Page 34 of 72 FirstFirst ... 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 ... LastLast

Thread: Climate Change

Quote Originally Posted by mar123 View Post
    Bwaa haha San Mateo County cant even power their city and is asking people to reduce their power consumption....and this is the future? yeah ok. Im not against EV's but there are some major issues and concerns that should be addressed.
    Yeah, should stick with gas, because external events never screw with that. We've never had to rely on our enemies to supply us with the one substance our economy needs to be strong. That would just be batshit crazy, right? To let Putin decide if we are in a recession or not? Who would let that happen on their watch? Better stick with gas, cause it's safer.

Quote Originally Posted by AK47bp View Post
    Hol up here for a minute.

So you and your son both agree he should of been an abortion?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

He reminds me regularly of how selfish and short-sighted we were to have him, so yeah, I carry guilt over that with me. Knowing what I know now, and seeing how the world has changed since 1988, he's absolutely right that he should have been a blowjob.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Adirondack View Post
    And you put her in that position because of that compulsory breeding program we have in this country, right?

I'm in my mid 60's, and have a son in his mid 30's, and thank God he has the good sense to realize it would be nothing but cruel and selfish to have children. He's been right about a lot more than he's been wrong about.

Wish I had listened to him, we would both be a few million dollars richer, and much better positioned to deal with a rapidly changing climate, but I found it awfully hard to listen seriously to someone in his 20's about investment opportunities that were centered on a world that will soon look completely different from the one I was born into.
    Name:  download.jpg
Views: 327
Size:  3.1 KB

Putting it out there cause I thought it had some valuable insight and I pretty much agree with what he says.

EV's are great in theory, but the current situation we're putting the cart before the horse. Its pointless to have EV's powered by fossil fuels, yep they are...until we have clean energy its pointless ...Solar, Hydro, and Wind are cute and not everyone can benefit from those... its going to take Nuclear energy to make it work globally...Industry and Agriculture are the main contributors so its silly to go after folks driving gas cars when its going to have zero impact if you dont go after Industry and Agriculture FIRST! AND the negative impacts of mining cobalt, lithium, and nickel on the earth to produce all the batteries for the WORLD? and what we'll do with them after? We should be targeting industry first, agriculture second, setting up the infrastructure to support EV's, then lets deal with producing/transitioning to EV's last.

Shoot they were asking people not to charge their EV's in California over the weekend...pretty clear we dont have the infrastructure, and thats a very small percentage compared to gas powered vehicles in CA...imagine if everyone was driving EV's would be a disaster.

If we go into this EV thing without a concrete plan its going to be an absolute shit show.

I'd encourage everyone to do some research on cobalt and lithium mining watch some YouTube videos...toxic cost of going green. Its all a good idea in theory but we gotta figure something out thats sustainable. Theres only a very few people driving EV's now....imagine if the whole world was driving them and what the impacts on our planet would be not only to produce them but how to power them as well.

Its a tricky thing cause its not going to happen with one administration or by slapping a bunch of regulations on industry that cripple business...its going to have to happen with time and innovation...it cant be forced upon people.

Thats all I got haha...post and ghost. bye.
    You're assuming a climate saving future where everyone replaces their gas powered cars with EV's (and their gas appliances with electric) and otherwise goes right on living the same lives they were living before. That is not what a climate-saving future looks like. Nor is it likely that the earth will continue to support 7B+++ people or anything close to that number.

I can hear the tipping points going over as we speak. Retreat seems more and more to be our only option, throwing up as much token resistance as we can to try to keep the looming catastrophe to a "minimum". Things change; adjust or die. I do think we as a species will come out the other side, but it will no longer be "our" planet ..... we will have learned with much pain and suffering that we're all in this together, and with humility and respect we will eventually, slowly rebuild a better world, having learned from our past mistakes

......... I could be wrong, however. Good climates on both sides, some my best friends are getting fabulous tans, and I"m checking out in 10-20 years so all I care about is the next 5 years of snow fall.

Curmudgeons gonna curmudgeon.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post

You're assuming a climate saving future where everyone replaces their gas powered cars with EV's (and their gas appliances with electric) and otherwise goes right on living the same lives they were living before. That is not what a climate-saving future looks like. Nor is it likely that the earth will continue to support 7B+++ people or anything close to that number.
    So if we can cut it down to 3B people again can we keep the fossil fuel decadence? Nuclear winter also seems like an increasingly likely resolution.

If only there was something we could do..... We can't even get 200 ski freaks to agree on what/where "Upstate NY" is...
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post

I mean, a climate-saving future also involves technological improvement to steel and concrete manufacturing, battery or biofuel propulsion for shipping and air travel, and also some amount of carbon sequestration or removal. But that will just about do it.

Some of that shit is probably going to be kind of expensive, so people will make lifestyle changes around the shifts in relative costs of consumption goods, but we do that constantly already. And we've got a lot of clever financial analysts and engineers who are keen to wring every nickel out of manufacturing and transportation. These problems are mostly solvable.

Don't get me wrong: our land use policies suck and desperately need reform, there are other environmental problems beyond the climate, and our society has social ills and international diplomacy to address.

But climate is a solvable problem. Doing so doesn't mean mass sterilization or giving up a fairly plush quality of life.

Sent from my Pixel 5a using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Adirondack View Post
    He reminds me regularly of how selfish and short-sighted we were to have him, so yeah, I carry guilt over that with me. Knowing what I know now, and seeing how the world has changed since 1988, he's absolutely right that he should have been a blowjob.
    Ya know, you can still fix this mistake, it’ll be messy but you can right this wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Supermoon View Post
    Yeah, should stick with gas, because external events never screw with that. We've never had to rely on our enemies to supply us with the one substance our economy needs to be strong. That would just be batshit crazy, right? To let Putin decide if we are in a recession or not? Who would let that happen on their watch? Better stick with gas, cause it's safer.
    Bwahahah we have more then enough oil here to be self sufficient...for how long who knows, but its a mega f' ton.... we should be drilling here and producing until we get our EV infrastructure up to speed. Then we can make a smooth transition away from combustion engines and fossil fuels.... We dont need Russian oil but unfortunately a lot of European countries do!

and you think oil is bad just wait until we need cobalt, lithium and nickel for batteries. whoops.
    Last edited by mar123; 09-08-2022 at 09:43 PM.

Bwahahah we have more then enough oil here to be self sufficient...for how long who knows, but its a mega f' ton.... we should be drilling here and producing until we get our EV infrastructure up to speed. Then we can make a smooth transition away from combustion engines and fossil fuels.... We dont need Russian oil but unfortunately a lot of European countries do!

and you think oil is bad just wait until we need cobalt, lithium and nickel for batteries. whoops.
    It’s a global market you potato. It doesn’t matter what we produce if it’s commodified across the globe. Even if we aren’t literally buying Russian oil, their price effects the price US oil producers charge. Also, I would venture we don’t want to be tied to Middle Eastern oil either for a variety of similar reasons.

Also, even if we COULD get all the oil we need out of the ground, should we? Is it economical if we account for the externalities it causes?

“We should be drilling here” is a pipe dream based on bad science and hope. Sure maybe a unicorn shooting rainbows out of its ass COULD show up, but more likely we’ll be standing in a river of horse shit.

Quote Originally Posted by Supermoon View Post
    It’s a global market you potato. It doesn’t matter what we produce if it’s commodified across the globe. Even if we aren’t literally buying Russian oil, their price effects the price US oil producers charge. Also, I would venture we don’t want to be tied to Middle Eastern oil either for a variety of similar reasons.

Also, even if we COULD get all the oil we need out of the ground, should we? Is it economical if we account for the externalities it causes?

“We should be drilling here” is a pipe dream based on bad science and hope. Sure maybe a unicorn shooting rainbows out of its ass COULD show up, but more likely we’ll be standing in a river of horse shit.
    Right, but we can influence the market by leveraging supply. And we should also be helping our Euro buds with oil instead of letting them be held hostage by Russia.

So when 2030 rolls around instead of oil were going to rely on "enemy" countries for the production of cobalt, lithium, and nickel for batteries? Really were just swapping out one resource for the other.

ps thanks for the good response enjoying the conversation

Putting it out there cause I thought it had some valuable insight and I pretty much agree with what he says.

EV's are great in theory, but the current situation we're putting the cart before the horse. Its pointless to have EV's powered by fossil fuels, yep they are...until we have clean energy its pointless ...Solar, Hydro, and Wind are cute and not everyone can benefit from those... its going to take Nuclear energy to make it work globally...Industry and Agriculture are the main contributors so its silly to go after folks driving gas cars when its going to have zero impact if you dont go after Industry and Agriculture FIRST! AND the negative impacts of mining cobalt, lithium, and nickel on the earth to produce all the batteries for the WORLD? and what we'll do with them after? We should be targeting industry first, agriculture second, setting up the infrastructure to support EV's, then lets deal with producing/transitioning to EV's last.

Shoot they were asking people not to charge their EV's in California over the weekend...pretty clear we dont have the infrastructure, and thats a very small percentage compared to gas powered vehicles in CA...imagine if everyone was driving EV's would be a disaster.

If we go into this EV thing without a concrete plan its going to be an absolute shit show.

I'd encourage everyone to do some research on cobalt and lithium mining watch some YouTube videos...toxic cost of going green. Its all a good idea in theory but we gotta figure something out thats sustainable. Theres only a very few people driving EV's now....imagine if the whole world was driving them and what the impacts on our planet would be not only to produce them but how to power them as well.

Its a tricky thing cause its not going to happen with one administration or by slapping a bunch of regulations on industry that cripple business...its going to have to happen with time and innovation...it cant be forced upon people.

Thats all I got haha...post and ghost. bye.
    This right here folks is the new climate denial. It doesn't work to say climate change isn't happening so they just spew a bunch of bullshit to make it seem like they have reasonable positions on why we can't address climate change. but it's all bullshit.

Quote Originally Posted by WMD View Post
    This right here folks is the new climate denial. It doesn't work to say climate change isn't happening so they just spew a bunch of bullshit to make it seem like they have reasonable positions on why we can't address climate change. but it's all bullshit.
    I'd buy a Tesla X Plaid tomorrow if I could afford it.... but i'd also like one of those new Broncos too.

I'd buy a Tesla X Plaid tomorrow if I could afford it.... but i'd also like one of those new Broncos too.
    Just get a used plug-in Wrangler. There ya go.

Maybe we can mine the moon for the resources needed for batteries and other things we're short on here.. Also, maybe we can dump the additional toxic waste we generate here up there. What could possibly go wrong?
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    Maybe we can mine the moon for the resources needed for batteries and other things we're short on here.. Also, maybe we can dump the additional toxic waste we generate here up there. What could possibly go wrong?
    Exactly. Just punch a few more holes in the ozone layer and the magnetosphere

Operation Starfish Prime is back!!

Not a climate change denier, but i think the politicians are rushing, without looking at consequences. Not the first time it happened.

Right now, there's no plan on what to do if the wind is inadequate or the sun doesn't shine at night.

Batteries are not the answer, except maybe to help Tesla's profits.

Current technology seems to dictate use of gas power plants, as they can be started and stopped with little delay.

Sent from my moto g 5G using Tapatalk

Unofficial Networks posting about Abasin firing up snow machines in t minus 2 weeks….
    Is it just me seeing the hypocrisy, in what has to be massive energy and water consumption, to fire up snowguns to make 2 WROD’s, closer in date to the 4th of July than Xmas?!?
    Droughts, record summer heat in the west in September, don’t think we need to be playing god trying to create winter before Mother Nature says so

Clearly you are not a marketing executive.

That same marketing head will be blasting out the sustainability teams “Protect our Winter” and sustainability posts for their resort, I just think blowing snow this early flies in the face of that.

Quote Originally Posted by Fishskisurf View Post
    Unofficial Networks posting about Abasin firing up snow machines in t minus 2 weeks….
    Is it just me seeing the hypocrisy, in what has to be massive energy and water consumption
    A Basin gets its water from the North Fork of the Snake River, Denver Water shares the water rights with the ski resorts. When the snow melts it goes back into the Dillion reservoir. Dont really see the issue.

The energy and emissions to move said water uphill

Per A Basin's website, they get most of their energy from renewables and will be 100 percent renewable by 2025.

Also, this sort of whataboutism doesn't make you seem clever.

Not trying to be clever, just pointing out ways in which i feel the ski industry could be more sustainable. Glad they are using renewable energy, & thanks for the warm remarks!

Quote Originally Posted by rod9301 View Post
    Not a climate change denier, but i think the politicians are rushing, without looking at consequences. Not the first time it happened.

Right now, there's no plan on what to do if the wind is inadequate or the sun doesn't shine at night.

Batteries are not the answer, except maybe to help Tesla's profits.

Current technology seems to dictate use of gas power plants, as they can be started and stopped with little delay.

Sent from my moto g 5G using Tapatalk
    Rushing? Are you shitting me?!? They've been dragging the heels for the last 30+ years! Doing nothing is far worse than taking a chance on unknown consequences. And if anybody is telling you that we need to fear these unknown consequences without explaining how they can anticipate them, they're pulling a con.