Page 28 of 71 FirstFirst ... 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ... LastLast

Thread: Climate Change

Our lessons from COVID, school shootings, and 9/11 are that property loss - not loss of life - are the only thing that can spur sweeping change.

They have us a bit cornered. With wages stagnating over the last few decades, asking people to electrify their homes and cars is a difficult proposition. With housing prices to the moon and many living on the streets and in cars, the idea of increasing spend it tough to swallow. I'm unsure we can fix climate if we fail to fix the housing and disposable income inequality issues. Actually fuck that. We can't fix climate without fixing all three.

There are countless critical and immediate life threatening issues we are facing right now. It all boils down to the culture war, and that's global too. Elephant in the room.. Occum's Razor..
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Quote Originally Posted by raisingarizona13 View Post
    Oh we are fucked. Big time.

I feel things are snowballing now and the climate is heating more than predicted. Its a negative feedback loop.
    Positive feedback loop.

Positive/negative doesn't refer to the desirability of the outcome, but rather whether a small change in the system will drive that system back toward or away from the current equilibrium. The climate is filled with positive feedbacks (e.g., melting ice caps exposing dark soil and water which absorb more insolation and create further heating) and negative feedbacks (e.g., warmer air holding more moisture creating more cloud cover which reflects insolation back to space and cools things back down). Modeling the magnitude and interaction of those feedbacks is an incredibly difficult task, but right now the positive feedbacks seem to be winning.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Positive feedback loop.

Positive/negative doesn't refer to the desirability of the outcome, but rather whether a small change in the system will drive that system back toward or away from the current equilibrium. The climate is filled with positive feedbacks (e.g., melting ice caps exposing dark soil and water which absorb more insolation and create further heating) and negative feedbacks (e.g., warmer air holding more moisture creating more cloud cover which reflects insolation back to space and cools things back down). Modeling the magnitude and interaction of those feedbacks is an incredibly difficult task, but right now the positive feedbacks seem to be winning.
    Yes. That's what I meant. Skool was a while back now
    dirtbag, not a dentist

Quote Originally Posted by Summer View Post
    I prefer this reality:

Me too

Quote Originally Posted by shaft View Post
    Our lessons from COVID, school shootings, and 9/11 are that property loss - not loss of life - are the only thing that can spur sweeping change.

They have us a bit cornered. With wages stagnating over the last few decades, asking people to electrify their homes and cars is a difficult proposition. With housing prices to the moon and many living on the streets and in cars, the idea of increasing spend it tough to swallow. I'm unsure we can fix climate if we fail to fix the housing and disposable income inequality issues. Actually fuck that. We can't fix climate without fixing all three.
    this. So much public policy is crafted and created without trying to enter the mind of the average voter to see how they see the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Summer View Post
    I prefer this reality:

Quote Originally Posted by WMD View Post
    Me too
    This is status quo best case scenario. Good to know that if we keep fighting to keep things as is with slow but steady progress it's not doomsday. BUT!! we absolutely need to keep status quo. IF the shit kickers control government and actually DO dismantle the EPA in the US and more of Europe falls to Russia or other fascists that status quo best case scenario doesn't hold and we're back to doomsday. FUCKING VOTE!!! Make sure everyone who wants to have a nice world for their great grandkids FUCKING VOTES!

the 1 thing that would help, & seems to never get done> plant more trees!

its not even on the governments table of ideas because they cant build mcmansions where trees are planted
    ski paintingshttp://michael-cuozzo.fineartamerica.com" horror has a face; you must make a friend of horror...horror and moral terror.. are your friends...if not, they are enemies to be feared...the horror"....col Kurtz

The problem with trees is that with global warming and attendant drought already well established the world is losing trees to fire and disease faster than it can grow them. Anyway, by far the most photosynthesis occurs in the ocean--in the form of algae, phytoplankton, photosynthesing bacteria, etc. (Maybe we should encourage algal growth in our swimming pools and pond. Pond scum for the win.)

Quote Originally Posted by baron View Post
    the 1 thing that would help, & seems to never get done> plant more trees!

its not even on the governments table of ideas because they cant build mcmansions where trees are planted
    The government builds Mc Mansions?
    dirtbag, not a dentist

fwiw, we plant 15-30 sitka spruce, red cedars or douglas firs a year.
    maybe it's stupid and useless, but it gives me hope. and it's so cool to stand in a grove of big conifers.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    This is status quo best case scenario. Good to know that if we keep fighting to keep things as is with slow but steady progress it's not doomsday. BUT!! we absolutely need to keep status quo. IF the shit kickers control government and actually DO dismantle the EPA in the US and more of Europe falls to Russia or other fascists that status quo best case scenario doesn't hold and we're back to doomsday. FUCKING VOTE!!! Make sure everyone who wants to have a nice world for their great grandkids FUCKING VOTES!
    It's too little too late. The English accent almost had me too, I can't help it. Whenever I watch something informative, English accents make me feel smart and confident in the information being shared with me. It's like purchasing anything labeled artisan or talking about eating vegetables loudly so everyone around can hear how healthy I eat while shopping at Sprouts. White people....am I right?

The apathetic hopeless attitude of the majority of todays youth is our best chance at fighting climate change. Hopefully birthing rates drop way the F off in the next twenty years. Motivated people make progress happen and most "progress" is what got us into this mess.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

Oh the humanity! It never occurred to me but...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tree_lot-1024x576.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	192.1 KB 
ID:	422149

Jesus titty fucking christ.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

Oh the humanity! It never occurred to me but...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tree_lot-1024x576.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	192.1 KB 
ID:	422149
    Don't you get involved in the War on Christmas, pal.

Is there a valid argument that actively planting, watering, and growing trees to 8 feet over and over on a few acres (or a lot more) is better than how much would grow there and cycle gases left alone? Some of them are pretty massive operations.
    Name:  xmas-trees.jpg
Views: 432
Size:  187.8 KB

Is there a valid argument that actively planting, watering, and growing trees to 8 feet over and over on a few acres (or a lot more) is better than how much would grow there and cycle gases left alone? Some of them are pretty massive operations.
    Name:  xmas-trees.jpg
Views: 432
Size:  187.8 KB
    There's a number of reports on tree growth.

Those sponsored by the timber companies indicate that the planting and harvesting model is more beneficiary than old growth and is carbon negative.
    https://www.ncasi.org/wp-content/upl...sOld_print.pdf

Other studies indicate that young forests (e.g. timber model) are not as carbon negative as but old growth.
    https://www.nature.com/articles/nature12914 ,

Evidently the jury is still out on young versus old forests sequestering more CO2.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    There's a number of reports on tree growth.

Those sponsored by the timber companies indicate that the planting and harvesting model is more beneficiary than old growth and is carbon negative.
    https://www.ncasi.org/wp-content/upl...sOld_print.pdf

Other studies indicate that young forests (e.g. timber model) are not as carbon negative as but old growth.
    https://www.nature.com/articles/nature12914 ,

Evidently the jury is still out on young versus old forests sequestering more CO2.
    A real tree sure makes the house smell good in December. Guess with no proof it's destroying us we'll carry on for now..

Quote Originally Posted by oldnew_guy View Post
    There are all kinds of trees being planted all over the world by Governments and NGOs to fight climate change. Millions of trees.
    of course

but, there must be more getting burnt +those knocked down for construction- everywhere I look there's more and more missing from our landscapes

The 1 thing that could really help is on the fringe of industrial use>Hemp

-Hemp and Hemp Oil can replace thousands of petroleum products and textiles
    -it grows super fast
    -helps knock down co2 lvls
    -and it smells good too/bonus!

One of the old hippy conspiracies is that pot was made illegal to keep hemp off the radar for industrial applications by the oil industry-it was never controlled until oil became a major commodity
    ski paintingshttp://michael-cuozzo.fineartamerica.com" horror has a face; you must make a friend of horror...horror and moral terror.. are your friends...if not, they are enemies to be feared...the horror"....col Kurtz

dirtbag, not a dentist

Definitely equivalent to war crimes^^

I was thinking even worse. These assholes sealed our fate for profits.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

They were just following tobacco's lead and I imagine that similar machinations have gone on in the pharma industries.

Quote Originally Posted by raisingarizona13 View Post
    I was thinking even worse. These assholes sealed our fate for profits.
    Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    They were just following tobacco's lead and I imagine that similar machinations have gone on in the pharma industries.
    People are so fucking stupid gullible also when people they trust tell them what they want to hear. It is like all the Republicans who are surprised their freedom party is going to vote against guaranteed access to birth control. Like duh?

The science of climate change is pretty easy. It only seems complicated when you try to argue with brainwashed morons or the pros spinning the lies.

The outright hatred of windmills and solar you see everywhere right now. It is mind bending how fucking brainwashed you have to be to think those two energy sources are bad. Yet here we are.

Tragic all the way around.

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using Tapatalk

I thought solar was pretty cool until I saw a large farm converted to solar. What an eyesore. Acres and acres of mirrors. Fuck that jazz.