Page 9 of 71 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast

Thread: Climate Change

^ primary goal of carbon tax is economic deterrent similar to excise taxes on cigarettes and alcohol, no?

Quote Originally Posted by mbillie1 View Post
    ^ primary goal of carbon tax is economic deterrent similar to excise taxes on cigarettes and alcohol, no?
    Yes. If you set the price right, you can just refund the dough to every income taxpayer in the form of a refundable credit. Then you're fully revenue-neutral and you're achieving your emissions reduction. That's how the one on the ballot in WA was structured - for the life of me, I'm pissed at the Sierra Club and some of the other clowns for not going to bat for it.

Quote Originally Posted by goldengatestinx View Post
    Funny about your last sentence, I just said essentially the same thing in another thread about blacks being violent and causing their own problems. They called me a racist. Are you a climate racist? Just kidding.

But you didn't address my statement about carbon taxing and where the funds actually end up. If the $$ goes to the political drones, Al Gores, etc, how does that help reduce warming? (And not only those types, Solyndra executives made off with millions in bonuses from government subsidies while leaving a toxic waste dump here in Colorado when they drove the company into bankruptcy.)

I'm all for doing positive things, but tossing boat loads of my dollars into something that doesn't actually do anything or holding the people responsible for the funds is stupid, regardless if the celebs, politicians, etc say it's for the children.
    So your only issue is with where the taxed money goes? that is a very legitimate concern, though I think that the marketing aspect of AGW is needed in some capacity in order to convince the willfully ignorant... which brings us back to what you said about not believing in the climate change science that has been published and analyzed to date. Smh.

I personally would like to see carbon/emissions tax money go to NASA, which has a much broader mission than just space travel. How about yourself, where would you like to see the carbon/emission tax money go?

Also, about the racist thing. folks want you to look at the why. It is multi layered and complex. Its not as simple as black guy shoots black guy, therefore blacks cause their own problems. But that's obviously another topic for another forum

Quote Originally Posted by mbillie1 View Post
    I personally wouldn't waste even a second of my time engaging with someone posting pepe memes.
    Yep.
    They think I do not know a buttload of crap about the Gospel, but I do.

Well, this is as good of a place as any to post this. Curious if it will have ANY effect on the swamp...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.1c7a4906a326
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

TGR sure has changed (for the better). I remember some 5 years ago I posted some climate change information and asked other skiers what they thought... Promptly got told to "fuck off." Guess people were in the denial stage back then, now we're into acceptance where things can actually happen and change for the better

https://history.aip.org/climate/timeline.htm

Tyndall discovers that some gases block infrared radiation. He suggests that changes in the concentration of the gases could bring climate change

Callendar argues that CO2 greenhouse global warming is underway, reviving interest in the question.

Boulder, Colo. meeting on causes of climate change: Lorenz and others point out the chaotic nature of climate system and the possibility of sudden shifts

Serious droughts since 1972 increase concern about climate, with cooling from aerosols suspected to be as likely as warming; scientists are doubtful as journalists talk of a new ice age

Election of Reagan brings backlash against environmental movement to power. Political conservatism is linked to skepticism about global warming.

Ramanathan and collaborators announce that global warming may come twice as fast as expected, from rise of methane and other trace greenhouse gases.
    Villach Conference declares consensus among experts that some global warming seems inevitable, calls on governments to consider international agreements to restrict emissions
    Antarctic ice cores show that CO2 and temperature went up and down together through past ice ages, pointing to powerful biological and geochemical feedbacks

Climate scientists (although not the public) recognize that even if all greenhouse gas emissions could be halted immediately, global warming will continue for millennia

Mean global temperature is 14.8°C, the warmest in thousands of years. Level of CO2 in the atmosphere reaches 400 ppm, the highest in millions of years.

Quote Originally Posted by Aus George View Post
    TGR sure has changed (for the better). I remember some 5 years ago I posted some climate change information and asked other skiers what they thought... Promptly got told to "fuck off." Guess people were in the denial stage back then, now we're into acceptance where things can actually happen and change for the better
    Join date Dec 2014.

Quote Originally Posted by Mazderati View Post
    Join date Dec 2014.
    I had an old account I stopped using cause I got sick of the BS... Then a few years later came back (forgot old email, name etc) cause I love the BS now haha

Hold in your toots. You are doing all of us a favor.

Climate Change

Depressing stuff. Can’t help but feel we’re on the downhill with no hope in turning things around.

https://grist.org/article/the-world-...hange-is-here/

Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    Depressing stuff. Can’t help but feel we’re on the downhill with no hope in turning things around.

Yep. It is hard not to feel overwhelmed by panic and despair right now, especially as a somewhat-young person with very-young kids.

I have the option to move wherever I want (within reason), but I do not think there is a place to go where we won't feel the effects. For now, we are staying put and preparing to eat the rest of this shit sandwich. Sucks

Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post

Yep pretty much.

We kind of missed the action decades. And most of us know why. I had a chemistry teacher in the 90s who laid this stuff out pretty well. We've known this for a long time. And now we listen to BS about the anthropological influence. The denial is still going on.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

And people get all jazzed because they stopped using plastic straws...wow, we’re saved!!

Long and behind a paywall and just about as depressing as you need to ruin a Hump day. Coulda, woulda and shoulda.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...T.nav=top-news

Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo View Post
    Yep pretty much.

We kind of missed the action decades. And most of us know why. I had a chemistry teacher in the 90s who laid this stuff out pretty well. We've known this for a long time. And now we listen to BS about the anthropological influence. The denial is still going on.
    Yup.

Rachel Carson wes testifying in Congress about this in the Fifties (Silent Spring was not her only focus). There were others, long before that, who reasoned we were darkening our skis and heating the atmosphere in the process. Voices in the wilderness in their time.

I will say that while there is a need to avoid panicing the +/- 3 billions of coastal dwellers, the slow march of officials discussing consequences is far too slow. It makes me wonder if the delay is deliberate.

No matter if the delay is or isn't deliberate, the wise with means will purchase reasonably arable and reliably watered land that is more than 100 miles inland, above 1000' and is barely accessible today. In that way their heirs will have a place to live that will be far less likely to be part of the land neccessarily taken to house the coastally displaced.

I have been saying that for over 20 years and have heard all the guff. Be wise.
    The sad truth is that whine does not age well

A Yellowstone eruption or Nuclear Winter can reset the planet. It's just going to require massive human casualties in the process.
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

https://www.livescience.com/60050-de...-month-us.html
    July temperatures in Death Valley have incinerated previous records.

With an average daily high temperature of 107.4 degrees Fahrenheit (41.9 degrees Celsius), July was the valley's hottest month on record, blazing through the former record of 107.2 degrees F (41.8 degrees C) set in 1917, the National Weather Service's Las Vegas Forecast Office (NWS Las Vegas) wrote Aug. 2

https://www.forbes.com/sites/brianbr.../#1b6034a726f9
    Death Valley, California, just wrapped up their hottest month on record. The famously hot location saw an average daily temperature in July 2018 of 108.1°F (42.3­°C). Remember that this is the average daily temperature – not the daily high temperature (see chart below). Last July (2017), the Death Valley station at the National Park Service Visitor’s Center reported a world record monthly temperature of 107.3°F (41.8°C). Assuming no other station bested Death Valley in July 2018 (more later), this means Death Valley broke the world record in back-to-back years! Let that sink in for a minute.

Here in Auburn, CA the average high is 90 in July. We had 3 days this year that were below average.

PORTLAND, Ore. — The official July climate report for PDX shows an average high temperature of 87.5 degrees, which ties the July of 1985 as the warmest all time.

The mean temperature was 74 degrees, which is the 2nd warmest on record. The average low was 60.5, coming in as the 5th warmest in recorded history.

Also breaking records was the 15 90-degree days. The total is the highest number of hot 90-degree days for any month at PDX.

https://www.kgw.com/article/weather/.../283-579390264

Image-1.jpg
    Scientists monitoring new marine heat wave off B.C. coast similar to 'the Blob'
    A new marine heat wave spreading across a portion of the Pacific Ocean off the coast of British Columbia resembles the infamous "blob" that disrupted marine life five years ago. 

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...blob-1.5271870

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    "...if you're not doing a double flip cork something, skiing spines in Haines, or doing double flip cork somethings off spines in Haines, you're pretty much just gaping."

What the megadrought means to the American West

Our battery is being depleted, which is bad news for us skiers and everyone else.

Farmers dependent upon water from river systems in the American West are seeing massive cuts in their supply, as reservoirs drop to their lowest levels due to the worst drought to hit the region in 1,200 years. Correspondent Ben Tracy talks with scientists who say there is no quick or easy recovery, and with a California farmer whose livelihood is in danger.

https://www.cbsnews.com/video/what-t...-american-west

Climate Change

Anybody still care to argue climate change isn't real or happening already?Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1970.JPG 
Views:	104 
Size:	1.14 MB 
ID:	379856
    Last edited by WMD; 07-18-2021 at 10:59 PM.

1200 years…

Quote Originally Posted by fomofo View Post
    Our battery is being depleted, which is bad news for us skiers and everyone else.

Farmers dependent upon water from river systems in the American West are seeing massive cuts in their supply, as reservoirs drop to their lowest levels due to the worst drought to hit the region in 1,200 years. Correspondent Ben Tracy talks with scientists who say there is no quick or easy recovery, and with a California farmer whose livelihood is in danger.

https://www.cbsnews.com/video/what-t...-american-west
    I was listening to an NPR interview with some farmers, and it struck me how many of them seemed to blame this on environmental protections restricting the amount of water they could pull. Seemed like they were only worried about water usage for the next 2-3 years without any concern for what might happen after that...