Page 5 of 71 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Thread: Climate Change

Quote Originally Posted by LegoSkier View Post
    Seriously? Why the fuck are we still having this discussion? You know what, fuck AGW. Sure, global warming is something we should keep an eye on and prepare for mitigating factors but it sure as fuck doesn’t matter to me as far as energy policy is concerned.
    Agreed 100%.

Quote Originally Posted by LegoSkier View Post
    The simple fact is combustion and heat engines are inherently inefficient. Combustion can never be anywhere close to 100% efficient. Second law of thermodynamics rules that and cannot be changed. Furthermore, combustion of organic fuels spews forth toxic chemicals.
    To add to this, electric drivetrains are so demonstrably superior to ICEs it's not even funny. 100% torque at zero RPM, dozens of moving parts vs. thousands, nearly silent, etc.

Shouldn't directly compare efficiency of electric engine to ICE in modern transportation, though. No question electric engine is more efficient - it moves the majority of freight across the continent on rails for decades. But we still haven't, or perhaps are just reaching, parity with the portability/storage capacity of electric batteries as compared to the efficiency of carbon fuels for this purpose. But otherwise agreed on all counts.

Now I'm just praying some Quazar takes aim at earth and blasts our asses into extinction.

There's good news and bad news

The Good News first? We get to find out for sure whether the AGW thing is real or not. The only real way to find out if something is poisonous is to poison something, so lets unleash carbon emissions and see if it sends us into an unrecoverable warming acceleration.

The Bad News - we're going to see if AGW is real.
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Keystone is fucking lame. But, deadly.

FUCK DONALD TRUMP!

Quote Originally Posted by goldengatestinx View Post
    What was used to mine and process the raw materials to build the electric car, batteries and charge the batteries? Quite the rail car(s) of crude oil and coal for the whole process.

The Paris Accord is a treaty. It was not ratified by 2/3 of the senate as required in the Constitution. Therefore it is not in force for the US to participate. Clear and Constitutional. Simple. Done. Finished. No further discussion required.
    No one has said it was a treaty. Its nonbinding. There were zero reasons to pull out. Trump could have changed what ever policy he wanted, financial contributions are voluntary, etc. The next president will likely just rejoin.

Climate Change

Quote Originally Posted by neufox47 View Post
    No one has said it was a treaty. Its nonbinding. There were zero reasons to pull out. Trump could have changed what ever policy he wanted, financial contributions are voluntary, etc. The next president will likely just rejoin.
    That next President could be 7.5 years away. I'm not saying that's likely but it's possible.

I read somewhere that we lost 10-15 years of progress with Bush backing out of Kyoto. This could have those kind of lasting effects in a time we don't have time.

Seriously, what will convince these climate change deniers? Manhattan and Miami under water?

That won't be enough. They will figure out something. The think tanks are well paid by the kochtopus to always have a good reason to do the wrong thing as long as it keeps the brothers growing wealth.

Theres no reason other nations can't pay for their own climate saving actions. The $19 billion the US was going to pay other nations (and mainly go into the pockets of Al Gore and the other 'ecologists' jetting around the world in their private planes, huge yachts, and heating their multiple mansions) is better spent here in the USA, reduce our taxes, pay down debt, fix I-70, etc.

Also no reason yall who believe this crap can't write checks to these charlatans. I'm sure they'll cash them and use them for only lowering carbon dioxide emissions.

No worries. China will gladly fill the vacuum we've so gladly vacated.
    Did the last unsatisfied fat soccer mom you took to your mom's basement call you a fascist? -irul&ublo
    Don't Taze me bro.

Quote Originally Posted by goldengatestinx View Post
    Theres no reason other nations can't pay for their own climate saving actions. The $19 billion the US was going to pay other nations (and mainly go into the pockets of Al Gore and the other 'ecologists' jetting around the world in their private planes, huge yachts, and heating their multiple mansions) is better spent here in the USA, reduce our taxes, pay down debt, fix I-70, etc.

Also no reason yall who believe this crap can't write checks to these charlatans. I'm sure they'll cash them and use them for only lowering carbon dioxide emissions.
    Fascists should be shot. Every last one of them. My apologies that my family spared a few for the sake of decency and avoiding war crimes. One of the hallmarks of a fascist is to lie through ones teeth in an attempt to annihilate truth. Again, my apologies that we left any alive.

Quote Originally Posted by Sirshredalot View Post
    Fascists should be shot. Every last one of them. My apologies that my family spared a few for the sake of decency and avoiding war crimes. One of the hallmarks of a fascist is to lie through ones teeth in an attempt to annihilate truth. Again, my apologies that we left any alive.
    what does this rant have anything to do with what you quoted? Off your meds?

The trolling potential of a bunch of liberal white dudes who don't have degrees in atmospheric science is too easy so I'm not touching this thread again (I don't know shit either and debating politicized science with someone else, who's worldviews are set in stone, is completely moronic on both sides). This is just a circle jerk. And blaming Trump for ANYTHING just shows how clueless you are as to how the world works. Climate change debate is a waste of fucking time. This is coming from someone raised by a liberal fisheries biologist, and who enjoys and embraces nature more than most in here.
    Last edited by BGnight; 06-02-2017 at 11:52 PM.

Climate Change

It seems like the more $ you get, the more outlandish your denial of climate change

http://resistancereport.com/politics...blicans-paris/

Wow dump was full of shit......again

http://resistancereport.com/news/tru...-mit-responds/
    Last edited by grinch; 06-03-2017 at 12:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BGnight View Post
    dudes who don't have degrees in atmospheric science
    I do have such a degree and currently work in academia in the general field of "climate science". If people have specific questions regarding the actual science part of things and want some input I will make a genuine attempt to answer. The more controversial issues typically pertain to the policy side of things. I like to avoid touching that slimy can of angry worms as much as possible
    Ich bitte dich nur, weck mich nicht.

Quote Originally Posted by klar View Post
    I do have such a degree and currently work in academia in the general field of "climate science". If people have specific questions regarding the actual science part of things and want some input I will make a genuine attempt to answer. The more controversial issues typically pertain to the policy side of things. I like to avoid touching that slimy can of angry worms as much as possible
    Word. 1st question....how screwed are we?
    #1 goal this year......stay alive +
    DOWN SKIS

Quote Originally Posted by geo039 View Post
    Word. 1st question....how screwed are we?
    That doesn't count as a specific question! Define "we" and "screwed".

Quote Originally Posted by klar View Post
    That doesn't count as a specific question! Define "we" and "screwed".
    We=humans and "screwed" meaning that we have already broke the planet
    #1 goal this year......stay alive +
    DOWN SKIS

as long as the poor go first again!

The mini ice age is coming and it's gonna hurt much much worse than any warming scenario. And guess what? Ain't nothing you can do about it. So listen to your NPR, bitch about Trump, go for a ride on your $7000 enduro, and keep pretending there's political solutions that will "save the world". Oh, and keep ignoring all the true atrocities happening across the globe because ZOMG!, I might have to deal with rising snow levels! THE HUMANITY!!!
    what does this rant have anything to do with what you quoted? Off your meds?

The trolling potential of a bunch of liberal white dudes who don't have degrees in atmospheric science is too easy so I'm not touching this thread again (I don't know shit either and debating politicized science with someone else, who's worldviews are set in stone, is completely moronic on both sides). This is just a circle jerk. And blaming Trump for ANYTHING just shows how clueless you are as to how the world works. Climate change debate is a waste of fucking time. This is coming from someone raised by a liberal fisheries biologist, and who enjoys and embraces nature more than most in here.
    Bullshit.

Quote Originally Posted by geo039 View Post
    We=humans and "screwed" meaning that we have already broke the planet
    Still not what I meant by specific

As a species we have been influencing global climate on some level at least since we figured out how to grow food and cut down forests for our fields. We have been doing a lot of influencing for the last last couple of 100 years since we figured out how to seriously burn stuff to our benefit. Our various activities obviously affect other species as well as ourselves, in lots of different ways.

We have already caused changes that are largely irreversible for a long period of time. Even if we stopped all carbon and other emissions immediately, what we have put in the atmosphere up to now is going to stick around for a long time unless we actively remove it.

Whether we're already screwed depends strongly on your specific (!) definition of screwed. I would say you and I are not screwed right now but other people perhaps already consider themselves screwed with how things are at the moment.

Quoting from here:

"Human activities are changing the climate. Climate-change impacts are already widespread and consequential. But while science can quantify climate change risks in a technical sense, based on the probability, magnitude, and nature of the potential consequences of climate change, determining what is dangerous is ultimately a judgment that depends on values and objectives. For example, individuals will value the present versus the future differently and will bring personal worldviews on the importance of assets like biodiversity, culture, and aesthetics. Values also influence judgments about the relative importance of global economic growth versus assuring the well-being of the most vulnerable among us. Judgments about dangerousness can depend on the extent to which one’s livelihood, community, and family are directly exposed and vulnerable to climate change. An individual or community displaced by climate change might legitimately consider that specific impact dangerous, even though that single impact might not cross the global threshold of dangerousness. Scientific assessment of risk can provide an important starting point for such value judgments about the danger of climate change."

It is perhaps worth noting that humans have actually managed to get their shit together in a global manner before. A relevant example would be the Montreal protocol (Remember the ozone hole?).

Stuck in the Live Music Capital of the World
    It only stands to reason that where there's sacrifice, there's someone collecting the sacrificial offerings. Where there's service, there is someone being served. The man who speaks to you of sacrifice is speaking of slaves and masters, and intends to be the master. - Ayn Rand

If we had invested the $5 trillion the USA spent on wars post 9/11, in renewable energy that was designed and produced in the USA, we'd be completely energy independent. Currently the USA plan is to spend trillions more on defense, a significant part of which is necessary to protect energy sources. Yet so many people want to act like military and energy expenses are independent.

Thread ----> Polyass

Quote Originally Posted by 1000-oaks View Post
    Thread ----> Polyass
    Why was this thread moved?

Climate change is very much a ski industry issue. And not a political issue at all. Only corrupt politicians want to frame it as such (which I think 1000-oaks eats up). Humanity needs to pull its head out of the sand and make lasting steps to ensure the proliferation of our species.