Page 43 of 43 FirstFirst ... 38 39 40 41 42 43
Results 1,051 to 1,057 of 1057

Thread: Climate Change

Climate Change

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    https://www.cbc.ca/news/science/fore...ires-1.4444998

"Bigger, hotter wildfires are ravaging forests and burning them to the ground more frequently as the climate gets hotter and drier. Now a new study shows that in some places in the U.S., those forests may never grow back."
    Okay, Iím just telling you what I see. A study saying that the forests MAY never grow back isnít definitive. No?

The areas Iím talking about are in Wilderness. No tree planting or other management. The entire forest burned and nothing but ash on the ground, all duff gone. Vegetation is coming back, wildflowers, then brush like sage, ceanothus, ocean spray and berries. Next the pine, fir, larch and aspen shows up.

Iím sure climate change will have an impact in the future but right now thatís not what I see on the ground.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Sidebar:
    Commercial forest farming has developed ways to pattern out land to keep producing wood for lumber, paper etc. It seems like the issue of creating forests is not necessarily a wait-for-nature timeline if itís used strategically.
    [this does not obviate the need for natural spaces at allÖjust pointing out that we have an industry that understands how to create forest quickly and repetitively]

Itís not a one size solution. As kocher points out in the Twitter thread linked upstream, some forest species, like lodgepole pine, need hot fire for seed germination, while other trees, like pondo pine, need living trees nearby for germination.

There are tree plantation methods that forest scientists and fire ecologists believe can allow for silviculture to occur with minimized wildfire hazard. The term ďpyrosilvicultureĒ is used often. Many private timber property owners/managers do not practice this method, apparently, because of liability. One of the common silviculture practices creates high potential for high severity wildfire.

We just need more nuclear plants, located in your backyard, not mine

Quote Originally Posted by This End Up View Post
    We just need more nuclear plants, located in your backyard, not mine
    Thatís it. Everyone wants to save the planet, until it affects them personally.

If the trees arenít going to grow back on their own, it doesnít seem like a good idea to try to force it. Youíre just making more vulnerable fuel.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Climate Change

Whatever grows back, without maintenance, will become vulnerable fuel.The concept in California by the new wildfire and forest resilience task force is to replant, restore, and maintain. Replanting does not necessarily mean dense tree plantations of traditionally marketable trees.