Page 26 of 71 FirstFirst ... 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 ... LastLast

Thread: Climate Change

Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentUnicorn View Post
    There’s no way that we reach a global consensus and do anything to mitigate the effects of climate change. Look around, no one cares other than bitching about the weather and high fuel prices. I feel bad for my children.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Realistically we don’t need global consensus, we need the largest producers to act.

Quote Originally Posted by oldnew_guy View Post
    Realistically we don’t need global consensus, we need the largest producers to act.
    Look around, it’s not happening

Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentUnicorn View Post
    Look around, it’s not happening

Well, yeah….

And prices of renewables have fallen so fast they are now often the cheapest source of electricity. Market forces will react too slowly but might make the conversion to renewables inevitable.

Certainly something I think about when I take the kids skiing. That and if I should be teaching them a sport that might not be around by the time they are 30.
    Me too. We bought an EV at least partly to drive to ski - I personally don't want my traveling to ski to contribute to the end of skiing. And I wonder all the time if we should get our kids hooked on this sport. Then it think it is probably "better to have loved and lost than never have loved at all."

Sorry if this has already been posted. If you want to reduce/eliminate/or more than offset your carbon impact:
    1. There's online calculators that help you estimate your carbon footprint. They'll come up with a monthly dollar amount you can spend to offset your footprint. But the ones I found/used I didn't like the charity they were involved with as much as the one below.
    2. Once I had the monthly amount I setup a monthly recurring contribution to https://native.eco/ They are very well rated with low overhead costs and allow you to pick which projects your money goes to. I picked one that helped people in Africa get education and healthcare so they don't have to clear cut forests for money.
    Some people complain about the principle of offset programs, but this free market solution is the most efficient way to deal with the issue. I could do everything to cut my personal footprint but I could never eliminate it, and the more I reduce the more expensive it gets. It's much more efficient to help reduce carbon elsewhere, because it's more low hanging fruit.

Yes! And you can always use an offset ratio higher than your calculated footprint to make sure. I like cooleffect.org and project drawdown for what/where solutions are most cost-effective ie best return on your $ in terms of GHG reduction.

Climate Change

I have to laugh when my social media is full of outdoor athletes who post 50% of the time about the emergency that is climate change (and usually come off very smug), yet are constantly off on their next adventure across the globe. Lower 48 to AK to Switzerland to Norway to Antarctica to _____. I know this has been beaten to death but it’s laughable. Their carbon footprints are ridiculous and that’s why they can’t get a leg up on making any major change. How can the average American really feel like they should change their ways when they see these people living the lives they do but are yelling at everyone else to change?

Nothing will change till it has to change.

Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    I have to laugh when my social media is full of outdoor athletes who post 50% of the time about the emergency that is climate change (and usually come off very smug), yet are constantly off on their next adventure across the globe. Lower 48 to AK to Switzerland to Norway to Antarctica to _____. I know this has been beaten to death but it’s laughable. Their carbon footprints are ridiculous and that’s why they can’t get a leg up on making any major change. How can the average American really feel like they should change their ways when they see these people living the lives they do but are yelling at everyone else to change?
    I couldn’t care less about those people. Imagine being the head of a company that’s a massive contributor to global warming who wants to fight tooth and nail to keep pumping out greenhouse gases. You’d be so stoked reading about your opposition eating themselves alive with self defeating purity tests.

Quote Originally Posted by kathleenturneroverdrive View Post
    I couldn’t care less about those people. Imagine being the head of a company that’s a massive contributor to global warming who wants to fight tooth and nail to keep pumping out greenhouse gases. You’d be so stoked reading about your opposition eating themselves alive with self defeating purity tests.
    Good point.

Quote Originally Posted by jonesy View Post
    Nothing will change till it's too late.
    FIFY

I'm doing my part by not flying to Gulmarg/South America/ Iceland. Only domestic for me!!!

Yep.

"Just 100 companies responsible for 71% of global emissions, study says
    A relatively small number of fossil fuel producers and their investors could hold the key to tackling climate change"

https://amp.theguardian.com/sustaina...climate-change

Quote Originally Posted by WMD View Post
    Yep.

"Just 100 companies responsible for 71% of global emissions, study says
    A relatively small number of fossil fuel producers and their investors could hold the key to tackling climate change"

https://amp.theguardian.com/sustaina...climate-change
    Are those companies responsible for the emissions or is it on us for continuing to consume their products?
    dirtbag, not a dentist

Nobody stopped using leaded gas until the government decided to make them.. Good thing back then Bubba's "opinion" didn't matter as much as radical leftist science facts did..
    Last edited by SumJongGuy; 04-28-2022 at 01:43 PM.
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Umm I think we’re at that point. And yet there’s very little action other than talk.

Exactly.

Purity test means literally nobody can talk about climate change.

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using Tapatalk

Climate Change

Sure, but my point was that we need to convince a large part of the population to pivot and make painful changes. No way we can do that when you have people who are preaching nonstop about climate change but also flying everywhere around the globe and heli skiing. No way you’ll be able to connect to the average American.

This: Imagine being the head of a company that’s a massive contributor to global warming who wants to fight tooth and nail to keep pumping out greenhouse gases. You’d be so stoked reading about your opposition eating themselves alive with self defeating purity tests.

Truth is... And I don't know if it was already mentioned. But reducing your carbon footprint was a concept created by the fossil fuel industry to shift the burden of climate
    change responsibility away from the corporate overlords and down to the people. Then, all the while they were pushing the disinformation about climate change. Which put us all at odds with each other on this very topic. When all the while, they could have shifted their corporate paradigm, adopted alternative energies sooner, and created the infrastructure necessary to bring this to the mainstream. I worry it's too little too late now.

Sure, but my point was that we need to convince a large part of the population to pivot and make painful changes. No way we can do that when you have people who are preaching nonstop about climate change but also flying everywhere around the globe and heli skiing. No way you’ll be able to connect to the average American.
    Convincing a large part of the population to change won't work if the suits up high don't make major shifts first. Mainstream consumers won't do it if it isn't affordable and easy to do.

JFC: Pakistan bridge collapse

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-asia-61392134

120° in Delhi 🥵

120° in Delhi 🥵
    Do parts of India become unsurvivable for the poor with the current infrastructure?

Yes. There will be many deaths from the current heatwave, and this will only get worse.