Page 1 of 71 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Climate Change

Climate Change

Well, that was a depressing article.

Saw that. Great piece. It is more or less exactly what I expected. Good to know the people running the show are completely clueless.

There are still "stalwart climate change deniers"?
    Too funny.

Wow. What a bunch of fucking hypocrites and jackasses. And liars.

Great work by powder mag.

Quote Originally Posted by ADKmike View Post
    Well, that was a depressing article.
    Seriously.

Not surprising. Climate change won't change their bottom line this year, but land swaps might. Humans have a hard time planning for next week let alone looking a decade out.

Which is why we are probably fucked as a species.

Quote Originally Posted by alias_rice View Post
    Not surprising. Climate change won't change their bottom line this year, but land swaps might.
    Bingo.

I suppose at least some of those guys give money to both sides. That's even worse--they can't even pretend they're supporting candidates they believe in but are just making sure that whoever gets elected they've got the fix in. Big donors have a way of getting their way no matter who gets elected.

Props to Aspen Ski Co. Feels weird saying that...

I was completely turned off this issue. so boring. Powder should stick to skiing. There is plenty of other sources to find climate change exposure.

Quote Originally Posted by Elkhound Odin View Post
    I was completely turned off this issue. so boring. Powder should stick to skiing. There is plenty of other sources to find climate change exposure.
    How can you say that? You think that Powder - "the skiers magazine" should NOT talk about issues that are a real threat to POWDER SKIING??!!
    Leave No Turn Unstoned!

Humans are a virus. Lemmings marching as quickly as possible towards extinction.

I'm willing to bet that the more lax public land use policies are what these ski companies are donating for.

The dumbest thing about the article is that we, the hoi polloi, the wads of skiers, are the people who very likely cause a greater than average percentage of carbon emissions.

I may be less of a problem, but there's more I can do about it.

I think the article is spot on but we should not allow that kind of pandering to us to encourage forgetting that it's me and you that are contributing to the problem more than the average h00man.

I'm not going to focus on some visceral executives political manipulations, but instead on the politicians and the system that allows these manipulations.

So, when it's not objectionable, carpool or use public transit when you can. And participate in destroying the Payplan for Political Gain.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    I think the article is spot on but we should not allow that kind of pandering to us to encourage forgetting that it's me and you that are contributing to the problem more than the average h00man.

I'm not going to focus on some visceral executives political manipulations, but instead on the politicians and the system that allows these manipulations.

And participate in destroying the Payplan for Political Gain.
    Agreed, but for those of us who weren't born with a silver spoon it is much easier to live clean when the government enacts laws that enable us to consume less dirty energy as individuals. Tax incentives in Iowa have helped build out enough windmills to provide a third of the power consumed in the state this year with more farms being developed and we have the highest density of windmills in the country. Federal tax rebates enable people to buy electric cars to use that growing source of clean power. Government regulations force my electric company and gas utilities to refund part of my bill in the form of subsidized led bulbs and energy efficient household mechanical equipment. Government mandated fuel economy requirements allow me to burn less gas with the same car and keep my fridge cold with less power. When the owners of ski areas are giving money to the politicians who are potentially working to end programs that help me and you live cleaner we need to know.

Thank you Powder for providing the info...time to renew.

Remember when Bush rolled back efficiency standards for central air conditioners? http://www.appliance-standards.org/c...r-conditioners Individuals are still paying the price for that action which was in all likelihood a result of political donations from energy companies and associated tycoons.

And on the last point totally agree though I am not sure that would solve our current political crisis.
    Last edited by uglymoney; 11-04-2016 at 11:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by uglymoney View Post
    Agreed, but for those of us who weren't born with a silver spoon it is much easier to live clean when the government enacts laws that enable us to consume less dirty energy as individuals. Tax incentives in Iowa have helped build out enough windmills to provide a third of the power consumed in the state this year with more farms being developed and in the works and we have the highest density of windmills in the country. Federal tax rebates enable people to buy electric cars to use that growing source of clean power. Government regulations force my electric company to refund part of my bill in the form of subsidized led bulbs and other equipment. Government mandated fuel economy requirements allow me to burn less gas with the same car and keep my fridge cold with less power. When the owners of ski areas are giving money to the politicians who are potentially working to end programs that help me and you to live cleaner as individuals we need to know and than you Powder for providing the info...time to renew. Remember when Bush rolled back efficiency standards for central air conditioners? http://www.appliance-standards.org/c...r-conditioners

And on the last point totally agree though I am not sure that would solve our current political crisis.
    Right.

The problem with the Powder article is that it points fingers at ski area executives.

I don't have any influence over ski area executives, only myself and an infinitesimal wisp of political influence. I think we agree on gov't policies that encourage clean energy which we should demand.

We might have zero influence over the oligarchs but we still have a free press so as their power continues to increase so should our knowledge of their (wrong)doings. Our infinitesimal polyasshole power is magnified slightly when we know who and what we are up against.

Quote Originally Posted by uglymoney View Post
    We might have zero influence over the oligarchs but we still have a free press
    We do? I thought that was bought ad paid for too ('n' intentional omission)

so as their power continues to increase so should our knowledge of their (wrong)doings. Our infinitesimal polyasshole power is magnified slightly when we know who and what we are up against.
    I've been a fan of 'The Week' lately.

Thanks for the suggestion. New to me. They have an article denouncing daylight savings time...which I love...even if it makes no sense.

Psyched for the guys out Powder to have the balls to put something out like this... I know a few ski area execs in particular are no doubt absolutely furious.

That being said, it would be good to have interviewed some of them, gotten the full picture of what execs are hoping for in return for these donations. I would imagine CC's pretty far down on the list of concerns/priorities for them, and I think that being the central point - instead of only highlighted in the last paragraph, briefly - would have sealed this article from criticism to a much larger degree. The loudest point is perhaps not that they're donating to so many Repubs, but that CC is not even a concern for them when it comes to their lobbying. You'd think we'd be there already with this industry.
    "We're in the eye of a shiticane here Julian, and Ricky's a low shit system!" - Jim Lahey, RIP

Former Managing Editor @ TGR, forever mag.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Dunfee View Post
    Psyched for the guys out Powder to have the balls to put something out like this... I know a few ski area execs in particular are no doubt absolutely furious.

That being said, it would be good to have interviewed some of them, gotten the full picture of what execs are hoping for in return for these donations. I would imagine CC's pretty far down on the list of concerns/priorities for them, and I think that being the central point - instead of only highlighted in the last paragraph, briefly - would have sealed this article from criticism to a much larger degree. The loudest point is perhaps not that they're donating to so many Repubs, but that CC is not even a concern for them when it comes to their lobbying. You'd think we'd be there already with this industry.
    Like I said, these be companies are more interested in guaranteeing land use and expansion of resort properties than climate change.

One day soon the only question in doubt will be, "were they stupid or were they evil"?

Climate Change

I'm really hopeful that efforts like Elon Musk's (the Gigafactory looks pretty promising) will help the world get off or seriously reduce the dependence on fossil fuels. However, will it be too late?
    I'm amazed how many people I meet that recognize climate change but then shrug their shoulders and say there's no way solar or wind could ever replace fossil fuels. Seriously? With that kind of attitude, we'd have never made much progress past the wheel.