Page 23 of 72 FirstFirst ... 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ... LastLast

Thread: Climate Change

Quote Originally Posted by Jason4 View Post
    My wife and I have chosen not to have kids, my reason is largely related to the environmental impact both of humans on the environment and the environment on future humans.
    But if you did have kids, you'd have taught them to try to help fix the planet and make it a better place. instead, gene pool gets polluted with kids who's parents DGAF and will just trash the place.

Quote Originally Posted by paulster2626 View Post
    But if you did have kids, you'd have taught them to try to help fix the planet and make it a better place. instead, gene pool gets polluted with kids who's parents DGAF and will just trash the place.
    That sounds like Lamarckism. Are your goals and ideals identical to your parents'? Do you call yr mama before making decisions?

Quote Originally Posted by paulster2626 View Post
    Have you ever met a 15 yr old? The younger generation’s attitude on this and other topics is driven by many factors and often runs counter to parental attitudes.

On a related tangent…I remember 20 yrs ago the debate was often ‘1 vs 2’ kids, often driven by the idea / myth of only child syndrome. Now the debate I hear potential parents have together is 1 vs 0. Anecdata for sure, but it seems to be affected when other siblings have already had 1 or 2 kids which reduces the grandchildren pressure factor.

There are also plenty of kids, even young kids who need a loving home and support. If you're against bringing more humans in to the equation, adopting or fostering ones already here who badly lost the birth lottery should be something to consider.
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    There are also plenty of kids, even young kids who need a loving home and support. If you're against bringing more humans in to the equation, adopting or fostering ones already here who badly lost the birth lottery should be something to consider.

Oh I think there are better uses for those resources. Allow me to make a modest proposal.

Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    Oh I think there are better uses for those resources. Allow me to make a modest proposal.
    Well done Glade!

Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    Allow me to make a modest proposal.
    Propose away.. make it very specific please..

Swiftly please, it's important.

It's a literary reference. Jonathan Swift suggested in the satirical piece that rich people just eat poor Irish kids to avoid burdening their parents.

full text

Quote Originally Posted by milestogo View Post
    It's a literary reference. Jonathan Swift suggested in the satirical piece that rich people just eat poor Irish kids to avoid burdening their parents.

full text
    Interesting.. I had already made a similar suggestion... So, I thought they had to be talking about something else that hadn't already been brought up.. see below..

Quote Originally Posted by Asspen View Post
    Counterpoint. If the world really does go to shit, have many kids just like old times. Need a labor pool to help grow food, defend property, and be that extra labor every working farm needs.
    Well, with not as much food growing instead have many kids and eat them!

So, then the answer is Soylent Green?

My wife and I have chosen not to have kids, my reason is largely related to the environmental impact both of humans on the environment and the environment on future humans.
    I love my kids but I would not have kids now. My nephew just had a kid and I wanted to cry because I feel so bad for that little boy. But, humans are shockingly resilient and who can say for sure what it will be like in a few decades, other than that it won't be like it is now. Maybe living in a world with water and food shortages, millions/billions of migrants/refugees, extreme weather, and half the species extinct won't be so bad. For wealthy Americans.

so did we determine if its Man Made or Natural or a lil of both?

Personally, I don't think I should have to trade in my Lexus truck and private plane flying bc the Chinese and Indians do not give a fuck about "carbon footprints".

Limiting our use now seems like an economic and strategic disadvantage given the current geo-political climate

The most woke post ever posted on tgr, I congratulate you good sir.

Quote Originally Posted by SirHeady View Post
    so did we determine if its Man Made or Natural or a lil of both?

Personally, I don't think I should have to trade in my Lexus truck and private plane flying bc the Chinese and Indians do not give a fuck about "carbon footprints".

Limiting our use now seems like an economic and strategic disadvantage given the current geo-political climate
    Hopefully you are being sarcastic?

Natural cycles alone right now would have us in a slight cooling trend. The IPCC report that reviewed 14,000 peer reviewed scientific reports on climate states very clearly that humans are responsible for all of the warming. All. Of. It.

Climate change will destroy our economy. Doubling down is not a good plan.

Want to beat China and India (and Russia)? Become the word leader in renewable and clean energy, in EV's, in photovoltaics, etc. That is the future and we don't win by ignoring it. Invest in clean energy and batteries and dominate. Delay and get crushed. It's that easy.

^^^ But that sounds really hard.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

We live in a world where leaders campaign on 2-8 years of short term happiness with zero accountability for long term viability much less long term happiness. They're funded by big money corporate entities whose ultimate goal is also IMMEDIATE wealth concentration based on capturing revenue streams.. That doesn't bode well for long term investment politically or financially. It's pretty much political suicide to promise and deliver any major commitment to goals that are very costly in the current decade even if they are likely BIG windfalls 50 years from now.

Quote Originally Posted by WMD View Post
    Want to beat China and India (and Russia)? Become the word leader in renewable and clean energy, in EV's, in photovoltaics, etc.
    Nuclear. Anyone who says they want to do something about climate change but doesn't advocate for immense levels of nuclear R&D and deployment is not a serious person. Solar and wind is quibbling in the margins.

Denver is going to get to December without measurable snow for the first time in recorded history, that's something.
    "High risers are for people with fused ankles, jongs and dudes who are too fat to see their dick or touch their toes.
    Prove me wrong."
    -I've seen black diamonds!

throughpolarizedeyes.com

Quote Originally Posted by bean View Post
    Nuclear. Anyone who says they want to do something about climate change but doesn't advocate for immense levels of nuclear R&D and deployment is not a serious person. Solar and wind is quibbling in the margins.
    Statements like this are not helpful. There are LOTS of very serious scientists and engineers who disagree with you and say wind, water, solar and storage can get us where we need to go.

The biggest problem with nuclear, in my mind, is we need to get to 80% clean electricity by 2030 and we won't be able to build much nuclear in that timeframe. Here in WY we are planning a new modular reactor that needs to be built by 2028 to get fed funds, but the technology isn't completely worked out yet and that timeline os very ambitious. Then according to the Wyoming Energy Authority this reactor needs to run for 3 years to prove it works and can generate electricity affordably before others even get approved. Then it will take another 6-10 years to permit and build them. Even if nuclear could help this timeline means we need other solutions.

Quote Originally Posted by WMD View Post
    The biggest problem with nuclear, in my mind, is we need to get to 80% clean electricity by 2030 and we won't be able to build much nuclear in that timeframe. Here in WY we are planning a new modular reactor that needs to be built by 2028 to get fed funds, but the technology isn't completely worked out yet and that timeline os very ambitious. Then according to the Wyoming Energy Authority this reactor needs to run for 3 years to prove it works and can generate electricity affordably before others even get approved. Then it will take another 6-10 years to permit and build them. Even if nuclear could help this timeline means we need other solutions.
    That’s not a “nuclear” problem that’s a government regulation problem. China has no problem standing up new reactors quickly.
    "High risers are for people with fused ankles, jongs and dudes who are too fat to see their dick or touch their toes.
    Prove me wrong."
    -I've seen black diamonds!

throughpolarizedeyes.com

That’s not a “nuclear” problem that’s a government regulation problem. China has no problem standing up new reactors quickly.
    Our government is so dysfunctional at this point, it's ridiculous. I'm not into identity politics so this isn't coming from one side or the other but a lot of the problems with our governments incompetence are from Democrat's environmental policies.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

How much of China's Co2 emissions are the result of producing products going to the US and Euro folks? And, how much of that is actually US or Euro funded contract manufacturing? That's shit that's actually on us as much as China IMHO...

Let's start with the tablets, computers, and smartphones some idiot's caps lock is stuck on..
    This! Americans seem too damn quick to point fingers at China when they absolutely love buying their cheap plastic shit at Walmart.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

The 1000 lb gorilla is if there is just 1 accident then Nuclear is no longer viable for political reasons. For that alone the Gubamint must move slowly and deliberately.

China and a lot of their stolen technology isn't a great example.

This! Americans seem too damn quick to point fingers at China when they absolutely love buying their cheap plastic shit at Walmart.
    while 100% true it does not apply to the problems of cleaner energy.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Today Denver tied the record for latest snowfall in a season; tomorrow we break it.

Quote Originally Posted by raisingarizona13 View Post
    Our government is so dysfunctional at this point, it's ridiculous. I'm not into identity politics so this isn't coming from one side or the other but a lot of the problems with our governments incompetence are from Democrat's environmental policies.
    I work in the environmental field and completely agree that there's lots of bad regulations out there. However, industry has clearly demonstrated that they're incapable of meaningful and universal self-regulation. Imagine 2021's population using '70s or '80s-era pollution controls? Shit would be unliveable, like you see in industrial parts of 3rd world cities.