9% in the 401k for 2019...missed out on about 5% due to moving out of stocks at high points during the year. Personally, I would have been happy with 5% s&p growth and not had the US gov borrow 1 trillion $$ and drop interest rates, because the Trump strategy doesn't seem sustainable. Boom and bust only works for the very wealthy.

Obviously I was way off in my 2019 predictions, >-20% to 0% is my call for 2020.
    Based on US Treasury estimate of 2020 revenue of $3.64 trillion that is over $1 trillion more than 2012.

FY 2019 - $3.44 trillion, estimated1
    FY 2018 - $3.33 trillion
    FY 2017 - $3.32 trillion
    FY 2016 - $3.27 trillion
    FY 2015 - $3.25 trillion
    FY 2014 - $3.02 trillion
    FY 2013 - $2.77 trillion

Well, I'm looking a lot smarter after the last few days...my bond funds should do well today.

aren't we due for a smug Bobby Finstock post in here soon? oh, my bad...
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by 406 View Post
    Well, I'm looking a lot smarter after the last few days...my bond funds should do well today.
    Check again. Mine are down 4% in a week and down today. Cash is king

They don't update until after market close. Hopefully still doing better than all stocks, which is what I was a few months ago. As of close yesterday, I'm down 10.7% YTD. I was 1 click from selling all the FSMDX on Feb 19, but chickened out.

Name:  Screen Shot 2020-03-18 at 9.45.00 AM.png
Views: 181
Size:  77.4 KB

I have 20 years until I can withdraw money, so not worried. I am thinking about buying back into the stock funds, don't want to get greedy, but still seems long way to go down.